What's new

Why is counterpicking looked down upon?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
counterpicking is annoying when a player ALWAYS looks for the 7-3 matchup, without even considering a main or a fair fight. if you have a main that is clearly better than your other chars but it doesn't work out, you can pick a pocket no problem imo.

same can be said about loyalists: if you like kung lao and decide to main him it's all good, but if you decide to be a "loyalist" for kung lao just because he doesn't have losing matchup and is top tier, you are just looking for the easy way and that is quite annoying to see (to me at least).

there's dirt both ways.

XxDark_

Noob
there is no such thing as a fair fight in the competitive mentality of mkx ....get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. I want to keep the advantage at all times and if that means counterpicking and switching to a 7-3 match up in my favor I will do so just to piss you off. I may even listen to you bitch and complain while you are in loser bracket or out the tournament. I don't know why some of you are acting brand new to this. you know how this shit works before the set even starts. why even be concerned with what someone else is doing anyways. if they are winning then clearly its working for them. like it or not.

Rearawt

Noob
there is no such thing as a fair fight in the competitive mentality of mkx ....get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. I want to keep the advantage at all times and if that means counterpicking and switching to a 7-3 match up in my favor I will do so just to piss you off. I may even listen to you bitch and complain while you are in loser bracket or out the tournament. I don't know why some of you are acting brand new to this. you know how this shit works before the set even starts. why even be concerned with what someone else is doing anyways. if they are winning then clearly its working for them. like it or not.
You keep saying the exact same thing over and over as if you haven't read a single post in this thread.
Yes, you won. No one is imposing rules on you. No one is trying to ban counterpicking.
Some people will just think you're an asshole, like it or not.

XxDark_

Noob
You keep saying the exact same thing over and over as if you haven't read a single post in this thread.
Yes, you won. No one is imposing rules on you. No one is trying to ban counterpicking.
Some people will just think you're an asshole, like it or not.
ask me if I care

XxDark_

Noob
You've been pretty adamant about arguing with people in this thread for someone who doesn't care
yea. it has helped me pass down time so far. but its all in good debate. everyone is entitled to their own opinion been some good points so far.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
That is why it's very important to win the first match in a tournament, so you can counterpick the fuck out of his counterpick after he counterpicks you in the second match.

Also you should always use hidden cursor just to piss counterpickers off.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
When counter picking with a matchup of 7-3 or even 6-4 happens and you obviously lose, you can't help but ask yourself, why bother playing a favorite character when you can simply play top-tiers from the beginning? Why bother trying to win with a favorite character if the only way remains in the end is to counter pick a character in whose advantage the game's general design works the best?

Then the last question remains: do people win in MKX because of a skill or because of playing a character who feels "broken" (or better word: overpowered) in certain matchups?

Why then bother playing anyone but top-tiers at all then.

Sometimes miracles do happen though and people with huge disadvantage overcome all obstacles and prevail with mid or low tiers even. But how often is that though?

Winning by all means necesarry might be ok on tournaments indeed, but nothing can satisfy more than winning with an actually favorite character, especially when he is mid/low-tier and requires huge amount of skill and patience during the match in order to prevail. People who win in a match where their character is at massive disadvantage thanks to game's balancing issues deserve more props. I don't see any appeal or hype about watching a player winning 7-3 matchup in his favor.

Last edited: