What's new

A.B.I.torial 13: Mortal Kombat X's Animation SUCKS

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
There are a lot of strings/animations in MKX that look so unnatural and shit that you have to go into training mode just to learn how to block something stupid...

Wigy

There it is...
A few points he made about animation for attacks, if they had their arms bent the move wouldnt really have as much range like ferr torrs f2. Its more down to physical logistics.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
It is noticeable, but it def doesn't bother me, I think despite what he's saying the animations largely look great. I would love to see them revamp it to a more natural style like he pointed out in the video, that would be a great touch, as I guess its the weakest thing about their games visually.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
A few points he made about animation for attacks, if they had their arms bent the move wouldnt really have as much range like ferr torrs f2. Its more down to physical logistics.
Not necessarily, it can still have range but have a bit more stretch/pull (I think the terms in animation are something like that). Instead of him just putting his arms down outstretched then pulling them up and over with still outstretched arms, the animation could show him putting in a bit more effort. Following his arms down to his hands, grabbing the opponent by the feet then the body coming up first and almost leaning back as he lifts, showing him using that upward momentum to help him lift the opponent off the ground and over him. Using his entire body rather than just the arms, just seems a bit lazy otherwise.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Ehh, I think he's making some fair points but he's going way to far with it. The games animation does not suck, and I think he expects too much realism. Also agree with others who said there's a certain amount that's just MK's style, like idle animations where they can't stop moving, that's classic MK to me.

haketh

Noob
This would have been a much better video without the personal bias.

Yes NRS animations are p bad generally, but it kinda takes away from what you're trying to get across when you make stupid blanket statements like "no MK character has any personality".
He's right about MK characters lacking a ton of identity & personality in animation,outside of that they're fine but a lot of the stuff is bland

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I liked Kung laos animations in both games when I played them but after watching them in the video and compared to other characters, yeah. The animations suck

This would have been a much better video without the personal bias.

Yes NRS animations are p bad generally, but it kinda takes away from what you're trying to get across when you make stupid blanket statements like "no MK character has any personality".
thats exactly why i didnt like the post

zabugi

The only Real Master
Mk is a mix of 2d and 3d, some things are bound to be how they are. I like the game the way it is. Kitanas d4...not so much

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The issue is twofold for me.

On one hand I tend to disagree with people claiming that NRS animations lack sharpness that is supposed to accompany any martial arts styled animation, otherwise it's supposedly unrealistic. Well, I will agree that examples those people tend to give me are good and realistic when I see them doing practical crouching kicks, 3f jabs with no recovery to speak of and multiple hitstops on a single swing, okay.

On the other hand, there are numerous animations in NRS games that are rather dumb, and sadly some of those are too integrated into game's general CC design (again, crouching normals).

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
NRS are stuck in the past with everything except for their technology.
Their communications are horribad.
Their animation is still stuck at 90's b-list movie level.
Their design policies are push-and-shove.
Their games don't last five years on a market where there are games that get patched WEEKLY.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
This video is a fucking joke!!! I have already stated my this in the video's comment section a few weeka ago, I thought this didn't made it to TYM but I was wrong.

MK is the most realistoc fighting game series made. It was always more realistic then SF and anu other series since MK1, which had reak actors and resl martial arts portraying the fighters, and there is no fighting series that is truly realistic. Every series has its goofy moments in terms of animation and such, and all of the points this guy said can be said about every fighting game ever made. This guy doesn't wanna buy IJ2 just because of animations alobe but he does wanna buy MVCI that has an mediocre roster and very limited content, of which both MKX and IJ2 are both dominate MVCI and SFV, while the animatons and graphics in these games are even goofier ans both MKX and IJ2 have a top notch presentation?

This guy is nothing but a hater, and nobody should listen to him.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I actually noticed this when I was was playing injustice then went to play tekken tag 2. When you take a jab, your suppose to step in to add momentum behind your punch. So when playing as steve fox, he would do as such, step in lean with his core and snap the punch, then pop back to recover.

Now compare that to injustice's batman. He's completely flat footed, and practically remains in place. There's no weight involved behind the blow either. It actually blew my mind at the time considering Batman is a martial arts master.

So yeah, I hope they work on this in MK11. Tekken has spoiled the hell out of me, as my favorite characters are Hwoarang and Steve primarily due to the Tae Kwon Do and boxing fighting styles.
You're a great man.

I do agree with a lot of what he says in this video and his video on Erron Black, but I do disagree with all MK/INJ animations being wonky. Nutpunch is super fun and cathartic, Gotcha Grab looks goofy but I personally think that makes it better and Leatherface is one of the best animated heavy characters ever imo, he has a real sense of weight with everything he does and it all looks good too.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I actually noticed this when I was was playing injustice then went to play tekken tag 2. When you take a jab, your suppose to step in to add momentum behind your punch. So when playing as steve fox, he would do as such, step in lean with his core and snap the punch, then pop back to recover.

Now compare that to injustice's batman. He's completely flat footed, and practically remains in place. There's no weight involved behind the blow either. It actually blew my mind at the time considering Batman is a martial arts master.

So yeah, I hope they work on this in MK11. Tekken has spoiled the hell out of me, as my favorite characters are Hwoarang and Steve primarily due to the Tae Kwon Do and boxing fighting styles.
The problem is right there though. Making questionable gameplay-affecting decisions (quickest normal being also an advancing one) because of lousy and subjective reason such as aesthetics. And I'm saying that as someone who appreciates "aesthetics through practicality".

Inj2 almost found a good spacing and movement spot (finally!), I'm not sure if it's a good idea to dial back on that.

Remember, folks - FGs aren't RL martial arts.