What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

kr3wman

Noob
So I was messing around with Skarlet for a bit and I noticed that trying to dash in and U+3 is impossible to do. Like with Mileena, you can dash in and U+4 for an overhead launcher, and I can do this easily. But when I tried with Skarlet it always gave me the jump kick instead. Not sure if this is a bug of some kind, and it doesn't necessarily hurt her gameplay, but it is kinda annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?
you can't neutral jump out of a dash, which I guess is what Skarlet is doing.

Yes but I'm talking the straight up Xray. Is Liu Kang's Xray an overhead?
yup.

kr3wman

Noob
Yeah, my comment is exactly what I meant.

Her U+3 is just a neutral jump attack, and since you can't neutral jump out of a dash you can't do U+3 either.

Foamy

Noob
Her 1,1,2 reset in the corner is particularly nasty...

JP, b2, db2, NJP, b2, db2, xx, 2, 3, df2, 1, 1, 2 - 46% ending in reset

You can take out the NJP for 44%
..or take out the JP starter for 43%
..or take out both for a still solid 41%

You can also end any of these with 1, 1, X-Ray for 51%, 51%, 49%, and 48% accordingly.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
her slide cancel into upslash or downslash is being removed its a glitch
Didn't they mention her being able to cancel into her slashes in the little interview type video they did for her? Could of swore they did. Either way, retarded that they're removing it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Didn't they mention her being able to cancel into her slashes in the little interview type video they did for her? Could of swore they did. Either way, retarded that they're removing it.
No they mentioned you can cancel the blood dash into upslash/downslash or slide, the fact that you can cancel dash to slide to up/downslash is the glitch.

I keep hitting walls after things seem to be going well.
I can dagger cancel fluently, locking down aggressive players. I can anti air dagger cancel and get a little combo off of it. When the f43 back to dagger cancels zoning game works, its brilliant, but zoning with dagger cancels relies on them wanting to do anything at all. If they just wait it out I don't see what Skarlets really supposed to do. Play it like a drawn out street fighter e.honda snooze fest, just building meter to use on EN dash and daggers?

I've never had ANY problems with people just chilling back, never making any attempt to do anything other than lower their hitbox.. I know it sounds like I'm such a scrub right now, w/e maybe I am, but I've never had much of an issue with this with any other character . even EN dash seems to be failing me.

It seems like the most unexpectedly idiotic things can give her more trouble than they should. Skarlet is just looking like a big hybrid mess to me right now. Luckily most players will still try to play normally against her so the dagger cancel zoning will work, but now.... its just depressing that shes getting nerfed...I can't wait to get hit by random teleports because of a increase of time before canceling.

/rant

M2Dave

Zoning Master
HurlingDervish said:
I keep hitting walls after things seem to be going well.
I can dagger cancel fluently, locking down aggressive players. I can anti air dagger cancel and get a little combo off of it. When the f43 back to dagger cancels zoning game works, its brilliant, but zoning with dagger cancels relies on them wanting to do anything at all. If they just wait it out I don't see what Skarlets really supposed to do. Play it like a drawn out street fighter e.honda snooze fest, just building meter to use on EN dash and daggers?

I've never had ANY problems with people just chilling back, never making any attempt to do anything other than lower their hitbox.. I know it sounds like I'm such a scrub right now, w/e maybe I am, but I've never had much of an issue with this with any other character . even EN dash seems to be failing me.

It seems like the most unexpectedly idiotic things can give her more trouble than they should. Skarlet is just looking like a big hybrid mess to me right now. Luckily most players will still try to play normally against her so the dagger cancel zoning will work, but now.... its just depressing that shes getting nerfed...I can't wait to get hit by random teleports because of a increase of time before canceling.

/rant
Build enough super meter and do one of the following if your opponent is lowering his/her hitbox with d+3 and/or d+4.

1) Slide. d+3 and d+4 do 1% and 3% of damage respectively. The slide does 8% of damage. You can also slightly delay the slide. The slide should care of the pokes. Even if you somehow get hit, it is no big deal because the aforementioned low pokes barely do any damage.

2) Red dash and throw. It works if you train your opponent to crouch and block.

3) Blood Ball. Only use it when you are up in life for obvious reasons.

Skarlet is fine against any character who has no answers for the dagger. It is characters like Raiden, Kenshi, Smoke, etc. who are difficult match ups for her.

And Kung Wow, of course.

yea thats essentially what I was doing, but he had no interest respecting it or trying something else after I punished it. Never in this game have I ever had to consider winning by a time out. x_x

Oh and I think you can add Rain to that list. Its really sketchy to bait his teleport.

Does anyone know when the slide slash trick is going to be removed? I saw someone say it was going to be around Kenshi's release, but it's been a while since then and it's still there. I then thought it'd come with Freddy, but it didn't.

Is it getting patched or not? Because it's definitely worth learning if not. It turns her fastest normal (1,1) into a full combo (1,1, red slide, up slash, continue) thus massively improving her punish game. It also improves the damage of any combo that can be ended with a red slide, as well as improves the payout of her low mixup game. I'm really sad this trick is leaving.

On another note, geez these Skarlet nerfs rumored are making me upset. Nerfing her kunai rate of fire? Lame! How do we play keepaway now? Back throw damage nerf? Well looks like that mixup is screwed also. Are these all happening, and if so when?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Does anyone know when the slide slash trick is going to be removed? I saw someone say it was going to be around Kenshi's release, but it's been a while since then and it's still there. I then thought it'd come with Freddy, but it didn't.

Is it getting patched or not? Because it's definitely worth learning if not. It turns her fastest normal (1,1) into a full combo (1,1, red slide, up slash, continue) thus massively improving her punish game. It also improves the damage of any combo that can be ended with a red slide, as well as improves the payout of her low mixup game. I'm really sad this trick is leaving.

On another note, geez these Skarlet nerfs rumored are making me upset. Nerfing her kunai rate of fire? Lame! How do we play keepaway now? Back throw damage nerf? Well looks like that mixup is screwed also. Are these all happening, and if so when?
It's all rumor until the patch comes out. If we knew when the patch was coming out, someone would've said something by now or it would be on the front page for upcoming patch notes.

Personally I wouldn't bother playing her until we know what the patch will actually be changing (as rumor'd changes will completely alter her from her current playstyle). Her combos depend heavily on dagger cancelling, and her most powerful mixups depend on red dash to upward or downward slash. The stronger rumors say Kunai throw is getting slowed on cancel, so that may end her dagger-cancel combos, and they also say her Red Dash into Slide into Upward/Downward slash is going to no longer be possible. My question is, will it still be possible to do Red Dash into downward/upward slash, or is that being taken out too? Again, I'm not looking for an answer, as we won't know for certain until patch notes come out.

Somberness

Lights
Of course you will still be able to dash into slashes/xray, that's intended as the property of the moves changes. There is less recovery after a dash~slash but there is also less block stun to even it out. Just not after the slide.

You can get high damage without using a single projectile in a combo and without slide~upslash. I bet very few will even notice the kunai cancel rate change.

I should mention that 1 appears to be 9 frames while 2 is 11 frames. Would be nice to have a 9 frame starter but that isn't too big a difference.

Of course you will still be able to dash into slashes/xray, that's intended as the property of the moves changes. There is less recovery after a dash~slash but there is also less block stun to even it out. Just not after the slide.

You can get high damage without using a single projectile in a combo and without slide~upslash. I bet very few will even notice the kunai cancel rate change.

I should mention that 1 appears to be 9 frames while 2 is 11 frames. Would be nice to have a 9 frame starter but that isn't too big a difference.
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. In a fighting game, 2 frames is a HUGE difference. It determines whether or not you can punish Reptile's elbow dash and Raiden's teleport or not (not specifically Skarlet's moves, but the 2 frames thing). Skarlett could have really used such a starter.

And the red dash to slash thing isn't just a little damage. It's quite a lot of damage. Near the end of a juggle when the scaling is high, the most you can usually end with is an uppercut or kunai toss for one. But what hurts way more than both? Red dash > Upslash > Dash forwards > D1

Projectile cancels may not be used in ALL combos, but there are combos that would be optimal with a projectile cancel. We're losing damage and keepaway ability!

I just wonder if it's worth even learning how to use kunai cancels and red dash cancels at the moment because I dont want to learn something that gets patched out.

Somberness

Lights
Yes, 2 frames can save you but obviously NRS thought she should not have that fast of starter or else they wouldn't have made the special link window that small off 11 that you can only link a slide, kunai or xray. I know slide~upslash can add good damage but it's a glitch just like her throw damage. If they say something is a glitch nobody can really argue against it being taken out. The kunai cancel could just be a little delay before throwing another one which shouldn't affect combos... I think.

sad

Banned
Wondering. How to start anything punishing against high blocking opponents? Skarlet's only strings to hit low seems to be f + 3,3 and b + 1,1,4. But nothing can be started from there? What Skarlet should do against those? Red Dash to Slide? Dealing chip damage?

Somberness

Lights
Throw is always good. Having a low hitting combo opportunity does not really matter as long as there is no non-telegraphed overhead starter and an option to use either to mix it up with. Even if f33 led to a full combo, it would still be much faster than f3~downslash so it would not really help against anyone who knew her moveset properties. You can condition your opponent to slides after f33 (or anything really) and then use the downslash because it has faster startup off the dash. Unsafe, but might be worth it. And probably the only really good use for the f2121+2 string is the large amount of meter it builds, so you can always just repeat that constantly.

f33to slide is actually quite good sometimes if you set get them to block daggers first.

I think when it comes down to it, you're going to have to make some unsafe plays with her though, not unlike scorpion. Play crazy so they aren't ready to punish, if they even know how.

Skarlet so far is feeling like a risk playing character. Seems like she revolves around that dash plus its overhead~low possibility, dagger toss cancelling, and resets via 112. Since, however, some characters are able to hit you out of the red dash for a combo, you'd have to really be careful or condition them into a defensive state before doing it. Same goes for projectile cancelling, but instead, watch out for bad projectile trades or teleports when you start dashing around.

Her pressure seems real good otherwise, with decent mixups (amazing if you count the red slide slash cancel) and a great projectile mindgame set (holding kunai is REALLY intimidating). Something that seems practical to me is a dagger toss hold, jump out of it, and teleport. Nice projectile fake to an alternative atttack.

I thought I should also mention that Skarlet -does- have a low combo starter at the moment. Emphasis on "at the moment." Red slide > Up slash hits low and provides a juggle that you can do whatever you want with, but only until it gets patched out (if it does).