What's new

Black Canary General Discussion 2.0

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
She really just needs NRS to fix all their wonky hurtboxes so she can actually poke with her B1/D3/D1 and not whiff on all floaters and several non-floaters who just don't have hurtboxes on their legs for whatever reason. So many times I've B1'ed SubZero/Hellboy/Redhoods legs while they're advancing at me with one of their strings only to go completely through their legs and get bopped by whatever strings they're using :mad:

Better D2 would be nice, but I kinda wish they would increase the priority on her thrust kick anti-air. Its pretty frustrating to make a correct read and go for an 30+ frame anti-air that doesn't even have the priority to stuff the jump-ins she struggles with. But overall she's a terribly fun character to use, and satisfying when you win with her!

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Is Canary hard to pick up? I'm in the process of deciding on a new rushdown character to learn and any tips would be lovely.

Madog32

Is Canary hard to pick up? I'm in the process of deciding on a new rushdown character to learn and any tips would be lovely.
She's not that tough. She's got lots of fun setplay, and the flexibility of her trait is fun to utilize. Learning the meterless vortexes for the proper characters, and juggling where/when to use trait are really the main things to get down. I'd say her footsie game is sub-par and good luck anti-airing anyone with a semi-decent jump-in.

Though I'm not really sure who you'd be using her for that Cheetah and BB don't already cover (maybe Atom or deadshot? Or raiden?)

Espio

Kokomo
She's not that tough. She's got lots of fun setplay, and the flexibility of her trait is fun to utilize. Learning the meterless vortexes for the proper characters, and juggling where/when to use trait are really the main things to get down. I'd say her footsie game is sub-par and good luck anti-airing anyone with a semi-decent jump-in.

Though I'm not really sure who you'd be using her for that Cheetah and BB don't already cover (maybe Atom or deadshot? Or raiden?)

So you're telling me she has a bunch of different set ups based on the hitbox size of characters? Is it overly complicated? I'm excited about strategic trait management for various types of space control though.

I'll see what I can do, I'm good at doing more with less and regards to weaknesses. Her down 2 doesn't seem so terrible.

Yeah, I wasn't picking up Canary for any match up help, she's one of the last characters I would pick up for that purpose lol. It's just exploratory meta/analysis appreciation and for fun.

Beetle and Cheetah don't care about Atom and Deadshot, I don't know if anyone cares about Raiden lol.

@Espio she's relativly easy to pick imo, if you wanna pick this character up this guide covers most stuff, https://testyourmight.com/threads/the-ultimate-black-canary-guide-updated-8-23-17.63726/
Thank you sir.

Madog32

So you're telling me she has a bunch of different set ups based on the hitbox size of characters? Is it overly complicated? I'm excited about strategic trait management for various types of space control though.

I'll see what I can do, I'm good at doing more with less and regards to weaknesses. Her down 2 doesn't seem so terrible.
She has some resets that don't work on larger bodies etc. She also has different meterless vortexes depending on the character/wakeup and you'd need to know which to use to effectively keep pressure on them after knockdown. The flexibility of her trait is also fun to play with, as you can use it to hit confirm after an 21/3 mixup by holding it or canceling for pseudo-safety after some conditioning etc. Her scream can often be her only real footsie tool against some characters, which makes you play several MUs differently.

Her D2 is 8f which is nice, but it doesn't reach very high, she doesn't stay that low while using it so she trades a lot, and she often does not turn around to face the right way to D2 anti-air a cross-up, nor does it have any kind of hitbox above or behind her head like many other D2s. But its not entirely useless - its quick. Often times D3 anti-airs far better than D2 hehe

Unless your training partner is a CC/Starfire/WoWo main, she should have enough going on to keep you entertained for a while

Last edited: