What's new

Do you even lift bro? Workout thread....

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I'm one of those types of guys who packs on weight (mostly muscle, some fat) pretty quickly when I take Whey Protein (I know food contributes a lot, but when I don't take a supplement and stick with my normal eating of yogurt, whole grains, etc. I gain basically nothing). Typically as a guy, I wouldn't mind at all, but for the sport I play I have to stay lean and light in order to perform well.
Thats why I was asking if anyone knew of something that could give me similar lean/strength results but without the gains. :)

Edit: I'm already 185lbs, any bigger or heavier and I'll potentially sacrifice my speed and agility.
What sport?

And I understand about not wanting to pack on extra mass. If you're getting enough protein from foods and you feel good then that's all that matters.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
What sport?

And I understand about not wanting to pack on extra mass. If you're getting enough protein from foods and you feel good then that's all that matters.
Soccer, and I'm a striker (very front of the offense, if you aren't familiar) so being big and bulky isn't optimal.
Any suggestions of something I could use to help with my workouts that won't puff me up? lol

CitizenSnips

Soccer, and I'm a striker (very front of the offense, if you aren't familiar) so being big and bulky isn't optimal.
Any suggestions of something I could use to help with my workouts that won't puff me up? lol
Oh ok, that's cool.

And sorry, no idea brohan. I am constantly taking whey protein, even when I have to cut weight. At the most I will cut out some creatine but the protein is essential for me.

Look into BCAAs. They are one of the staples. Whey protein has some, but you can get higher doses of them if you get something that is strictly meant for giving you more.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/bcaa.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&mr:trackingCode=85F1AED0-BC1A-E111-973E-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=29751521706&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=49343419026

Never tried this myself, but it could be something you can look into.

Do lower rep work and add explosive training to your program.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Just started a workout routine. Tomorrow will be my third day straight lol. My plan is to keep it up for a month straight and maybe more, but a month at the very least. I'm marking down how many reps I do for every exercise and my goal is to do equal or more reps the following day.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Oh ok, that's cool.

And sorry, no idea brohan. I am constantly taking whey protein, even when I have to cut weight. At the most I will cut out some creatine but the protein is essential for me.

Look into BCAAs. They are one of the staples. Whey protein has some, but you can get higher doses of them if you get something that is strictly meant for giving you more.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/bcaa.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&mr:trackingCode=85F1AED0-BC1A-E111-973E-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=29751521706&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=49343419026

Never tried this myself, but it could be something you can look into.
I'll check that type of stuff out and see which products are cleared for use by the NCAA. Thanks!

Do lower rep work and add explosive training to your program.
I was always told that lower rep + higher weight actually makes you larger faster, where as higher reps with a bit lower weight just trains strength/ muscular endurance. . . Have I been doing it wrong?

I've got some explosive exercises such as Squat Cleans and Power Cleans, basically lots involving legs.

CitizenSnips

Just started a workout routine. Tomorrow will be my third day straight lol. My plan is to keep it up for a month straight and maybe more, but a month at the very least. I'm marking down how many reps I do for every exercise and my goal is to do equal or more reps the following day.
Good luck man!

If your goal is to gain strength I would look into a program like Starting Strength or a 5x5 routine. And keeping track of your workouts is a great way to stay focused and motivated!

CitizenSnips

I'll check that type of stuff out and see which products are cleared for use by the NCAA. Thanks!

I was always told that lower rep + higher weight actually makes you larger faster, where as higher reps with a bit lower weight just trains strength/ muscular endurance. . . Have I been doing it wrong?

I've got some explosive exercises such as Squat Cleans and Power Cleans, basically lots involving legs.
Yeah, don't want to piss hot for accidentally taking an OTC product that contains some illegal stuff.

And yes, lower reps - higher weights will build strength while higher reps - lower weights will increase endurance more.

Also, since you said you are an athlete, check out Wendler's 5/3/1 program. The way it is designed you can lift and get stronger while in season. I've done about 3 cycles of it and liked it a lot, since you don't spend all day at the gym and it focuses on 4 main lifts. It looks a bit confusing at first but there are online calculators that make it easy to figure out what you should lift.

REYTHEGREAT

what do you guys suggest to get over a bench press plateau? i heard to stop doing it for a bit or switch to dumbbells.

Generally speaking 1-3 rep range focuses on strength, 3-8 balances str/hyper, 8-12 hypertrophy and 12+ endurance. Also, you must take into account your food intake because that will determine whether you will gain mass or not. For instance, you can gain size in the 1-3 range and loose weight in the 8-12 range despite the range focus area. The reason I suggested the lower rep range is because it will build the lowest amount of size while keeping you strong. I doubt doing endurance training will do anything because you probably already do cardio and soccer drills.

Wemfs

Day 3 done! lol holy crap I worked up a drippy sweat like those NBA players. Be drippin son! I'll update you guys on day 7 if I make it that long

booivi

Good Game :)
Does anyone know if the Madcow 5x5 Training Program is good? I'm looking forward to it because it comes with an Excel spreadsheet where you can type your weight and it calculates you the whole schedule on how you should progress in your workouts.

Wemfs

Is it a good idea to take a day break here and there? Cuz I plan on working out every single day. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a day off to rest right?

CitizenSnips

Is it a good idea to take a day break here and there? Cuz I plan on working out every single day. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a day off to rest right?
You probably shouldn't lift heavy every single day. If you don't lift you can still go out for a run or whatever just so you are actively doing something every day. Usually lift like 4-5 times a week and rest for 2-3. Resting doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing. Often on those days you just do some cardio

Today I did:
Squats- 215lbs 4x3
Overhead press- 110lbs 4x3
other shoulder stuff

Wemfs

Well right now I'm kinda starting out with minimal weight. I'm going for that cut look so I'm trying to do a bunch of reps. I think I'm really gonna have to focus on the cardio though to get my body fat percentage where I want it to be in order to have that chiseled look. Is it a better idea to bulk up first strength wise and then get cut or vise versa, or does it even matter?

Does anyone know if the Madcow 5x5 Training Program is good? I'm looking forward to it because it comes with an Excel spreadsheet where you can type your weight and it calculates you the whole schedule on how you should progress in your workouts.

Madcows 5x5 is excellent program for the intermediate lifter.

Depends on your routine and whether it has a built in deload or not but yes, generally you will want to factor in some time where you deload or simply take some time off completely from training.

Well right now I'm kinda starting out with minimal weight. I'm going for that cut look so I'm trying to do a bunch of reps. I think I'm really gonna have to focus on the cardio though to get my body fat percentage where I want it to be in order to have that chiseled look. Is it a better idea to bulk up first strength wise and then get cut or vise versa, or does it even matter?

In order to cut and BE RIPPED you really want to be lowering your body fat % while maintaining muscle mass as much as possible. For this your training routine will have less of an impact as your diet.

Furthermore, the ideal choice and often most given piece of advice is to build a foundation of strength first and then decide which weight lifting principles to follow.

Personally I began with a strength routine.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Build up your strength first for the lifts. Muscle helps incinerate fat, so the more muscle you have the easier it'll be to actually trim down.

As for getting cut, try lots of swimming and sprinting. The reason I know these work is because I use swimming for endurance training and sprints for...well..sprints lol. Maximum effort in both exercises cuts you up. If you want a sample sprint workout I can give you one that I follow :)

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
How does one stop being "anti-swole"?

I'm so skinny you can feel my sternum and make a clicking sound if you hit it with a finger ;_;