What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

Milk

Snake eyes
hey i need some reptile experience..can i add eny of u 4 some math up learning exp..?..i play kitana as my main but reptile keeps me away with
with his shanigans into elbow!!..
Send me an add and we'll play some friendlies eventually.

Milk

Snake eyes
Sure. x THTB x is my tag...just send a FR.

If Sub gets you in the corner, he can clone close enough that you cannot move anywhere. You just have to guess how he's gonna come in and attack. You can stall him by throwing projectiles to get him to stop advancing if he's not careful...and possibly get rid of the clone to get a quick dash out the corner...but you just have to be patient as hell. Playing Tom Brady in casuals prior to our match at PowerUp taught me exactly how dangerous the character is once he pushes you to the corner. :confused:

It's definitely 4.5-5.5...but it definitely is annoying. Both characters have to really make correct reads or they eat shit, but Sub can just do it a little better.
Fair enough. I watched your match against Brady and that's what gave me the basis of my write up. This weekend, or Friday, Chef and I are going to do some Reptile Sub matches just for better reference. We're going to do this for all the write ups that I do, just so I'm not spitballing. We'll prolly' just do 'em on Sunday's or something, so I can do the write up Monday.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I'll be sending it with a random PSN tag. I have to make a new one and use the 2 day trial since I can't register my online pass right now...

Stupid PSN store...

Milk

Snake eyes
I'll be sending it with a random PSN tag. I have to make a new one and use the 2 day trial since I can't register my online pass right now...

Stupid PSN store...
Shit I just realized I wont be able to register mine either.. :(

I was for real trying to register mine right when PSN went down. Any news when the store is going back up

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I feel bad for ps3 owners, I have over 600 matches online.

I know playing online isn't as fun as playing with someone in person but none of my friends are really into fighting games, so I have to rely on online. I hope PSN gets sorted out so you guys can play too, it's been like 3 weeks or something from what I know.

U-Volt

Noob
So I'm thinking the next few matchups we need to break down are in no order:

Liu Kang
Raiden
Kung Lao

I'd be down to help with whatever I can here, just let me know what I can do.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
yea def. need some sort of experience in the vs Lao dep. Hes a little difficult to zone and hes not the easiest to rushdown

Milk

Snake eyes
So I'm thinking the next few matchups we need to break down are in no order:

Liu Kang
Raiden
Kung Lao

I'd be down to help with whatever I can here, just let me know what I can do.
We're going down the list, in the order they are in the Test Your Might forum section. Next after Sub will be Ermac. Telling you now though, Raiden is gonna' be against us, Kung will be even. Not sure about Kang, Chef and I will test when PSN is back up.

Also, for the record, played some today, and gotta' say, I underestimated ex charged forceball. If you follow it, against Sektor, and he's dumb enough to try to tag you with a teleort, he runs RIGHT into the thing, giving you a free combo.

U-Volt

Noob
We're going down the list, in the order they are in the Test Your Might forum section. Next after Sub will be Ermac. Telling you now though, Raiden is gonna' be against us, Kung will be even. Not sure about Kang, Chef and I will test when PSN is back up.

Also, for the record, played some today, and gotta' say, I underestimated ex charged forceball. If you follow it, against Sektor, and he's dumb enough to try to tag you with a teleort, he runs RIGHT into the thing, giving you a free combo.
Yea I figured as much with Raiden, and Kung does seem even. Depending on how we can punish Kangs strings, well see on that. I guess my point is, why not work on our toughest matchups first? Seems more productive. I know I would benefit much more from some Raiden intel than Ermac intel, personally.

And again, I'm down any time to meet up on PSN and help as much as I can. Gotta do my part for the Reptile army!

Milk

Snake eyes
Yea I figured as much with Raiden, and Kung does seem even. Depending on how we can punish Kangs strings, well see on that. I guess my point is, why not work on our toughest matchups first? Seems more productive. I know I would benefit much more from some Raiden intel than Ermac intel, personally.

And again, I'm down any time to meet up on PSN and help as much as I can. Gotta do my part for the Reptile army!
Partly because two reasons:

1. Organizational purposes. I lead quite a busy life, it's just a lot easier to organize and less to worry about, and doing it this way is just a lot easier. By all means I do completely see where you're coming from, but, yeah.
2. PSN being down. I can't redeem my Kombat Code yet, so I can't play online yet. :( Chef and I are going to do a lot of match up testing, since we can both play everyone pretty much. It may be online, but it'll give us a general idea of how to approach certain match ups. So, we might as well handle easy or favorable match ups until everyone's on the same playing field, and we can all give accurate data.

Mini Raiden write up in a nutshell, the tourney I went to, a Raiden got second, and I had a lengthy grind session with him. I'd say it's 60 - 40, Raiden's superman is like the equal to Sub's clones, but, his corner combos are significantly more vicious then Sub's. Any approach you do, he can pretty much super man you out of it. If he does a fireball, do not approach, if he sees you move, you're gonna' get Supermaned, and it will more than likely tag you. Zone a bit with force balls, and just really try to bait him into a superman, block and punish. That move is REALLY hard to block on reaction, since it's so fast. EX fireballs are lame, keep an eye out for those. If he gets you in a string, you have to be the judge if you should breaker or not, Raiden can do some serious damage. Try to make him use his meter, his x ray is amazing and simple to combo into. His teleport is pretty quick to recover, don't try to uppercut or anything out of teleport. I'm not even sure if you have time to land an elbow dash. We'll do more extensive testing when PSN is back up. Overall, don't approach after a blocked fireball, superman is really hard to punish, build meter, and, I dunno if X Ray beats out super man? There's a psuedo-write up, do a full one when the time comes. Chef and I will do some testing for sure.

EGP Wonder_Chef

You have a lot of time to land an elbow dash.

Luckily for us Reptile is the character with the easiest time punishing Raiden's teleport out of the entire cast. It isn't easy, but I suggest you go to training mode with a friend and learn the timing as much as possible.

Another good thing to mention is that if you do a preemptive jump back kick you can hit raiden out of his teleport.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
All I can say is that I farking hate fighting Raiden.

The nooby ones aren't bad since they are incredibly predictable, but the defensive ones who know how to play the game are damn annoying to fight. I agree with the 60-40 Raiden rating and think maybe the matchup can be worse for us.

When he is zoning I find it difficult to really do anything. Shooting forceballs hasn't worked outfor me since the Raiden will just teleport. I tend to just block and slowly move towards him if he just shoots lighting.

I fought one today who specifically was a pain in the ass. He is ranked top 15 in ranked so he is at least experienced. What he did was move away from me and shoot lighting. He would then teleport eventually and try to sweep or grab me. Usually I was able to block and then he would jump and superman across the screen and repeat his whole strategy. I won and he sent me a hate message but it was really close and if I were to fight those Raidens over and over I don't think I'd win too many.

J/w what is everyones alternate/sub character to reptile? I need/want to master a new character but im not sure which.

Milk

Snake eyes
You have a lot of time to land an elbow dash.

Luckily for us Reptile is the character with the easiest time punishing Raiden's teleport out of the entire cast. It isn't easy, but I suggest you go to training mode with a friend and learn the timing as much as possible.

Another good thing to mention is that if you do a preemptive jump back kick you can hit raiden out of his teleport.
Good to know. Were gonna have to practice this one a lot Chef.

J/w what is everyones alternate/sub character to reptile? I need/want to master a new character but im not sure which.
My alts are Liu Kang and Smoke. Smoke cause he feels like he flows like Reptile, Kang cause hes straight rushdown but can zone if need be.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Am I the only one here that just plays Reptile and feels he doesn't have 1 horrid matchup that requires an alt? >.>

:D

Milk

Snake eyes
Am I the only one here that just plays Reptile and feels he doesn't have 1 horrid matchup that requires an alt? >.>

I play my alts for giggles. I always go 100% Reptile in tourney, I hate counterpicking. I only say Raiden is 60/40 now cause I've only played against a Raiden for like an hour and prior to this, I had never fought one. I'll just write it down as match up inexperience. :D Honestly once I got used to it it wasn't that bad.

:)

How I kind of feel about Reptile is that with the higher tiered characters, he doesn't have any like overbearing strengths to make the match ups incredibly difficult for the other players, but, he can easily keep up and when he gets his flow going, he's hard to take down, as to why he isn't like top tier by a large margin like Kung.

EGP Wonder_Chef

I didn't think he had any hell matchups until I played a good Liu Kang. That match really made me pick up an alt.

Thanks for the matchup info, everyone. I don't get to play any in-person matches, and online is basically a special frenzy because of lag.

Like several of you, I only play Reptile as well.

U-Volt

Noob

The only matchup that feels very hard to me is Raiden. The rest I can see very obvious ways to get around things.

Then again, I haven't tried elbow dashing Raidens teleport yet :O.