What's new

Guide Wrath of the Jackalope - First Edition (Smoke Kombos and Frame Traps)

I am getting a message saying the video is private.

I also agree with the Sub Zero matchup I think it is 6:4 Smoke if not a little bit more. I love playing against Sub because so few of them can actually win. Smoke Away on reaction to the slide (if your like me and have trouble blocking low) and it will never hit you. Smoke Bomb into a combo every time.

KL does have the match against Smoke. I play KL a lot and it seems it is always an up hill battle to beat him. Smoke has some tools to deal with him, but it is probably 6:4 in favor of KL.

That one is against PL and KL. He had him with the D1 a couple of times and you can see him notice it late and go for the quick jump kick but miss. Against REO he actually d1, 2, smokebombed successfully a couple of times. When I watched it live, I was WTF did he do to bomb REO. Then he did it again. It looked like REO was attempting a crossover when it happened. I hope so because that is when I am the worst, when getting crossed over and pressured like crazy.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
I un privated it. It's public now sorry. i am all for helping my fellow smoke brethren. =D. If you can like the video, thank you.

hardwire

Noob
Damn, Aris had some killer setups but wasn't capitalizing on his opportunities... He would have won the first round had he air thrown after that smoke bomb...

I think Smoke is 5:5 with Kung Lao; he doesn't get to enjoy a lot of his advantages that he has over the rest of the cast against Smoke
he would have won if he would have let him drop

yes smoke causes fall damage

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Just watch it on my page, idk what else to do. the link is on my signature. Or you can click watch on youtube.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
After seeing the video I realized I have to buffer the smokebomb out of the d1 much faster than I was doing; I was trying to wait until the animation was finished. Can get it no problem now, thanks.

This thread has had great contributions so far, let's keep it up.

SZSR

Noob

Here you go. I had posted it before, but my browser started acting weird. That's me doing it. It counters many things. Who said smoke wasn't top tier? Frame traps, guessing games. After a 3d12 the opponent has to either jump to escape pressure, whcihc you can do that and hit them for 25% or, stay there and risk a throw, sweep, cross over into more pressure, or loop.

Smoke is not 5:5 against kung, but if that's the case he should be 5:5 against sub, but in the match up thread no one wanted to believe me when I said smoke is 6:4 against sub-zero and milieena, and baraka. Meh what can you do.
Wow that vid. is the chink in Mileena's armor that i've been looking for. How fast do you have to input the Smoke bomb?

EDIT:mad: KT SMITH NYC, How do you buffer a Smoke bomb?

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
I think one of the things that got me is that even though PL was catching him with low hat repeatedly when would back teleport, he kept doing it and eating low hats. I think he should have been able to read more of those and shake them but maybe thats just me. Not to be a backseat driver, I probably wouldve have crumbled. I still loved his performance and it gave me a lot of ideas to assimilate into my own game.

Also each time I watch PL fight....its like he's bruce lee, adapting to everything strategy a player uses very quickly. Aris came out guns blazing, very strong performance on the first match. Second match was a massacre by comparison. I think by that point PL pretty much saw most of his plans and dismantled them accordingly.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Wow that vid. is the chink in Mileena's armor that i've been looking for. How fast do you have to input the Smoke bomb?

EDIT:mad: KT SMITH NYC, How do you buffer a Smoke bomb?
I think 214 smokebomb will work as a higher damage punish for mileena's cannonballs but this is a good way to do it too.

basically, if I describe the inputs, you want to press d+1 b+2. I use a pad so I press d+1 to do the poke and then slide my thumb to b and hit 2, making it one fluid motion.

SZSR

Noob
I think 214 smokebomb will work as a higher damage punish for mileena's cannonballs but this is a good way to do it too.

basically, if I describe the inputs, you want to press d+1 b+2. I use a pad so I press d+1 to do the poke and then slide my thumb to b and hit 2, making it one fluid motion.
Can you do full punishes with 214 on blocked teleport kicks too? And I need to practice that d+1, b+2 motion.

Altsa

I feel the timing of 2,1,4 smokebomb against blocked mileenas ball roll is quite wierd. Least for me 3,2 dash 3,2 smokebomb dash 3,d1,2 jk. airthrow for 32% is easier punish.

I'm unsure if this is new information or not, or if it's even useful. But Smoke's EX Smoke Bomb will hit for 10% unscaled off of any non-backthrow knockdown on any opponent who tries to wake up. Even Kung Lao. You can work this into the pokestring pressure by doing d1, d3, and b4 instead of d4. It's a tight, awkward window, but you can throw an EX bomb after the sweep and if the opponent wakes up, they just got hit for 10% and you have a new oki situation off of somebody who was stand blocking. If they tech roll back, they avoided it, and you're no longer completely in their face. This also works on a forwards throw, although I'm not sure why anyone other than maybe Sub Zero would use a wakeup after being put near full screen :\ I'm not really experienced enough to know whether this would be useful or if my thoughts on this are incorrect.

Any thoughts from someone more experienced than me? Is this useful at all, or just some situational thing you can mix up with every now and then if ever

EDIT: Obviously I'm aware of the EX bomb after air throw... but I've never heard of anyone using the bomb on other knockdowns :)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder

This match is fucking sick. Aris' d+1's and d+4's are godlike. He hits Tom Brady with the d+1 > d+1 xx smokebomb combo like, 5 times and breaks out of the low hat string with d+4's followed by the b+2 trap. Been saying for a while now that Smoke's offense is allllll about poke pressure.

My only comment on Aris' playing is that off of b+2,3 > smokebomb you can get higher damage and it isn't much more effort.

He was doing b+2,3 > smokebomb > 3d12 > jkick/airthrow
when he could be getting b+2,3 > smokebomb >3d12 > 32 > jkick/airthrow on any character that's not Jade. I don't know if he's cutting it short for consistency's sake, to limit the amount of meter he gives them, or if he's unaware of the longer combo (I think that's unlikely though).

Altsa

^absolutely great match. Also you are right, his combo does 3% less but chance of dropping it is minimal. The ideal combo after b+2,3 smokebomb is 3,2 3,2 jk airthrow dealing also 35% but hitting the opponent 1 time less than 3,d1,2 32 jk airthrow.

And what it comes to criticizing combos, it seems his BnB is 3,d1,2 3,d1,2 smokebomb 3,d1,2 jk airthrow for 36%. I would advice anyone reading this to use 3,d1,2 3,2 4 smokebomb 3,d1,2 jk airthrow for 38%. Same number of hits, does 2% more damage and the 4 makes the smokebomb timing very easy

SZSR

Noob
New info. for the Smoke matchup from pakostevens at the VSM stream last night. You can interrupt crossups with standing 2's and follow up with multiple 2's and d+4, Smoke bomb to create a combo.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Ugh. Im having so much issues with lao it's not even funny. Him and JC I don't want to D1 him because Im scared to get spinned. I don't want to cross jump punch because he does that dive. If your a smoke and a lao player meet me online for some practice. Tell me exactly waht you do.

Dan

KomboMaker
New info. for the Smoke matchup from pakostevens at the VSM stream last night. You can interrupt crossups with standing 2's and follow up with multiple 2's and d+4, Smoke bomb to create a combo.
Do you have a link for this video?

By the way, I just learned something new and very valuable with this Aris x Tom video. The d+1 sure rox a lot. Now, what I'm willing to do, is to learn in wich situation should I use it.

I saw he doing it when Tom was trying to cross jump him, and he just punished that jump with a d+1. If it works against everyone, my oponent will think twice before cross jumping in.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Ugh. Im having so much issues with lao it's not even funny. Him and JC I don't want to D1 him because Im scared to get spinned. I don't want to cross jump punch because he does that dive. If your a smoke and a lao player meet me online for some practice. Tell me exactly waht you do.
You can only get damage against Lao with b+2, oki, and punishes. You can't fight him inside spin range, you just can't. but then again no character can. As soon as your opponent sees you'll be doing anything up in his face they can spin you out of it. You also can't jump against KL ever ever ever. If you get away with jumping in a KL match that just means your opponent wasn't on the ball or had a bad reaction.

The secret to beating KL from neutral is spacing. You gotta stay at sweep distance or just outside, because that's where he can't reach you without moving in, but you can hit him with b+2 or dash cancel a sweep or something to start oki. KL is very vulnerable in Smoke's oki game, just make better reads and he's toast. If he rolls at you block; if he spins punish. If he does anything else GTFO with drift or b+3 to send him fullscreen or EX shake or something, just get out of there. If he catches you in his rushdown you're screwed.

I was doing really well against Check's KL with this strategy. He ended up winning more matches than I beat him, but they were close games. Some more practice with that match up and I'll be set.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Man, I don't even know. I'm not good with match specific things. You have to understand my only training is online, and when I do make it out to offline, I do decently. Usually because the lack of lag and consitancy of falls are much better. But, since your playing online there are thing some characters can do that they can't do off. So it's like I'm practicing towards that and notice offline, that doesn't even happen. FmL.

So in regards to trapping with D1 after smokebomb, it mentions in the video that D1 can be beaten by the fastest specials and pokes. With that in mind, how many frames of disadvantage is smoke at after a smokebomb string? I'm curious how as to how on-point your opponent has to be to beat D1, and what moves have the capability.

Also, I'm sure comboing a connected D4 straight into smokebomb traps, but how risky would it be to combo a blocked D4 straight into smokebomb?