What's new

Guide Ares combo thread

Ares is best played from sweep distance. Condition them to block with ji2 or dash up d1. then you're free to come in with strings or teleport.
I can agree with this unless the other character is better at the sweep range than you (aka Green Lantern for example). My buddy plays him and I found best to just stay as far away as possible because there's nothing we can do against his grab except for b13.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I can agree with this unless the other character is better at the sweep range than you (aka Green Lantern for example). My buddy plays him and I found best to just stay as far away as possible because there's nothing we can do against his grab except for b13.
That's correct. GL will mess you up if you try to jump and his low combo starter has crazy range. You can outzone him though.

If you block a lift and you're far away, try b1~d4 as a combo starter. That should scare him to not use lift as much, in which case you might be able to go for the j2 or dash up d1.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You guys have probably already realized this, but you can do trait dash cancel combos with Ares. You cancel a combo or normal with trait, then dash cancel. It's fairly simple, and I've done some combos with it. However, I haven't found a practical use for it yet.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
You guys have probably already realized this, but you can do trait dash cancel combos with Ares. You cancel a combo or normal with trait, then dash cancel. It's fairly simple, and I've done some combos with it. However, I haven't found a practical use for it yet.
You can use it to dash back and make strings safe.

Can you update the OP? :)

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Make a post with all the info and I will.
These should be added to OP for sure:

Corner meterless traitless:
3d2, f23, f23, 112 df1

Corner meterless w/sword:
3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, b3, b13

Midscreen meterless w/sword:
112 d4, ji2, b23,112 df1

themule

Noob
I just came to this topic for the first time and its surprising how identical my combos are to some of yours, but I'll add mine anyway for the small variations and added extras.

A lot of these had you pushing them into the corner at the end. Are these hybrid corner combos, did you need the wall there? Or do these work completely midscreen?

iDeeejay

Low MeterBurn Lightning
I just came to this topic for the first time and its surprising how identical my combos are to some of yours, but I'll add mine anyway for the small variations and added extras.

Could you write these combos with notations? Or could anyone do it please? My computer is very slow -__-

themule

Noob
Could you write these combos with notations? Or could anyone do it please? My computer is very slow -__-

33~mb GS, f3, f23~d4, de – 38%
33~mb GS, f3, f23~d4, de – 39%
ji2, 3d2~mb GS, b3, ji2, f23~d4, de – 48%

ji2, 3d2~mb GS, b3, ji3, f23~d4, ji3,b13 – 54%
ji2, 3d2~df3, 112~d4, df3,123 – 39%
ji2, 3d2~df3, 112~d4, mb GS, 3d2 – 44%
ji2, 3d2~df3, 112~d4, mb GS, f23, de – 46%

corner
ji2, 3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, f3, 112 – 57%
ji2, 3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, f23~super – 65%

A lot of these had you pushing them into the corner at the end. Are these hybrid corner combos, did you need the wall there? Or do these work completely midscreen?
Yes the combos starting mid screen then ending in the corner did require the corner to finish it. Ares has amazing wall carry combos.
ji2, 3d2~df3, 112~d4, mb GS, 3d2 – 44%
ji2, 3d2~df3, 112~d4, mb GS, f23, de – 46%
ji2, 3d2~mb GS, b3, ji3, f23~d4, ji3,b13 – 54%
Only these ^ required the corner to finish.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I've been really busy lately. And finals are next week. I'll update this thread, along with others, and clean up this entire Ares forum once I get the chance. I've found some neat stuff that I would like to share with you guys as well.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I've been really busy lately. And finals are next week. I'll update this thread, along with others, and clean up this entire Ares forum once I get the chance. I've found some neat stuff that I would like to share with you guys as well.
Sounds Good!

themule

Noob
Sage Leviathan

123, b13 - 19%
123, b1~d4, fireball - 21%

You might be able to get more after the b1~d4, like a ji1 or teleport into a string. I didn't try anything other than fireball. I'll explore some more later.

These should be added to OP for sure:

Corner meterless traitless:
3d2, f23, f23, 112 df1

Corner meterless w/sword:
3d2, f23, f23, 112~d4, b3, b13

Midscreen meterless w/sword:
112 d4, ji2, b23,112 df1

I'm working on a list, I'll hopefully have it out tonight or tomorrow. There's a ton of different combos to know with Ares, I want to have lists of meterless, with meter, and w/ and w/out each trait for every starter. Plus you've got all of that again for corner combos, plus in the corner I think it's worth figuring out combos that don't use b3 in case you're trying to avoid a stage transition.

Then there's all the mosp reset set ups that aren't particularly well fleshed and documented on here, and there's stuff like unclashable damage to explore(I don't even know what/if Ares has anything unclashable other than b3) and all kinds of set ups using teleport and invisibility and trait cancels.
Man, so much shit to explore. I can't wait to have finals over with so I can really dive in

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Can you explain that at all ? I guess I don't get how the trait dash cancel works ? Do you throw the trait then dash ? BTW Juggs saw you on Arturos stream the other day. Sick stuff !

You cancel a normal or combo into the trait, then dash cancel it. This allows you to dash much quicker than you're supposed to. And thanks, I still have a lot of work to do with Ares, but it was nice to be able to play with actual pressure while 1,600+ people were watching.

If you guys want to practice trait cancel combos, try this out. (trait dash cancel = TDC)

d2 ~ b4 ~ TDC, d1 ~ d4 Then finish the combo however you'd like. This combo is just to practice the TDC, it may become really essential down the line for Ares.

Also, Updated the OP. But I still need to tidy it up plus clean out this forum. But I got a little bit done at least.

Going to compile all Ares's combos in this thread. If you have any combo, post it up!

juggers... hey man. the reset ONLY works against people who know what there doing if you land the b23 as a juggle. if you do a grounded b23 it doesn't work. by landing it as a juggle you increase the frame adv and can effectively narrow the reversal window to 0-1 frame. if you do it grounded the reversal frame window is much larger.