What's new

Do you even lift bro? Workout thread....

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Swimming
Resistence training + cardio acceleration
Biking
HIIT routines
Powerwalking

Ya pretty much everything is better for overall health, joint pain, and full body workouts than running
As a runner myself this is true. Unless you do something like 30 seconds of sprinting, 10 seconds of jogging, 30 seconds of sprinting etc.

Just jogging can keep you in shape but not as well as anything that he just mentioned.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
My body sucks. I have been lifting weights for some time and my shape is much better than it was, but gaining muscle is insanely hard.
Very recently I went to the gym regularly and worked out really well and gained muscle, then I got busy and I didn't go for 3 weeks straight. I went back today and wanted to see how much weight I lost because I stopped going for 3 weeks.

A very depressing answer is 7 pounds.
I lost 7 pounds because I didn't go for 3 weeks.
It's been like this for a long time, if I stop working out for a couple of weeks I lose all that I built in a month or two. It's really depressing.

My body sucks. I have been lifting weights for some time and my shape is much better than it was, but gaining muscle is insanely hard.
Very recently I went to the gym regularly and worked out really well and gained muscle, then I got busy and I didn't go for 3 weeks straight. I went back today and wanted to see how much weight I lost because I stopped going for 3 weeks.

A very depressing answer is 7 pounds.
I lost 7 pounds because I didn't go for 3 weeks.
It's been like this for a long time, if I stop working out for a couple of weeks I lose all that I built in a month or two. It's really depressing.
Eat more food.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Absolutly...shoot
Well, you see, I've been lifting for quite a while now and gained some serious mass over a coupla months. Friends and family are saying that it's probably not healthy and I should take it easy, especially on my biceps. I'm getting kinda worried.

So my question is: Do any of you guys know a good vet?

You know....'Cause these 20 inch pythons are looking hella siiiiiiick brah

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I lift haha. About a year and a half ago I was 5'6 215 and now I dropped to 163. Finally starting to get the cuts I always wanted haha, but for real, cardio sucks. Unless its sports.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Yeah but I hate seeing it all go into belly fat.
I hate belly fat lol.
To increase muscle mass you will NEED to put on BF (caloric surpluss)... there is no way around it. However your muscle mass will mask your body fat gains unless you are on a full out bulk.... when I'm going for the gold on a bulk it isnt unusual to put on about 8 pounds of muscle and about 15 pounds of fat over a year period.

But this is where "cuts" come into play.... shit I can cut about 15 pounds of fat in 3 months and keep all my new shinny muscle mass....

Once you reach your desired weight then just work on maintaining a good amount of clean calories and do strength training splits (5x5)....

Decay

King of the Bill
Did someone seriously say running "steals gains" lol smh.. anyway you guys are gonna love this picture from before I started lifting

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Are there any places where they can fit your foot to a running shoe?

I've went through many pairs and they all kill me.

Fractured_Shadow

Did someone seriously say running "steals gains" lol smh.. anyway you guys are gonna love this picture from before I started lifting

Routine long distance running will "steal" gains because it is catabolic and not anabolic..... there is literally no point in attempting to put on muscle mass in an efficent way while running every day.

There is no way to gain muscle mass while constantly putting your body through a catabolic process. What i was saying is that there are much more effective ways of improving cardiovascular fitness while maintaining muscle mass than running every day.

Routine long distance running will "steal" gains because it is catabolic and not anabolic..... there is literally no point in attempting to put on muscle mass in an efficent way while running every day.

There is no way to gain muscle mass while constantly putting your body through a catabolic process. What i was saying is that there are much more effective ways of improving cardiovascular fitness while maintaining muscle mass than running every day.
Full-body circuit training should the fit the bill if you don't want to run

Fractured_Shadow

Full-body circuit training should the fit the bill if you don't want to run
I agree... but it also depends on your training splits. I do:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Cardio/Abs (jump rope for cardio)
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Cardio/Abs
Day 5: Arms
Day 6: Cardio/Abs
Day 7: Shoulders

In my training schedual I could not fit in a full body circut for cardio.

My "running is bad" mindset is for my own personnal body, goals, workout routine, and nutrition plan. I have noticed that there are more effective ways to increase your cardiovascular fitness than running.

However if you simply want to burn a little fat amd stay in good shape go ahead and run.

If you are trying to bulk, put on large amounts of mass, or simply not lose too mich muscle mass I would not recommend intense running for exercise.

Glad to know that I'm not the only active gamer. I use BCA. You know Syntha 6 and True Mass. I've been on it for years and it works fine for me. I take TKD and love the shit out of it. The default speaks for itself.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Recently I've been doing a lot of calisthenic work outs like pull ups, chin ups, dips, push up, leg raises.. all that good stuff. I definitely feel stronger. Pull ups and dips ain't no joke lol

My core strength has improved as well.

I agree... but it also depends on your training splits. I do:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Cardio/Abs (jump rope for cardio)
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Cardio/Abs
Day 5: Arms
Day 6: Cardio/Abs
Day 7: Shoulders

In my training schedual I could not fit in a full body circut for cardio.

My "running is bad" mindset is for my own personnal body, goals, workout routine, and nutrition plan. I have noticed that there are more effective ways to increase your cardiovascular fitness than running.

However if you simply want to burn a little fat amd stay in good shape go ahead and run.

If you are trying to bulk, put on large amounts of mass, or simply not lose too mich muscle mass I would not recommend intense running for exercise.
Well by full-body circuit training it could be a simple as cutting a soccer field in 4 and doing sprints in between each quarter then you do jump squats, push ups, burpees and sit ups adding weights as you see fit or any other exercise that fits. I personally find that very rewarding. I'm not much of a runner myself although I do enjoy biking and swimming. Must be my shin splints lol damn army days.. I'd get splints before I even ran out the front gates of the base!

Recently I've been doing a lot of calisthenic work outs like pull ups, chin ups, dips, push up, leg raises.. all that good stuff. I definitely feel stronger. Pull ups and dips ain't no joke lol

My core strength has improved as well.
One legged squats ain't no joke!

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Wow, where has this thread been all my life

Been lifting for about 12 years since i was a junior in HS actually got into bodybuilding in my early 20s to the point i was eating 300 grams of protein a day and around 3500 calories. My claim to fame is working out with jay cutler (former mr olymppia) for a week straight when he was in tampa for an appearance a few years back.
Thats soo goddamn cool! When you say you got into body building did you ever compete?

To all you guys who have a hard time putting on muscle, I know that feel

While yes I have been training for years I always struggle with actually gaining weight/size

Cardio/strength always got better, but being an ectromorph ( tall skinny dude ) it felt impossible.

However As you can see I have been able make some solid progress

EDIT- How the heck do I scale these pictures down lol
Damn dude you gained a lot but still kept pretty lean, what kind of training did you do/how clean were you eating as you increased your calories?

Oh well I do hypertrophy and train myself to failure and I still am able to power lift even though I don't specifically train for 2 reps and 5 minute breaks in between.
In fact here's me pulling 585 at a powerlifting meet at my gym (I'm weighing 235). I never train specifically for 1 rep maxes, and I know when the time comes, I am able to max out.
Your huge man, I want to hit 500 soo bad!

Not going to lie I don't have specific sources, but all the coaches I had in high school specifically said not to use creatine. And I have read through different fitness reddits and heard from certain personal trainers that it was bad for you. I wasn't saying just to flat out not do it, because I know it's something we can't know for sure. I said to be careful, because I've heard there's risks. It does make your muscles look bigger by storing more water in your muscles.

EDIT: Googled a source. "Appears to have a large effect on increasing overall weight due to water retention in persons who respond to creatine supplementation. Degree of increase is variable."

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
Its weird that you mention your coaches said not to take it. In highscool my head football coach, who was also a health teacher, actually took time out in class to talk about creatine. He highlighted only positives and suggested any athlete and other people trying to build muscle take it. I also thought that it was a little weird for him to take the time in class to do that even if there were players in the class. Regardless I never really used any supplements until very recently

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
As far as my own fitness training goes, ever since I played football in highschool ive basically been a bench press bro(tons of beanch, dumbell stuff for arms, and power cleans). Around august last year I decided to get more serious about my training, and march this year I switched to modified version of PHAT thats only four days because im a big wimp that hates doing legs lol

Day1 upper body power
3/5 ohp
3/3-5 Bent over rows
2/10-15 weighted dips
3/3-5 Bench press
2/10 weighted push ups
3/6-10 dumbbell shoulder press
3/3-5 preachers curls

Day 2 lower body power
2/8 back extensions
3/3-5 squats
2/6-10 hack squats
3/5-8 Rack pulls
3/5-8 dead lifts
2/6-10 lying leg curls
3/6-10 standing or seated calf raises
2/8-12 back extensions

Day 3 backandshoulder hypertrophy
3/8-12 OHP(80%)
6/5(3/7-10)bent over rows(with 70% of normal 3-5 max)
4/10 seated cable row
3/10-15 dumbbell rows
2/15-20 close grip pull downs
3/12-20 side lateral raises

Day 4 chest and arm hypertrophy
3/8-12close grip bench or 3/8-12 dumbbell flys
3/8-12 far grip bench or 3/8-12 incline dumbbell press
6/3 bench press(70% 3-5 rep max)
3/8-12 hammer curls
3/12-15 preachers curls
3/8-12 tricep extension
3/12-15 cable press down

In the first two months of PHAT my bench went up ten pounds, only real improvement I can speak on so far

current max's
Bench - 275
DL - never max'ed, most ive pulled is 345(dont see myself pulling too much more than that though)
Squat - who cares I hate legs

Recently took a break from a cut that turned into a three week break from lifting that im kickimg my ass about, finally got some iron in my hands today along with some whey to make my coming bulk easier