What's new

Why girls love MK so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was actually almost a really good post until the very end. I think you hit the nail on the head by pointing out that MK is incredibly popular all-around, and therefore more women will like it. I also believe this is the main reason that it seems so many women have a positive opinion of MK; it's simply more popular here in the west than other fighting games, especially commercially. The proportion of men-to-women that like MK may be the same compared to other games, but there's simply a larger number of female fans which gives the impression that it's more well-liked.

Anyway, the OP made an observation, then asked as simple question. No one is being "singled out" or attacked because of it. I seriously hope most of the people here don't intend to become scientists or researchers, because the total disdain for the scientific method around these parts is alarming.
Read the message again. I never said people were attacking women. I said why do women need to be singled out for the topic of discussion when the popularity is from both ends? It just doesn't make sense to try and dissect that particular section of the fanbase when anything said can be for both genders. For example, "Women like it because of the strong female characters." I am a male, and that is one of my reasons for liking the series.

Again, I'm not trying to attack anyone. I had some goofy messages in this thread and then answered the OP seriously as well. I will say if anyone thought I was being mean, then I do apologize for that. It's the internet, sometimes you can't help but throw in a shitpost every once in awhile.

He made an observation, and people are telling him why that observation doesn't exactly add up to something that can be discussed. You keep saying people are offended, but you're the one literally getting offended and getting mad at other people. There's definitely some flame baiting on both ends. But again, many people have been decently constructive about the topic. Many people have simply pointed out the flawed logic of the question. Being constructive about something does not mean we hate the OP or we want him to burn.

But yeah go off.
Dude, read page 1 to 4 of the thread and see the construtivity of the opinions by yourself.
Most of the answers are : people offended because "Girls play games " and "lets troll this dude because his thread is stupid".

As i said before , there should not be anybody, except the moderators, that should judge which questions are valid and which other dont, and in the case of moderators, only if it offends somebody.
You should not ask permission to the community and appeal to its own special logic to ask any question.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Actually, I think the WB execs and marketing team would strongly disagree with this statement. You'd probably faint if you knew just how much money went into getting your gender interested in Mortal Kombat.
What would you say WB/NRS have done to appeal more to female gamers?

Dude, read page 1 to 4 of the thread and see the construtivity of the opinions by yourself.
Most of the answers are : people offended because "Girls play games " and "lets troll this dude because his thread is stupid".

As i said before , there should not be anybody, except the moderators, that should judge which questions are valid and which other dont, and in the case of moderators, only if it offends somebody.
You should not ask permission to the community and appeal to its own special logic to ask any question.
"There's definitely been some flame baiting on both ends." Yes I did acknowledge other statements. But let's just agree to disagree at this point. I'd much rather chop your head off in the game then to continue to argue about this when nothing productive seems to be happening.

See y'all online in 2 weeks!

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Dude, really? Your gender doesnt matter? So we are all asexual homunculi that doesnt , by any means natural or social, are defined by our gender or gender identification? We just, exist, just that?
This kinda comes off as you thinking you can't be an interesting person or have any sort of social interaction or interests not based on your gender.
Which I'm sure wasn't your intention, but the whole "asexual homunculi who just exist" seems very much that.

"There's definitely been some flame baiting on both ends." Yes I did acknowledge other statements. But let's just agree to disagree at this point. I'd much rather chop your head off in the game then to continue to argue about this when nothing productive seems to be happening.

See y'all online in 2 weeks!
Agree, see you in the game, where we can kill each other with our virtual fists instead of words!

Reactions: Zev
This kinda comes off as you thinking you can't be an interesting person or have any sort of social interaction or interests not based on your gender.
Which I'm sure wasn't your intention, but the whole "asexual homunculi who just exist" seems very much that.
What i mean is that gender defines us on different degrees, we can of course have our own criteria for living our lives, but saying that we are completely neutral, its , to me, saying that we just exists, just like homunculi. Its like saying : Hey , look dont defines us! So why dont MK have characters more realistic, you know, overweight and dressed in genderless clothes so everybody feels nonthreatened by the sexualization of the genders in the game?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Well i see that they are trying to be more mindful about the clothing of the female characters, trying to do it more respectful than before i suppose. Also there are new cool female characters too.
So why dont MK have characters more realistic, you know, overweight and dressed in genderless clothes so everybody feels nonthreatened by the sexualization of the genders in the game?
Now I'm confused. You say that to appeal to female gamers, NRS have toned down the sexualisation of female characters by being more mindful about their clothing... but then go and use that same argument as an offensive towards people who don't feel like their gender should define them.

Care to elaborate here?

Reactions: Zev

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
What would you say WB/NRS have done to appeal more to female gamers?
That's a good question. Don't make a thread about it though or you'll get blown up.

I'm gonna push an incredibly sensitive and hot button, but I think their costume design philosophy is a message that MK is not your typical "boys' toy" of a video game. I can definitely see this as one of the company's means of expressing that the game's target audience isn't only men. If you put a big busty babe front and center, I imagine a lot women would be quick to disregard it as immature or "for boys only." As a result, we've had more grounded serious female characters like military woman Sonya (even voiced by a real life martial artist) pushed first and foremost to grab the attention of the female viewer. I think it's a strong and smart strategy.

Anyway, despite my appreciation for economics, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to WB's marketing strategies, nor am I privy to any special information. I can only speculate with everyone else here.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Actually, I think the WB execs and marketing team would strongly disagree with this statement. You'd probably faint if you knew just how much money went into getting your gender interested in Mortal Kombat.
If the reasons behind NRS latest design choices are to appeal to their female demographic, then... good! It's about damn time. I think we agree more than you think we do!

Dude, really? Your gender doesnt matter? So we are all asexual homunculi that doesnt , by any means natural or social, are defined by our gender or gender identification? We just, exist, just that?
OP's observation on why women apparently love MK more than other fighting games seems to suggest some profound implication about the female gender.
It doesn't.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I would say there's a surprising amount of girls who play MK compared to other extremely violent games that were primarily marketed to boys/men for most of their franchise's existence.

That's not a controversial observation. Your skin should be thicker then paper. OP clearly meant this as a fun thread anyway
People like to immediately jump down other people’s throats when topics like gender come up. I don’t think the OP made this thread maliciously at all and a lot of people are purposely misreading what he said even if the question itself was a bit odd to begin with.

Two big points to note:

He is asking why it seems to be this way, not stating that it is defacto this way. This isn’t really an argument of whether it is or isn’t, just why it could be.

People asking how he figures this, over and over, are ignoring the reason he already provided: His own anecdotal experiences. Meaning he already acknowledges it might not apply to everyone and he’s also not saying that is the universal truth.

He also isn’t saying they can or can’t, should or shouldn’t.

That said, while I can not say personally that there is a reason for it or that my own experiences are indicative of the rest of the world, yes I have always noticed that in my entire life the only fighting games I ever really hear any women talk about are MK, Smash, or Tekken.

Now I'm confused. You say that to appeal to female gamers, NRS have toned down the sexualisation of female characters by being more mindful about their clothing... but then go and use that same argument as an offensive towards people who don't feel like their gender should define them.

Care to elaborate here?
Yes. I say that , in order of not being a fanservice fest only targeted to males, they toned down the sexualization and gave more personality to female characters, like Skarlet, Sonya, etc. Even they created more distinct and unique faces this characters, and also toned up the fanservice directed to females, for example nearly naked baraka, kothal, and similar.

That show that NRS cares about what female demographic thinks, and they cares about the genders as as far as i saw , females and males dress according to their gender too. The post that i answer to said that according to him , his gender doesnt matter. I disagree with that, because i believe genders define you , saying that we are neutral and same, its , to me, the same as saying we are not male and female, but just genderless homunculi, as in fantasy homunculi didnt have any sex. For them , gender didnt matter. But i guess for the rest of us, doesnt matter if you identify with one sex or gender, this issue will define you. Prove of that is that when somebody ask about "why girls love MK?" many people goes apeshit offended because they see this as a gender issue and as an attack or oversimplification. So gender matters to many people here too.

OP's observation on why women apparently love MK more than other fighting games seems to suggest some profound implication about the female gender.
It doesn't.
He just said that because the females in his enviroment like MK, and probably doesnt know why. Why a girl plays this X game and not this Y game. What does the game right to appeal them?

Status
Not open for further replies.