What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I just realized that I am horirble against Mileena. Here is what I posted in the thread asking for hellp against Mileena.

The problem I have is that once she gets close, I'm dead. It is pretty funny because most of the time once I get close to an opponent, I beat them down but against Mileena I get stuck blocking and eventually losing to her mixup game. She can launch with an overhead and low. Her low is started with a simple but fast low kick into roll.

Her zoning is good enough so that I can't really out zone her due to her teleport and her roll goes under mine. Getting hit with the tele-dive, overhead or low kick results in combos. I honestly think Mileena is a bad matchup for us.

Milk

Snake eyes
The tourney I went to, a mileena placed first ,she was really difficult. That overhead is amazing and has a lot of block stun on it.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I mentioned earlier to THTB that I was anti airing with 3 2 xx Force Ball, but I now find that 1 xx Force Ball is a little more consistent at anti airing.

This isn't matchup specific but I don't know where to post it.

Also guys, remember that when you meet someone air to air with a jump punch midscreen you can follow up with a slide as you hit the ground.

Been putting together ideas for a video on anti airs so these came to mind.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Against Raiden...

I know I'm going to run into some problems with this matchup when I play a good Raiden. You can't put projectiles on the screen unless it's directly after a knockdown because of reaction teleport and even electric fly. I usually try to bait a teleport and jump back so that I land on top of him. It's still somewhat of a risky guess but I can't think of any other options to punish his teleport. It's almost like I have to let him do whatever he wan't and then just guess right to get any type of damage. Anyone have any info on this matchup?

Against sub

I have some pretty good experience vs subby. Far away fast ball and spit are great, also spit seems great at a lot of ranges as long as you have momentum with the projectiles. If you get full screen away and spit he has no choice but to crouch and try to advance, you can also mix in fast ball. With momentum in your favor it's hard for sub to get that first freeze on the screen without being stuffed.

Normally he's trying to get close and put out a clone to safely throw ice and back you into the corner. Also besides the corner I think subs sweet spot against reptile is mid range, unless you have x ray stocked. You can now safely put force balls on the screen as long as you keep him scared. Normally they will try to jump over the force ball from that range and punish you with a big combo considering force ball recovery is slow but theres an option you can use against that to keep them scared. Throw out an ex slow force ball to bait the jump (it's a great AA imo and leads to good damage) after that follow up on the knockdown and rush him, reptile builds meter extremely fast so you'll have xray again in no time to check his ice ball.

If you're thinking he can just freeze your ex slow ball on reaction thats true but it's just another option, he's going to think hard before throwing it out. Also you have ex fast ball that you can release and stuff his freeze if he is looking for ex slow ball and you get big damage.

Also up close on sub d+4 xx hand is great cause it stuffs clone attempts and moves you in close.

Oh and ex slow ball will probably work great on cyber sub zero's reaction dive kicks and make him think twice. I know it all costs meter but seriously reptile gets a little pressure going and he builds meter quickly. Just manage it good, i think spending one bar to net 30 to 40% damage and some follow up pressure is a great trade off.

Please school me here if I'm completely wrong on some of this. Still learning the game.

Milk

Snake eyes
@Chef:
Good shit. I noticed you doing 1 xx fb as anti air, I like it.

@Scoot
Good shit on your info, making Sub doesn't get his clone nonsense going is important. EX FB is a good AA in any match up, not just Cyber Sub.

@Everyone
I dunno how much you guys have looked at Reptile's movelist, but I for real did not know 3 2 could combo into sweep. ????

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Good stuff, Chef. I shoulda figured 1 xx forceball would work well.

THTB

Man...just when I got my hopes up about the Sub matchup...

If he blocks an EX dash...ice clone all day. This makes using EX dash to escape the corner even riskier than it already is. Fuck.

EGP Wonder_Chef

If he blocks an EX dash...ice clone all day. This makes using EX dash to escape the corner even riskier than it already is. Fuck.
Yeah and I picked up Noob to fight him, but it turns out that you can't punish Ice Ball with Noob's tele slam... Sub crouches when he does it...

I'm thinking about using Scorpion for this matchup.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments

Why not use the EX slide? Doesn't it have invincibility frames as well and if it lands it would put the opponent in the corner. If only Reptiles invis move was a teleport :p

Milk

Snake eyes
Why not use the EX slide? Doesn't it have invincibility frames as well and if it lands it would put the opponent in the corner. If only Reptiles invis move was a teleport :p
Ex Slide doesnt have invinc I dont think and on block its a free full combo.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Speaking of EX Slide, I don't think people have noticed, but it's amazing at going under fireballs.

It goes waaaaay lower than normal slide.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
is it just me or does it seem like reptile is very hard to use online.. i usually get my ass kicked and i have prolly trained with him the most and with players like liu kang, cyrax, and sub i can get mostlywins. i find any of his 321 combos very hard to start up as his kick is slow and is is stand alone. and when i try to use jump punch i usually get punished

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Best thing to do against sub is not get cornered. If he gets you there he earned it. If you do get cornered save your meter for a breaker.

Milk

Snake eyes
Speaking of EX Slide, I don't think people have noticed, but it's amazing at going under fireballs.

Oh yes. I looooove it!

Reptile is difficult to use online cause Reptile requires a lot of reaction, and online eliminates that whatsoever.

Milk

Snake eyes
Also, lets start talking Ermac. I kind of forgot about it, generally, I don't feel Ermac is really difficult at all. You get a complete full punish combo off of a whiffed lift. What else does everyone has to say? I'll do the write up closer to the middle of the week.

I'm just going to chalk it up to being online. I think I am a pretty decent player and usually win online but when I use reptile against someone on my skill level I usually lose more than I win with him. Reptile is so hard to use online.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber

its very nice vs sub zero and characters with air projectiles..but noob is still a total ass with with with running man

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Also, lets start talking Ermac. I kind of forgot about it, generally, I don't feel Ermac is really difficult at all. You get a complete full punish combo off of a whiffed lift. What else does everyone has to say? I'll do the write up closer to the middle of the week.
Yeah I actually think Ermac is a good matchup for us.

I fought so many online that even good Ermac players usually don't trick me. The lift is still a big threat since it has some range and he can use it as a wakeup attack, but it just seems easy to punish Ermac. The weird thing is that I feel like turtling against Ermac is really effective. His zoning is nothing spectacular and it seems like they actually tend to get close in order to get the lift in. If the lift is blocked from some distance away, you can still punish with elbow dash.

The only annoying thing is his unblockable slam because he can teleport out of it. Is hten any clue as to if he can teleport or not? I tend to jump to not get hit but then they teleport. Is there a specific time he can't get out of the slam?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Playing people of the same skill level with Reptile is a bit annoying because the lag plays a huge factor but due to the lag most people can't react to the elbow dash so spam it a little more than usual.

THTB, Chef, and Citizen is it cool I shoot you guys a fr on xbl? I'm always up for matches and would love to see where I'm at with him.

THTB

Sure. Speaking of XBL, lol my friends list is getting massively overloaded. :confused:

Milk

Snake eyes
I added you Milk. I'll be on all of tomorrow, hit me up when you want to play.
Sounds good sir.

@Ermac Match up:

I think it's even, a bit in our favor maybe. His zoning ability is countered by ours, but we can't really AA him, since he can stall in the air with that fireball + tele away. But I mean, most of his offense + normal strings we can usually tag with a well timed Elbow Dash. What are Ermac's wake up options? Tele and what?

Mileena!

Made a thread about this but figured this might be a better place for it. But the thread got some good discussion and ive been trying some stuff out so mabey we can all help each other.

First of all I think in general she is just a bad matchup for our green friend. You cant really zone her cos of the teleport and even her throwing knives are just as fast as your spit and can throw you off at any time by doing her really annoying teleport. Her combos seem way faster than yours and its pretty hard to put on some pressure and to top it all off I think she has one of the smallest hit boxes in the game, its insane and can really annoy you.

What I found that really works well on her is the dash. It can really throw the player off and it evades her teleport. Its great to slide all around the place and can punish her attacks. Next I wanna talk about trying to zone her out. You have to be really carefull with force balls as they will be punished by the teleport. You really in the long run need to be very sharp with your blocks and your dashes because her roll and teleport can be punished by full combos but the timing on her teleport is pretty small.

Anyine else that can shed some more on this?