What's new

Black Canary General Discussion 2.0

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Ok, I have a question for some of you guys who know the character so well..

So, Ive been reading up on Canary... I've been interested in her since day 1, but only now sitting down to try and understand her a little more and the issue I'm coming across isnt the same issue with a lot of characters.. and that's lack of info.. For Canary, there an overload of it. Reading through some of this stuff is bonkers and for someone wanting to kinda try her out, its kind of hard to know where to start.

@Take$$$ has postulated this 'cornerless' idea for her, and I LOVE the idea of that. I like to boil things down and keep them as condensed as possible and I despise having to learn corner games on top of everything else you usually have to keep track of.. The idea of keeping people out on purpose has pretty much sold me on checking her out in a serious way.

So, my question is, if anyone is willing to answer.. What is a condensed list of what I need to learn/lab with her to get started? I see the guides breakdown of strings and normals and such, and after reading through here it looks like everything should always end with 112 1+3, and you're primary oki followups off of this are.. j2 into 2(etc) and dash up, tap forward, 2(etc)? Ive looked through the combo thread, but what combos am I going to find myself using the absolute most? Like I said, Id like to condense this into as few combos as possible that are significantly different than one another.. And finally, I know about the delayed, blocked j2 into Canary drop crossup, but what other shenanigans like that are central to her gameplan? I guess Im asking for a basic Black Canary Toolkit. Dont need the specialty stuff yet, that'll come with time, just the most used stuff.

I realize what Im asking is a tall order, but the more I read up on her, the less I know where to begin. I know that in a perfect world I just go grind a million matches and figure it out, but my game time is limited and I have to make what use of it I can.

Thanks guys.
For now check the guide. It's the cleanest and easiest way to get straight into her. Ignore the tech spreadsheet and tech thread here. Use the combos in the guide they are easy and damaging. I covered setup/damage/reset combos. Best thing to know is figure out how you want to play her. For damage,resets,or setups.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Ok, I have a question for some of you guys who know the character so well..

So, Ive been reading up on Canary... I've been interested in her since day 1, but only now sitting down to try and understand her a little more and the issue I'm coming across isnt the same issue with a lot of characters.. and that's lack of info.. For Canary, there an overload of it. Reading through some of this stuff is bonkers and for someone wanting to kinda try her out, its kind of hard to know where to start.

@Take$$$ has postulated this 'cornerless' idea for her, and I LOVE the idea of that. I like to boil things down and keep them as condensed as possible and I despise having to learn corner games on top of everything else you usually have to keep track of.. The idea of keeping people out on purpose has pretty much sold me on checking her out in a serious way.

So, my question is, if anyone is willing to answer.. What is a condensed list of what I need to learn/lab with her to get started? I see the guides breakdown of strings and normals and such, and after reading through here it looks like everything should always end with 112 1+3, and you're primary oki followups off of this are.. j2 into 2(etc) and dash up, tap forward, 2(etc)? Ive looked through the combo thread, but what combos am I going to find myself using the absolute most? Like I said, Id like to condense this into as few combos as possible that are significantly different than one another.. And finally, I know about the delayed, blocked j2 into Canary drop crossup, but what other shenanigans like that are central to her gameplan? I guess Im asking for a basic Black Canary Toolkit. Dont need the specialty stuff yet, that'll come with time, just the most used stuff.

I realize what Im asking is a tall order, but the more I read up on her, the less I know where to begin. I know that in a perfect world I just go grind a million matches and figure it out, but my game time is limited and I have to make what use of it I can.

Thanks guys.
Hey, thank you!!! I made a playlist that kinda shows everything essential to her(imo and with some redundancy) as things stand right now(since coming to the conclusion that she has a legit vortex off 112 1+3 on almost the entire cast changed a lot for me):

And the tech @xKhaoTik posted is the core of all of this:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
For now check the guide. It's the cleanest and easiest way to get straight into her. Ignore the tech spreadsheet and tech thread here. Use the combos in the guide they are easy and damaging. I covered setup/damage/reset combos. Best thing to know is figure out how you want to play her. For damage,resets,or setups.
So, apparently when I looked over the guide before, since I was sleep deprived and largely out of it.. I derped and didn't realize it literally answered my questions all ready for the most part.

I just sat down for 30m give or take, and actually went through the combos and such.. very surprised at how easily I started to get them down. Damn sure not 10/10ing anything except the main 1bar combo. Still have to get the timing down on the ji2 into 112. I either let it fly too early and whiff the 2 or too late and they just fall on the ground lol.

Anyway, thanks a ton @Take$$$ and @x TeeJay o . Going to go over that playlist here in a few and jot down some notes. Tomorrow might try to grind some matches.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
j3 was my first choice after 112 1+3 for quite a while. however e.g. robin catches canary with his weird magnetic wake-up. again it is not as consistant as I would hope it to be, also because lying on the floor remains an option too. I am not convinced yet.

I think 113 could be the better ender in terms of setups, but I have no idea how to hit with it midscreen. maybe some other string into cartwheel (also to change wakeup inputs) will do the job.

learning different timings for different match-ups might work after a lot of practice. however i doubt that this works in a tournament enviorment.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
j3 was my first choice after 112 1+3 for quite a while. however e.g. robin catches canary with his weird magnetic wake-up. again it is not as consistant as I would hope it to be, also because lying on the floor remains an option too. I am not convinced yet.

I think 113 could be the better ender in terms of setups, but I have no idea how to hit with it midscreen. maybe some other string into cartwheel (also to change wakeup inputs) will do the job.

learning different timings for different match-ups might work after a lot of practice. however i doubt that this works in a tournament enviorment.
Yeah but the point of ending off 112 1+3 is that the distance it leaves you at while also being +25 means you should be able to avoid autocorrect issues like that, and if not then you just need to make very slight adjustments. I'm personally finding j3 and j2 off 112 1+3 to be really consistent due to how easy it is to pull off though, since the timings are roughly the same for every character(as soon as you start going down from the peak of your jump), and any other timings are very simple(like taking a step or two forward before jumping). I'll do Robin specifically for you in a bit though and let you know, so I can say if it works 100% on him or not.

I know Robin definitely cant backdash out, I've stuffed every backdash in the game(I may have missed one or two) reliably off 112 1+3 with j2 and j3(same timings for blowing up their wakeups on like, all of them) except for cw which is wonky af.

In the end it's all relative to how much work you're willing to put in to get to where you want to be with a character or tech, but this should allow people to abuse others on wakeup without having to put tons of time into the character. Idk, the j2/j3 stuff off 112 1+3 is extremely solid and easy enough to pull off in matches without worrying if you'll drop it imo.

Btw the other 2 characters aside from sm and sg that probably have options out that I could think of are Batman and Catwoman, but cw especially actually might not be able to get away. If there's anyone you want me to check in particular just let me know!

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Also, I was definitely wrong about Superman and Catwoman(I might even be wrong about supergirl and batman but I'll hold off on them for a bit). After thinking about it then testing my ideas, it turns out that Canary has some character-specific vortexes on them apparently, and they involve walk forward/J3/Canary Drop(the db2 is less important for Superman though). The Superman one is 100% practical just really hard, but still easier than a lot of stuff people do on the reg, and the Catwoman one is kinda easy to get down since it's pretty much the same walk distance as Superman but with much more lenient timing restrictions.

Good info guys. But I am having trouble getting the 2nd j2 after the b3. Seems like I cant get off the ground fast enough. I tried damn near 30min trying to get it.

Good info guys. But I am having trouble getting the 2nd j2 after the b3. Seems like I cant get off the ground fast enough. I tried damn near 30min trying to get it.
The key is actually the first J2. You connect that one late/on the way down. Then you'll hit the 2nd J2 on the way up. You'll land at nearly the same time as the opponent in perfect 1121+3 range.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
So I'm not sure how I'm going to release this video on her vortex. On one hand it's important and I want it to look good, and on the other hand I just cant deal with editing it and learning this new program right now, so I might release it very lazily or in all its different parts.

So here's a list of the 17 characters(all recorded) that 112 1+3 j2/j3 is a legit practical metered(can loop meterlessly sometimes) vortex on in case I end up procrastinating too long:

Cheetah (j2)

Deadshot (j2)

Ivy (j2)

Bane (j2)

Scarecrow (j2)

Black Adam (j2)

Joker (j2)

Harley (j2)

Green Lantern (j2)

Flash (j2)

Dr Fate (j2)

Green Arrow (j2)

Darkseid (j2 or j3, doesn't matter too much)

Blue Beetle (j3)

Grodd (j3)

Braniac (j3)

I forgot to test Aquaman's Water Shield, but he's a j2 if it loses to it(which I think it does). Might have to use j3 though which is fine tbh.

-

Characters that can be vortexed midscreen off 112 1+3 but require character specific stuff(only have atro out of these 3 recorded rn):

Atrocitus (jump and react with db2 is a punish to wakeup & backdash, if he does nothing you just fall with a j2 or j3 and mix)

Catwoman (specific walk forward j3 timing, if she wakes up the j3 beats her wakeup and if sh backdashes you can punish with db2 because you recover in time. short & long delay still lose)

Superman (kind of tight j3 timing that catches everything)

-

Characters that probably have a specific midscreen vortex off 112 1+3(going to try d3 and 113 enders midscreen on this group too, none of these recorded yet), but require me to test them a bit more to be 100% certain:

Captain Cold (this one is actually really bizarre and I used regular cartwheel to get it done, but still needs a tiny bit more testing to check a couple more normals and see if they win. D3 ender might make it more simple)

Cyborg (very very very tight j3 timing to catch everything so you can db2 if he backdashes, but I might just be bad)

Swamp Thing (I actually didn't spend too much time on him but I'm pretty sure it's dash up something because I got it to work once)

Firestorm & Robin (these are still weird to me and I want to test more before saying anything. d3 ender might make things more simple again)

Supergirl & Wowo (most likely get bodied by j3 with a d3 ender, pretty sure wowo loses to a well timed j3 off of 112 1+3 too but I think it's a suuuuper ridic tight window)

-

(obv none of these recorded yet either) Characters that I haven't tested some of my newer ideas and timings on enough to say anything either way:

Batman (If I can get this OS to work he'll definitely be vortexable)

Red Hood (bizarre situation with this guy from the little time I spent on him)

Black Canary (I just forgot to test this stuff on myself ok? lul)

Last edited:

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Yeah but the point of ending off 112 1+3 is that the distance it leaves you at while also being +25 means you should be able to avoid autocorrect issues like that, and if not then you just need to make very slight adjustments. I'm personally finding j3 and j2 off 112 1+3 to be really consistent due to how easy it is to pull off though, since the timings are roughly the same for every character(as soon as you start going down from the peak of your jump), and any other timings are very simple(like taking a step or two forward before jumping). I'll do Robin specifically for you in a bit though and let you know, so I can say if it works 100% on him or not.

I know Robin definitely cant backdash out, I've stuffed every backdash in the game(I may have missed one or two) reliably off 112 1+3 with j2 and j3(same timings for blowing up their wakeups on like, all of them) except for cw which is wonky af.

In the end it's all relative to how much work you're willing to put in to get to where you want to be with a character or tech, but this should allow people to abuse others on wakeup without having to put tons of time into the character. Idk, the j2/j3 stuff off 112 1+3 is extremely solid and easy enough to pull off in matches without worrying if you'll drop it imo.

Btw the other 2 characters aside from sm and sg that probably have options out that I could think of are Batman and Catwoman, but cw especially actually might not be able to get away. If there's anyone you want me to check in particular just let me know!
I have had some lab time today and I am quite content with the outcome. I am still not convinced that 112 1+3 is the way to go. However I have found quite a few other hard knockdowns that provide plenty of plus frames on hit. Besides these set-ups leave you at a great range to follow up with j2/j3 (= they catch Superman's backdash and happen to be cross-ups against opponent that just stand up right away):

i.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, j1, d3.
ii.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, d2-df3, 33-df3.
iii.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, walk forward, d2-df3-d3.

All these setups provide pretty similar damage. However only some of them change sides, so if you like to have your opponent towards the corner (like I do), you might want to vary.

Besides a level 1 trait on an airborne opponent provides plenty of plusframes too. It can be tech-rolled though. I did:

iv.) Trait (level 3), dash, j2, 11~db2 (mb), b3, j2, j2, 11-trait.

I haven't tested how these setups work against wake-ups though. I am positive that they might be no worse than 112 1+3. However plenty of cartwheels (see setup no ii.) might mess with wake-up inputs.

---

Besides I suggest that you look up my new combo in the other thread. I guess, most of you don't even know that you can do bf2 (mb) and hold forward to do a cross-up. I was surprised myself when this happened to me by accident. This leads to optimized damage and many new mix-up options, especially with j3 (that hits behind Black Canary).

So this is a lot of new stuff and I am excited where we go from here... :)

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
I have had some lab time today and I am quite content with the outcome. I am still not convinced that 112 1+3 is the way to go. However I have found quite a few other hard knockdowns that provide plenty of plus frames on hit. Besides these set-ups leave you at a great range to follow up with j2/j3 (= they catch Superman's backdash and happen to be cross-ups against opponent that just stand up right away):

ii.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, d2-df3, 33-df3.
iii.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, walk forward, d2-df3-d3.

All these setups provide pretty similar damage. However only some of them change sides, so if you like to have your opponent towards the corner (like I do), you might want to vary.

Besides a level 1 trait on an airborne opponent provides plenty of plusframes too. It can be tech-rolled though. I did:

iv.) Trait (level 3), dash, j2, 11~db2 (mb), b3, j2, j2, 11-trait.

I haven't tested how these setups work against wake-ups though. I am positive that they might be no worse than 112 1+3. However plenty of cartwheels (see setup no ii.) might mess with wake-up inputs.

---

Besides I suggest that you look up my new combo in the other thread. I guess, most of you don't even know that you can do bf2 (mb) and hold forward to do a cross-up. I was surprised myself when this happened to me by accident. This leads to optimized damage and many new mix-up options, especially with j3 (that hits behind Black Canary).

So this is a lot of new stuff and I am excited where we go from here... :)
I dunno, I think you missed my post because we were prob making ours at the same time, but it's right above you. But basically I just posted, specifically, the 20 characters you get a guaranteed mixup on that loops(idk why I typed that/this instead of just saying vortex lul) off of 112 1+3, and likely adding 7 more characters to that list. Possibly even adding the last 3 chars after those 7 to the list, which would make it all 30 chars that get vortexed! I just have a really hard time justifying doing anything thats not 112 1+3(potentially d3 and/or 113 midscreen against very specific characters), and going to the corner seems even more suspect to me now that her midscreen game is looking even more ridiculous than before.

It's going to take a lottttt for an ender to be worth using over 112 1+3 imo, esp now that I'm finally getting around to posting proof(reaaaaalllllllly don't want to spend forever editing this video -;____;-). Not to mention that since the range you get from 112 1+3 is a huuuugeee reason the vortex works, there's a pretty good chance you lose the vortex on most of the cast in the corner.

iii.) 11-db2 (mb), b3, j2, walk forward, d2-df3-d3: I like this one for a d3 ender while also getting away from the corner if my d3 theory for those couple characters ends up being correct. I actually did know about the bf2 stuff you mentioned, I happened upon it by accident as well around the end of may lmao. I just never use bf2 unless it's to go for the killer mix sequence or to end a round.

I also still think that 33 df3 will always be a waste of an ender and + frames(except against possibly a character or two), and that the mb version is a waste of a bar just to be +1. Whenever I've tried the 33 df3 stuff against good players like foxy or my little brother(The Magician), it just never ever works because they always block the mb and know how to wake up against reg flip so I end up in a bad spot.

If I could make a tiny suggestion here though:

I would reverse the jump inputs and do j1 j2. From personal experience it's much easier to catch air escapes after mb db2, b3, if you j1 first then j2. But yeah this has been my bnb(minus the 11 since it's just a starter) ever since Khaotik posted the 21 mb db2 tech on launch. I usually do j2 j2 instead though, but if they start escaping I add in the j1s. That double trait combo is rrrreeeeeaaaallllllllyyyy cool too, but I dont think you should worry about them tech rolling, since I imagine you'll only do that combo in the corner where tech rolling gets a lot weaker against her.

Last edited:
I just wanna say something real quick....

You know how when Canary does a B1 or B2 or D3 and it goes right under the opponents jab.... but it doesn't hit because the opponent is Superman/Firestorm/Supergirl/Dr.Fate/Green Lantern and they are "flying/floating" characters?

Yeah.

It's fucking bullshit.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

You know how when Canary does a B1 or B2 or D3 and it goes right under the opponents jab.... but it doesn't hit because the opponent is Superman/Firestorm/Supergirl/Dr.Fate/Green Lantern and they are "flying/floating" characters?

Yeah.

It's fucking bullshit.

I did MBB3 against a Black Adam and it when under his F21. I shit you not.

Hello everyone,

I would like to add my personal experience and philosophy on the evolution of Black Canary.

Initially, Black Canary appears to be a Touch of Death character. However, in long sets against an adaptable opponent each setup slowly becomes an unsafe situation where the Black Canary is more afraid of pulling the trigger on Canary Drop MB than the opponent is of successfully blocking it.

The recent discovery of @Take$$$ 's 112 xx Throw ender tech appeared to me, at least at first, to be the saving grace of her Touch of Death play style. Unfortunately, the safety issue remains a problem and delayed wake-up avoids the setups completely.

My most recent set vs my sparring partner @hard_goodbye has had me explore a mixture of what @jokey77 has brought to the discussion along with @Take$$$ 's tech. I have come to the conclusion that the best combo ender is in fact 112 xx Throw, and, the best okizeme option is to time the J2 and follow-up with 21/23 or a delayed 2-1 followed by Trait 2/3. Doing so increases the safety of her mix-ups while also keeping the defenders options to a minimum.

Performing a 21/23 or delayed 2-1 xx Trait 2/3 and converted using J2, 11 xx Canary Drop MB, B3, J1, J2, 112 xx Throw completely recharges Trait 2 upon landing after a J2. This type of conversion takes advantage of the 112 xx Throw ender and provides an opportunity to impose a 21/23 or delayed 2-1 xx Trait 2 mix-up. Unfortunately, this conversion doesn't wall carry very well and is susceptible to Air Tech.

In summary, I believe the evolution of Black Canary is to use maximum wall carry conversions, use her Trait 2/3 to impose safer mix-ups, and reserve her setups as a comeback factor.

All thoughts are welcome and looking forward to hearing them :)

@Compbros, @xKhaoTik

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Do you guys want to set up a room sometime to practice? I'm more of visual learner, so I appreciate the vids. I play on PSN (khayri). I don't mind being the training dummy as long as I'm learning.
I'd be down. We could call it "Crimson Burning Canary Sundays".

Yeah.

It's fucking bullshit.
I drives me up the wall when I whiff a D3 on a flying character. Especially something like Adam's F1 whatever string. You whiff, and you get to sit there and watch them whiff a string you could have gotten a hit off of

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Green Lantern's wall also stops projectiles, as does Crow's Fear Wave Thing and probably others I'm forgetting