What's new

Ask Liu Kang Thread

thanks for the answer. But I have another question.
Basicly, I have hard time connecting my juggle after I win jump punch or jump kick. for example, we both do jump kick and I win. Now I would like to connect b312 right after jump kick. How do I do this ? Do I need to input dash fast (before I hit the ground) than b312 ? or just b312?
You cannot combo after a jump kick. After an air to air jump punch I don't think you need to dash before b312, or if you do its a short dash. Not really sure how I actually do it because I just go off muscle memory -_-

You cannot combo after a jump kick. After an air to air jump punch I don't think you need to dash before b312, or if you do its a short dash. Not really sure how I actually do it because I just go off muscle memory -_-
awesome, thanks for replay man. I was your fan vs CD Jr at Summer Jam. You had that game man !!! It was soo hype ! Just wish u didn't blow that Xray and the end. Maybe would be better to blow Ex bicycle kick and use breker. And I hate Armored spcials vs Rain, it's so annoying. Doh man that was soo close.

btw: Who was your second opponent that you lost to ?

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
@jacopeX
With Sindel since she is a zone type character, and the only character with a diagonal fireball... you can EX flying kick her out of the air, or if your really close you can do Neutral 2 (anti-air), and follow up with f+1,2 into b+312 f+2,4 Bicycle kick if your in mid screen and you think she is going to jump you can dash forward, b+1 into low fireball. But far away i suggest EX flying kick. only combo she has that are deadly is the combo string after 2 hits, into a low... but once you get the hang of blocking, unleash fury against that bich... and i think her ex moves are unsafe... you can just jump over here, since she moves forward with the overhead ex move she has...

awesome, thanks for replay man. I was your fan vs CD Jr at Summer Jam. You had that game man !!! It was soo hype ! Just wish u didn't blow that Xray and the end. Maybe would be better to blow Ex bicycle kick and use breker. And I hate Armored spcials vs Rain, it's so annoying. Doh man that was soo close.

btw: Who was your second opponent that you lost to ?
I feel fine about that X-ray. If it hits him I win, if he blocks it I probably still win; CD jr told me before the match that he didn't know the Liu Kang matchup, so I bet he would have tried to punish a blocked X-ray with b21+2 which would have been beaten clean by my b312. The only thing he could have done that would have beaten it was teleport, and as it happened he teleported. Oh well.

Also lost to Chris G. Protip for anyone who has to play Chris G, don't use instant air fireballs. They don't do anything. You can kinda see the same thing if you watch his match against Eric Warda in top 8; any time Eric does an instant air fireball it doesn't accomplish anything.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Can a Liu mainer help me? I want to pick him up, but I don't know much about him aside from basic bnbs. So, how can I keep pressure on? Does he have blockstrings like Cage? Best usage for parry? And of course, how to play him in general? :)

Can a Liu mainer help me? I want to pick him up, but I don't know much about him aside from basic bnbs. So, how can I keep pressure on? Does he have blockstrings like Cage? Best usage for parry? And of course, how to play him in general? :)
Only strings you really need to know are b312 and f12. b312 is your best low combo starter and highest damaging launching string; I believe it's also the launching string with the fastest startup on the first hit (12b1 might be faster, need to look into it) so it's also what you should use for punishes. When b312 is blocked you can do another b312 right away and this can only be interrupted by a move 8 frames or faster. Depending on what your opponent is using to interrupt your blocked b312 strings, you can follow with cross over jump, d3, f12, or dragon stance; the most important thing is to make sure you keep them guessing so that they're scared to try and interrupt.

f12 is what you use to get in. It's two quick advancing jabs that move you roughly dash distance forward. It's safe on block and after it gets blocked you can go into b312 pressure. The reason to use it in your block strings is because if your opponent tries to jump backwards it will catch them out of the air and send them into a juggle state, getting you a full combo.

Because of b312 people are going to want to block low all the time, so use f3 as an overhead. You can't combo after this but it puts you at high frame advantage allowing you to keep the pressure on. Don't ever use f3 after another string is blocked, because if your opponent is trying to down poke their way out of your pressure it'll just stuff the f3. Try to use it off a jump or when you're at frame advantage.

213 is a string you can use as an overhead option (the last hit overheads), but it's kind of a gimmick and I don't recommend it.

Liu Kang's zoning game is really strong. You can alternate instant air fireballs with low fireballs to make it hard for your opponent to advance. Instant air fireball spam is also a good way to build meter.

Your kick specials are not that good. There's some situational uses for flying kick but when you're just starting out I would advise you to not use it ever. Bicycle kick is good to end combos but again not very useful. XBlades loves to enhance the bicycle kicks for the armor, I respectfully disagree with that strategy.

Parry is not as useful as it may first appear because you can get hit out of the startup frames on it. It's good for wake up, for anti air, and to bait out your opponent's advancing special moves (Nightwolf shoulders, Johnny Cage green/red kicks, etc), especially on wake up.

Also Liu Kang has the best X-ray in the whole game (imho) and as soon as you get three bars you should just start mashing it out with reckless abandon for the consequences. Try not to do it from too close though; even though it overheads, they can duck it if you're too close and it will just go over their heads.

I think that about covers it.

XBlades

Using liu kang to the full potential is somewhat hard. Getting to know the spacing for b+312, and f+1,2 and many other strings is really important. One tip is when you f+1,2 you can do d+3 and back dash into b+312 to hit their retaliating attack such as there d+1,,2,3,4, this is called counter poking there limbs. Now theres good anti-airs with liu kang, when they jump in, you can poke them out of the air by hitting them with standing 2 and into f+1,2 bnb..

Also another key matter would be the usage of EX fireballs on wake ups and in combos, on wake up it has invincibility more than the regular low fireball...soo it basically prolongs the usage of the invincibility wake up. When used in combos, it keeps the opponent in very long stagger state... so you can dash up f+3, or dash up b+312, personally i use 213 to keep them on block stun and then back dash there retaliating attacks with b+312. btw, if you do 213 and then 2 again since the block stun on the overhead is pretty long, you can catch him jumping or hitting another attacks. if in here you can do bnb. Btw EX bicycle is probably one of the best anti -airs its an easy 19% damage, gotta anticipate it though. improve those reading skills.

oh I did't know that you can use 2 as anti air and continue with F12 BnB ?! Actualy I am sure that I didn't see that in any of your video (and I saw them all). Do you have any video example ?

as far as Xray, I don't think it's so great? I ll rather try ex Bicycle kick + save for breaker. Mcpean I saw your video in the last tournament and I you missed like 50% of your Xrays. Why do you think that Xray is so good ? For example XBlades and ATL redd are nerver using it.

oh I did't know that you can use 2 as anti air and continue with F12 BnB ?! Actualy I am sure that I didn't see that in any of your video (and I saw them all). Do you have any video example ?

as far as Xray, I don't think it's so great? I ll rather try ex Bicycle kick + save for breaker. Mcpean I saw your video in the last tournament and I you missed like 50% of your Xrays. Why do you think that Xray is so good ? For example XBlades and ATL redd are nerver using it.
Several reasons. It goes nearly full screen, the arc on it is good for anti air, it overheads which is useful because people get used to low blocks against Liu Kang. You can use the armor on it to go through projectiles; because of the huge range of it you can punish zoning attempts from very far away. Most importantly is that it's safe on block with very low negative frames; after a blocked x-ray you can go into b312 and this can only be interrupted by fast normals like low pokes. A lot of people assume that since they blocked your x-ray you'll be vulnerable and they aren't really thinking about switching to low block to block the follow up attack.

I don't really care for EX bicycle kicks. Too slow on start up, the range is too short, and it's punished by full combos on block. They're okay sometimes as anti air but usually I'd rather save the meter for breaker or x-ray.

@ mcpeanuts
what is your standard bnb with Xray midscreen ?
I keep it pretty simple. X-ray, b312, b312, b312. That'll get you a solid 46%. Sometimes I'll do X-ray then bicycle kicks (for 38%) if that's enough to kill them or if they have breaker, because bicycle kicks are easier to connect.

hm do I need to dash after Xray? becouse I can't connect B312 after Xray?

also, I have rly hard time connecting b312 after air to air punch. Simply, my opponent is far away and I can't catch it. I will try to do fast F12 (as soon as I touch the ground) before b312

What's Liu kangs best tool to use against kabal dc block string pressure? What's his safest fastest poke you guys use? How do you respond or what goes through your mind when facing a kabal who keeps you under severe pressure?

I faced one last night who pretty much blew me away and didnt know what do to. D+4 kept getting stuffed, even. Basically I found myself panicking and just wanted to jump out.

Also, what sort of mindgames should I enforce on kabal's wake-up game? How do I keep myself safe from his sawblades and ex dashes without slowing down to block? I know there has to be another answer.:/ I really hope so anyways.

XBlades

Kabals wake up is bad since both moves such as ex run, and that that saw blade are really unsafe at close distances.... kabal doesnt have an answer to pressure, just low block on his wake up to be safe... dont try to anticipate ex dash or low blade cuz you might guess wrong and he will get away from you. As for the Mix ups, i either do d+3 or d+2 or d+1, since those are allot faster than d+4, there is a frame data guide that can help you out.... also if your playing online.... count your luck gone because the lag time will not be merciful...offline you should be able to get out of it.

sorry guys, I have go ask again about air to air punch that can lead into combo.
Just now, I was watching ATL Redd vs Pig, and I was rly impressed how this guy "reads" opponent jump in, and counter it with his jump punch into b312.
Is he doing very late Up+forward punch (I guess he is doing Up+forward punch on reaction ?) becouse his forward jump punches looks like NJP, and his opponent is not flying too far away so he can easly connect b312 after? Can somone explain this. thanks

here is video ATL Redd vs Pig
!

hm do I need to dash after Xray? becouse I can't connect B312 after Xray?

also, I have rly hard time connecting b312 after air to air punch. Simply, my opponent is far away and I can't catch it. I will try to do fast F12 (as soon as I touch the ground) before b312
You don't have to dash, and in fact if you do you can't connect the combo, so don't do that. You do have to walk forward slightly. Aside from that it's just timing.

guys, I saw that ATL Redd was punishing Mileena's EX tele cancled into sai with upercut? I guess that's the best and only way punish it?

guys, I saw that ATL Redd was punishing Mileena's EX tele cancled into sai with upercut? I guess that's the best and only way punish it?
Probably. The air sai is advantage on block if you do it as low to the ground as you possibly can, so the only way to punish EX teleport into air sai is to duck so you don't get hit by the sai. Once you're ducking I guess the best you can do is uppercut. Maybe you can d1 into a juggle combo, I'm not sure. I'd try it out in the lab but this game doesn't have a "lab" so much as it has a windowless closet with Babby's First Chemistry Set.

Also you told me that ATL Redd doesn't use x-rays... I watched those finals and he used x-ray twice!

well I saw it once, and guess what , It missed :)

damn, we must get ATL Redd here. As far as I know, he doesn't have acc on TYM :(

XBlades

seen his videos, he has good timing on punishing moves... so im guessing he grinds allot with offline heads.... since west coast is dying of mk players i dont have the liesure time to explore many punishing moves, and i mostly act on instinct or theory....other than that key note in mk is timing the release of block, when to release block on certain moves like kabals loop, or mileenas sai, ermacs kick punch combo, etc... each character has a move where you can punish any type of string, easiest one being is using uppercut interrupting combo strings on certain characters... other than that ATL red has a solid mind set of his gameplay, though he doesnt utilize feints as much or standing anti airs, like neutral 2 or 1 into f+1,2 this is very important becuase players will try to jump after a combo string or poke war... in doing so, you can dash where they jumped from and do a quick 2 or wait for them to get on the side and and d+1 or standing 2 for a regular anti-air and then bnb. and another thing, im surprised didnt expose pigs wake up game with Parry, or EX parry.... every wake up was at least a teleport kick.

and another thing, im surprised didnt expose pigs wake up game with Parry, or EX parry.... every wake up was at least a teleport kick.
Maybe he was worried about wake up roll. The roll can't be parried, even though the game counts it as a high hit.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
seen his videos, he has good timing on punishing moves... so im guessing he grinds allot with offline heads.... since west coast is dying of mk players i dont have the liesure time to explore many punishing moves, and i mostly act on instinct or theory....other than that key note in mk is timing the release of block, when to release block on certain moves like kabals loop, or mileenas sai, ermacs kick punch combo, etc... each character has a move where you can punish any type of string, easiest one being is using uppercut interrupting combo strings on certain characters... other than that ATL red has a solid mind set of his gameplay, though he doesnt utilize feints as much or standing anti airs, like neutral 2 or 1 into f+1,2 this is very important becuase players will try to jump after a combo string or poke war... in doing so, you can dash where they jumped from and do a quick 2 or wait for them to get on the side and and d+1 or standing 2 for a regular anti-air and then bnb. and another thing, im surprised didnt expose pigs wake up game with Parry, or EX parry.... every wake up was at least a teleport kick.
because in the semis i taught him to respect my wakeup due to me using cross up pressure without punishment to bait a parry to roll :) - Also ex tele the safer option, What you cannot do against red when in a corner is stay there. YOU HAVE TO GET OUT

check those semis out as well

I want to point out another thing red does that i didnt let him do this time is if I jump at him he dashes back to create space and he starts his b3 1 2 whilwe im in the air trying to jump at him.

I know try to bait those with jump ins cancelled into ex tele.

So basically I just have to keep bulldogging Kabal as much as possible to keep him from having the opportunity of doing his dc loop... I see, I see. Thanks for the info.

I'll start using d+3 and d+1 a bit more. I know the uppercut is fast but man, if I whiff that then I'd have to start all over again! But I guess if I land the uppercut it initiates the wakeup game in which I can turn the tides... Risky but rewarding. I like that theory. I'll try that out as well.

What on Sub Zero? f+12 and b+312 are very punishable by ice clone, which can seemingly come out at an instant at times. Should I land low fireballs more often to keep him out and afraid of doing the ice clones? What does Liu Kang pressure on a very strong Sub-Zero look like?

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Can anyone elaborate further on the whole f12 combo and the strategy behind it? I keep seeing people bring it up a lot and I want to make sure I know i and probably use it to apply to my game.