What's new

Why is counterpicking looked down upon?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
If you are able to play multiple characters at a high level and strategically select particular characters to exploit certain matchups in tournament, this is a testament to your mastery of a fighting game and more power to you. Am I missing something here? Why is it considered an insult to call someone a counterpicker rather than a compliment??

Last edited:

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Is it looked down upon? Is it an insult? People using that as an insult are just salty imo. Especially in a game like MKX, counterpicking is sometimes the only way to win.

Mk9 was different because there were more universal rules. But MKX characters differ from simple things like back dashes and jump in hitboxes. Counterpicking is kinda important in MKX.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Is it looked down upon? Is it an insult? People using that as an insult are just salty imo. Especially in a game like MKX, counterpicking is sometimes the only way to win.

Mk9 was different because there were more universal rules. But MKX characters differ from simple things like back dashes and jump in hitboxes. Counterpicking is kinda important in MKX.
Agreed 100%, but I have seen it thrown around as an insult many times (against forever king for example).

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Agreed 100%, but I have seen it thrown around as an insult many times (against forever king for example).
I think it just depends on the person. Like, a lot of character loyalists would see counter-picking as cheap whereas most people aren't too moved by it.

XxDark_

Noob
yea I really don't understand this either. how could you get mad at someone for picking a character that will give them a better chance at winning in a match up. Notice I said " a better chance at winning" because for some reason people act like counter picking or playing top tier will grant you a auto win. so that will be the excuse they use once they lose..." oh you counter picked me or you are playing top tier characters" No Your ass just got outplayed. that's essentially what it boils down to. if you get outplayed you are going to lose no matter what character you have. So I have nothing against "Counter picking" or "Tier whoring". if you chose to play a shit character or a really bad Match up then that's nobodies fault but yours once you lose so you better play at the top of your game to get the Win.

Reactions: SPY

Tweedy

Noob
My 2 cents on this topic and excuse making in general.

It's very similar to when you win with a top tier character; that makes you a tier whore, or when you win with a mid-low tier character, and they didn't know the match up. Universal excuses that are super petty.

Counterpicking, tierwhore, lack of mu knowledge, etc, are all excuses that can be said nicely, and at the same time imply that you didn't actually lose because of being outplayed. The character loyalist is like the ultimate one, because being one covers you for any loss, automatically, in a lot of people's eyes. If you exploit that by counterpicking, you're effectively attacking all of the excuse makers around the Mortal Kombat world.

At the end of the day there are no valid excuses for a working game that gets patched frequently. It's not like they put Tanya in the game and couldn't nerf her. NRS could be changing things and they aren't, so everything is meant to be in the game as of now. If you lose to Quan Chi, you can pick Quan Chi, or a different character that can fight him better. Unless you play Mortal Kombat X online where the game isn't always working, you have no right to complain about anything. If you don't like how they made the game, go play something else.

Edit: I'm not hating on people who make constructive posts about the game and characters. Just the people who will come out and say/imply ridiculous stuff when they, or someone they like, loses.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I don't like counterpicking and believe in a few more months that it will dawn on whomever remains that the only counter needed is switching variation.

I don't look down on it though but I respect character loyalists a bit more.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
I don't like counterpicking and believe in a few more months that it will dawn on whomever remains that the only counter needed is switching variation.

I don't look down on it though but I respect character loyalists a bit more.
So I shouldn't counter pick with shinnok? :(

Vjeekes

DevilApes
I think it's viewed as a cowards way out. Since you cannot beat me in a fair matchup, you gotta run to a 7-3. Tbh it can get to me too. If you pick HQT Pred on my Johnny cause I bopped your Sonya, gtfo. Unless they are actually your main, don't counter pick. Just my opinion atleast.
I totally agree

freerf245

11 11 11 11
My 2 cents on this topic and excuse making in general.

It's very similar to when you win with a top tier character; that makes you a tier whore, or when you win with a mid-low tier character, and they didn't know the match up. Universal excuses that are super petty.

Counterpicking, tierwhore, lack of mu knowledge, etc, are all excuses that can be said nicely, and at the same time imply that you didn't actually lose because of being outplayed. The character loyalist is like the ultimate one, because being one covers you for any loss, automatically, in a lot of people's eyes. If you exploit that by counterpicking, you're effectively attacking all of the excuse makers around the Mortal Kombat world.

At the end of the day there are no valid excuses for a working game that gets patched frequently. It's not like they put Tanya in the game and couldn't nerf her. NRS could be changing things and they aren't, so everything is meant to be in the game as of now. If you lose to Quan Chi, you can pick Quan Chi, or a different character that can fight him better. Unless you play Mortal Kombat X online where the game isn't always working, you have no right to complain about anything. If you don't like how they made the game, go play something else.

Edit: I'm not hating on people who make constructive posts about the game and characters. Just the people who will come out and say/imply ridiculous stuff when they, or someone they like, loses.
"Patched frequently" lol

Rizz091

Noob
I think it's viewed as a cowards way out. Since you cannot beat me in a fair matchup, you gotta run to a 7-3. Tbh it can get to me too. If you pick HQT Pred on my Johnny cause I bopped your Sonya, gtfo. Unless they are actually your main, don't counter pick. Just my opinion atleast.
I think this mentality is a total cop out. If you don't want to play a 7-3 match, switch variations, or switch characters. It doesn't excuse your loss that they counter picked you. No one is tied to a "main". You can pick whoever you want.

I don't think it is a bad thing. If my character is clearly inferior, I'm at least going to chose the best variation for the matchup. I'm not picking lackey vs GM subzero anymore.... I refuse.

XxDark_

Noob
I guess to make this simple because there is always going to be that group of people in their feelings about couterpicking. generally no one wants to take a loss and admit that they got outplayed. so every excuse will be made to comfort that loss to reassure yourself that you wasn't the cause of it. (the reason you loss is either due to "counter picking", a character being "broken", or you didn't know the match up) see how fucking DUMB these excuses sound. even if you are a character loyalist. you will run into a match up that will basically be a counter pick in your favor depending on which character you are loyal to. so what will be the excuse if you lose?????
What I do know for sure though is that no one is complaining or making excuses as long as they are winning. but the moment they lose is when all the salt comes out.