What's new

YOMI DJT Wins Mortal Kombat X at CEO 2015!

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
If you almost made top 32, then I'mma watlz outta pools at EVO:p no disrespect meant, but you just gave me a lot of hope
I bodied everyone I played in Pools, I just have no matchup experience against Sonya and D'Vorah. I got opened up with the mix ups.

But you are really good please stop downplaying your self.

Slymind

Noob
Congratulations DJT and , as well as the whole YOMI gang as well. Congrats to @SonicFox5000 for your showing as well as making me spit out my milk with your entrance. Though I would have recommended a bottomless trap hole as opposed to Swords of Revealing light.

Honeybee, the Florida boys, KP, Grandmaster Tom, and even the GGA guys who came through, good stuff to all of you.

Damn. This game is fucking hype, huh?
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/6707212

Can you give me the timestamp for Fox's entrance?

Thx.

loogie

Noob
IMO this screws over characters like Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Cage, etc... all the while making 50/50's even more dominant since you can't block breaker when you guess wrong.

Block breakers work fine in this game. People are fine with combo breakers costing two bars because they're more damaging than a block string, but block breakers are not designed to work like push blocks in Injustice, but rather, to save you from certain death. So yeah, if I outplayed you at a given moment to be able to initiate a block string that will kill you, and you want to escape it to avoid losing the match, I deserve to make you spend two bars of meter. Why should a lifeline cost less?
can't follow the logic here, please help me understand what you're saying....
you are (in a way) equating between a block breaker and a combo breaker in terms of resource cost (meter & stamina)?
combo breaker saves you from damage, at a fair cost.
a block breaker saves you from chip damage, at a very high cost. basically, what you get in return is not WORTH spending the same amount of resources you spend on a combo breaker.

coolwhip

Noob
can't follow the logic here, please help me understand what you're saying....
you are (in a way) equating between a block breaker and a combo breaker in terms of resource cost (meter & stamina)?
combo breaker saves you from damage, at a fair cost.
a block breaker saves you from chip damage, at a very high cost. basically, what you get in return is not WORTH spending the same amount of resources you spend on a combo breaker.
That's exactly why block breakers are the way they are. They're not meant for you to use them to save you from chip damage in any situation, they're meant for you to use them to save yourself from chip damage when said chip pretty much guarantees your death. So the high cost is pretty reasonable considering it's preventing you from dying.

Now if you want to use them in normal situations, that's on you, but they're not worth it, and they're meant not to be worth it. Unless you think they should only cost one bar and so you basically have a relatively cheap way out of dealing with Liu Kang, Cage, Kung Lao and others, thus really hampering those characters. Has it occurred to you that NRS know what they're doing and they made block breakers so expensive on purpose?

loogie

Noob
That's exactly why block breakers are the way they are. They're not meant for you to use them to save you from chip damage in any situation, they're meant for you to use them to save yourself from chip damage when said chip pretty much guarantees your death. So the high cost is pretty reasonable considering it's preventing you from dying.

Now if you want to use them in normal situations, that's on you, but they're not worth it, and they're meant not to be worth it. Unless you think they should only cost one bar and so you basically have a relatively cheap way out of dealing with Liu Kang, Cage, Kung Lao and others, thus really hampering those characters. Has it occurred to you that NRS know what they're doing and they made block breakers so expensive on purpose?
no one said anything about using block breakers in normal situations, you should also define what do you mean by 'normal situations'. so confusing.

why would you spend 2 bars of meter on push block, when every character needs meter for ex specials (to armor out, stack damage in combos, or combo break).
has it occurred to you that as the game meta evolves (at it has evolved quite a lot since launch) NRS would also look into ways to make the game more balanced and better equipped for the competitive scene?
just because NRS developed the game, it doesn't mean they are infallible on certain things they put in the game.

to close this:
at the highest level of play, block breakers are not being used - you should ask yourself why!

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
I was a little bored with the top 8 at first (Tanya yo), but then the Terry bros made up for it in the grand finals (Subby, Johnny and Reptile?! Whaaaaa?!). Congrats to the bros and everyone else!

Tanya needs a buff though. She needs an alternate costume, it's impossible to keep track of who's who in the mirror matches. After the first mirror I gave up and just watched which lifebar would deplete first lol.

As a Kitana fan, a special 'thank you' goes to Kitana Prime and Trepound (despite the loss, you looked really good early on vs Tom). Our princess looked good, she seemed to be able to compete. Looking forward to future tournies!

Oh, oh! Almost forgot! D.R.'s Shinnok, wow! Great stuff! Enjoyed watching your matches!

Oh and shout outs to all those HoneyBee's d+2's vs that flying-teleporting biatch lol.

loogie

Noob
Because NRS didn't mean for them to be used frequently, hence putting a high price to pay for using them. Mystery solved!
Ok so you worked on the game development yourself at NRS?
Anything else we should know?

Why even have the mechanic if no one would ever see any value in using it for the cost they have to pay up.

BS3OOO

Noob
Ok so you worked on the game development yourself at NRS?
Anything else we should know?

Why even have the mechanic if no one would ever see any value in using it for the cost they have to pay up.
It is what it is. If you decrease the cost of Block Breakers, it will hurt characters like Johnny Cage and Liu Kang (who aren't really top tier and depend on their pressure). Imagine if you have two bars of meter and caught it Kung Lao's continuous pressure while having 20%. Instead of getting chipped out, you use the block breaker. As time goes on, I can see more players finding use for it.

It should never work out in the favor of the person who's spending the bars. You're breaking what the opponent is doing, not through your own skills, but through a mechanic that the game is allowing you to use...why should it work out in your favor? Your opponent deserves to rack up meter because he's the one initiating the offense.

You think NRS are so dumb that they didn't see how rarely this mechanic will be used? I'm pretty sure that was the whole point. It was never meant to be used like it was in Injustice, especially since chip damage is far more significant in this game and being able to just spend a bar to escape would really hamper some characters.
-Forcing your opponent to spend meter and stamina is a reward. If I spend the resources to break my opponent, how is that "in my favor"?
-Landing a hit confirm on your opponent is harder than landing a blocked hit on your opponent. Why should they cost the same?
-"not through your own skill, but a mechanic that the game is allowing you to use"... wait what? So the only way to win fairly would be to hack the game code so that my opponent starts at 0 health, since everything else would be just using a mechanic the game is allowing me to use.

coolwhip

Noob
-Forcing your opponent to spend meter and stamina is a reward. If I spend the resources to break my opponent, how is that "in my favor"?
Your opponent gains: You spending meter.

You gain: Not dying.

Tell me which one is more important.

-Landing a hit confirm on your opponent is harder than landing a blocked hit on your opponent. Why should they cost the same?
To avoid abusing a mechanic that NRS probably didn't intend for to be abused. Imagine you're playing against Kung Lao, every time he initiates the 112124 string, you block breaker. In a game in which chip damage is significant and normals do considerable chip (unlike Injustice), think for a second about how potentially dumb that mechanic would be.

--"not through your own skill, but a mechanic that the game is allowing you to use"... wait what? So the only way to win fairly would be to hack the game code so that my opponent starts at 0 health, since everything else would be just using a mechanic the game is allowing me to use.
This is the dumbest way you could have possibly interpreted what I said.

Your opponent gains: You spending meter.

You gain: Not dying.

Tell me which one is more important.

To avoid abusing a mechanic that NRS probably didn't intend for to be abused. Imagine you're playing against Kung Lao, every time he initiates the 112124 string, you block breaker. In a game in which chip damage is significant and normals do considerable chip (unlike Injustice), think for a second about how potentially dumb that mechanic would be.

This is the dumbest way you could have possibly interpreted what I said.
So block breaking automatically means you are immune to death? ok
In a game with considerable chip, block breakers would make even more sense to be more efficient. There is a reason Kung Lao is very strong in this game.
I responded a dumb comment with a dumb comment so we're even

edit: Alright, debating like this feels wrong and makes me feel like shit inside. I do see your points though and NRS would agree with you as its evident that they designed this game to be fast-paced. To each their own

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Holy shit what is this? How the fuck did sub zero win a tournament?
After all that bullshit downplaying and the wave of Tom Brady threads?

This was surely something set up and illegal, you could not logically win a match, nevertheless a whole major using that useless clone. This needs to be investigated by the police and arrests should be made.

Someone call 911 quick, before DJT gets away with the money. Quick!!!!

JLG

Noob
Holy shit what is this? How the fuck did sub zero win a tournament?
After all that bullshit downplaying and the wave of Tom Brady threads?

This was surely something set up and illegal, you could not logically win a match, nevertheless a whole major using that useless clone.
Is that really accurate? I admit I've only seen Tom Brady's rants during a couple of his streams and have not read all of the TYM threads, but I thought his problem was primarily with ice clone being nerfed and not freezing opponents under certain circumstances even when it looked like it should have. The former is a fact due to a patch and the latter is debatable due to weird collision detection (e.g. striking through the clone to get to Subzero). He also seemed upset about people crying for nerfs early on, but to be fair a lot of other players (myself included) do not like early nerfs or frequent patch changes either.

Besides, it's really misleading to say someone used "sub zero (to) win a tournament" when he actually used Kung Lao to grind through pools and Top 8 to secure a place in Grand Finals.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
All the Tom hate tbh is unwarranted. The guy made some threads to discuss SZ's issues, and he has them: But he also wanted a much slower approach to how the game was patched. There was a specific reason for that, because the game is still getting shat on for too many patches in a short amount of time (I see it too often on Twitter), never allowing a meta to develop until after the patch cycle. something a lot of modern day FG players, and maybe even old school players dislike.

NRS/WBGames simply has to think in the future how to do DLC better instead of just dropping a character and a balance patch each month. Like the rest of the cast they should be thoroughly tested and likely just released altogether. I'll give Tom this, he wasn't advocating for Tanya to get nerfed into the ground, just a minor tweak to teleport since NRS has decided to patch the game again like this.