What's new

Guide Wrath of the Jackalope - First Edition (Smoke Kombos and Frame Traps)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
KT Smith NYC said:
Ok here's what I got. This video details the inner workings of my optimal situational combos as well as my frame game. I know that knowledge of Smoke's frame traps is kind of floating around, but I wanted to compile it to some degree. Sorry about the capture quality, all I have is a webcam.

I think the most important thing to note is the behavior of the air throw > EX smoke bomb in Smoke's current version. It wasn't clear to me that these could still be linked until I spoke with Check at SB3, and I'm not really sure how widely this is known. I thought that you the EX bomb otg only worked against someone lying neutral and that it was blockable. It's possible that I some how missed that memo lol.

Anyway, enjoy.
Copied from the combos thread. It was difficult for some people to find and was suggested that I give this its own thread.

I also updated some of the information on the Smoke bomb > D+1 trap. This is by no means a complete account of Smoke's combos or frame traps, just the ones that I use most frequently.

If anyone has any other high level tricks or set ups with Smoke, please share.

Aris' showing at EVO 2011 should put to rest any doubts that Smoke can compete at the highest levels of play.

Good video. Aris really had a good showing and just watching what matches of his were streamed really helped me a lot, and now your video just reinforced what I saw from Aris.

Altsa

I could add a couple blockstring traps:
Using 1,1,2 smokebomb is safe against most characters. If the 1,1,2 hits the bomb will not hit but what makes this great is the delay between the 2 and the smokebomb. There is no reason not to link the the bomb after the string since 1,1,2 in itself is quite unsafe. You will catch everyone who dont know about this at least once in a match.

2,1,4 is Smoke´s fastest string and you can link a smokebomb after it. Again, if the 2,1,4 hits the bomb will wiff in open space but you can hit confirm it so it is not a problem. Your need to make your opponent respect the bomb and after they do, you can do 2,1,4 dash 2,1,4 till you feel like throwing a smokebomb. To make this work as intended relies on your ability to make reads and forcing your opponent to respect the followup.

and my personal favourite, after 3d12 is blocked d+1 cant be avoided. The trick is to quickly link a smokebomb after the d+1. If they try to do something else than block or jump the bomb will hit them. If you read them trying to jump after blocked(or hit) d+1, throw EN smokebomb to catch them when they leave the ground.

And almost forgot after you end a corner combo with 2,1,4 link invisibility after it, makes it look so much cooler :)

Btw is there recorded footage of Aris playing Smoke at EVO?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I could add a couple blockstring traps:
Using 1,1,2 smokebomb is safe against most characters. If the 1,1,2 hits the bomb will not hit but what makes this great is the delay between the 2 and the smokebomb. There is no reason not to link the the bomb after the string since 1,1,2 in itself is quite unsafe. You will catch everyone who dont know about this at least once in a match.

2,1,4 is Smoke´s fastest string and you can link a smokebomb after it. Again, if the 2,1,4 hits the bomb will wiff in open space but you can hit confirm it so it is not a problem. Your need to make your opponent respect the bomb and after they do, you can do 2,1,4 dash 2,1,4 till you feel like throwing a smokebomb. To make this work as intended relies on your ability to make reads and forcing your opponent to respect the followup.

and my personal favourite, after 3d12 is blocked d+1 cant be avoided. The trick is to quickly link a smokebomb after the d+1. If they try to do something else than block or jump the bomb will hit them. If you read them trying to jump after blocked(or hit) d+1, throw EN smokebomb to catch them when they leave the ground.

And almost forgot after you end a corner combo with 2,1,4 link invisibility after it, makes it look so much cooler :)
Now we're cooking with gas.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
- 21-Safe | 2,1,4,Bomb and 21xxbomb are great for fast punishing. And using variations confuses the opponent and has to guess correctly in order to punish. Any mistake hits them with a bomb or cross-throw.

- Ex Phase, if used correctly and OCASSIONALLy also confuses the opponent. Can lead into a phase back in, combo, or just a way to get out of trouble and fustrate the opponent.

-Ex invisabilty, I just notice how much of an impact this does to the other player. They can't read your smoke bombs, can't read if you moved unless close. Even the regular version is pretty decent if you know how to use it.

-Shake, Shake everything man, fuck that. Do you know how discouraged a player gets when he can't hit you with projectiles or cross you up? They tend to do stupid things if you cut off their main tools.

-Air throw meter, Do it just do it. if you do it close to the floor it's like your doing nothing for free meter. And smoke with meter is an annoying piece of shit.

-Teleport Punch after sweep, switches the orientation, and without auto-corret its hard to use some combos. You let it wiff and link in a bomb for punish.

D+1 into D+1 into bomb, can be done if the opponent decides to jump or cross you up.

I notice smoke builds meter like crazy. That's a great advantage in this game. Just wish his normals were a TAD bit faster or armor on ex phase.

Comment: the video is very informational, but using a camera? My head started to hurt lol. And if you need any combo material for your video let me know I can provide you with some recorded clips so you have better quality stuff to plug into your video.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Haven't you seen Aris trap with the d+1 and then they fall a bit and he press it again and links in smoke bomb. Cross up jump is at least 9 frames, d+1 is 6. Offline it always beats the cross up jump. and online, well you know how it is. I got beat by a low kick, though I know damn well that d+1 is faster and un interrupatable.

SZSR

Noob
This is good stuff man, another thing I found that doing f 2 f 2 when the opponent is blocking then following up with a d+3 or throw typically catches the opponent off guard, as it sets up good mixup pressure. You either have to be poked out of it(d+1 has worked on me), or Kung Lao spinned out of it.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Haven't you seen Aris trap with the d+1 and then they fall a bit and he press it again and links in smoke bomb. Cross up jump is at least 9 frames, d+1 is 6. Offline it always beats the cross up jump. and online, well you know how it is. I got beat by a low kick, though I know damn well that d+1 is faster and un interrupatable.
Do you have a link to him doing it? I can't get smoke bomb to connect after a single d1 let alone 2

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Dan

KomboMaker
Do you guys know where we can watch the MK9 qualification matches? Specially those with the Smoke players.

By the way, many thanks in advance. This thread is very good stuff and should be pinned. As soon as I get little free time at the weekend, I'll test some of this tatics.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
- 21-Safe | 2,1,4,Bomb and 21xxbomb are great for fast punishing. And using variations confuses the opponent and has to guess correctly in order to punish. Any mistake hits them with a bomb or cross-throw.

- Ex Phase, if used correctly and OCASSIONALLy also confuses the opponent. Can lead into a phase back in, combo, or just a way to get out of trouble and fustrate the opponent.

-Ex invisabilty, I just notice how much of an impact this does to the other player. They can't read your smoke bombs, can't read if you moved unless close. Even the regular version is pretty decent if you know how to use it.

-Shake, Shake everything man, fuck that. Do you know how discouraged a player gets when he can't hit you with projectiles or cross you up? They tend to do stupid things if you cut off their main tools.

-Air throw meter, Do it just do it. if you do it close to the floor it's like your doing nothing for free meter. And smoke with meter is an annoying piece of shit.

-Teleport Punch after sweep, switches the orientation, and without auto-corret its hard to use some combos. You let it wiff and link in a bomb for punish.

D+1 into D+1 into bomb, can be done if the opponent decides to jump or cross you up.

I notice smoke builds meter like crazy. That's a great advantage in this game. Just wish his normals were a TAD bit faster or armor on ex phase.

Comment: the video is very informational, but using a camera? My head started to hurt lol. And if you need any combo material for your video let me know I can provide you with some recorded clips so you have better quality stuff to plug into your video.
Never knew about the d1 into smoke bomb. Also the EX smoke bomb after the 3,d1,2 if the opponent jumps. That is good stuff. Thanks

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
IF you can get online, just message me, I'll show you in training mode if the connection is bareable.
Nah, I won't be online soon. Working too much. I only had about 10 minutest to look at d1 d1 bomb, but I was waiting for the d1 animation to finish before inputting db2 and it wasn't working (I just set the computer to neutral jump).

Unless crossups behave differently than neutral jumps I have to play around with how to input it more.

If you could bootleg a video of it that would be sweet.

Also, thinking about it just in my head, maybe d1 > 2,1 bomb will work.

TheSaBiie said:
Comment: the video is very informational, but using a camera? My head started to hurt lol.
I already apologized for the quality, webcam is all I got :(

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

DirtyBalls

Banned
This is great stuff. I've never pulled of that d+1 online i might be doing something wrong. Anyways do any of u find anything usefull for b3? i think its a pretty good ant-air or maybe its useful for something else. u can link that with a tele punch or ex smoke bomb for a combo

DirtyBalls

Banned
oh i see. anyways i tried d1 > 21 smoke bomb and it doesn't work, but d1 > 2 smoke bomb is pretty good. I got it offline 5 out of 10

oh i see. anyways i tried d1 > 21 smoke bomb and it doesn't work, but d1 > 2 smoke bomb is pretty good. I got it offline 5 out of 10
I believe the d1, 2, smoke bomb is what Aris was doing. I wish I could find a video of his match with REO. I know he did it at least twice to REO.

Altsa

^Is air throw unbreakable? Well, nevertheless Aris also could have thrown a well timed smokebomb but it is easier to make these calls when watching the match at home...wish I could make it to an offilne event...

SZSR

Noob
^Yeah Altsa it is unbreakerable damage.
Damn, Aris had some killer setups but wasn't capitalizing on his opportunities... He would have won the first round had he air thrown after that smoke bomb...

I think Smoke is 5:5 with Kung Lao; he doesn't get to enjoy a lot of his advantages that he has over the rest of the cast against Smoke
Well he was playing Perfect Legend but I agree he needed to punish a bit more accurately.

Also, I agree with the 5:5 comparison because Smoke seems to have an answer for anything he does. From shaking the low hat, to being able to :en Teleport Punch against Kung Lao's :en Teleport. But Kung Lao being the aggressive character that he is, can definitely get the ball rolling on Smoke whereever he makes a mistake.

PeeJaeys

Sabi

Here you go. I had posted it before, but my browser started acting weird. That's me doing it. It counters many things. Who said smoke wasn't top tier? Frame traps, guessing games. After a 3d12 the opponent has to either jump to escape pressure, whcihc you can do that and hit them for 25% or, stay there and risk a throw, sweep, cross over into more pressure, or loop.

Smoke is not 5:5 against kung, but if that's the case he should be 5:5 against sub, but in the match up thread no one wanted to believe me when I said smoke is 6:4 against sub-zero and milieena, and baraka. Meh what can you do.