What's new

Question - Ferra/Torr Ask Ferra Thread – Information & Q/As

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I got blown up this weekend playing this MU and felt like I couldn't push buttons or even armor a couple of times after it. I was practicing a few things with him seeing what I did wrong and saw his cancels were frame trapping very heavily after a couple of strings. But since I don't know the character too well I didn't know which was what lol.

Looking at this on paper he seems like he's really good, but I always hear/read how bad he is. What the hell? Something is up lol.
Very little representation, I think. Bio is the only one truly going places with him and Doombawkz is one of the few finding truly relevant tech. I personally feel F/T is A tier but I'm not really qualified to speak on it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I got blown up this weekend playing this MU and felt like I couldn't push buttons or even armor a couple of times after it. I was practicing a few things with him seeing what I did wrong and saw his cancels were frame trapping very heavily after a couple of strings. But since I don't know the character too well I didn't know which was what lol.

Looking at this on paper he seems like he's really good, but I always hear/read how bad he is. What the hell? Something is up lol.
The Doombawkz prophecy, you know how this goes by now.
And yeah, he has nice cancel strings handy such as f.2xxPnG run cancel b.12 b.12xxOH ferra toss since most people don't suspect you'll hit them with that neutral string and will keep holding their button. Also leaves you plus.

Also leaves them with a nasty 50/50 choice. Either they let go to try and match you, and risk getting hit into a big stagger (which is more than enough time for Torr to f.2 you in a frame trap before you get to press a button) and you'll be eating about 33% meterless and get thrown back into cornertown USA... Or the sit there and take it, and you can basically just keep battering them on block with b.12 into either b.121 or b.12 OH throw again

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The Doombawkz prophecy, you know how this goes by now.
And yeah, he has nice cancel strings handy such as f.2xxPnG run cancel b.12 b.12xxOH ferra toss since most people don't suspect you'll hit them with that neutral string and will keep holding their button. Also leaves you plus.

Also leaves them with a nasty 50/50 choice. Either they let go to try and match you, and risk getting hit into a big stagger (which is more than enough time for Torr to f.2 you in a frame trap before you get to press a button) and you'll be eating about 33% meterless and get thrown back into cornertown USA... Or the sit there and take it, and you can basically just keep battering them on block with b.12 into either b.121 or b.12 OH throw again
This sounds like a variant of what was happening to me. I'm like "yo is my fightstick faulty? Why aren't my buttons working?" Lol. I had fought a pretty good Lackey about a month ago but it didn't seem like this. This felt fearsome.

Dunno man, I dunno, this Ferra/Torr seems a lot better than what is being given credit for. Thing is, I wasn't even being hit with big heavy damage combos. It was just a lot of pressure, frame traps, and 50/50's and then next thing I know I was in the corner. I officially respect this character being called underrated lol.

I dunno if I would call him underrated, but played right he can be pretty dangerous. Safety is really the key. If you look at his move list a lot of his stuff is safe. Just gotta find your openings and start their pressure game up.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This sounds like a variant of what was happening to me. I'm like "yo is my fightstick faulty? Why aren't my buttons working?" Lol. I had fought a pretty good Lackey about a month ago but it didn't seem like this. This felt fearsome.

Dunno man, I dunno, this Ferra/Torr seems a lot better than what is being given credit for. Thing is, I wasn't even being hit with big heavy damage combos. It was just a lot of pressure, frame traps, and 50/50's and then next thing I know I was in the corner. I officially respect this character being called underrated lol.
Nah man, until the buffs stop a'comin, I'm gonna say he is low tier and loses to everyone.

Nah man, until the buffs stop a'comin, I'm gonna say he is low tier and loses to everyone.
What buffs? lol Honestly when that big patch came out I thought F/T was going to have pages and pages of patch notes, a'la Jacqui or Takeda. Turns out we didn't get much. You think there's anything else in store for him in a future patch?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
What buffs? lol Honestly when that big patch came out I thought F/T was going to have pages and pages of patch notes, a'la Jacqui or Takeda. Turns out we didn't get much. You think there's anything else in store for him in a future patch?
I can only believe. My legacy of maining community low-tiers that get overbuffed depends on it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I see that you too were a Bane player ;)
I wasn't a Bane player, no.
I was the Bane technician, ardent defender and mad dog on a short leash.
The hype machine in the beginning where we had nothing.
The motivation when we fought Black Adam and Superman.
The maverick when the community put us down, I would raise us up.
People doubted me, doubted my community, but now...
They can deny us no longer.

My only question that I haven't seen in previous pages. In the game's current build. Taking everything into consideration. Is this character in any of the 3 above variations viable at high level play? Bio Hazard has shown with great work and effort he is capable. But is he the one person to get near that highest level. Or, can FT truly stand against the Tanya/Shinnok/Lao/Quan's at the highest of Tiers?

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem

Was it tha_cool_kid?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
My only question that I haven't seen in previous pages. In the game's current build. Taking everything into consideration. Is this character in any of the 3 above variations viable at high level play? Bio Hazard has shown with great work and effort he is capable. But is he the one person to get near that highest level. Or, can FT truly stand against the Tanya/Shinnok/Lao/Quan's at the highest of Tiers?
At the current moment, Biohazard is our only representative. He also fights characters whom F/T have struggles with (D'Vorah being a big one). I believe with a minor change to solidify the variations and promote their strengths, F/T can easily become viable. I'd say maybe 2 moves need changes, Tuck n charge and Lackey Roll. If you make those moves as good as they made say... Pain and Gain, then yeah I can believe this character can compete up there with the best of them.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
At the current moment, Biohazard is our only representative. He also fights characters whom F/T have struggles with (D'Vorah being a big one). I believe with a minor change to solidify the variations and promote their strengths, F/T can easily become viable. I'd say maybe 2 moves need changes, Tuck n charge and Lackey Roll. If you make those moves as good as they made say... Pain and Gain, then yeah I can believe this character can compete up there with the best of them.
If they gave tuck n charge more than 0.5 frames of armor and possibly made it launch, ferra/torr would probably beat Johnny as my #1 char. Possibly speed up d1 in ruthless and vicious to 8f? That's really the only buffs I think they should get at this point for ruthless and vicious. What do you think?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If they gave tuck n charge more than 0.5 frames of armor and possibly made it launch, ferra/torr would probably beat Johnny as my #1 char. Possibly speed up d1 in ruthless and vicious to 8f? That's really the only buffs I think they should get at this point for ruthless and vicious. What do you think?
All it needs is to be safe on block. If we have that, then it solves every problem those two variations have.

d.1 is +20 in those variations, making them 8 frames is bad.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Are people still saying that about Ruthless? I know the old Ruthless was bad but after the 8/31 patch, he's solid.

Also, just wanted to share that there is a gap in b121 xx db2 just before the toss. 6 frame specials can armor through it e.g. Reptile's ex Slide. I'm sure some of you guys know that, but I didn't.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Are people still saying that about Ruthless? I know the old Ruthless was bad but after the 8/31 patch, he's solid.

Also, just wanted to share that there is a gap in b121 xx db2 just before the toss. 6 frame specials can armor through it e.g. Reptile's ex Slide. I'm sure some of you guys know that, but I didn't.
Yeah, we have to cancel it at b.12 instead of b.121, but thats good for us because b.12 is neutral on block or something.

What does F/T's neutral game look like in lackey and ruthless? I have very little knowledge of what I'm actually supposed to be doing midscreen other than NJP and Ferra toss in ruthless and D1 in lackey.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
What does F/T's neutral game look like in lackey and ruthless? I have very little knowledge of what I'm actually supposed to be doing midscreen other than NJP and Ferra toss in ruthless and D1 in lackey.
I can't speak for Lackey, but yea that's about it with Ruthless. My usual gameplan (a few specific characters withstanding) is usually to end the combo in a full screen push. From there you have to using Ferra to restrict their movements as they try to get back in.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Overhead toss is plus 6 off B12, F3 and most other situations.

However F2xxclose overhead toss is roughly plus 11 or 12 because you can get B1 to jail afterwards which is 10 to start up

I can't speak for Lackey, but yea that's about it with Ruthless. My usual gameplan (a few specific characters withstanding) is usually to end the combo in a full screen push. From there you have to using Ferra to restrict their movements as they try to get back in.
So the goal is to harass them at a distance with Ferra and force them to approach you and when they're close that's when you start PnG pressure until they end up in the corner or back full screen basically?

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
So the goal is to harass them at a distance with Ferra and force them to approach you and when they're close that's when you start PnG pressure until they end up in the corner or back full screen basically?
Yup that's the jist of it. Obviously there are some characters where this is not what you want to be doing(zoners) and you want to be staying up in there face. in Ruthless you can use either 2,f4//2,b4//f3,2(when they are lowish to the ground)\\and b1212 to do this. In Vicious end with the command grab, or any of the previous. These will keep them well inside a range where you and Ferra both are a threat.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
However F2xxclose overhead toss is roughly plus 11 or 12 because you can get B1 to jail afterwards which is 10 to start up
What's the mechanics behind that?

Only thing I can think of is that if f2 is blocked, then opponent will be in croucing blockstun, so OH Ferra will connect later. Sounds about right?