What's new

Why girls love MK so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
because i believe genders define you
This is the problematic part. Because that completely invalidates anyone who doesn't feel that way, and you're making it seem like that they don't matter then. If Sage doesn't feel like their gender defines them, does that mean to you that their feelings, wants, needs and interests are of no consequence at all and WB/NRS should ignore them?

People can feel like their gender isn't all that important without being an "asexual homunculi", which again just seems like you trying to make them feel like they don't matter.

There's nothing wrong with embracing your gender. Not at all. I embrace my gender all the time. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

... but that doesn't mean people who prefer not to should be invalidated.

From my understanding, both from people's reaction in this thread as well as other places, the female fans don't have a particular want for being called out or stereotyped based on them being female. They just want to be accepted as fans on an equal level as everyone else. We're all just part of the same community, we all like Mortal Kombat and we're all here to just play the game and have fun with it.

If MK appeals more to female gamers, then that's just cool. There's no reason to question it.

Thing is, as Law Hero kinda touches upon above - video games, Mortal Kombat amongst them, have been seen as a toy for boys for a long time. But thing is... it isn't! More and more women find gaming appealing, and it's been like that for many years now. As a community, there's no reason to ask why. It just is. And it's awesome!

As Law Hero also touches upon, for pure marketing reasons, it matters to WB and NRS, as the franchise might've mostly had just male gamers in their scope, because again, games were considered a boy's toy for a long time. Because that's no longer the case, they might want to change their strategies to try and make the game appealing for all of us, no matter the gender or lack thereof. To widen the market.

Here's the kicker though... We're all individuals. There will always be people who prefer scantly clad female characters with big boobs and male characters showing off their muscles, just like there will always be people who prefer them being more "covered up", clad in armour or wearing more realistic and sensible costumes fitting the setting of the battle. None of that has to do with your gender though. Not all men prefer naked women with big tits. Whenever the topic has come up, I've seen men on both sides arguing why they want one way or the other. And the same for women in our community! Some actually find the sexual nature appealing, while others like the more respectable and sensible costumes.

Your gender doesn't specify what you like and what you want. Because we're all individuals who want and like different things! A.k.a. you can't please them all!

So while one girl might answer OP's question with "I like the gore and blood", another might answer with "I like to see the bulging muscles on the male characters", or maybe "I think Mileena is awesome for being a monstrous female character wearing nothing but a thong!", etc etc etc...

Sorry for the long post. And I was rather slow writing it, because I'm tired in the head and should've been asleep hours ago.
But I hope I brought some more clarity on the whole thing... I at least tried to. :)

Everyone loves you, Pizza.
I'm actually not all that into pizza, tbh.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
Tell @JINNOCIDE to get on that already.
I'm waiting for the store to tell me I can pick it up!!!!!!!!!

but for real I HOPE they release it early but I think I'm gonna end up playing a few days after launch ): gotta wait to know

the store says April 24th but the estimative date is May 2nd, even though I'm gonna pick up on the store, so lets hope it's just a placeholder date

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I know I already made a sort of troll post earlier, but as for my actual thoughts on the thread/question (since we seem to be starting to be actually serious in here):

I don't typically agree with anything @Derico says or posts. But I am also unsure as to why everyone decided to immediately jump down his throat on this? He wasn't being offensive (at least I don't think so)... it was just... a weird question and an odd thread title lol

Perhaps he just wants to know why females like MK? Perhaps hoping for female players on this site to give him insight as to why? *shrug

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
I know I already made a sort of troll post earlier, but as for my actual thoughts on the thread/question (since we seem to be starting to be actually serious in here):

I don't typically agree with anything @Derico says or posts. But I am also unsure as to why everyone decided to immediately jump down his throat on this? He wasn't being offensive (at least I don't think so)... it was just... a weird question and an odd thread title lol

Perhaps he just wants to know why females like MK? Perhaps hoping for female players on this site to give him insight as to why? *shrug
I don’t think anyone said he was being malicious. Just kind of a doofus thread.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Honestly they probably like the blood and gore like men do. A lot females like horror films and blood . There’s lot blood in MK . Some like to cosplay . Some like to stream now days. Some just like playing with a friend.

This is the problematic part. Because that completely invalidates anyone who doesn't feel that way, and you're making it seem like that they don't matter then. If Sage doesn't feel like their gender defines them, does that mean to you that their feelings, wants, needs and interests are of no consequence at all and WB/NRS should ignore them?

People can feel like their gender isn't all that important without being an "asexual homunculi", which again just seems like you trying to make them feel like they don't matter.
You are right in that for some other people the gender is not so important for defining themselves. I am sorry if my comment of the homunculi was too offensive for Sage as he is free to believe what he wants about gender.

But i still believe that for most people, gender or gender perception defines us quite deeply. We dress in a gender sensitive way, we speak , we walk , we sometimes even think according to what is expected of our gender or identification expect us to do. For me , asking that we are completely neutral in respect to the gender issue, is impossible. That is for me, as i think that neutrality about gender actually kills individuality, as we are supposed to be individuals and individuals, even if they prefer otherwise or not, are born with a sex and a gender predisposition.

And i still think that if a female player is offended because a random guy on a forum ask "hey , i saw many girls players playing MK. Why does girls prefer MK to other games", then its a little on the defensive side. That i can understand. But attacking the OP, mocking him because "the question is stupid: obviously, females and males are totally equal and they like the exact same things in all the games they play", and " You need to go play with crayons because your are a kid" its , to me , bigotry. To me there are no good or bad questions, just questions, and people that cant stand them.

And to me that NRS will do a game that is totally neutral on gender, its akin to negating the same uniqueness that the MK world have. I mean, i believe that we as a race, are better accepting that we are different and we will never be the same and that gender defines us, but respecting each other precisely because we are different.

I would love that real girls answers to the OP question, without all the defensiveness. It doesnt matter if they like it for different reasons, or if its scientific. Just to know why they choose MK, thats all.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Holy balls there's alot of stupidity here. Are people this easily offended for real, or are they merely quick to jump on this topic to virtue signal their superior modern morals?

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Lots of young women like to play games on their DSXL because it fits in their handbag. A great relaxation exercise after spending 3+ hours getting your hair bleached, the toner applied and doing her make up for a good 45 minutes before that. She probably has the Nintendo Switch too but the battery died or she forgot it at home or left in her other purse. She also probably has the game pre-ordered and played the beta. Her nails are short too so she has to keep them trimmed to play. She also is hoping to play Sonya in the next MK movie that her agent received a script for.

In all seriousness...Girls do play video games and want female representation in them. Voice Actors, Actresses, and some really do like them. In all fairness, this young girl might and was trying to promote the console by Nintendo. I mean....in all advertisements people have to look attractive. And besides. With the exception of some MK games....most of the females are powerful, play on the same battlefield as men, just as strong, and still may be aware of the franchise and enjoy it. and I do think gender is irrelevant. I have never encountered any female in audio though. I do know that a lot of girls enjoy games like the sims or MMO's where you decorate a lair, housing, or outfit. Girls also don't want to be harassed by men. But I think a lot of the youtube videos you see are more for views/subscribers/etc. Some men do this as well, like the ones that go shirtless showing off their muscles. Some though I do believe genuinely play games because of their interest in the content. Male and female. Some have even promoted the games but stated they don't personally play them but love the representation and cover it because it pertains

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
There are two things that set MK games apart from other fighting games. Closest designs to reality and the presence of blood and gore. Anime's are cartoons, SF is caricature, Tekken doesn't have blood. Also MK is aimed at a more mature audience with a decent story and themes. So kudos to girls for being more mature. Guys, grow up! :DOGE

Lun

proud TERF!
Just wanted to say that I'm offended about the whole "because it's casual friendly" comment. It implies that girls are worse at fighting games so they need an easier game. Lolno.

Lun

proud TERF!
If your premise is correct, probably a few things.

1. The MK movie helped make MK mainstream in the West in a way other fgs are not.

2. MK9/X/11 did that even more. And probably caught a fair few female Injustice fans as well. And it probably doesn't hurt that NRS keeps getting press, good or bad, about how their female character designs have changed. It puts NRS on female gamers' radar all the time. Exposure is marketing.

3. MKX/11 market themselves as casual-friendly games that offer a shitton of content besides just the competitive grind.

So between these 3 factors I would not at all be surprised to learn that a higher % of MK's fans are female, compared to fans of other fgs. Is that true though? I have absolutely no idea.

Tell me this is not the greatest win pose ever.

I'll tell you that's the worst win pose in any fighting game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.