What's new

Why is counterpicking looked down upon?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I find that generally people who despise counterpickers are people who play polarizing characters. If your character doesn't get countered to hell you probably don't are as much, but if there are hard counters to your main you can get pretty salty
I agree 100%. Very easy for counterpicking not to bother you when you main BS Shinnok, but when you are up in a set in a 5-5, and the 7-3 comes your way and you lose. I can't help but get annoyed. Yea it's fair play Blah blah blah, but I can't help but feel the character beat me more than the player did in those situations. As I said earlier I respect someone's ability to play multiple characters at their level, but doesn't mean I have to like or give props to losing to hard counters.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Oh the tier whore nerve has been touch, and so the flood of defensive loud barks but with no bite. lol

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Counter picks happen. I dislike it PERSONALLY, because, depending on the MU, a lot of counterpick MUs just aren't fun to play. Hugo vs Gouken for example. Even if I grind through and win, its just not FUN to play. Purposefully counterpicking in a non-competitve environment is kinda stupid. If who you happen to be playing is a bad MU for me, no biggy,but if you see who I'm playing, then flat counter me, in normal sets (nothing on the line but the W or the L) it , to me , is just cheap.

Now, for competitive play, or tourney play.or a MM or whatever, then *shrug* win. I have zero complaints.

As a fan I dislike.some counter pick MUs because they aren't fun to watch, but I'm not against the idea of it certainly.
You are one of the few non-tier whore players in here who are not bothered by the truth I see. lol

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
All of the top tier whore players are spinning in their basement chairs right now lol. Saying "Shit! why does this person have to say these things, now I'm going to be seen as the cheap ass tier whore that I am. I better say something in my defense." lol

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Truth be told, if I get counter-picked and win I'll usually pop off - not send messages or anything but I mean I'll yell f*** yeah at my TV and just silently talk shit alone lol. Only thing better than beating a counter-picker is beating a player that switches to Kobu Tanya after a loss - that character can kick rocks

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Reversal defense exposed. Try again. lol
Lmao what? We already went, your turn to defend yourself bro, at this point the only thing you have up your sleeve is "lol your wrong I'm right because lol I am better than you" so tell me, give me over actually decently good reason why anyone should follow your invisible rule book as opposed to playing hope they want to play? Oh wait I forgot the only thing you know how to do now is say "lol why so defensive" because you are out of ideas, you don't know how to deal with actual logic, why the fuck should anyone play by your dumbass rule book? Seriously? Because you say so? Because you think it is wrong? Why should anyone do this? To earn your godfully important respect like you are the greatest thing on this god given earth? You want me to try again there, there was my "2nd try" to your pathetic argument.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Lmao what? We already went, your turn to defend yourself bro, at this point the only thing you have up your sleeve is "lol your wrong I'm right because lol I am better than you" so tell me, give me over actually decently good reason why anyone should follow your invisible rule book as opposed to playing hope they want to play? Oh wait I forgot the only thing you know how to do now is say "lol why so defensive" because you are out of ideas, you don't know how to deal with actual logic, why the fuck should anyone play by your dumbass rule book? Seriously? Because you say so? Because you think it is wrong? Why should anyone do this? To earn your godfully important respect like you are the greatest thing on this god given earth? You want me to try again there, there was my "2nd try" to your pathetic argument.
lol Calm down baby. No one's telling you to stop tier whoring.

MrProfDrPepper

lol Calm down baby. No one's telling you to stop tier whoring.
You know what is funny about that statement? I don't tier whore, I play lasher Takeda and balanced kenshi, and I got all that I need, no one should follow your little dumbass rule book, you can just sit in the corner, bitching about everything while the rest of us play how we want to play and have fun while doing it, my point has been made thank you very much

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Just use hidden select if you don't want someone to counter pick. End of.
That what I'm basically talking about. When I choose hidden select they get scared and almost always choose Erron Black, Kung Lao, Jacqui or Shinnok just to be safe they'll have a better chance of having a 7-3 matchup. lol

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
And the defensive responses from tier whores have begun. lol
I'm actually the opposite of a tier whore. I'm a character loyalist and will play my character regardless of placement as we saw in mk9.

Look if you wanna sit at home and play F/T vs Goro with your grandma all day that's fine. But when you spend money to compete, when you have a real chance at making money, you give yourself every chance you can get. ESL for example is 100,000$. I got a son I'm trying to support that money would change my life. It would be dumb to play goro or Jacqui all the way through. That's called playing smart

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
You know what is funny about that statement? I don't tier whore, I play lasher Takeda and balanced kenshi, and I got all that I need, no one should follow your little dumbass rule book, you can just sit in the corner, bitching about everything while the rest of us play how we want to play and have fun while doing it, my point has been made thank you very much
Funny how you're even in this thread then and having to feel the need to defend yourself. The statements made have bothered you to the point of having to respond to them which means they must ring true for you, especially in the angry manner of your response. :)

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I'm actually the opposite of a tier whore. I'm a character loyalist and will play my character regardless of placement as we saw in mk9.

Look if you wanna sit at home and play F/T vs Goro with your grandma all day that's fine. But when you spend money to compete, when you have a real chance at making money, you give yourself every chance you can get. ESL for example is 100,000$. I got a son I'm trying to support that money would change my life. It would be dumb to play goro or Jacqui all the way through. That's called playing smart
Oh sir, I'm not in any way saying tournament gameplay should mirror casual gameplay. It is well understood and accepted that tier whoring is a well established practice among tournament players. No arguing there. Playing a top tier character when playing for money is the smart way to go, actually, the only way to go.

Counterpicking can be seen as a cowards way out if say you play someone who is using a mid-tier character like Scorpion or Mileena and they constantly beat you, then they decide to run to someone like Jacqui, Erron Black, Shinnok, Kitana, Tanaya, Quan Chi or Kung Lao out of frustration. I use 6-7 characters interchangeably because of fun reasons. My characters are Scorpion, Mileena, Jason, Predator, Sub-Zero, Reptile. When I'm about to play someone and they wait for me to pick at the character select screen, that usually tells me they are counterpicking scrubs. The moment I hide my cursor and they choose either Erron Black, Jacqui, Kung Lao or Kitana I instantly know they are going to play a projectile-spamming defensive game. I usually give them two matches to prove themselves of not being cheap before I decline and look for a more confident and worthy player who is not so fragile ego-wise over losing a match online looking to always have a 7-3 matchup.
What? Isn't Jacqui low tier as fuck?

MrProfDrPepper

Funny how you're even in this thread then and having to feel the need to defend yourself. The statements made have bothered you to the point of having to respond to them which means they must ring true for you, especially in the angry manner of your response. :)
Wrong on both accounts, I'm laughing my ass off the whole way, I don't play the top tiers at all, I dropped hish-qu-ten predator because he didn't click with me, I play lasher Takeda, and balanced kenshi, and every once in a while I fuck around with Jason, I simply don't want scrubby attitudes like this to spread, people who blame their losses on the match up because it is the easy thing to do, yeah that may be a part but no match up is unwinnable, I enforce people to level up and find new approaches instead of bitching and moaning.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

Dude, watch it - I hear her grandmother's Goro is absolutely godlike :DOGE:DOGE

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Wrong on both accounts, I'm laughing my ass off the whole way, I don't play the top tiers at all, I dropped hish-qu-ten predator because he didn't click with me, I play lasher Takeda, and balanced kenshi, and every once in a while I fuck around with Jason, I simply don't want scrubby attitudes like this to spread, people who blame their losses on the match up because it is the easy thing to do, yeah that may be a part but no match up is unwinnable, I enforce people to level up and find new approaches instead of bitching and moaning.
You have over-verified my points. This is good. Please keep defending yourself, I'm looking at this now from a psycho-analytical perspective.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
In to
I guess when the tag below your username says "Activist against OP/Tier Whores" there's little chance we'll find common ground my friend. Anyway, I wasn't aware there were MK activists, good for you, enjoy your MK activism dude.
lol yes thank you for noticing. You just made me crack up. thanks. :)

MrProfDrPepper

You have over-verified my points. This is good. Please keep defending yourself, I'm looking at this now from a psycho-analytical perspective.
Because as of right now both of us think that we have won, that means we have both lost, there is no winner in any of these things, every time an online argument happens, both sides are convinced that they are correct, and as a result, both sides suffer greatly. No new information was gained, just a never ending argument from 2 stubborn sides

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
If you are able to play multiple characters at a high level and strategically select particular characters to exploit certain matchups in tournament, this is a testament to your mastery of a fighting game and more power to you. Am I missing something here? Why is it considered an insult to call someone a counterpicker rather than a compliment??
Counterpicking has a good argument for and against. When I first started playing, I was completely against counterpicking because I thought it showed a lack of class and sportsmanship. As I became more seasoned and started playing in tournaments, I learned that you do whatever it takes to win matches. If that involves counterpicking, so be it.

In short, it depends on the environment you are playing. If it is a tournament, counterpick if you must. On the flipside, use hidden select to ensure your opponent cannot counterpick your character of choice. If however, you are just playing casuals, then pick whoever you want and don't worry what the hell the other player does.

Bottom Line - It's just a damn game and there is no unwritten code of ethics. Play the game the way you want to play it.