What's new

Do you even lift bro? Workout thread....

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Cardio is great for endurance, body fat loss and of course cardiovascular system. But if your goal is to gain mass, both muscle and fat, I would lay off it a little. Do heavy compound movements and eat a lot more lol
Eat more, less cardio! That's awesome hahahaha

So you wouldnt reccomend it to a beginner even though they start off with just the bar (45 lbs)??
No because beginners benefit more from linear progression: 5lbs per work out or per week.

In order to match or surpass this kind of progression you would have to be lifting over 200 lbs because Madcows has 2.5% progression on the lifts. 2.5% of 200 lbs is 5 lbs.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I know this sounds bad but you gotta cut the running out if you want to put on more weight brodi! I have a feeling you're one of those guys that would need to engage in some gluttony in order to gain. Jerk! LOL! Put some peanut butter in you daily.
I'm honestly not interested in bulking up. I run, to stay in shape incase I ever HAVE to run someday... I just like having a little muscle in my arms and chest, and I'm good.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm honestly not interested in bulking up. I run, to stay in shape incase I ever HAVE to run someday... I just like having a little muscle in my arms and chest, and I'm good.
Running is one of the least effective ways to maintain/improve cardiovascular fitness. Aside from stealing gains or getting you ready for a 5k it is pretty useless.

HIIT is the way to go.

I love this thread... also half of these guys in here have no idea what they are talking about lol... so much bro science...

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This is a good way to look at it. If you just want to be more toned you should focus on mixing in strength training with endurance. I like to go to the gym in the morning and do about 30 minutes of strength training, then going back late afternoon to do about 30 minutes of endurance training(minimal weight with 20+ reps).

I'm no expert and that might be a bad way to go about things but its worked out pretty well for me so far.

Fractured_Shadow

This is a good way to look at it. If you just want to be more toned you should focus on mixing in strength training with endurance. I like to go to the gym in the morning and do about 30 minutes of strength training, then going back late afternoon to do about 30 minutes of endurance training(minimal weight with 20+ reps).

I'm no expert and that might be a bad way to go about things but its worked out pretty well for me so far.
ANY activity is good. However to maximize time and effort, cardio acceleration is your best bet.

Cardio acceleration is when you combine weight training with cardio. Inbetween each set you do a minute of cardio and move right into your next set.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
ANY activity is good. However to maximize time and effort, cardio acceleration is your best bet.

Cardio acceleration is when you combine weight training with cardio. Inbetween each set you do a minute of cardio and move right into your next set.
Makes sense.

Running is one of the least effective ways to maintain/improve cardiovascular fitness. Aside from stealing gains or getting you ready for a 5k it is pretty useless.

HIIT is the way to go.

I love this thread... also half of these guys in here have no idea what they are talking about lol... so much bro science...
I can't disagree more with you.

I'm an endurance runner. 10K (Approx 6 and a quarter miles) every day, 5 days a week. 1 Marathon every year. I do weights just to avoid turning into a complete walking-stick and keep some bulk, but I'm really just focused on running.

HIIT is the way to go.

Nothing is "least effective" if the extent that you love doing it allows you to push that workout much further than you would other work-outs that you don't enjoy as much.

Yeah, there are other ways to improve cardio fitness, but the fact I love running the most means I get more of a cardio workout from it than any of the other ways to improve cardio- simply because I would never do any of those alternatives as much given I wouldn't enjoy them.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
All im gonna say is that it is good to keep a healthy and fit body, but if you are one of those big muscle head types who talk alot of shit but when there is a fight most of those types cant fight for shit. So dont fuck with the little guy unless yo know how to fight, the reason I say this b/c I see it all the time.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

HIIT is the way to go.

Well I like to job around the park a few times here and there, so I have some stamina. If someone is chasing me, I want to be able to run away.

Fractured_Shadow

Nothing is "least effective" if the extent that you love doing it allows you to push that workout much further than you would other work-outs that you don't enjoy as much.

Yeah, there are other ways to improve cardio fitness, but the fact I love running the most means I get more of a cardio workout from it than any of the other ways to improve cardio- simply because I would never do any of those alternatives as much given I wouldn't enjoy them.
I love pec flys and if i push myslef hard in them it still isnt as effective as good compound movement of the bench lol.

I love eating bacon but itsnt the most effective way of bulking. Just because you love something doesnt mean it is effective

Fractured_Shadow

Nice I'm natty too, been lifting for 8 years started at 170 pounds 6'2" now I'm 240. Keep up the good work
Im 6' 00" 208

Im just now getting back into the full swing of it because i was forced to follow a workout routine for the police academy and SWAT school....

All those guys made us do was run.... iy was so outdated

187x

Noob

HIIT is the way to go.

what? Nothing is better then running sir