What's new

Which comic character has the best rogues gallery?

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
yes, Nightwing killed him, but there was no backlash, no feeling of guilt because the world didn't lose anyone. The Joker was still alive. He was dead for a minute, but he was not permanently dead. Nightwing can go on knowing that he can make the decision to kill a man to save thousands, but now Bruce has to live knowing that he just saved a man who will kill thousands.

Bruce and Dick have a weird relationship. You have to know their history to understand why he did what he did.
It isnt really about the personal growth of a character, you see batman didnt even have to save the joker, the joker was dead and he could of left it alone, but instead he had to revive him... the sad part is that he didnt do that for jason todd...
The point is that killing the joker would of saved lives but batman doesnt want to do it because he is crazy

I pity the poor guard that kills joker.

The wrath of Harley would be one thing I would not want to have....

Joker has been shot at before, and other people have beaten him near to death...Joker is one of those people where if you attempt to kill him, you damn well better get the job done because god help you if you don't.

When Joker is in Arkham he is under the care of mental health providers and not direct guards. He isn't in black gate. He is in a straight jacket.
there are actual guards in arkham, the place needs them.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Sure it does.. There is a reason WHY Spider-man and Batman have multiple forms of media, there is a reason why kids run around with Spidey sneeks and Batman undies, and not a Shazam T-shirt or Hawkeye hat...
Multiple media outlets lead to popularity which in turn can bring fans into the comic realm and increase reader numbers- thus making them more familiar, more popular and just the characters themselves but all characters associated with that world/book. There is a reason Spidey and Bats have been as popular and around as long as they have- outstanding rogues gallery only fuels that.

Because they were given a shot in the public consciousness and shown to garner interest in the mainstream. Shazam and Hawkeye have had basically no mainstream representation and weren't even given a shot really.

Yes, multiple media outlets lead to popularity and 85 percent of comics don't get multiple media outlets, just their comics. Given multiple chances of media doesn't automatically make your gallery better, just more well known.

Batman's Rouge Gallery is not outstanding, he has about 2 or 3 amazing villains, 4 or so good ones and the rest are meh or worse.

Edit: If Batman was given no other media beyond his comic ever would you say he still has one of the best Rogue Galleries?

The consequences of killing him vary depending on the story told. I guess a universal consequence would be Harley quinn going crazy and probably taking their men and gunning down random people. Joker is just crazy enough that he would have some stupid device on his heart or something. Once it stopped beating it would probably do something stupid.

I don't know...His character is setup in a way where no one EVER wants to have the Joker pissed at them...

This seems like a consequence that's worth it to put Joker down. Killing Lex RUINS Superman, not his character but "Superman" himself. Killing Joker ruins nothing.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
there are actual guards in arkham, the place needs them.

Yes, but not in their quarters. Arkham is a medical institution. If your thinking of Arkham as a place like Arkham Asylum and Arkham City depict...the reason there were so many armed guards is because of the Black Gate prison fire.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
that's a pretty shitty reason. some cop should still shoot him in his cell, make sure to kill him.

Many have tried. Most get deterred, because legally they have to. It's the same reason why cops don't shoot people being detained. They would face death themselves.

DuskAlloy

Many have tried. Most get deterred, because legally they have to. It's the same reason why cops don't shoot people being detained. They would face death themselves.
But Nightwing did kill him and batman acted like and idiot and saved him, I think batman is the only comic character I now of that would not cross the line at killing someone, even superman killed one of his enemies once on purpose

batman already works outside the law, so killing him SHOULDN'T be a problem for him. he wants to be feared, he should at least let jason or dick kill him.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
yes, Nightwing killed him, but there was no backlash, no feeling of guilt because the world didn't lose anyone. The Joker was still alive. He was dead for a minute, but he was not permanently dead. Nightwing can go on knowing that he can make the decision to kill a man to save thousands, but now Bruce has to live knowing that he just saved a man who will kill thousands.

Bruce and Dick have a weird relationship. You have to know their history to understand why he did what he did.

Nightwing still knows he has it in him to end a man's life. He still knows that he beat the Joker to death. Saving the Joker and letting him die shouldn't create that much of a difference in his psyche.

Edit: Wasn't there also a time where a sniper was about to kill Joker and Batman stopped him?

But Nightwing did kill him and batman acted like and idiot and saved him, I think batman is the only comic character I now of that would not cross the line at killing someone, even superman killed one of his enemies once on purpose
who did superman kill?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Because they were given a shot in the public consciousness and shown to garner interest in the mainstream. Shazam and Hawkeye have had basically no mainstream representation and weren't even given a shot really.

Yes, multiple media outlets lead to popularity and 85 percent of comics don't get multiple media outlets, just their comics. Given multiple chances of media doesn't automatically make your gallery better, just more well known.

Batman's Rouge Gallery is not outstanding, he has about 2 or 3 amazing villains, 4 or so good ones and the rest are meh or worse.

Edit: If Batman was given no other media beyond his comic ever would you say he still has one of the best Rogue Galleries?

This seems like a consequence that's worth it to put Joker down. Killing Lex RUINS Superman, not his character but "Superman" himself. Killing Joker ruins nothing.
This conversation is going to go in circles and end in a mainstream vs underground argument.. Ask yourself WHY Batman and Spider-man were given the chance/exposure in mainstream..

DuskAlloy

who did superman kill?
It was two other kryptonian fugitives that were stonger then he was and wanted to wipe out humans and take over earth, so he put on his kryptonite suit and put both green and red kryptonite in front of them and they died, and superman knew full well that it would kill them, he just knew that having two villains that were that powerful couldnt be allowed to live

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
batman already works outside the law, so killing him SHOULDN'T be a problem for him. he wants to be feared, he should at least let jason or dick kill him.

Batman doesn't kill. It's central to his character. The reasons for doing so make up the entire Batman Mythos.

If he lets Jason or Dick kill him, he is still technically killing him.

If Batman killed the Joker...like Batman himself, he would have to be hunted and charged to the full extent of the law. No amount of good could remove that blemish from his record.

If Superman kills someone (which he does, more so aliens than people) the guy can lift the fucking earth away from an asteroid.

Lex is smart enough where he plays off his public image, and in reality he isn't even really a "bad guy" just a megalomaniac.

Joker on the other hand, is just fucked in the head crazy.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
This conversation is going to go in circles and end in a mainstream vs underground argument.. Ask yourself WHY Batman and Spider-man were given the chance/exposure in mainstream..

No clue. Daredevil and Elektra were given shots, Superboy was given a shot, Black Panther was given a shot, Static Shock was given a shot, Titans/Young Justice was given a shot. Whim of Hollywood.

Edit: You still didn't answer my question about "Would Batman's Gallery still be great without other media".

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Nightwing still knows he has it in him to end a man's life. He still knows that he beat the Joker to death. Saving the Joker and letting him die shouldn't create that much of a difference in his psyche.

Edit: Wasn't there also a time where a sniper was about to kill Joker and Batman stopped him?

Right, but Bruce doesn't have to live with the fact that he allowed Dick to kill someone. (It's their whole dumb father son thing...like I said...it's complicated)

I am not sure about the Sniper. I don't recall. Probably did happen, but remember Batman does not stand for mindless killing. It's how he seperates himself from them. A good guy killing a bad guy is still a murder. Batman's whole central point is that he wants to show people that they do not have to live in fear. They have a protector who will keep evil doers off the street.

Would I live in Gotham? Fuck no. That's a whole other can of worms tho lol

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
If Batman killed the Joker...like Batman himself, he would have to be hunted and charged to the full extent of the law. No amount of good could remove that blemish from his record.

How would people know Batman killed Joker? Some gang member, some guy betraying him, so fall from a height while he was doing Joker shit. Bruce could make it look like something else so fast.

If Superman kills someone (which he does, more so aliens than people) the guy can lift the fucking earth away from an asteroid.

What does this matter? Superman ALWAYS strives to find another way beyond killing but if he has killed then there was clearly no other way. Batman uses his "I don't kill" to justify letting these monsters continue torturing and killing people.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
How would people know Batman killed Joker? Some gang member, some guy betraying him, so fall from a height while he was doing Joker shit. Bruce could make it look like something else so fast.

What does this matter? Superman ALWAYS strives to find another way beyond killing but if he has killed then there was clearly no other way. Batman uses his "I don't kill" to justify letting these monsters continue torturing and killing people.

That's what makes Superman...Superman.

It's also what makes Batman...Batman.

Batman would be persecuted. If Batman tried to cover up the murder, he would be a criminal. If Bruce wanted his image to truly stand as untouched as it does, he would have to come clean for his crimes. If he doesn't...he isn't Batman anymore. He is a thug, a murderer...someone his parents would not be proud of considering the same style of man killed them.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Batman would be persecuted. If Batman tried to cover up the murder, he would be a criminal. If Bruce wanted his image to truly stand as untouched as it does, he would have to come clean for his crimes. If he doesn't...he isn't Batman anymore. He is a thug, a murderer...someone his parents would not be proud of considering the same style of man killed them.

Batman would be persecuted for killing Joker in self defense or to save the lives of people Joker has hostage. Joker killed everyone in the damn police station at one point, killing in self-defense is completely believable.

Let me ask this then, why doesn't Bruce construct a prison just for Joker? A place where no one but himself knows it's whereabouts and sends his food and stuff through tubes? Some isolated area that people don't know the exact location of and can just pay guards off to release him.

So who do you guys think is the main X-man villain? (not counting magneto)

Minus Magneto and the Brotherhood? Hellfire Club.

Batman doesn't kill. It's central to his character. The reasons for doing so make up the entire Batman Mythos. yeah... he's weak/insane

If he lets Jason or Dick kill him, he is still technically killing him. that's not true, that's what needs to be done.

If Batman killed the Joker...like Batman himself, he would have to be hunted and charged to the full extent of the law. No amount of good could remove that blemish from his record. he won't get hunted for that.

Lex is smart enough where he plays off his public image, and in reality he isn't even really a "bad guy" just a megalomaniac.

Joker on the other hand, is just fucked in the head crazy.
batman is a really bad vigilante in that sense, he doesn't have balls. nightwing does.

Reedoms

Noob
Well, if we're going comic characters and not just flat out Superheroes, the main character from Chew has a vampire that eats people with food abilities such as being able to see the entire life of someone just by taking a bite of them or making paintings of food you can taste.

Right, but Bruce doesn't have to live with the fact that he allowed Dick to kill someone. (It's their whole dumb father son thing...like I said...it's complicated)

I am not sure about the Sniper. I don't recall. Probably did happen, but remember Batman does not stand for mindless killing. It's how he seperates himself from them. A good guy killing a bad guy is still a murder. Batman's whole central point is that he wants to show people that they do not have to live in fear. They have a protector who will keep evil doers off the street.

Would I live in Gotham? Fuck no. That's a whole other can of worms tho lol
killing the joker is not mindless killing, quite the opposite.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Batman would be persecuted for killing Joker in self defense or to save the lives of people Joker has hostage. Joker killed everyone in the damn police station at one point, killing in self-defense is completely believable.

Let me ask this then, why doesn't Bruce construct a prison just for Joker? A place where no one but himself knows it's whereabouts and sends his food and stuff through tubes? Some isolated area that people don't know the exact location of and can just pay guards off to release him.

Minus Magneto and the Brotherhood? Hellfire Club.

Because that would be outside the realms of true Justice. Batman is a symbol. He doesn't want to convey that sense of corruptness.

he's a vigilante, he doesn't need to be a good guy in the public, he needs to be effective and efficient.