What's new

Guide Wrath of the Jackalope - First Edition (Smoke Kombos and Frame Traps)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Just FYI, the section where I talk about blocked smoke bomb into d1?

Yea, don't do that. It's punishable by attacks that are 10 frames and faster. Always hit confirm b23.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, luckily I read every post and noticed that. I use D1 alot but I have a hard time realizing i got it and getting that next D1 into Smoke Bomb. I'll definitely start using D4 more, I rarely use that. I saw that D4 and B2,3 was working well. I'm working on getting better. I have a hard time landing the smoke bomb after an air to air punch, landing the NJP in the 3 D1 2 combo. I know people say do the "piano" trick but I'm hitting up and mashing 1 2 and it's not consistent at all. I'm missing something apparently. I also can't quite grasp the timing for the B2 3 after the NJP in that combo. I either do it too early and whiff the 3 or I'll get it but it will be too low for the smokebomb to connect.

kuai liang just do 3d12 > 32 > standing 4 xx smoke bomb > 3d12 > jk air throw. if you're having issues. My main BnB that nick told me. same damage :)

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Well that is what I do since I can't consistently do the other one. But I do the 3 instead of the 4 for linking the Smokebomb. I know 4 works but I use 3*shrugs* It as about the same damage which is why I'm not too worried about it but the NJP looks awesome. But it's only 2% difference.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
yea, 3d12 > njp > b23 takes some getting used to.

Also, for the neutral jump punch, don't mash. The timing of it is needs to be right on.

This game reacts poorly to mashing in general; if you try and mash things almost never come out properly.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, I've noticed that, I try to time it and I'll get it but then I'll have it where I do it like 5 times and I never land it. I use as a stick as well so I'm not sure how you go about the piano trick. I see people say they press their thumb over 1 and 2. So, you would just hold up and press 1 and then 2 not mash them back and forth? Apparently I was doing it wrong.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
yea, you press each button once nearly simultaneously. The two inputs are counted seperately so there isn't a penalty for mistiming and you're effectively doubling your chances of hitting the correct timing window.

I play on a pad and I press 1&2 down with a tiny thumb slide

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, that just seems weird to me for playing on a stick when you say sliding your thumb. I'll give this a try later on tonight though and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll finally do this the right way:)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Ok, so everyone knows that d4 traps into b23 and that 3d12 traps into d1.

I've actually found more. A few involve his less frequently used strings and may or may not be useful. But, one of them is (in my opinion) a fucking bomb ready to blow people up. It's actually been right under my (our) nose(s)...

For now, I'm going to be "that guy" and keep it to myself until after SBV friday. After it's over I'll detail exactly what it is and why I think it's so important.

I've been thinking a lot about his 112 string as well as b14 (on block) lately, but haven't been able to test it. If the shenanigans I think could work with that actually do... i might literally poop my pants. I'll be watching, miss katie smith

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've been thinking a lot about his 112 string as well as b14 (on block) lately, but haven't been able to test it. If the shenanigans I think could work with that actually do... i might literally poop my pants. I'll be watching, miss katie smith
sadly, no. As far as I can tell, the only use for 112 is to fake out into smoke bomb and the use of b14 is ???

and I just checked more into one of the traps and it totally sucks. It's not even a trap really. It's just that 13 on hit gives you incredibly slight advantage but the animation of your opponent puts them too far away too follow up with anything that isn't easily escapable. oh well.

Also, you're not the first person to call me katie lol

Not sure how much pushback, recovery, advantage, etc. it gets on block, was gonna grind it out this weekend and see if I couldn't find anything at all, even a situational use or anything. I'm not able to play anywhere near as much as I'd like so I feel like I should try to figure as many small details about smoke as I can from a laboratory standpoint that can hopefully lead to useful technology for others to use. Expect a video of my findings if I make any.

Do you know any uses for b3 at all? other than as a jedi antiair that only combos off of EX bomb? I mean I guess it looks cool mid-combo (3d12 dash wait long time b3 xx bomb combo) but it's not ideal in terms of damage/repeatability, timing is somewhere between "tricky" and "strict".

thirdly, smoke has a 1,3 string? wtf!? I feel kind of slow having played him since release and not knowing he has that...

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Wait, does this mean that b23 is at least fairly safe after a d4 connects?
Well, it traps which means it will connect if they do anything other than block. On block it's still pretty unsafe. You can hit confirm it into drift away/towards but that still doesn't make it completely safe.

I have a couple questions and contributions. First is b23 safe on block without a smoke bomb? Also there are some potential setups/mindgames you can make off of your knockdown. Ever find people standing next to you or at a distance waiting to punish your wakeup teleport that you can't resist hitting? If they stand next to you, get up and grab them! If their at sweep distance, smoke away. If they try to jump towards you, teleport or of close enough jk airthrow. If farther than sweep smoke towards to scare them into possibly making a mistake. They might expect sample bomb and jump so you can airthrow, which has priority over most or all air moves correct me if I'm wrong. Also instead of whiffed teleport after combo ending in jk airthrow, go invisible. I usually like to jump and teleport to check their jump, then go into some pokes, sweep, throw, b23 mixups. All while in predator form! And finally, 112 into smoke away or smoke towards can be tricky to the opponent. I'm still in the lab to find followups to different reactions the opponent might do on both of these. Also bating a wakeup after whiffed teleport(especially Kung Laos spin!) tends to fuck people over.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
b23 is unsafe on block. b23 > smoke bomb is unsafe on block. b23 > drift away/towards is unsafe but less so.

b23 is just a risky string to throw.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Okay, so I know how it says 3 d1 2 traps into d1 yet I feel like it doesn't. I either have people hitting me with d1 before I do or jumping away. Maybe this is a online lag thing to where I'm missing because of mistiming but I'm hitting as soon as the string is over.

I'm confused as to how it traps. It can be jumped out of, therefore it doesn't trap, right? Or am I missing something here

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm confused as to how it traps. It can be jumped out of, therefore it doesn't trap, right? Or am I missing something here
Jump out of it? No one I've played has/tested with has ever been able to jump out of it. If they try it knocks them out of the air giving you the double d1 combo.

In regards to the post above, its nearly impossible to hit it correctly online. I don't even try.

People jump out of on me all the time, my d1 whiffs, and then i get jip full combo'd. I guess I'm just not timing it perfectly, sorry for misinformation

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Yeah, I figured it was a online thing because 9 times out of 10 I'll get hit out of d1 or it's jumped over. I mean even a Sheeva got the d1 before I did.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
*note: any potential escape will be listed*

First, let me define a trap as a setup in which the opponent is forced to remain blocking or be hit by whatever the setup traps into.

More traps:

~(on block) 112 traps into smoke bomb

~(on block) 214 traps into smoke bomb - this is actually much safer than b23 smoke bomb because of push back. It might be completely safe, which would be awesome, but I haven't tested it that far. All I know for sure is that the smoke bomb is inescapable.

~(on hit) 13 traps into throw - can be jumped out of. retaliation attempt will get stuffed by throw.

~(on hit) 13 traps into standing 2 - about 75% sure on this one.

and my personal favorite:

~at point blank range, d4 traps into 3d12.

This is tricky because you have to dash out of d4 and then the instant you're inside standing 3 range, cancel the dash into 3d12. Because you have to be so close, it's best to do out of a blocked jip/cross up punch. d4 actually combos out of the jip, so the only way to avoid the d4 is to fuzzy guard low immediately after the jip and no one will do this until you condition them to.

If they try and jump out of the d4 >3d12 trap, the first two hits of the string will hit them out of the air and they will plop right at your feet for oki pressure. If they do anything other than remain blocking, they get hit with a full combo.

So, you can now trap into AND out of 3d12. If you connect with a blocked jip/crossover punch you can do the following pattern and they MUST block the whole thing to escape safely (unless they correctly fuzzy guard jip > d4 which, again, will never happen until they are conditioned to do so):

jip, d4 > dash xx 3d12 > d1

the whole thing is a trap. I think admiral ackbar said it best...

PS, if you go to the "Can Smoke Players Win Tournaments?" thread and look up the one matchup I had from Salty Battles 5, I actually hit Liu Kang with this trap. I forget where it is, but he tried to jump out so he got hit by 3 and d1 of 3d12.