What's new

Guide Wrath of the Jackalope - First Edition (Smoke Kombos and Frame Traps)

Oh wow. I can just see that d1 going into a dash d3, d4, b23 bomb for ultimate trolling... who needs lows when you have one of the best, fastest overheads in the game?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Oh wow. I can just see that d1 going into a dash d3, d4, b23 bomb for ultimate trolling... who needs lows when you have one of the best, fastest overheads in the game?
That's my favorite poke string. Be wary of cross ups though. If they cross up a whiffed poke you MUST block (or a jedi ex shake).

Kuai Liang

Tundra
I thought b23 sb was a bad idea. But I guess you're assuming after that d1, d3, d4, they'll block low.

And can someone explain what oki is and how the hell do you fuzzy guard? I'm getting sick of doing 3 d1 2 on people blocking low and having the d1 not hitting them, even though their blocking low. That happens like 50% of the time and it's annoying me. d1 hits mid, their blocking low, therefore I should get the damn combo.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I thought b23 sb was a bad idea. But I guess you're assuming after that d1, d3, d4, they'll block low.
It's not that b23 is bad, Smoke kind of needs to rely on it in a lot of situations. It's just that against some characters there isn't anything you can do to make the string safe on block. Hit confirming it into smoke drift away makes it safer, but you can still get hit by fast advancing specials (shadow kick, shoulder charge, superman, reptile dash, etc.)

And can someone explain what oki is and how the hell do you fuzzy guard? I'm getting sick of doing 3 d1 2 on people blocking low and having the d1 not hitting them, even though their blocking low. That happens like 50% of the time and it's annoying me. d1 hits mid, their blocking low, therefore I should get the damn combo.
Fuzzy guarding is when you block a string, you can change the properties of your block (i.e. whether you are blocking high or low) instantly by holding down (to block low) or not holding down (to block high). The thing of it is, when you begin blocking, the character animation is forced to remain in it's initial position until the string has completed.

So in the situation you're describing, what happened was they blocked the initial hit of 3d12 while crouching (low block) and were locked into the crouched animation. BUT, they successfully fuzzy guarded against the mid hit (d1 of 3d12) by releasing down, and thus changing the property of their guard from low to high even though their animation showed them as still crouching.

That was pretty long winded, but I wanted to be thorough lol.

EDIT: 666 posts!

Apock

Noob
KT Smith NYC:

b23 is safe on block, This attack can only by punished by reptile's elbow dash. In corners can also punished by kung lao spin

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
KT Smith NYC:

b23 is safe on block, This attack can only by punished by reptile's elbow dash. In corners can also punished by kung lao spin
admittedly, I have never specifically tried to punish blocked b23 (with no follow up) I just saw how much advantage your opponent has on block and said "fuck. that's not safe." Your opponent has significant advantage on blocked b23.

Also, the statement that it's only punishable by spin in the corner doesn't make sense. b23 has 0 push back and you're well within spin range after blocked b23 even midscreen.

There could be stuff I haven't considered, like that the properties of block stun change when the string is cancelled into a special, but I doubt it.

maybe this is a super-easy reset option:

3d12, xx, 32, xx, b23 en bomb.

i couldnt test it on a human yet but the ai acts quite weird: it will eat the reset in every scenario, except "wakeup roll on", which will make it block the en bomb (block is set to "off" though. maybe someone test this witha human?

Altsa

maybe this is a super-easy reset option:

3d12, xx, 32, xx, b23 en bomb.

i couldnt test it on a human yet but the ai acts quite weird: it will eat the reset in every scenario, except "wakeup roll on", which will make it block the en bomb (block is set to "off" though. maybe someone test this witha human?
Only f+4 resets actually work (if they are still in the game, EU wont get the patch, ever). Everything else is blockable.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Note to KT in the first few seconds of your video you wrote Jacaklope. At the end of the video you said post any corrections and stuff so there you go :D

On topic however, when you get cross over jumped from your pokes is the only way to continue advantages to jumpback kick or instant air teleport? I cant seem to find anything else that will work except for ex shake, and all of those options you have to be pretty fucking awake to make them happen, i mean most of the time the crossup punch will hit you out of telepunch. I tried some EX drift stuff too to get out of it and it can get you out, but leaves you at a shitty range where smoke bomb is unsafe to jumps and your strings arent in range to hit, its in that sort of dead spot that smoke has where ermac can blaze you with force pushes, but shh dont tell him .

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Note to KT in the first few seconds of your video you wrote Jacaklope.

Thanks for point that out though.

smokey said:
On topic however, when you get cross over jumped from your pokes is the only way to continue advantages to jumpback kick or instant air teleport? I cant seem to find anything else that will work except for ex shake, and all of those options you have to be pretty fucking awake to make them happen, i mean most of the time the crossup punch will hit you out of telepunch. I tried some EX drift stuff too to get out of it and it can get you out, but leaves you at a shitty range where smoke bomb is unsafe to jumps and your strings arent in range to hit, its in that sort of dead spot that smoke has where ermac can blaze you with force pushes, but shh dont tell him .
Yea, getting crossed up over a whiffed poke is doom except for an EX shake. You're kind of forced to block it.

arydious

Noob
what do you follow up d1, smoke bomb or 214 smoke bomb if they are all blocked?
You can do a lot of things, you can keep using d1 till they crouch block then use b2 3 smokebomb for full combo. or you can try to cancel it into one of smokes special moves. watch out on cancelling it because you can get punished.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
So, an update on smoke bomb. It turns out that although it isn't as safe as originally thought, it isn't as punishable either. From what I can tell, Sektor is the only character in the game that can get a punish beyond d1 and d3.

I thought it could be punished with a throw, making the disadvantage at least ten frames. This is wrong, it cannot be punished with a throw; you can jump out if they attempt a throw punish.

While Sektor's 6 frame jab can connect for a punish, Johnny Cage's 8 frame jab can't which puts the disadvantage after blocked smoke bomb at 7 frames, making it decently safe.