What's new

Ask Liu Kang Thread

use this thread to ask question/s about liu kang we donn't need to make differets thread to ask a question

first post will be updated with the questions and answeres so that you know if your question was already asked before and what was the answere for it.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
It's best to jump at an angle. jump backward diagonally so that you are already hitting the back input and then just quickly press forward 1 and it should come out.

that is UB, F1 a little practice on the timing and you should be golden.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
thx man, can do it now. just need to practice so i can do it low enough to hit a standing oponent

Blazze

Noob
what's his good and bad match\ups i have liu down but i really don't have a good gameplan in matches thats my big downfall the lack of playin people has that effect on me

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
one his bad mtchups imo would be subzero.... u have to rely on your fireball pressure if he keeps away and starts playin the bait/clone strategy.... note that subzero will always win on fireball war trades.... key to this mtchup is be patient and have the health lead... imo...

one his bad mtchups imo would be subzero.... u have to rely on your fireball pressure if he keeps away and starts playin the bait/clone strategy.... note that subzero will always win on fireball war trades.... key to this mtchup is be patient and have the health lead... imo...
Not nessciarliy. Against zoning subzero, ex flying kick destroys projectile blast and puts you in his face which is whre u wanna be. If he's hiding be hind ice clone the same rules apply. It eats the clone and the ice ball. But patience is a big part of this match up.

guys I am trying to play with Liu Kang, and my question is: how often and when to use parry? Is it good to as wake up option ? thanks

iWumbo

Noob
guys I am trying to play with Liu Kang, and my question is: how often and when to use parry? Is it good to as wake up option ? thanks
Use it when you know that your opponent is mindlessly spamming block strings on you, or if you predict a jump-in attack. It's alright as a wake-up option, but don't always use it to wake-up, due to the fact that it won't counter low hits. Also, if you do the parry like 2-3 frames before the attack hits you, sometimes the parry doesn't register, and the attack still lands. Just watch out for that.

The problem with parry is that you can be hit out of the startup frames. Seems kind of weird that a move that only works when you're hit can be stopped by getting hit, but there you go. This limits where you can use it; if you use parry and they throw out an attack at the same time, they win. The only time I really use it is as a wake up move, since the invincibility on wake up negates the issue of being hit out of the startup frames. Even then I would only use it if I noticed my opponent is always trying to pressure me on wakeup using a string that hits high or with a cross over jump.

It's theoretically good anti air but I haven't been using it that way much. I probably should, but it's tough. Because of the aforementioned startup problem, you can't do it on reaction, you have to read a jump and then use it.

Marvaz

come at me
I had a question guys. Who is the best psn online liu kang right now?? I would love to mirror match him/her..... liu kang is one of my mains as well.

A specific liu kang quesiton- why is it that after f12 i cant block right away?? or am i just imagining shit

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
What's the deal with instant air fireballs? How are they better than regular fireballs? If you had perfect execution, would you ideally just do air fireballs all the time instead of normal ones? If you can't do it fast enough that it hits an opponent on the ground, are they basically pointless?

XBlades

@jounin
You can do resets i guess on ground game.... its kinda wierd... because when you do strings into low fireball you and the opponent are at equal... so if anything i would try to use the DSDC (Dragon Stance Dash Cancel) into various mix ups like f,3 or b+321 or b+2,B+3 or throw.... what you wanna do is get the juggle off, and throw them into the corner... thats my opinion...

XBlades

@solo
Ermac vs Liu is kinda hard bcuz he has a dominate zone game. Best thing to do would be to block dash cancel close to him and give him the rush down. Only thing u gotta watch out for is his gravity lift. Otherwise u can bait it on his wake up game. And keep mixing it up f,3 and b+312 throw him into the corner and demolish him wit ur speed ... And try not to jump some will try to hit you with the jump kick teleport into lift... Hope it helps...
Kung Lao vs Liu is even I think. Most Laos will try to spin on wake up you can use this to ur advantage and use parry or ex parry... Or u can use DS into launcher twice for big damage on the punish... As for hats from far away u can use regular fly kick. Dive kick can be block or parried and lead to big damaging combos. Other than going through certain block strings... Such as the kick to punch to hat if spaced right you can block the first kick and uppercut the high hit since it willwhiff... Hope this helps some of you players

What's the deal with instant air fireballs? How are they better than regular fireballs? If you had perfect execution, would you ideally just do air fireballs all the time instead of normal ones? If you can't do it fast enough that it hits an opponent on the ground, are they basically pointless?
They recover faster than normal fireballs. This lets you perform several of them in a row rapid fire. There's probably reasons to use a grounded high fireball but I can't think of one. Normally I would do 2-4 instant air fireballs and then throw in a low fireball just to make sure my opponent is paying attention; I don't use the grounded high fireball much. It's okay if not all of them are low enough to the ground to hit a standing opponent. The main point is just to build meter and control space anyways, you don't need to actually hit someone to do that.

@jounin
You can do resets i guess on ground game.... its kinda wierd... because when you do strings into low fireball you and the opponent are at equal... so if anything i would try to use the DSDC (Dragon Stance Dash Cancel) into various mix ups like f,3 or b+321 or b+2,B+3 or throw.... what you wanna do is get the juggle off, and throw them into the corner... thats my opinion...
Thanx man...that makes sense...it still saddens me that there isnt actually any combo resets while the opponent is caught in one of my mid air juggles...BAH -_-**

@solo
as far as ermac is concerned try to bait him into doin his tele lift while u do ur cross overs...its pretty risky but if you manage to dash towards him pretty quick when he is downed and do crossover u can manage to land a full combo of ur choice as he tries to telel lift u on his wakeup, but u gotta be really fast though. Also u can try to bait him into goin for a teleport as u spam some iAFs as well.

Solo

Shadow Priest
@solo
Ermac vs Liu is kinda hard bcuz he has a dominate zone game. Best thing to do would be to block dash cancel close to him and give him the rush down. Only thing u gotta watch out for is his gravity lift. Otherwise u can bait it on his wake up game. And keep mixing it up f,3 and b+312 throw him into the corner and demolish him wit ur speed ... And try not to jump some will try to hit you with the jump kick teleport into lift... Hope it helps...
Kung Lao vs Liu is even I think. Most Laos will try to spin on wake up you can use this to ur advantage and use parry or ex parry... Or u can use DS into launcher twice for big damage on the punish... As for hats from far away u can use regular fly kick. Dive kick can be block or parried and lead to big damaging combos. Other than going through certain block strings... Such as the kick to punch to hat if spaced right you can block the first kick and uppercut the high hit since it willwhiff... Hope this helps some of you players
Thanks. I have a problem getting in on Ermac. Even though Dragon kick has armor, I don't like to waste meter. Kung Lao ..I just don't know. That Punch Kick or Kick Punch Hat gets me all the time.

@solo
as far as ermac is concerned try to bait him into doin his tele lift while u do ur cross overs...its pretty risky but if you manage to dash towards him pretty quick when he is downed and do crossover u can manage to land a full combo of ur choice as he tries to telel lift u on his wakeup, but u gotta be really fast though. Also u can try to bait him into goin for a teleport as u spam some iAFs as well.
So the trick to beating Ermac is to predict his moves?

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
Is there a simple, practical way to practice combos starting with EX parry?

Edit: ok, it's got the same properties as dragon stance 1, right, so I guess I answered my own question...

Solo

Shadow Priest

Edit: ok, it's got the same properties as dragon stance 1, right, so I guess I answered my own question...
You can also put the wake-up attack option on. Knock the AI down and time it with EX Parry. I like to use Scorpion, because sometimes he'll do his teleport.

iWumbo

Noob
For Kung Lao, its pretty much a rushdown race. Get in his face more than he gets in your face, and then let your combos do the talking. After a knockdown, bait those wake-up Spins (which are stupid easy to punish nowadays), rinse and repeat. the problem starts when he's a bit away from u, because he can pepper you with Ground Hats and annoy you with Dive Kicks, but getting in with a quick EX Flying Kick would remedy that nicely. I personally don't find Kung Lao very difficult.

For Ermac, you just gotta stuff him. His wake up game is horrendous, because baiting those Force Lifts and/or teleports and blocking them just makes Ermac bend over and say COMBO ME. Mix it up with :r:fk for overheads, and the usual low poke combo, and he'll be flustered. Just don't be too offense-oriented, because if you do get hit, it's usually 40-45% of your health gone.

So the trick to beating Ermac is to predict his moves?
Pretty much m afraid. N always try to maintain the fight at a mid to short range one n youll be fine, so that you can bait his tele push or tele lift. Given the kind of really good tools that ermac has, im sure people will pretty soon run out of patience and make a mistake rather than wait it out in a "test your patience" kind of match.

It doesn't quite have the same properties of dragon stance 1. EX parry knocks the opponent up slightly higher than dragon stance 1. It's not a huge difference, but if you want to practice EX parry you should use EX parry, in my opinion.

What I normally do is set the dummy to player, have both characters stand right next to each other, then EX parry, pause the game, then unpause and at the same time push :fp on the second controller. Solo's idea is probably a lot simpler, though.