What's new

Ask Liu Kang Thread

Is the Dragon Stance cancellable from strings? If yes, Liu has traps like Sonya?
No, you can't cancel into DS. You can go into it smoothly off of a blocked or landed jump in punch, but that is all I think. Even if you could cancel into it, it still wouldnt work like sonya's. I dont think there is a way to drop an opponent into a standing position off of a kang combo like you can with sonya, and that leaves you vulernable to wake up attacks if you dragon stance.

what is exact timing for this,and do you have any tips? I have problem connecting b312 after Xray. I hold forward button as soon as Xray is over (to move just a little bit), but I always miss b3 ?
Not to doubt peanuts, but, I'm actually 100% sure you can combo after the X-Ray if you dash. As for the timing. It's hard to say, lol.. but you probably need to wait longer than you think you do.

Im with mcpeanuts on this one. Just walk for a split second before starting it up, just go into practice mode it should come in time.

Can anyone confirm this? --- Tonight I was playing this guy and every time he jumped in on me I would backdash and catch him with b3,1,2. Is this something you can practice to do every time or was I just facing someone with little knowledge of the game?

I need some help defeating Mileena players..

1. After teleport, what should I do? I tried punishing after teleport,sai but I just get hit in the face. Should I just uppercut or release block after the sai hits and than try to punish?

2. Her overhead while slow has push back on it.. Wtf am I supposed to do about this? Should I be using f1,2 to get in on her?

Also, any other tips/suggestions would be helpful.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
I need some help defeating Mileena players..

1. After teleport, what should I do? I tried punishing after teleport,sai but I just get hit in the face. Should I just uppercut or release block after the sai hits and than try to punish?

2. Her overhead while slow has push back on it.. Wtf am I supposed to do about this? Should I be using f1,2 to get in on her?

Also, any other tips/suggestions would be helpful.
1) Block the move and duck immediately to avoid getting trapped by the sais and uppercut her. She stays airborne anyways so it gives you enough time to apply that. But if they hit you on block anyways, just jump out of there or mix her up with a b31 and maybe overhead afterwards or however way you want to apply this mix up. IF there are no sais or the player did them way to high up in mid air, waits until they slightly land and punish with your regular bnbs. Same applies to her roll. ON block, it is a pretty weird hitbox to punish at first, but you're actually supposed to wait a bit before punishing.

If She is really predictable, EX PArry it...or parry it if you're a bit unsure. Preferably on wake up.

You could also dash under those teleports just like kung lao's teleport.

2) You should always keep your distance so you don't fal for her footsie/overhead game and bait her moves in order to get in. It's not that hard. Low Fireball > Sais. But be very careful when throwing out fireballs.

Her'es a video that may give you an idea. Watch how ATL Redd plays these match ups against mileena with liu kang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wCh1UQJ1lSI

18:18 and 29:00 (Especially 29:00...It's the reason why I don't hate this match up anymore)

Thanks for the videos..

19:53 - Liu Kang crouch blocks both teleport kicks and releases block while the sai is being thrown which passes overhead and allows him to quickly b3,1,2 for punish combo. Is this confirmed or was it just luck? Does Liu really have this low of a hitbox?

29:38 - Liu Kang stand blocks a point blank sai and easily has enough time to start up his b3,1,2.

Every other time he just let her fall before b3,1,2, I guess punishing her teleport is just a matter of timing.

Her roll I got down pretty much, and as for her footsie game its not the problem, its punishing it/knowing what to do once I block the overhead. Im not sure what to do once I bait it out and block, maybe there isnt anything and I should zone and bait teleport kick punishes instead? Im gonna go into practice and see what I can find out.

Liu_Kang

Noob
How strong is liu kang zoning? What characters should i be trying to keep away from me?
Characters with no teleport.

Guys, i recorded a match against a good kano player (TwinBlade) ...i´m liu kang. I need tips and advices from great liu playeres here :photo:

Thanks!

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Wait...just a question about your playstyle...

What do you use bicycle kick for?

Characters with no teleport.

Guys, i recorded a match against a good kano player (TwinBlade) ...i´m liu kang. I need tips and advices from great liu playeres here :photo:

Thanks!
0:29 - You do an air to air jump punch here but don't combo after it. You could be getting a lot more damage here if you f12 or dash b312 as you land.

0:34 - I wouldn't really recommend EX flying kick in this matchup. You've got the advantage from long range, so just stay at range as long as you can. Not a matchup where you need to rush down.

1:03 - You had him here if you just did 5 reps of b312. He's got breaker, but he may have decided this round wasn't worth fighting over and just saved the meter for the next round. However by going for the njp and not getting it, you neither killed him nor forced him to break. If the 37% 5 reps of b312 combo is going to kill then there's no reason to go for the njp stuff. Don't make things harder on yourself than you need to.

Granted you got the uppercut after the drop and won the match, but you gave TwinBlade a chance to get back in this one and it could have cost you.

3:07 - Good job making the right read that he was going to throw a knife. However I already mentioned I don't like EX flying kick in this matchup. If you think he's going to throw a knife here, wake up with low fireball. You had him on the ropes and you should have been able to win this one without spending meter.

In general I thought you did well here, you won every round you played and hey that's what you set out to do. I'm not a huge fan of the bicycle kicks but that's really a personal preference thing and if they're working for you then more power to you. I think your biggest problem is that you're a bit too quick to spend meter, there were a few times where TwinBlade had you in a combo that you couldn't break because you spent all your meter on EX parry or something.

Liu_Kang

Noob
Hey mcpeanuts!

Thank you very much for you good advices and tips.

I need to remember to combo after winning a jump punch, i always forget that :/

You are right about the meter. I need to be more "thinker".

Thank you!

Sometimes I will jump away and then immediately do an ex bicycle kick after a corner combo. If they do anything but block they will just run into your armor, and when you jump away they think its an opportunity to get out of the corner. Just something I do on occasion, you can try it or not try it. I wouldn't risk doing a bicycle kick as a wake up attack, and you have better options for anti air with Liu kang. Air to air jump punch, neutral jump punch into combo, parry, ex parry into combo, dragon stance 1 if you're fast enough, or you could just back up and let them land in front of you to try to slip in a b312. I think bicycle kicks are a bad habit to get into. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Also, I dont think Kang being able to zone characters without a teleport is valid.

Shang Tsung = no teleport and outzones kang
Sindel = no teleport and outzones kang
Kitana = no teleport and outzones kang
Jade = no teleport and outzones kang
Kabal = no teleport and outzones kang
Nightwolf = no teleport, has a reflect, zoning makes things.. interesting.
Sub Zero = no teleport and cannot be zoned by kang without risking bad trades from iceball or ex freeze.
Kenshi = no teleport and outzones kang
Sonya= no teleport, can be zoned some by kang
Jax = no teleport, can be zoned by kang
Baraka = no teleport, can be zoned by kang
Kano = no teleport can be zoned by kang
Johnny Cage = no teleport, but I'm not sure about this one. I feel like I should be able to zone him, but I never can.
Stryker = no teleport, but same as cage, because they both have anti air projectiles.

At best, your statement was 50% correct.

edit, took out skarlet since it turns out she has a teleport. This is apparently a shocking discovery to some, like, myself.

Can his instant air fire be done close enough to the ground to hit a standing opponent? I've been trying it but the B,F inputs are hard for me after a neutral jump.
It is possible but the timing is strict. What do you mean about a neutral jump? You should be doing it with a jump backwards; the idea is to perform the jump and input the B for the fireball at the same time.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
@ liu_kang
There is a video critic thread...., and your doing pretty good against kano soo i see no flaw except the zoning you were trying to do...I mean its ok... to IAFB most characters... but since kanos projectile is pretty quick... i suggest rushing his ass down and keep him locked down in the corner... Other than that... doing interrupted block strings and adding d+3, or anti airing with standing 2 would further improve your gameplay on punishing players on a whole other level...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Most questions that you want to ask should go in this thread. As the OP states, we don't need a new thread for every question, just ask it in here.

Also, all Liu Kang got in the new patch is that the parry now can correctly give a first hit bonus.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
anyone know if you can reg. parry then combo into b+312 in the mid screen? cuz i can do it in the corner....

Liu_Kang

Noob
@ liu_kang
There is a video critic thread...., and your doing pretty good against kano soo i see no flaw except the zoning you were trying to do...I mean its ok... to IAFB most characters... but since kanos projectile is pretty quick... i suggest rushing his ass down and keep him locked down in the corner... Other than that... doing interrupted block strings and adding d+3, or anti airing with standing 2 would further improve your gameplay on punishing players on a whole other level...
Thanks XBlades, i saw all of your videos and i respect you very much. You´r a great Liu player. :)

Zyns

Grodd for Injustice 3
Liu feels different now, even though he's like exactly the same
I DUN LIEK CHANGE!