What's new

Ask Liu Kang Thread

Solo

Shadow Priest
For Kung Lao, its pretty much a rushdown race. Get in his face more than he gets in your face, and then let your combos do the talking. After a knockdown, bait those wake-up Spins (which are stupid easy to punish nowadays), rinse and repeat. the problem starts when he's a bit away from u, because he can pepper you with Ground Hats and annoy you with Dive Kicks, but getting in with a quick EX Flying Kick would remedy that nicely. I personally don't find Kung Lao very difficult.

For Ermac, you just gotta stuff him. His wake up game is horrendous, because baiting those Force Lifts and/or teleports and blocking them just makes Ermac bend over and say COMBO ME. Mix it up with :r:fk for overheads, and the usual low poke combo, and he'll be flustered. Just don't be too offense-oriented, because if you do get hit, it's usually 40-45% of your health gone.
I really like to play it safe. I don't want to rush Kung Lao to much because of his spin. Sometimes his EX Teleport throws me off. I'll try to rush Kung Lao a bit more.

It's going to be awhile before I adapt to beating Ermac.(One, because I don't play him often.)

Thanks for the help people.

ok guys, I am playing LK as my second alt, and I don't have mutch xp with him. So my question is about Dragon Stance. Can someone explain me a bit or post link about Dragon stance. What is it used for and how do I use it ? Sry for my nooby question.

iWumbo

Noob
ok guys, I am playing LK as my second alt, and I don't have mutch xp with him. So my question is about Dragon Stance. Can someone explain me a bit or post link about Dragon stance. What is it used for and how do I use it ? Sry for my nooby question.
Dragon Stance is one of Liu Kang's less useful tools, although it can be used to some sort of advantage sometimes. What you do is :d:l:bp, which puts you into the Dragon Stance. Then for about a second and a half, Liu kang is able to do 4 new moves, each corresponding to the 4 buttons.
If you press :fp, Liu Kang does an upwards punch that launches, which can be followed by your juggle combo of choice (this is probably the most useful, especially in the corner.)
Pressing :bp is a terrible foward punch that pushes the opponent back a large distance. It's not strong, and it creates distance, which you don't want. NEVER use this one.
If you press :fk, Liu Kang does an overhead flip kick and lands on his back. It's crazy powerful (14%) and is good for mixups if you think the opponent is gonna block low. But ONLY USE IT IF YOU ARE 100% SURE IT WILL LAND, because if it's blocked or whiffed, Liu Kang just pulls down his pants and says ''COMBO ME PLZ''.
If you press :bk, Liu Kang does a rather ordinary sweep. It looks identical to his normal :l:bk, and does the same damage (7%), so I really don't see the benefit of it. I have heard some people say that it has more range than his normal sweep, but I'm not sure about that...unfortunately i'm unable to test things right now as I'm out of the country.

The thing about Dragon Stance is that it's extremely impractical to use in an actual match because of the fact that it takes so much time to get into the stance, then do the desired move. If you really have to use it, I would suggest to use it during a juggle sequence where it would be safe...otherwise, if your mindgames fail, you're gonna eat a full combo. Hope I helped.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
You can use Dragon stance on your opponents wake up game, Dragon Stance > forward dash for b+312 for a psych out, or f+3.

Solo

Shadow Priest
Add my two cents.

Pressing :bp is a terrible foward punch that pushes the opponent back a large distance. It's not strong, and it creates distance, which you don't want. NEVER use this one.
Sometimes it comes in handy. When an someone jumps in on you, Liu Kang kinda steps back a little then launches them.

If you press :fk, Liu Kang does an overhead flip kick and lands on his back. It's crazy powerful (14%) and is good for mixups if you think the opponent is gonna block low. But ONLY USE IT IF YOU ARE 100% SURE IT WILL LAND, because if it's blocked or whiffed, Liu Kang just pulls down his pants and says ''COMBO ME PLZ''.
Best time to use this move is in the corner. When your opponent is in the corner, they usually expect b3,1,2 or try to jump out. Either way be careful using this move.

If you press :bk, Liu Kang does a rather ordinary sweep. It looks identical to his normal :l:bk, and does the same damage (7%), so I really don't see the benefit of it. I have heard some people say that it has more range than his normal sweep, but I'm not sure about that...unfortunately i'm unable to test things right now as I'm out of the country.
It does have more range than his normal sweep. How you use that is up to you.

The thing about Dragon Stance is that it's extremely impractical to use in an actual match because of the fact that it takes so much time to get into the stance, then do the desired move. If you really have to use it, I would suggest to use it during a juggle sequence where it would be safe...otherwise, if your mindgames fail, you're gonna eat a full combo. Hope I helped.
Exactly, if you're not use to using Dragon Stance(DS) don't practice it in a match. Unless you're prepare to lose in order to learn.

Dragon Stance 3 seems really bad considering non-Dragon Stance f+3 exists. I guess the former does a bit more damage, but it's just so much less safe.

Hey, can anyone give me any tips on landing that NJ Punch in the corner after the back 3,1,2 string? Like are you canceling into the jump or what? Every time I attempt it I can't seem to jump fast enough to catch my opponent. I seem to jump higher then him and the punch never connects.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
Hey, can anyone give me any tips on landing that NJ Punch in the corner after the back 3,1,2 string? Like are you canceling into the jump or what? Every time I attempt it I can't seem to jump fast enough to catch my opponent. I seem to jump higher then him and the punch never connects.
I was playing around with that after seeing it on the Evo stream. There's no such thing as cancelling into jump afaik, you can just hold up while you're inputting the string and he'll jump as soon as he can.

The hard part is the timing on the punch. It's just very specific. If all else fails, hold up and mash like crazy -- it does actually work... sometimes.

I was playing around with that after seeing it on the Evo stream. There's no such thing as cancelling into jump afaik, you can just hold up while you're inputting the string and he'll jump as soon as he can.

The hard part is the timing on the punch. It's just very specific. If all else fails, hold up and mash like crazy -- it does actually work... sometimes.

Guess i'll just have to keep trying then. Yeah, the stream is what made me want to try it as well. I've been known about it but i since i haven't been able to to get or seen anyone using it lately I figured it had been patched or something. The combo I have for it is

back + 312, NJ punch, step back 3~xray, back+312,back+312,back+312 it should give you 49%

Edit: I figured it out, as soon as you jump just hit punch lol. I was waiting to long expecting to reach full height before knocking him back down with that NJ punch. Instead your hitting him on HIS way down which gives you enough time recover to continue the kombo. Very easy to do after you figure that out!

i found the NJP pretty easy after a couple of minutes in training mode. Just press up 1 or 2 immediately after the string lands. Nothing else to it

RamenO

It Stinks!
What's Lui Kang's best corner combo? Factoring execution and complexity. Aside from the obvious B3,1,4 x4.

The best I've been able to pull off is 41-42%.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
corner combo, b+312, NJP, Dragon stance 1, JF 3, AFB, b+312x3.... there is a combo thread.....>.>

RamenO

It Stinks!
Well, I realize there's a combo thread, but a good majority of them have the damage off since it's all fairly old. I was looking for a good answer on the current state of things.

Thanks, XBlade.

guys, I have problem connecting bicycle kick after F2 4 (combo is b312 dash b312 dash F2 4 Bicycle kick). If i do as soon as I input F2 4, bicycle kick won't come out? If I do it to late, target already hits the floor. Any advices ? What is timing for it ? thanks

guys, I have problem connecting bicycle kick after F2 4 (combo is b312 dash b312 dash F2 4 Bicycle kick). If i do as soon as I input F2 4, bicycle kick won't come out? If I do it to late, target already hits the floor. Any advices ? What is timing for it ? thanks
come on guys, help me out :) mcpeanuts Xblades I know u guys doing this easly, plx some tips

RamenO

It Stinks!
What's the best strategy vs. Kung Lao? Do you want to rush him down? Do you want to play a semi-zone game from full screen? At what distance do you want to keep yourself at?

Crashland beat me to the f24 question. Just input f24bbf4 as fast as you can and you'll get your bicycle kicks.
What's the best strategy vs. Kung Lao? Do you want to rush him down? Do you want to play a semi-zone game from full screen? At what distance do you want to keep yourself at?
You absolutely do not want to rush him down. When you're in there he can spin between your block strings and deal big damage. By contrast Liu Kang does not have anything to heavily punish Kung Lao's frame traps and low hat loops. You've got the advantage from long range because instant air fireball will win trades with his projectiles. Air fireballs will keep Kung Lao from using dive kick to get in, and it will sometimes catch his teleport out of the air. If the air fireball misses Kung Lao as he teleports, immediately neutral crouch and uppercut as he comes out. You need to mix up some low fireballs with your instant air fireballs, because Kung Lao can use his f3 roll to go under air fireballs.

thanks for the answer. But I have another question.
Basicly, I have hard time connecting my juggle after I win jump punch or jump kick. for example, we both do jump kick and I win. Now I would like to connect b312 right after jump kick. How do I do this ? Do I need to input dash fast (before I hit the ground) than b312 ? or just b312?

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Match up I hate the most now:

Sindel

God damn, am I clueless against her. Anyway to get past her zoning? And what strategy must I undertake here? Don't want to keep trading fireballs until someone drops their fireball by wiffing a punch/kick and pretty much lose.