What's new

General/Other - Cyber Sub-Zero XL Cyber Sub-Zero Discussion Thread

RYX

BIG PUSHER
seems like 212 is useful when canceled into close bomb in the corner. I tried to get out of it but the blockstun + range the blast creates makes it really hard to escape @RYX @SaltShaker

I knew you were gonna tell me about block stun after realizing I forgot about it, beat me to getting back in the lab lol

good stuff, gonna test it on Lao

EDIT: seems like he can punish it. Buzzsaw always wins out if you bomb, Tempest punishes you of you 212 point blank but won't hit you otherwise. (EX spin)

so avoid fast wakeup I guess

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Any links to vids by chance? And maybe that's why I've been having trouble. In my whole MK career I don't think I've played uber-patient/trap characters (with the exception of MK2 scorpion and sub zero) but so far in MKX I've used Scorpion, Then Tanya/Predator. I may need to re-evaluate how to play the neutral as I'm starting to think I'm used to being aggressive which is why I have trouble. He for user didn't see to have any momentum normals. I just scared people with bombs
I think the reason you're having trouble is because you're coming from out-of-the-box monsters like Tanya/ Predator. This guy seems like he's got a lot more going on under the hood.

From my brief experience, he's looking defensive, filling the screen with dangerous trade options 'til an opening presents itself or spacing/ whiff punishing with his fast, far reaching combo starters. He does well full screen and just outside sweep range in that order. It's up to the player if they want to go for frame adv. or a mix up (which can be made safe with use of meter).

Having said that, he has some emergency utility up close after a + string, like f43 or 1114 (both of which have gaps before the last hit, so tread lightly). This mostly revolves around b2 xx "special." He can also drone enhanced b2 (to remain +2) or d1 to catch a counter poke while remaining safe. Instant NJP works too and nets a high reward, but is less safe.

If an opponent is respecting your pressure, you can get some mileage out of staggering f1 > throw, or other mix ups, like Kung Lao does.

Haven't found a perfect place for meter or drone buffs outside of b2, but I suspect having one of either resource for the bomb traps is a good idea. Not like either of the 2 seem hard to come by with this character.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I knew you were gonna tell me about block stun after realizing I forgot about it, beat me to getting back in the lab lol

good stuff, gonna test it on Lao

EDIT: seems like he can punish it. Buzzsaw always wins out if you bomb, Tempest punishes you of you 212 point blank but won't hit you otherwise. (EX spin)

so avoid fast wakeup I guess
Yeah Long range d2 also catch you and jip but only if you pre buffer it otherwise The dive kick will catch them and they land in the bomb. You can also do against enemys with no meter your combo into 1112 low bomb 212 low bomb instant divekick but as I said kinda gimmicky.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Blewdew @RYX its probably something you can pull off "once in a blue" because people won't expect it, but not something you can do round per round. Nothing wrong at all with that. Ima try to mix it in with different setups to see what type of results it yields.

Blewdew

@Blewdew @RYX its probably something you can pull off "once in a blue" because people won't expect it, but not something you can do round per round. Nothing wrong at all with that. Ima try to mix it in with different setups to see what type of results it yields.
Yeah it's definitely better then canceling f131 into low bomb but imo the drone damage is more worth than this setup. Though it's not always bad to have Access to a new string since I often catch myself having 3 drones out because I forget to use them lol. It's also really easy to Hit confirm.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
God I an awful at landing CSZs multi divekick combos. I can do 2, but 3 divekicks is beyond my talent :(

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Guys guys guys!!!! I was labbing some stuff and figured I'd try labbing defensive options and thought of this! Breakthrough!

Haven't seen it mentioned so I assume most people don't know yet/aren't labbing it. Let's explore this and see what characters we can full combo punish!!!

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Guys guys guys!!!! I was labbing some stuff and figured I'd try labbing defensive options and thought of this! Breakthrough!

Haven't seen it mentioned so I assume most people don't know yet/aren't labbing it. Let's explore this and see what characters we can full combo punish!!!
dank discovery

so basically on a good read, we can blow up anyone with gaps or stagger offense. GG cage?

EDIT: you can cancel the dash too, so there might be ways to make yourself safe too?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
dank discovery

so basically on a good read, we can blow up anyone with gaps or stagger offense. GG cage?

EDIT: you can cancel the dash too, so there might be ways to make yourself safe too?
Exactly!!! Make that read and full combo punish slow gaps, no meter needed!!! And against certain chars like you said we can just cancel into Iceball or beam, or the fast slide punish! We're climbing fellas!

@themilkman014
@Blewdew
@RM Ree
@Others who will have arthritis in their hands

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Exactly!!! Make that read and full combo punish, no meter needed!!! And against certain chars like you said we can just cancel into Iceball or beam, or the fast slide punish! We're climbing fellas!

@themilkman014
@Blewdew
@RM Ree
@Others who will have arthritis in their hands
calm down with the exclamation points

I think there's a lot of characters who'd have to risk something to punish it on a read. Maybe some of them can on reaction depending on frames?? I'm not sure, but you can probably blow them up hard for trying to stop a B2 in advance.

Also consider, if you're sitting on a drone you can burn one to make B2 + on block

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
calm down with the exclamation points

I think there's a lot of characters who'd have to risk something to punish it on a read. Maybe some of them can on reaction depending on frames?? I'm not sure, but you can probably blow them up hard for trying to stop a B2 in advance.

Also consider, if you're sitting on a drone you can burn one to make B2 + on block
I may have gotten hype too soon haha! It seems to be character dependent because it doesn't work on F/T's gap when he tosses Ferra after B121, but it works when Alien and Tanya delay their Rekkas. Gonna have to go through the cast and see who it does/doesn't work on. Nevertheless it'll be a pretty solid tool for the MUs we know the gaps it works in.

I may have gotten hype too soon haha! It seems to be character dependent because it doesn't work on F/T's gap when he tosses Ferra after B121, but it works when Alien and Tanya delay their Rekkas. Gonna have to go through the cast and see who it does/doesn't work on. Nevertheless it'll be a pretty solid tool for the MUs we know the gaps it works in.
Sound strange for it not to work on some gaps/ is the dash invincible on the 1st frame?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sound strange for it not to work on some gaps/ is the dash invincible on the 1st frame?
I'm not sure but I don't think so. In the video if you do it too early Cassie will kick you, its like a quick hesitation and then B2. The Rekkas I visually saw the delay and did B2. F/T nothing at all works. I'm gonna try to go through all the characters this weekend to see who it does/doesn't work against. Will be good to know an extra defensive option in specific MUs.

I'm not sure but I don't think so. In the video if you do it too early Cassie will kick you, its like a quick hesitation and then B2. The Rekkas I visually saw the delay and did B2. F/T nothing at all works. I'm gonna try to go through all the characters this weekend to see who it does/doesn't work against. Will be good to know an extra defensive option in specific MUs.
So is the issue with Ferra/Torr that the dash from b2 doesn't even come out?? or does it start to come out but gets caught by Ferra?? Sorry I can't check myself- I am at work)

Blewdew

Damn good find dude definitely gonna do lab that out a bit. I rarely hit someone with b2 usually I cancel into ice Ball when I see them approach but this might do the job. I guess smoke's gonna have a really hard time against him now.

@RYX
I can do 3 dive kicks in the Corner quite consistenly but imo it's not worth the risk to drop The combo and it doesn't do that much damage actually (31% after f13 ICE Ball). I only go for it when I am far in the lead and want to look fancy when I win lol.

Yak

Noob
Sonic fox is using him in the next tournament, so we'll be seeing some nerfs soon after unfortunately

skater11

The saltiest
Does triborg's uppercut suck?? i'm asking because i had a lot of jump in punch stuff my uppercut...don't know if its just me and my bad luck

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Does triborg's uppercut suck?? i'm asking because i had a lot of jump in punch stuff my uppercut...don't know if its just me and my bad luck
I think most anti-air d2's suck, but Triborg actually has a pretty good one relative to the cast. S4 is probably a better option though.

what was his mid screen setup that i saw where you end with f2 and they land right next to you?
He has a few. Probably more, but this is what I've seen.
  • B2, run s4, s4 xx ice ball, f-dash, f2
  • b3u4 xx CDK, ji3, CDK, s4 xx ice ball, f-dash, f2
  • (starter) xx ice ball, DS, jip, b3u4 xx FDK, NJP, run f2

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I think most anti-air d2's suck, but Triborg actually has a pretty good one relative to the cast. S4 is probably a better option though.

He has a few. Probably more, but this is what I've seen.
  • B2, run s4, s4 xx ice ball, f-dash, f2
  • b3u4 xx CDK, ji3, CDK, s4 xx ice ball, f-dash, f2
  • (starter) xx ice ball, DS, jip, b3u4 xx FDK, NJP, run f2
whats the Ds stand for? drone summon?

babalook

Noob
i know this character is stupid good in the corner, but i just played against a ninjutsu scorpion and it felt like he gets fucked at far, medium, and close range. Without any decent mids, low profile moves just shit all over him. After scorpions d4 on block you have to jump or back dash to avoid another one, he can d4 after any safe move with a little push back, and his ex teleport avoids all corner setups. I don't mean to downplay but what do you do against low profile moves.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I came to say what this guy above is saying. How are guys dealing with having bad mids in the neutral? Seems to be the only real issue I'm having.