What's new

General/Other - Kitana XL Kitana General Discussion

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
Hmmmmm, I can't say I agree, but then, I haven't fought that many Assassin Kitanas so you may know something I don't. I'm just not sure if I would rely on a parry for 10% against launchers that costs about 35% meterless. You're correct about F2 being reactable, though.
Perhaps, this could be a me thing tho, I only represent myself and my experiences fighting scorps,

apologies, but what was your opinion on his other 2 variations v her? I still would prefer to fight ninjutsu over those

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Perhaps, this could be a me thing tho, I only represent myself and my experiences fighting scorps,

apologies, but what was your opinion on his other 2 variations v her? I still would prefer to fight ninjutsu over those
I don't use Hellfire and Inferno regularly, but I have no reason to believe that the former loses to Kitana in any way. Inferno is likely because the demons take forever to start up and the only one that rewards you for getting a hit is the low demon. *facepalm*

Regardless of Scorpion's variation, though, he retains the ability to check you for your zoning by using teleport, fake or real.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
You're correct about the teleport being an anti-zoning tool, but I should tell you that Kitana's ground fan recovers fairly quickly. I have been punished for trying to react to this with teleport at times, so I'm forced to be pre-emptive unless the Kitana player is predictable. Now against an air fan, it will always be punished by teleport due to the added landing recovery from throwing a fan in the air.

Personally, I don't want to take to the air against you due to the threat of a full combo from an air fan unless you throw one when I haven't pressed a button yet. As well, your EX Rising Fan does wonders as an anti-air.

For the air-to-airs, isn't Kitana's jump-2 five frames or am I remembering wrong? Because if it is, it's one frame faster than Scorpion's jump-3 so it ought to be winning the exchange. If not, that could be due to hitboxes and active frames favoring Scorpion. However, remember that you have the float. I feel it does wonders with faking jump-ins and improving your air game.

Another note to take: if you can't beat Scorpion air-to-air, then the next time he jumps at you when you don't have meter, run under him and mash your fastest possible combo string. If he does a jump-3, it will whiff as you run under him, and he will suffer landing recovery which gives you the chance to get a combo.

As for Ninjutsu's 50/50s, I know this may seem hard to do, but the sound of a sword being drawn is the audio cue for Scorpion's F2. The first hit is still mid, so you can block that crouching, but the second must be blocked while standing. If they cancel into a Takedown instead of going for the overhead, it will always hit at a later frame than the overhead. I recommend practicing a fuzzy guard against this. It's much easier said than done, but it's certainly possible.

Now, it will be unrealistic to expect that you can fuzzy this 100% of the time, so don't stress this if it still hits you at times. I have taken to adding in ways to catching the opponent by surprise with F2 and I don't even need to use F2 - Takedown to coax them into blocking low. For examples of this, see my YouTube by clicking my signature.
Her fans do recover quickly. However, you're risking full combo punish if Scorpion does land that teleport. It can be baited surely, but get that fan off a little too late and you're going to be in for some hurt. A 3/4 to mid screen fan toss is a lot less risky than full screen in this instance.

The jump its boil down to hitboxes. Kitana's is basically directly in front of her while Scorpion's is forward and down a bit. It's like his foot bypasses her arm.

Sound advice overall. I'll have to go into the lab and practice blocking/reacting to the overhead. As I said before, I'm no pro player, but I try to be the best I can be, therefore I soak up as much info as possible. Thank you. :)

Rozalin1780

I don't use Hellfire and Inferno regularly, but I have no reason to believe that the former loses to Kitana in any way. Inferno is likely because the demons take forever to start up and the only one that rewards you for getting a hit is the low demon. *facepalm*

Regardless of Scorpion's variation, though, he retains the ability to check you for your zoning by using teleport, fake or real.
My thoughts on Inferno exactly. Assassin Strike negates two of the three possible summons at full screen. EX version negates all. All that's left is Scorpion at his core, which is still decent.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Her fans do recover quickly. However, you're risking full combo punish if Scorpion does land that teleport. It can be baited surely, but get that fan off a little too late and you're going to be in for some hurt. A 3/4 to mid screen fan toss is a lot less risky than full screen in this instance.

The jump its boil down to hitboxes. Kitana's is basically directly in front of her while Scorpion's is forward and down a bit. It's like his foot bypasses her arm.

Sound advice overall. I'll have to go into the lab and practice blocking/reacting to the overhead. As I said before, I'm no pro player, but I try to be the best I can be, therefore I soak up as much info as possible. Thank you. :)
No problem, and good luck!

I would never advise fans at full-screen, at least 3/4ths to midscreen distance would be better. It's a similar approach I take with Ryu in Street Fighter V. I take care to throw fireballs at a range where they can't really be reacted to, while making sure I don't fall into patterns and that I avoid eating jump-ins for it.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I hit someone with EX Glaive yesterday and they blocked the return.

They were nearly full screen.

I didn't know that could happen...

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
This setup been known?
Flips sides on a knockdown, stays safe from several wake-ups and can whiff punish armored ones, not stage specific (as far as I know), can be started and ended differently but doesn't work if tech rolled (Kitana does stay safe from >15~frame wake-ups).

Rozalin1780

Royal Storm and Assassin are really close in terms of which is better. RS has the mid screen lift while Assassin has the parry. Both are godsends in certain match-ups.

I'm leaning more towards Assassin and that's based mostly on personal bias. And, you know, the mask. :p

I can't speak for Mournful. That variation has never clicked for me, but I can't dismiss that some argue it's her best variation.

Espio

Kokomo
Can you put up a variation voting poll?
It's a good GD resource
Just make a thread for voting on variations if you wanna know.

Assassin is the best though in my view, always has been since XL dropped. She plays MKX the best. It has great set ups, superior chip, higher damage and parry to reign in the dominant mid hitting ranged normals that are quite prominent among the cast.

She's also aesthetically the best, which doesn't determine best variation, but is totally the icing on the cake.

Rozalin1780

How are you guys going about the sektor MU? He's the most annoying of the 4 robots imo
Definitely the most annoying when someone plays him right. He's difficult to get in on and hard to stay on if he's got meter. Can't zone him for fear of teleport (though you could bait it I guess).

What helped me a little was two things Pig pointed out in his how to beat Triborg video: being able to avoid the up missiles by simply walking and neutral ducking the last hit of EX straight missile for better advantage.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more people using him to be honest. Triborg players gravitate to Smoke.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Just make a thread for voting on variations if you wanna know.

Assassin is the best though in my view, always has been since XL dropped. She plays MKX the best. It has great set ups, superior chip, higher damage and parry to reign in the dominant mid hitting ranged normals that are quite prominent among the cast.

She's also aesthetically the best, which doesn't determine best variation, but is totally the icing on the cake.
It's not that I want to know, it's just a helpful resource.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Definitely the most annoying when someone plays him right. He's difficult to get in on and hard to stay on if he's got meter. Can't zone him for fear of teleport (though you could bait it I guess).

What helped me a little was two things Pig pointed out in his how to beat Triborg video: being able to avoid the up missiles by simply walking and neutral ducking the last hit of EX straight missile for better advantage.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more people using him to be honest. Triborg players gravitate to Smoke.
How to do handle the teleport meta when he has a bar? It's annoying having to guess if he's gonna do the air dash a blocked Tele.

I just wait a bit to see if he's gonna land or delay the air dash. If he does the air dash right away, NONE of her reversals beat it and she's gets punished

n0rv1s

EXiLE_n0rv1s
This setup been known?
Flips sides on a knockdown, stays safe from several wake-ups and can whiff punish armored ones, not stage specific (as far as I know), can be started and ended differently but doesn't work if tech rolled (Kitana does stay safe from >15~frame wake-ups).

try it by finishing combo with hard knockdown's to avoid tech rolls, like: fan; f22; b2 etc, also you can build a set up with u2;f22 in mid screen