What's new

Why is there so much QoL missing?

Sometimes I came across fights with so many modifiers, that you can't even fight. Your character is just a ragdoll flying from left to right and the otherway around, because so many modifiers are being spammed.

You only win the round by letting the timer running out to 0, and the one who got the least damage from modifiers, wins.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
The biggest issues for me are not being able to tag moves in training, and not being able to enter training mode during a KOTH. I will not be participating in any large KOTH until this standard feature is added back in.
Yeah I think KOTHs are only fun when youre the king otherwise it's just a whole lotta waiting to play. It was a think in MKX (idk about 11) and I think Injustice 2 so idk why they wouldn't put it here. Same with tagging combos. I also think you should be able change kameo without going back to character select screen like you could variations in X.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Sucks we have to makeshift it like this. Not sure if sf6 training mode is good or this one is just bad. Appreciate it though.
It'a probably because in SF6 a lot of properties change when it's counter hit/punish etc and they change in different ways, launching, stunning etc. for each normal. Thats not the case in MK1 it's literally just d2 for every character (as far as I know) so having an always be a counter hit feature is sorta redundant cos it's so easy to set it up in the recording anyway, only takes 10 seconds. Wouldnt hurt but I think things like being able to have things like Johnnys star guage always be full, or Tanya have her buff active etc would be more helpful.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Presumably the store will actually rotate when they get more skins in the game. Personally, I think it's already bullshit that they are locking Dark Sindel skin behind that(I assume you can't unlock it please tell me I'm wrong) so the less the better IMO
"Here is a rotating store designed to encourage you to log in every day like a trained lab rat and hopefully pressure you into spending money on 'timed items'. Also, we don't have enough items to actually rotate, so it's just a static store for now. Oh, and we'll keep the countdown clock on the menu just in case you didn't know that."

Absolutely shameless and embarrassing.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
?!! The net code in MK1 is the best in the entire fgc right now... it is way better than SF6 for example...
There is no way this is true, I don't care what "test" is done. I have over 6000 online matches in SF6. The netcode in that game is significantly better than MK1 netcode. Maybe in the perfect ideal condition a match can be better in MK1, maybe. But if you play a hundred matches in SF6 randomly, then play a hundred in MK1 randomly, it's a no contest. Almost every match in SF6 is clean, while half if you're lucky in MK1 aren't laggy or delay ridden.

Kal

<3
?!! The net code in MK1 is the best in the entire fgc right now... it is way better than SF6 for example... and this is not some kind of opinion.. it has been tested by Spooky.
Spooky is your source? As in Victor? That Spooky? Hahaha oh man.

Personally for me, having played both on the same setup, same internet, same everything, I found my experience in SF6 to be way better online overall. Don't know where the fuck this "best net code in entire FGC is" but it certainly isn't in my copy of MK1.

It'a probably because in SF6 a lot of properties change when it's counter hit/punish etc and they change in different ways, launching, stunning etc. for each normal. Thats not the case in MK1 it's literally just d2 for every character (as far as I know) so having an always be a counter hit feature is sorta redundant cos it's so easy to set it up in the recording anyway, only takes 10 seconds. Wouldnt hurt but I think things like being able to have things like Johnnys star guage always be full, or Tanya have her buff active etc would be more helpful.
Yea I get it. It is pretty minor considering D2 is probably the only move it matters for. Just a little annoying things seem to be going backwards since we had easy krushing blows in MK11 training mode so you didn't have to set up a recording just to do counterhit stuff.

Art Lean

Noob
How to perform brutalities? There is no description. And which moves have them? No description either.
They're level-threshold rewards unlocked by leveling up characters, you can see a few ahead on the character mastery pages of your profile page. Once you have some, go to the finishing moves list on the pause menu, scroll down to the one you want and press the relevant button for more info (it's square on the PS5) to see its performance requirements.

NHDR

Noob
These complaints are definitely legit, though I do think they nailed the gameplay at least. The way they reimagined characters like Kenshi, Cage, and Reiko has been great. Overall, I would give it an 8/10 based on the strength of the core fighting system. So, a very good game that is shy of great.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Honestly I'm back to SF6, this shit is embarrassing.
I mean to each their own, but the game/gameplay itself is fantastic. I think they did something really great when the things people are complaining about are just simple QoL things that have nothing to do with the actual gameplay and that can easily be fixed and more than likely will be fixed soon. All that other stuff is just fluff, the icing, the potatoes, etc. The actual cake and/or meat of the game is just fine. When you have a solid & strong foundation, you can easily build upon that.

NoCharge

Noob
They're level-threshold rewards unlocked by leveling up characters, you can see a few ahead on the character mastery pages of your profile page. Once you have some, go to the finishing moves list on the pause menu, scroll down to the one you want and press the relevant button for more info (it's square on the PS5) to see its performance requirements.
Found them in the finishers list. I'm stupid )

I'm with Juggs here. I'm thrilled with this game. The aesthetic content isn't really there, I wasn't super thrilled with the direction they took the story, Invasions is a bit of a flop, there are a ton of head scratchers from a UX perspective, but I don't really care about any of that stuff. The gameplay is super fun and it feels so refreshing after MK11.

I don't agree with the sentiment that "oh, they should have left this thing in the oven another six months, it's rushed and too early". That's exactly the opposite of what you want. For a modern game (and really for modern software in general), the sooner you can get it in people's hands and get feedback, the better equipped you are to make changes based on what people are telling you. The more you build into the product without anyone experiencing it, the more you make decisions in an echo chamber, and the more decisions start to ossify in a way that is really difficult to change.

Rather than thinking of it like "do you want a more polished game or a less polished game?" think about it more like "do you want to try the game out earlier on in its development lifecycle and be able to influence what its more polished state looks like, or do you want to just let them continue to polish it in a vacuum for another six months based on what they internally think is best?" I know what my choice is.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Am on the Xbox series x and s. I can assure u the audio bug has happened to me on both consoles randomly and for at least the whole match and fixes itself afterwards. The more I play the more bugs I ran into. Like the wrong input when you walk under a jumping opponent. The lastest bug I encountered was the kameo call out. Sometimes the kameo will make wrong assist with correct inputs. It's very annoying.
I’ve had one where Kitana’s fan toss just goes right through an advancing opponent after connecting with one that knocked them down

Kal

<3
I mean to each their own, but the game/gameplay itself is fantastic. I think they did something really great when the things people are complaining about are just simple QoL things that have nothing to do with the actual gameplay and that can easily be fixed and more than likely will be fixed soon. All that other stuff is just fluff, the icing, the potatoes, etc. The actual cake and/or meat of the game is just fine. When you have a solid & strong foundation, you can easily build upon that.
I'm gonna be honest with you, and I'm sure people will give me tons of shit for this on here. I've been playing MK since 1992, it's my 2nd favorite fighting game series overall, but the gameplay has always been inferior than the rest of the genre IMO. Yes some games are better than others, MK1 being better than MK11 for example, but to this day they feel sluggish, clunkier, and stiffer to play than other fighters I play. What always kept me coming back game after game is the lore of the series, the setting, the aesthetics, the characters themselves and their relationships, the secrets, the good other content around, the lobbies I made with friends and just messed around had fun and what not.

So yeah now MK1 is missing lots of the other content and shit the bed at whatever is in there, lacking QoL stuff, shitty online, while again having a gameplay I don't exactly find great. It's serviceable sure, but that's all. No reason for me to waste any more of my time until they add shit, fix the current shit, and maybe then we'll have a full package I find worth coming back to.

I find SF6 to be a much better product through and through, it covers all the points I'm looking for and with much better gameplay.

Last edited: