What's new

Which comic character has the best rogues gallery?

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
As the title suggests discuss who you think has the best villains. For me it will always be Spiderman and the Flash due to the interesting relationships these two have with some of their villains. Also post your favorite villain of that rogues gallery. And yes there can be off topic discussions so long as it is about the rougues
Spiderman: Doctor Octopus
Flash: Captain Cold

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
This is a tough one. I would totally agree that your choices are some of the best villains, and I think there are a few others I would add like Batman, Superman, Thor, The X-Men and GL. That would just about sum it up for me, but my personal favorites are Batman's villains, followed up closely by Spidey's.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Spider-man, like, it's not even close: Venom, Carnage, Doc Ock, Green Goblin, all subsidiary Goblins, Rhino, Sandman, Smyth, Chameleon, Electro, Lizard, Kraven, Kingpin, Mysterio, Vulture, Morbius.

Favorite: Carnage.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I gotta go with Batman. No other series has really made me love to see the torment and pain that their villains were about to wrought more.

Spiderman in second place for sure...but lbsh. If they didn't do the symbiotes, spiderman wouldn't even be considered. Carnage and Venom were massively successful.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I gotta go with Batman. No other series has really made me love to see the torment and pain that their villains were about to wrought more.

Spiderman in second place for sure...but lbsh. If they didn't do the symbiotes, spiderman wouldn't even be considered. Carnage and Venom were massively successful.
Dude, I will argue that Doc Oc, Lizard and Green Goblin alone (or Norman Osborn in general) are better characters than around 80% of comic book villains out there. That's just my opinion though.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Dude, I will argue that Doc Oc, Lizard and Green Goblin alone (or Norman Osborn in general) are better characters than around 80% of comic book villains out there. That's just my opinion though.

It's all opinions. Green Goblin is definitely the BEST Spiderman Villain.

Doc Oc is just...meh.

Stack them up to:

The Joker - The best villain ever.
Scarecrow
Hush
Two Face
Bane
Scarface
Mr.Freeze
etc.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
X-Men wins for me. Sentinels alone are such a cool idea, especially when it's your own goverment who is against you. X-Men villains are just so damn good because so many people irrationally hate them, humans and other mutants!

Spider-Man loses some points for the sheer amount of animal based villains, the amount of different goblins they have, and lame-o villains like hydro man (or in the Ultimate Universe: The Ringer).

Batman loses many points just for the fact he has a villain named Crazy Quilt.

Honorable mention goes to Flash because his Rouges are sort of smart, they stick to small time stuff and as campy as their names are and as gimmicky as their powers are they are still somehow pretty cool?

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
It's all opinions. Green Goblin is definitely the BEST Spiderman Villain.

Doc Oc is just...meh.

Stack them up to:

The Joker - The best villain ever.
Scarecrow
Hush
Two Face
Bane
Scarface
Mr.Freeze
etc.

Joker is not the best villain ever, this is not my Batman hate but he's not even the best "insane, funny" villain.

Scarecrow is amazing.

I have yet to read all of Hush.

Two-Face is meh.

Bane had one big arc and the rest is meh.

Scarface I don't even know who that is.

Freeze is meh, he just wants a cure for his wife.

Recognizability and great villains are different. Captain Cold is one of the best villains out and a lot of people don't know him.

X-Men wins for me. Sentinels alone are such a cool idea, especially when it's your own goverment who is against you. X-Men villains are just so damn good because so many people irrationally hate them, humans and other mutants!

Spider-Man loses some points for the sheer amount of animal based villains, the amount of different goblins they have, and lame-o villains like hydro man (or in the Ultimate Universe: The Ringer).

Batman loses many points just for the fact he has a villain named Crazy Quilt.

Honorable mention goes to Flash because his Rouges are sort of smart, they stick to small time stuff and as campy as their names are and as gimmicky as their powers are they are still somehow pretty cool?

X-Men's amazing villains begins and ends with Magnus. They have some interesting villains but hardly any amazing ones and hardly any whose goals extend past "the extermination of mutants" or "the extermination of humans".

I don't see why this should factor in but it's your opinion.

Calender Man........

Flash's is amazing but I don't know if it's even top 3.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Joker is not the best villain ever, this is not my Batman hate but he's not even the best "insane, funny" villain.

Scarecrow is amazing.

I have yet to read all of Hush.

Two-Face is meh.

Bane had one big arc and the rest is meh.

Scarface I don't even know who that is.

Freeze is meh, he just wants a cure for his wife.

Recognizability and great villains are different. Captain Cold is one of the best villains out and a lot of people don't know him.

X-Men's amazing villains begins and ends with Magnus. They have some interesting villains but hardly any amazing ones and hardly any whose goals extend past "the extermination of mutants" or "the extermination of humans".

I don't see why this should factor in but it's your opinion.

Calender Man........

I didn't even know a single flash villain until earlier this year. Captain Cold is really good, but that's about it. Professor zoom is about as original as painting shit white.

Joker IS the definitive best villain of all time. There has been no other villain that has done more than him especially considering he has no metahuman powers...he is just a chaotic manipulative lunatic that can make us all laugh and shudder out of creepyness.

There is a reason why all DC villains fear the joker.

Xmen villains are just...ok. Magneto when he was a full blown villain was awesome. Apocalypse was cool too. Other than that? Do Sentinels really count as a true villain? They are more like weapons to me.

I consider Flash's rogues to be very weak tbh.

I am pretty dispositioned to psychological killers, which most of Batman's rogues are representatives of (certain psychological disorders) so that factors my opinion heavily.

Also, if we are going to bring up really dumb villains from each line...

Stryfe? Mojo? FOREARM!?

I can't even name a bad flash villain because I only know two of his rogues...Captain Cold and Professor Zoom...Is Mirror Master one of his? I know Grundy and Grodd have dipped their feet in his universe a couple times.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I don't know, I think it's less their motivations, I mean the X-Men in general try and survive. I think the design/powers of most of the characters are cool. Magneto's character in general over such a long time is incredible. I like that Juggernaut was fleshed out as an actual human being too. I think Sabertooth is still a bit crap because he rarely seems to change. Hellfire, aliens, Mojo... it's a big gallery of rouges.

Calender Man...
I was going to mention him, but I read a story about him recently that was good.
Also he was creepy as shit in Arkham City

His are an honorable mention, but not sure where they fit in a top ten... some of his Rouges are pathetic.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I didn't even know a single flash villain until earlier this year. Captain Cold is really good, but that's about it. Professor zoom is about as original as painting shit white.

Joker IS the definitive best villain of all time. There has been no other villain that has done more than him especially considering he has no metahuman powers...he is just a chaotic manipulative lunatic that can make us all laugh and shudder out of creepyness.

There is a reason why all DC villains fear the joker.

Xmen villains are just...ok. Magneto when he was a full blown villain was awesome. Apocalypse was cool too. Other than that? Do Sentinels really count as a true villain? They are more like weapons to me.

I consider Flash's rogues to be very weak tbh.

I am pretty dispositioned to psychological killers, which most of Batman's rogues are representatives of (certain psychological disorders) so that factors my opinion heavily.

Also, if we are going to bring up really dumb villains from each line...

Stryfe? Mojo? FOREARM!?

I can't even name a bad flash villain because I only know two of his rogues...Captain Cold and Professor Zoom...Is Mirror Master one of his? I know Grundy and Grodd have dipped their feet in his universe a couple times.

Not knowing who they aren't doesn't make them any more or less relevant to this conversation. He has a very good Rouge Gallery, people just don't know them.

Joker has done a lot with no powers but so what? That doesn't automatically put him in the "best villain" category just because you do a lot without lifting a car. Norman Osborn and Lex Luthor are SO much more manipulative and disruptive to their heroes. Joker likes to screw with Batman and do things for the sake of doing things and, again, others do that as well but better.

What? "All DC Villains fear Joker"? When did this happen?

The Hellfire Club, Stryker, Juggernaut (the brotherhood of mutants in general), Onslaught.

They're not, he has some amazing people that have done some terrible things.

Psychological killers? Joker, Szasz, Scarecrow, Two-Face.......who else?

Everyone has dumb villains, I just love pointing out Calender Man.

Cold, Grodd, Mirror Master, Zoom, Weather Wizard.

I don't know, I think it's less their motivations, I mean the X-Men in general try and survive. I think the design/powers of most of the characters are cool. Magneto's character in general over such a long time is incredible. I like that Juggernaut was fleshed out as an actual human being too. I think Sabertooth is still a bit crap because he rarely seems to change. Hellfire, aliens, Mojo... it's a big gallery of rouges.

I was going to mention him, but I read a story about him recently that was good.
Also he was creepy as shit in Arkham City

His are an honorable mention, but not sure where they fit in a top ten... some of his Rouges are pathetic.

Yeah, they have such a LARGE list of enemies that it's easier to get some amazing ones. Having 100 villains makes it easier to get 20 fantastic ones than having 20 outta 30. Spider-man's gallery consists of about 4 non-great villains, the ratio is astounding.

I just like to bring him up.

So are other people's.

Edit: You know what, what do people classify as "a great rogue gallery"? This might make it easier for discussion.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Not knowing who they aren't doesn't make them any more or less relevant to this conversation. He has a very good Rouge Gallery, people just don't know them.

Joker has done a lot with no powers but so what? That doesn't automatically put him in the "best villain" category just because you do a lot without lifting a car. Norman Osborn and Lex Luthor are SO much more manipulative and disruptive to their heroes. Joker likes to screw with Batman and do things for the sake of doing things and, again, others do that as well but better.

What? "All DC Villains fear Joker"? When did this happen?

The Hellfire Club, Stryker, Juggernaut (the brotherhood of mutants in general), Onslaught.

They're not, he has some amazing people that have done some terrible things.

Psychological killers? Joker, Szasz, Scarecrow, Two-Face.......who else?

Everyone has dumb villains, I just love pointing out Calender Man.

Cold, Grodd, Mirror Master, Zoom, Weather Wizard.

Yeah, they have such a LARGE list of enemies that it's easier to get some amazing ones. Having 100 villains makes it easier to get 20 fantastic ones than having 20 outta 30. Spider-man's gallery consists of about 4 non-great villains, the ratio is astounding.

I just like to bring him up.

So are other people's.

Norman Osborne killed Gwen Stacey.

Joker killed Jason Todd.

Joker also parylized Bat Girl. He has killed MILLIONS.

How many has Osborne killed?

Flashes rogues are powerful within their realm, but the fact that they haven't really done anything substantial decredits them on a top 10 list. I dunno...Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Zoom...they don't exactly strike fear into my heart.

Spiderman has some pretty shit villains tho. The Scorpion, Any symbiote other than Venom and Carnage, Rhyno, Hammerhead, Hypno Hustler, Kangaroo, Boomerang, etc.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
Norman Osborne killed Gwen Stacey.

Joker killed Jason Todd.

Joker also parylized Bat Girl. He has killed MILLIONS.

How many has Osborne killed?

Flashes rogues are powerful within their realm, but the fact that they haven't really done anything substantial decredits them on a top 10 list. I dunno...Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Zoom...they don't exactly strike fear into my heart.

Spiderman has some pretty shit villains tho. The Scorpion, Any symbiote other than Venom and Carnage, Rhyno, Hammerhead, Hypno Hustler, Kangaroo, Boomerang, etc.
The problem with the joker for me is he was never scary, he is just some guy dressed like a clown that can be funny every once in a while, but because he is popular he gets blown way out of proportion on his capabilities and loses the sense of feasiblity. Can you honestly say that the joker is a bigger threat to the DC universe then say someone like lex luthor or professor zoom? And no one bring up when Joker became god, that was such stupid bullshit lol

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The problem with the joker for me is he was never scary, he is just some guy dressed like a clown that can be funny every once in a while, but because he is popular he gets blown way out of proportion on his capabilities and loses the sense of feasiblity. Can you honestly say that the joker is a bigger threat to the DC universe then say someone like lex luthor or professor zoom? And no one bring up when Joker became god, that was such stupid bullshit lol

That's the thing about Joker tho. He is every bit of intelligent as he is insane. His character dimensions are endless. If you want to see creepy/scary joker, have a look at the new 52 arc "Death Of The Family". They have really altered his character.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Dude, his villains are awesome.
Fair enough that you think that... I mean I respectfully disagree hence why I was curious.

Edit: You know what, what do people classify as "a great rogue gallery"? This might make it easier for discussion.
I think... the ratio of villains that matter? Or do things that really matter. I don't think Batman's are the best just because he has the Joker. I think collectively they all have to relevant and a lot of them aren't. But that could be said of many.

I think on the DC side of things, stuff like Salvation Run really showed me that out of all the potential villains that heroes have had how few of them are really relevant. However on the flip-side of that Secret Six taught me that it doesn't matter how irrelevant they appear, it's all down to good writers.

While Spider-Man has his share of duds, you really get the sense that a lot of his crazy bastards really shaped who he is now (okay not right now because he is someone else). X-Men... I don't know, a lot of them have had a profound effect but only on certain members... it's a difficult/different question for an ensemble cast.