What's new

Do you even lift bro? Workout thread....

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I've not done it lately as my Cage is out in the back yard and It's like super fucking hot over here atm, leaves you with no energy that and my huge Gland infection having me in bed and pain for the past week haha!

But I try to make sure I get 2 chest days, 2 Leg + shoulder days & 2 Back days in a week.
My brother first got into it quite a while back and he's made MAD gains and I recently got into it properly again for the past 6 weeks, have seen noticeable change from my small skinny ass body become a bit more normal looking.

However I haven't really been using my Protein shake, Don't know why tbh but in any case Most of my meals consist of chicken and various food such as Brown rice/Pasta's/Brocoli/ other vegetables to stay in good health, that or Pizza! ;)

I'm proud of my brothers Change and now I want to be proud of the change I can do, I am small right now but I'm moving up.
I think for sure i push myself the most and lift most on leg days and back days, Chest day I know my limits and i'm rising above them but it's hard work.
All for the good stuff though people, Be proud of your body, and be healthy!

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I take the Swoller Express to Yolkville everyday, after a solid 40 minutes of just walking around looking sweaty with my heaphones in, sometimes I'll actually lift a weight for a few seconds. If you ask me if I'm using a machine, I'll never back down because I'm too alpha to admit I had no intention of using it and pace around it for another 40 minutes then shadow box in a mirror. Most of the time I'm in the sketchy locker room trying to sell shitty steroids, though.
I'd like to see you do that shit when I'm tryin to get some sets in. You wouldn't last 2 minutes in the cage with me bro.

I'd probably catch you in the steam room trying to tell people how to breathe pussy.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
What are your sources? The main issue with creatine is that some studies have shown that it can do damage to the liver or kidney. But in many other studies there are no negative effects. Creatine is found in foods like beef. If you take 5g of creatine a day from a shake and then get it from other food sources, then there should be no negative side effects. I think loading up on creatine may be a bit more risky becasue you take so much in, but if you are just taking 5g a day then it's not a big deal.
Not going to lie I don't have specific sources, but all the coaches I had in high school specifically said not to use creatine. And I have read through different fitness reddits and heard from certain personal trainers that it was bad for you. I wasn't saying just to flat out not do it, because I know it's something we can't know for sure. I said to be careful, because I've heard there's risks. It does make your muscles look bigger by storing more water in your muscles.

EDIT: Googled a source. "Appears to have a large effect on increasing overall weight due to water retention in persons who respond to creatine supplementation. Degree of increase is variable."

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Not going to lie I don't have specific sources, but all the coaches I had in high school specifically said not to use creatine. And I have read through different fitness reddits and heard from certain personal trainers that it was bad for you. I wasn't saying just to flat out not do it, because I know it's something we can't know for sure. I said to be careful, because I've heard there's risks. It does make your muscles look bigger by storing more water in your muscles.

EDIT: Googled a source. "Appears to have a large effect on increasing overall weight due to water retention in persons who respond to creatine supplementation. Degree of increase is variable."

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
Yes, it does store water into your muscles, but the reason it is helpful is because it impoves your muscles ability to contract and that's why there's a saying that it helps you get "that 1 last rep."

As I said in my other post, I truly believe that if you just take 5g a day then you are ok. Some people load the creatine which means they take like 20g a day then 15g then 10g etc. and that I think can cause more issues because the body is not meant to receive so much of it. And the problem with that study is that it doesn't really conclude anything.

Sorry if I came off as a bit condescending in my earlier post.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Yes, it does store water into your muscles, but the reason it is helpful is because it impoves your muscles ability to contract and that's why there's a saying that it helps you get "that 1 last rep."

As I said in my other post, I truly believe that if you just take 5g a day then you are ok. Some people load the creatine which means they take like 20g a day then 15g then 10g etc. and that I think can cause more issues because the body is not meant to receive so much of it. And the problem with that study is that it doesn't really conclude anything.

Sorry if I came off as a bit condescending in my earlier post.
Trust me I didn't take it as condescending. You seem to know more about it than I do. And your questions lead me to more research, which is never a bad thing.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Trust me I didn't take it as condescending. You seem to know more about it than I do. And your questions lead me to more research, which is never a bad thing.
Yeah, back when I was in high-school and started looking into supplements, creatine was one of the things I was really cautious of and did a lot of reading about it. Ultimately I decided to take it and when I used to wrestle it was a part of my post-practice shake (milk + whey protein + creatine). I never had to cut the amount of creatine I was taking at the time becasue I was always a bit under my weight limit for my weightclass since I was eating healthy.

I stopped taking creatine when I got into college but after like 2 years I got back into seriously working out and stuff. During the past fall and winter I was taking 10g of creatine a day and felt fine but when I had to start cutting weight for BJJ I cut it down to 5g. Now I just take 5g a day in my protein shake.

I tried pre-workout before (musclepharm brand? I don't remember) but I didn't feel like it did anything to me. My friend tells me it helps him if he's already sleepy/tired before the workout begins but I'm usually feeling ok by the time I force myself to the gym. I think the main component of pre-workout that plays a factor is the caffeine. I think some also have a lot of BCAAs.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
3 years of doing nothing (2010 fall - beginning of August 2013), playing too much and not excercising, I was down to 67 kg/148 pounds this August. I decided to pretty much stop gaming altogether and start hitting the gym almost everyday, eating right before and after training sessions, taking Whey protein, Creatine, Beta-Alanine and Glutamine and now I am 88 kg/194 pounds. I nearly jizzed my pants a few weeks back when I tried to one-arm military press my 34,5 kg/76 pound kettlebell for just once and I was able to hit 5 reps pretty comfortably. Making gains is getting soooo fkn addictive :D

I have been doing this by following basic strength training principles, without a program. Just progressive overloading on front/back squats, bench presses and deadlifts with no more than 5 reps per set(2-4 sets), 5 minute rest intervals between sets and doing "ladders" on one-arm military presses and weighted chin-ups (1 rep, short break, 2 reps, short break etc. up to 5 reps) with power wheel rolls for abs and bicep curls just for looks as assistance excercises.

Omar Isuf, Elliott Hulse (Strengthcamp) and Jonnie Candito (CanditotrainingHQ) have IMO the best channels on Youtube for strength training. Pavel Tsatsouline's books: "Power to the People" and "Relax into stretch" are a must have. Deadlifts and squats aren't dangerous if you fix your posture/mobility, learn proper form and wear shoes with no cushion. A bit of a rant here, but in short, I just wanted to say this stuff to people who are serious about their training. Forget about training to failure and doing 8-12 rep sets with mickey mouse weights on machines and doing other isolation excercises. Free weight compound movements, 5 reps max and not going all-out on your training sessions are the way to go (Yes I am hating on bodybuilding, because it just makes you big with no real functional strength).

Decay

King of the Bill
5 reps max and not going all-out on your training sessions are the way to go (Yes I am hating on bodybuilding, because it just makes you big with no real functional strength).
You're wrong. You cannot get "big" without lifting the necessary weight in order for the muscles to grow to that extent and you also increase your caloric intake. Calories are energy. Now to say a bodybuilder has no functional strength is seriously idiotic, and I have to call you out. Just because someone who trains specifically to lift a one rep max at power lifting has a heavier max, doesn't mean they are more functional in strength than a bodybuilder who trains in volume. Max rep strength isn't the necessarily the best because in that case, you can be like 400 pounds covered in fat and still have a world record deadlift, but if your goal is to be strong and lean, then you may want to train differently..

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
You're wrong. You cannot get "big" without lifting the necessary weight in order for the muscles to grow to that extent and you also increase your caloric intake. Calories are energy. Now to say a bodybuilder has no functional strength is seriously idiotic, and I have to call you out. Just because someone who trains specifically to lift a one rep max at power lifting has a heavier max, doesn't mean they are more functional in strength than a bodybuilder who trains in volume. Max rep strength isn't the necessarily the best because in that case, you can be like 400 pounds covered in fat and still have a world record deadlift, but if your goal is to be strong and lean, then you may want to train differently..
What I meant with not going all out, is not training to failure. Of course the weights used for sets have to be around 60% to 90 % of 1 rep max. Doing more than 5 reps in a single set is redundant. I mean you can do 5-8 to activate muscle hyperthrophy or just 5, or go slow to increase time under tension, going beyond that is just pumping blood through your muscles with Mickey Mouse weights. Some bodybuilders are a lot weaker than they look because they do bodypart splits and isolation exercises, rather than training the whole body as a unit with practical, free weight, compound movements like the squat or deadlift. They don't have the neuromuscular efficiency to utilize their whole body as a unit due to this type of training. It's not their sport to actually lift anything in a competition, they train for looks and not for strength.

I mean there are lots of programs with varying emphasis on strength/hypertrophy, but doing something like 6 sets of 12 reps with 30-120 second rest intervals on a single muscle group is a huge waste of time. Maybe it'll make you bigger, but certainly it is not desirable for developing strength.

The guys who do get fat are the super heavyweight powerlifters or strongmen. They don't give a fuck if they get fat and it's not even practical for them to be jacked with less than 5% bodyfat since they have to be on a caloric surplus all the time anyway to not impede their gains and they don't need to cut weight for competitions.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
What I meant with not going all out, is not training to failure. Of course the weights used for sets have to be around 60% to 90 % of 1 rep max. Doing more than 5 reps in a single set is redundant. I mean you can do 5-8 to activate muscle hyperthrophy or just 5, or go slow to increase time under tension, going beyond that is just pumping blood through your muscles with Mickey Mouse weights. Some bodybuilders are a lot weaker than they look because they do bodypart splits and isolation exercises, rather than training the whole body as a unit with practical, free weight, compound movements like the squat or deadlift. They don't have the neuromuscular efficiency to utilize their whole body as a unit due to this type of training. It's not their sport to actually lift anything in a competition, they train for looks and not for strength.

I mean there are lots of programs with varying emphasis on strength/hypertrophy, but doing something like 6 sets of 12 reps with 30-120 second rest intervals on a single muscle group is a huge waste of time. Maybe it'll make you bigger, but certainly it is not desirable for developing strength.

The guys who do get fat are the super heavyweight powerlifters or strongmen. They don't give a fuck if they get fat and it's not even practical for them to be jacked with less than 5% bodyfat since they have to be on a caloric surplus all the time anyway to not impede their gains and they don't need to cut weight for competitions.

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
Just started lfiting/running again after 3 years off drinking and doing stupid shit. I'll be back to my prime form within 2 months though!!

My old maxes:

Bench - 350 lbs.

Squat - 475 lbs.

Deadlift - 515 lbs.

Mile: 5:03

Half Mile: 1:55

Quarter mile: 0:48

Mosp

Noob
Just started lfiting/running again after 3 years off drinking and doing stupid shit. I'll be back to my prime form within 2 months though!!

My old maxes:

Bench - 350 lbs.

Squat - 475 lbs.

Deadlift - 515 lbs.

What's your height/weight? Those stats sound ridiculous.

S

Subzeeros

I have heard that jump rope is a great exercise, however I myself have never been able to do it. Any tips on how to actually jump rope

I'm 31 with low t and just had my first shot of trt on Tuesday... Felt pretty euphoric for a few days but today I'm dragin again! They say it takes like 2 weeks of shots in the cheeks to really feel the difference.:D I'm kinda scared because these last 3 days have felt like my body was on loan! And this is just the start! What do you guys think? I have a feeling that if I stay this course my girls gonna get the ol fish hook and spitting on the privates treatment soon! Hahaha!

I'm 6 3 with a natural very slim structure. I have to get slim fit shirts just to not have something look baggy. 2 years ago I started running twice a week, and I lift weights about 3 times a week. I use the pull-up bars at the park everytime I go to the convenience store for a snack, as a promise to myself. I really haven't been able to change my torso much at all, but my arms, back, and legs are definitely bigger and more defined. I avoid eating in restaurants or fast food, I try to cook everything at home with fresh ingredients. But, I am a soda junkie. And when there is MK/Injustice, there will be CHIPS.

Edit: I also do a full workout the morning before a tournament. I don't know why. I just assume it must help my nerves, because I have bad panic disorder.
I know this sounds bad but you gotta cut the running out if you want to put on more weight brodi! I have a feeling you're one of those guys that would need to engage in some gluttony in order to gain. Jerk! LOL! Put some peanut butter in you daily.

Decay

King of the Bill

My old maxes:

Bench - 350 lbs.

Squat - 475 lbs.

Deadlift - 515 lbs.

Those are cool maxes, bring it back!

Oh well I do hypertrophy and train myself to failure and I still am able to power lift even though I don't specifically train for 2 reps and 5 minute breaks in between.
In fact here's me pulling 585 at a powerlifting meet at my gym (I'm weighing 235). I never train specifically for 1 rep maxes, and I know when the time comes, I am able to max out.

Here's some sweeeet action shots!

Front squat/squat

preacher curl

Barbell rows

kettle bell lunges

Rodrigue

Spongerod
@Decay II What kind of whey protein do you recommend for a beginner? I started workin out 2 months ago. I wanna get buff. Not the 6 packs kinda buff but more like a beefcake haha so I'm assuming I should take some weigh proteins with a certain fat percentage in it? I'm pretty fit already. I weigh around 70kilos (154 lbs) to 176cms (around 5 ft 8)

Decay

King of the Bill
@Decay II What kind of whey protein do you recommend for a beginner? I started workin out 2 months ago. I wanna get buff. Not the 6 packs kinda buff but more like a beefcake haha so I'm assuming I should take some weigh proteins with a certain fat percentage in it? I'm pretty fit already. I weigh around 70kilos (154 lbs) to 176cms (around 5 ft 8)
Beefcake lol. I guess the only difference between a "6 packs kinda buff" and "beefcake" is the total amount of bodyfat. All it would take for a beefcake to get shredded would be drop the bodyfat percent low enough. So for you, I'd say it's not so much what type of protein powder to buy but more about the overall amount of calories you're taking in a day. If you want to maximize your muscle gains without caring about gaining some fat over it, then increase your calories by a huge amount. Eat 4-6 to meals a day if you have to

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Beefcake lol. I guess the only difference between a "6 packs kinda buff" and "beefcake" is the total amount of bodyfat. All it would take for a beefcake to get shredded would be drop the bodyfat percent low enough. So for you, I'd say it's not so much what type of protein powder to buy but more about the overall amount of calories you're taking in a day. If you want to maximize your muscle gains without caring about gaining some fat over it, then increase your calories by a huge amount. Eat 4-6 to meals a day if you have to
Should I lay off cardio as well? I swim and play tennis like 4 times a week not to mention the time I spend on the treadmill and the elliptical. I think I should stop spending too much time on those

Flagg

Noob
Decay is that you? Very impressive.

A lot of the time we are told to either "cut" or "bulk up" but most people want the best of both worlds.

This is achievable through a method known as recomping but it is the hardest to achieve and requires the most discipline.

Decay

King of the Bill
Should I lay off cardio as well? I swim and play tennis like 4 times a week not to mention the time I spend on the treadmill and the elliptical. I think I should stop spending too much time on those
Cardio is great for endurance, body fat loss and of course cardiovascular system. But if your goal is to gain mass, both muscle and fat, I would lay off it a little. Do heavy compound movements and eat a lot more lol

Decay

King of the Bill
Decay is that you? Very impressive.

A lot of the time we are told to either "cut" or "bulk up" but most people want the best of both worlds.

This is achievable through a method known as recomping but it is the hardest to achieve and requires the most discipline.
Yes it is and thanks. I usually bulk for like a couple months and then lean out again and cycle it that way