What's new

Question - Ferra/Torr Ask Ferra Thread – Information & Q/As

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
can you help me out with lackey. i play ruthless cause well 16% projectile but i hear lackey is godlike. not sure why but i really want to learn it
Didusaychocolate's in depth guide to lackey is what got me started. Its at the top of this thread under lackey.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Is there a guide or discussion for Vicious or Ruthless about the properties of Tor normals with Ferra on board vs without Ferra riding? I'm new to the character and find it very interesting to plan situations to launch Ferra, then use my different tool set when she isn't on board. I see the d1 looks like the Lackey d1, is it the same frame data? If so, it seems like an advantage to poke with 4, 2+4, which is plus 2, to launch Ferra, then poke them with the great range 5 frame d1. Are there strats based on this? Does Tor get the Lackey normals when Ferra isn't on board?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Is there a guide or discussion for Vicious or Ruthless about the properties of Tor normals with Ferra on board vs without Ferra riding? I'm new to the character and find it very interesting to plan situations to launch Ferra, then use my different tool set when she isn't on board. I see the d1 looks like the Lackey d1, is it the same frame data? If so, it seems like an advantage to poke with 4, 2+4, which is plus 2, to launch Ferra, then poke them with the great range 5 frame d1. Are there strats based on this? Does Tor get the Lackey normals when Ferra isn't on board?
Lackey is Ferra-less Torr without access to any normals that involve Ferra outside of d.1 which he retains.

So for the most part the 6 frame d.1 is the only difference in data to what you have on tap.

Johnny2d

Lackey is Ferra-less Torr without access to any normals that involve Ferra outside of d.1 which he retains.

So for the most part the 6 frame d.1 is the only difference in data to what you have on tap.
And the sweep tho! The sweep without Ferra on board seems godlike, much faster startup, not as much range, but the faster startup allows you to use it in spots you otherwise couldn't. I found a setup where I start with b23,2+4, run xx, 11, sweep, since Ferra isn't on Tor, you get the Lackey sweep which comes out fast enough to end the combo, and gives you perfect spacing to use njp to blow up their wakeup attempt, or do a ground mixup with overhead or low, or armor, or block. You can use 11 in that combo then sweep, or 1 then sweep, which sweeps them much higher in the air, granting more advantage on the hard knockdown.

I have a video of it on my phone, it's uploading, I'll share it when it's done processing.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
And the sweep tho! The sweep without Ferra on board seems godlike, much faster startup, not as much range, but the faster startup allows you to use it in spots you otherwise couldn't. I found a setup where I start with b23,2+4, run xx, 11, sweep, since Ferra isn't on Tor, you get the Lackey sweep which comes out fast enough to end the combo, and gives you perfect spacing to use njp to blow up their wakeup attempt, or do a ground mixup with overhead or low, or armor, or block. You can use 11 in that combo then sweep, or 1 then sweep, which sweeps them much higher in the air, granting more advantage on the hard knockdown.

I have a video of it on my phone, it's uploading, I'll share it when it's done processing.
I dont think you can "combo" into it, but yeah more or less its actually mostly the same data on the sweep. I think you give up the reach for some minimal start up advantage.

Johnny2d

I dont think you can "combo" into it, but yeah more or less its actually mostly the same data on the sweep. I think you give up the reach for some minimal start up advantage.
Yeah you can combo into it, thats exactly what I was saying.

This isn't optimized at all, but could be interesting.

Last edited:
Any advice against d'vorah and ermac? I seem to struggle when facing these two
Someone more experienced in fighting against these characters, please answer his question.

How do i keep somebody off me in vicious.
A general response:

If they like to jump to get to you, use Ferra Tosses more frequently: it covers more air space than Boss Toss.
If they like to run to you and maybe mix it up with a jump when close, you could use Tuck 'n' Charge. Enhance it if you need the armor to absorb a hit. This also works if they wanna stay in your face. Another method to push out someone currently in your personal space is to find an opening in their up-close game and poke (D1 or D3) into an F2xxTuck 'n' Charge for a reverse-Earth Shaker mixup, or simply cancel your poke into a Tuck 'n' Charge if you feel like it.

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
so anyone want to let me in on why do 2 of the Kaber toss in a combo I see a bunch of lackys use it and I play lacky I just don't understand why do 2 of them when it seems to drop damage down ?

so anyone want to let me in on why do 2 of the Kaber toss in a combo I see a bunch of lackys use it and I play lacky I just don't understand why do 2 of them when it seems to drop damage down ?
A reason to do two F2s in a combo is to keep the opponent's back to the corner instead of tossing them out of it. If there is no apparent reason for the Lackey players you watch/fight to be doing double F2s, then... perhaps they find it funny to toss their opponents like ragdolls.

Torr make you airplane!

shad0ki11er 27

A reason to do two F2s in a combo is to keep the opponent's back to the corner instead of tossing them out of it. If there is no apparent reason for the Lackey players you watch/fight to be doing double F2s, then... perhaps they find it funny to toss their opponents like ragdolls.

Torr make you airplane!
maybe i don't know i seen a F/T player do 2 tosses midscreen in a combo and i really didn't understand the reason for it

MK Led

Umbasa
maybe i don't know i seen a F/T player do 2 tosses midscreen in a combo and i really didn't understand the reason for it
Well they may just be trying to squeeze every last % of damage out of a one meter combo, haha. There is a 41% midscreen combo as Lackey that has two f2s and requires a very quick run cancel before the second one, which nets you a whopping 1% more than just not doing that. But yeah other than that: both things that Alien Sub said. :rolleyes:

shad0ki11er 27

Well they may just be trying to squeeze every last % of damage out of a one meter combo, haha. There is a 41% midscreen combo as Lackey that has two f2s and requires a very quick run cancel before the second one, which nets you a whopping 1% more than just not doing that. But yeah other than that: both things that Alien Sub said. :rolleyes:
okay thanks for the info that was my biggest question about F/T so thanks for the help

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
what is the best f/t variation?
IMO it's Vicious. Lackey has no range(outside of his huge ape arms but the other variations have these too), but some good tech to deal with zoning, but i use Ferra heavily in a mix up game. Since every other character has some kind of range/zoning option, you'll struggle if you get zoned out. Ruthless and vicious are almost the same. If you're confident and good then getting a p'n'g out is easy and doable, but getting and maintaining more than one stack is tough. You're better using that time and energy pressuring with b121, and using boss toss as an ender to make up for the lost damage buff.

Boss Toss is great at catching people jumping on wake up, like too good, and catching slide wake ups like sub. Little Kutter also leaves them at the perfect range for a b232+4 if they don;t tech roll.

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I gotta ask... Why does everyone think this character isn't very good?

When taking them into the lab, I found them to be obnoxiously safe on 90% of their moves/specials, as well as good range on normals. (NJP goes without saying.) It seemed like I had trouble using armor if Ferra isn't on his back, unless I did X-Ray, which was different. But it just looks like this character's offense is pretty damn strong. Is there something else I'm missing that makes people say FT is low tier?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I gotta ask... Why does everyone think this character isn't very good?

When taking them into the lab, I found them to be obnoxiously safe on 90% of their moves/specials, as well as good range on normals. (NJP goes without saying.) It seemed like I had trouble using armor if Ferra isn't on his back, unless I did X-Ray, which was different. But it just looks like this character's offense is pretty damn strong. Is there something else I'm missing that makes people say FT is low tier?
People that know the match up can abuse their weaknesses. If they know how Ferra works it is a problem. Whenever Ferra is off our back we have no grab, no overhead, no armor so no real mix up opportunities to worry about. It also gives them a free jump in since our d2 is 20 frames so free jail mix ups for them. The only time we get armor without Ferra is on wake up, but that means we cant delay wake up or tech roll and still have armor so the wake up game can be predictable and like when we are standing they can just crossover jump to avoid everything and jail us into more mix ups. Anyone that can keep us standing at the end of their combos too also destroys us since there is no way to armor then either. Even when we do armor its not a combo and if we try to use the grab as our reversal theres a good chance whatever random button they are mashing is grab immune too. Also Shinnok and Kung Lao are practically designed to beat us in every way which at this point single handedly makes them unviable in tournaments

People that know the match up can abuse their weaknesses. If they know how Ferra works it is a problem. Whenever Ferra is off our back we have no grab, no overhead, no armor so no real mix up opportunities to worry about. It also gives them a free jump in since our d2 is 20 frames so free jail mix ups for them. The only time we get armor without Ferra is on wake up, but that means we cant delay wake up or tech roll and still have armor so the wake up game can be predictable and like when we are standing they can just crossover jump to avoid everything and jail us into more mix ups. Anyone that can keep us standing at the end of their combos too also destroys us since there is no way to armor then either. Even when we do armor its not a combo and if we try to use the grab as our reversal theres a good chance whatever random button they are mashing is grab immune too. Also Shinnok and Kung Lao are practically designed to beat us in every way which at this point single handedly makes them unviable in tournaments
Doesn't Ferra recover while you're blocking during a jailing string? Like in KL's case, wouldn't his 11212 stuff give you enough time for Ferra to hop back on? Also how good is their backdash?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Doesn't Ferra recover while you're blocking during a jailing string? Like in KL's case, wouldn't his 11212 stuff give you enough time for Ferra to hop back on? Also how good is their backdash?
Backdash is terrible distance wise and recpvery wise and in combination with their hurtbox its practically useless. And Ferra getting back on Torrs back isnt all that consistant, sometimes she runs past Torr and runs back and forth for reasons we still dont know, and if she is doing that during the one opening we can reversal out with armor then we just miss that opportunity and they get to loop their pressure again