What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

U-Volt

Noob
YO LIZARD ARMY!

OK, so without frame data being readily available yet, and without training mode having a record mode for dummies, I've ran into a few problems I was wondering if you guys could help me with.

1. When fighting Liu Kang, he has 2 strings that I've seen most decent players mix up with. One ends in an OH, the other starts with a low. I've become adept at blocking them correctly, but the problem is that it seems like Kang can do these strings back to back and I can't punish in between. A friend that plays Kabal says he can punish with a standing 1 or 2, and I was wondering if Rep could do the same. It would be AWESOME if we could punish with a standing 3, but I just know that wont work. I've tried elbow dashing numerous times and couldn't seem to do it successfully, thus eating a meaty bowl of Kang Kombo.

2. Kung Lao's spin. I know we can punish it, but I've just been using elbow dashes from every range to make sure I get the punish. What are the optimal punishes from each block range? i.e. blocking deep, blocking far, etc.

3. Lastly, out of sheer desperation to play someone I started to play online recently. There seems to be a common tactic online where you block string, jump over the opponent, block string, repeat. Now, I know this can't be a valid and safe tactic, considering I don't see any top players do this. My question is, how can I punish this? I've tried a preemptive uppercut, but it usually whiffs. Keep it mind, it could just be the latency online making this situation a lot more hopeless than it seems.

Anyways, I look forward to some input from my fellow Reptilian aficionados! Thanks in advance for the help!

U-Volt

Noob
Anyone else have problems with Kabal, faced a guy online earlier and couldnt figure out how to deal with him.
Double post, sorry!

I play against a pretty decent Kabal, and here's what I've noticed...

He generally likes to try and zone me out a lot. He will stand 3/4 of the screen or further back, and mix up with low projectiles (blades) or instant air fireballs (iaf). Best thing to do in this situation is to be patient and find openings. When he throws a blade, jump it. The moment you see him jump for the IAF, elbow dash in. I dont think the IAF's can hit you when you elbow dash even if he's doing them as low as possible, at least they never hit me.

From midrange, he likes to start his run stop shenanigans. If he sees me blocking low he will immediately run stop overhead command throw (sorry dont know the name), or he will run stop and start his 32xxrunstop strings. Best advice for those in the next section...

When he's in, and doing his 32xxrunstop strings, i basically have to just react quickly to overhead command throws, and normal throws. If you see him stop the 32 and start on the other string (the one that hits low), prepare to block accordingly. Also know that a blocked overhead can be elbow dashed.

Once you're in, you need to keep an eye on his meter, and read your opponent because of one huge factor....the EX Dash..... If you see your opponent do ex dashes on wakeup when you are pressuring them, start baiting them out as best you can. I'll either do elbow dash corpse hops to confuse him, or feint a 1 or 2 and then block when he wakes up in order to do so. Once you condition him to stop doing that for a bit, go ahead and mix him up for a bit, but stay safe. Just general oki rules apply here, all around :).

I'm sure there is MUCH more to this matchup, but that's what intel I got from my session the other day. Hope it helps!

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
YO LIZARD ARMY!

OK, so without frame data being readily available yet, and without training mode having a record mode for dummies, I've ran into a few problems I was wondering if you guys could help me with.

1. When fighting Liu Kang, he has 2 strings that I've seen most decent players mix up with. One ends in an OH, the other starts with a low. I've become adept at blocking them correctly, but the problem is that it seems like Kang can do these strings back to back and I can't punish in between. A friend that plays Kabal says he can punish with a standing 1 or 2, and I was wondering if Rep could do the same. It would be AWESOME if we could punish with a standing 3, but I just know that wont work. I've tried elbow dashing numerous times and couldn't seem to do it successfully, thus eating a meaty bowl of Kang Kombo.

2. Kung Lao's spin. I know we can punish it, but I've just been using elbow dashes from every range to make sure I get the punish. What are the optimal punishes from each block range? i.e. blocking deep, blocking far, etc.

3. Lastly, out of sheer desperation to play someone I started to play online recently. There seems to be a common tactic online where you block string, jump over the opponent, block string, repeat. Now, I know this can't be a valid and safe tactic, considering I don't see any top players do this. My question is, how can I punish this? I've tried a preemptive uppercut, but it usually whiffs. Keep it mind, it could just be the latency online making this situation a lot more hopeless than it seems.

Anyways, I look forward to some input from my fellow Reptilian aficionados! Thanks in advance for the help!
Against Liu Kang, if they are constantly doing the combos back to back, you can elbow dash in between and hit him.

If people are jumping then comboing and repeat, I would just elbow dash out of there and spam porjectiles and then go in and combo on them. I don't know if I am just horrible with uppercuts or what, but I can basically never punish with an uppercut unless it is from an opponent who cannot move in the air.

U-Volt

Noob
Against Liu Kang, if they are constantly doing the combos back to back, you can elbow dash in between and hit him.

If people are jumping then comboing and repeat, I would just elbow dash out of there and spam porjectiles and then go in and combo on them. I don't know if I am just horrible with uppercuts or what, but I can basically never punish with an uppercut unless it is from an opponent who cannot move in the air.
Are you positive on this? It seemed like the block stun was crazy, and the moment I tried the elbow dash I would get hit. Again, this was online too, unfortunately, so that might be the problem.

Milk

Snake eyes
@Uvolt
Yes you can tag them between normal strings with Rep, I dunno about Liu though, his back to back normal combos are super quick, considering he's in my arsenal somewhere. If people keep jumping in on you, either ex green hand or ex forceball, regular on both I guess would work if you read the jump in quick enough.
Rep's Uppercut is one of his lesser AA's.

@Crimson
I'm writing the write up right now. I'll post it shortly, I'll make another post letting you know when the main post is updated.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Crossup jump is a legitimate tactic...in fact, crossup jump punch is one of the best options every character has as far as offense goes. Beating it is simple...read a crossup jump and meet them air-to-air. Though, Reptile can dash underneath cleanly...something just about every other character lacks.

Kang's strings are not advantage on block. Take full advantage of your generic lows like d1 and d3. Crossup jump works well if you read a string not f12.

Dash is the only way to punish Kung's spin with Reptile.

CitizenSnips

Are you positive on this? It seemed like the block stun was crazy, and the moment I tried the elbow dash I would get hit. Again, this was online too, unfortunately, so that might be the problem.
It could be error from the Liu Kang player, but I have escaped those situations before with elbow dash. And like THTB, you can try his low attacks. I know what you mean, it can be annoying when Kang is all in your face going crazy with combos. I might be wrong aboout elbow dashing, I know it works against many other characters, not 100% sure if it works on Kang. Sorry if I am wrong, like I said it could be error from the Kang player.

U-Volt

Noob
It could be error from the Liu Kang player, but I have escaped those situations before with elbow dash. And like THTB, you can try his low attacks. I know what you mean, it can be annoying when Kang is all in your face going crazy with combos. I might be wrong aboout elbow dashing, I know it works against many other characters, not 100% sure if it works on Kang. Sorry if I am wrong, like I said it could be error from the Kang player.
Gotcha, thanks to you and to THTB for the very useful information. I'll try to utilize it next time I'm in a similar situation. Just want to point out though, all of these questions could easily be answered if we could just get the FRAME DATA for this game! Driving a numbers geek over here crazy!

Milk

Snake eyes
Just wrote my Write Up for the Sub Zero match up, and put it in the 2nd post. THTB, if you could help a bit more with this match up write up, that'd be fantastic, I just wrote down everything I could think of the best of my knowledge.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Kang's strings are not advantage on block. Take full advantage of your generic lows like d1 and d3. Crossup jump works well if you read a string not f12.
We tested it at the PDP tournament (unpatched 360's) and his Back+3 1 2 chain was heavily + on block. In fact it left him at such and advantage that nothing I did could interrupt him from doing that same chain again aside from jumping. Seriously it even stuffed crouching 1 and 3.

This could have been something that was changed in patches of course, so I'll try to test this a bit more tomorrow.

Liu Kang is really stupid.

THTB

Acid spit is not the main projectile for this matchup. It's forceball. Spit is extremely risky because a trade is almost never in Reptile's favor. Fast forceball is basically the total opposite of spit in that trades usually will favor Reptile from the right range.

Slide, I do not believe goes under freeze.

Really, in this matchup, you wanna stay full screen, where projectile trades will favor you. Getting X-Ray is particularly huge since it shuts off a lot of his zoning...not even clones stop it. If anything, you just wanna use fast forceball to build meter to get X-Ray. But if you want to get in and try to apply pressure, you have to do so in a manner that keeps you in his face. Being anywhere around the closest range he can do clone is very dangerous, so never let him get any breathing room. Also, you have to be wary of EX freeze. Don't be afraid to just neutral crouch under it.

If Sub gets you in the corner...it's VERY difficult to escape since clone is so ridiculous at that point.

I feel the matchup is a 4.5-5.5 in Sub's favor. Anyone can win, but Sub's zoning is better, for sure, by a sliver. Him being able to counter your zoning with less meter investment is probably the killer part.

U-Volt

Noob
We tested it at the PDP tournament (unpatched 360's) and his Back+3 1 2 chain was heavily + on block. In fact it left him at such and advantage that nothing I did could interrupt him from doing that same chain again aside from jumping. Seriously it even stuffed crouching 1 and 3.

This could have been something that was changed in patches of course, so I'll try to test this a bit more tomorrow.

Liu Kang is really stupid.
This scares me... We should go ahead and reopen this Kang discussion, and let us know what you find out when you test it on a patched version. What we really need is a Reptile player who plays against a good Kang to break down the matchup.

BTW good shit on the Sub breakdown THTB. I have good exp on that matchup and can vouch for everything you said there. :)

Milk

Snake eyes
Chef, since you have PSN, want to play a few eventually down the road, my Kang vs your Reptile so we can figure out some stuff?

@THTB
Right on Acid Spit, considering we get a freeze on a trade, it's almost never worth it. I wrote a bit on how important X Ray could be in this match up, as to why the person would need to save it. We won't need to use our meter to AA with ex forceball or ex green hand or whatever, since Sub won't really jump in much. What's extra good about clone in the corner?

You really feel 45:55? That was my first guess, but I felt his ability to zone us outweighed our half of the match up.

U-Volt

Noob
Chef, since you have PSN, want to play a few eventually down the road, my Kang vs your Reptile so we can figure out some stuff?

@THTB
Right on Acid Spit, considering we get a freeze on a trade, it's almost never worth it. I wrote a bit on how important X Ray could be in this match up, as to why the person would need to save it. We won't need to use our meter to AA with ex forceball or ex green hand or whatever, since Sub won't really jump in much. What's extra good about clone in the corner?

You really feel 45:55? That was my first guess, but I felt his ability to zone us outweighed our half of the match up.
I have PSN too, I'd be down to lab it up sometime :).

CitizenSnips

Anyone want to add me to XBL? U-Volt, WonderChef, THTB?

I am not so good at Reptile mirrors matches, so it'd be nice to get some good practice in.

U-Volt

Noob

I am not so good at Reptile mirrors matches, so it'd be nice to get some good practice in.
Unfortunately I only have a ps3 copy ATM. I plan to get a 360 copy soon though, so I can play with everyone I know. I'll also need to get some sort of adapter too, bc I play this game on ps3 pad. Still weird to me that this is the only fighter where I've ever preferred pad to stick lol.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I suggested this in the Reptile Friendly's thread actually. I'm down if the lag isn't too bad.

I only have it for PS3 too. If I get it for 360 I'll add you though.

Also I'm mad jealous of your name.

CITIZEN SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPS!

Milk

Snake eyes
I suggested this in the Reptile Friendly's thread actually. I'm down if the lag isn't too bad.

I only have it for PS3 too. If I get it for 360 I'll add you though.

Also I'm mad jealous of your name.

CITIZEN SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPS!
Shoot me an add sometime, my PSN is in my info. We'll play sometime this week, once I take a break from LA Noire. I'll just do Kang and Smoke, since he's coming up soon too.

THTB

Sure. x THTB x is my tag...just send a FR.

@THTB

If Sub gets you in the corner, he can clone close enough that you cannot move anywhere. You just have to guess how he's gonna come in and attack. You can stall him by throwing projectiles to get him to stop advancing if he's not careful...and possibly get rid of the clone to get a quick dash out the corner...but you just have to be patient as hell. Playing Tom Brady in casuals prior to our match at PowerUp taught me exactly how dangerous the character is once he pushes you to the corner. :confused:

It's definitely 4.5-5.5...but it definitely is annoying. Both characters have to really make correct reads or they eat shit, but Sub can just do it a little better.

CitizenSnips

Man everyone's got this on ps3? I won't lie if I had ps3 I would get my fighters on that system too, but I am pretty used to the crappy 360 controller now. Also, for some reason, people playing MK seem to be the only ones who know where my GT is from. It's pretty weird because I've had this GT for like 4 years but until I played with MK players and got onto MK boards, basically no one knew where Citizen Snips is from.

Alright THTB I'll add you when I finish my finals tomorrow.

And yeah getting cornered by Sub Zero sucks. My brother plays him and while he isn't too good with combos, he is really good with zoning and placing the ice clone and when I'm cornered I usually end up getting smashed.

APPLES

Noob
hey i need some reptile experience..can i add eny of u 4 some math up learning exp..?..i play kitana as my main but reptile keeps me away with
with his shanigans into elbow!!..