What's new

What's YOUR "true skill" rank, and do you take it seriously?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I've played against most of the "top 100". Only 3 people there are legit. And in player matches like 5 at the most.
This is 100% untrue.

It would already be debunked just based on the fact that a lot of good tournament players also play online. I can name maybe 20 players I've played recently that do fine in tournament as well as online. They also play ranked, koth, player match, or whatever they feel like in spare time.

If you've only been able to find 5 good players in Player Match, you either have the absolute worst luck in the world, or you just have a cynical and highly negative view of everything that prompts you to greatly exaggerate toward the worst possible outcomes.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
This is 100% untrue.

It would already be debunked just based on the fact that a lot of good tournament players also play online. I can name maybe 20 players I've played recently that do fine in tournament as well as online. They also play ranked, koth, player match, or whatever they feel like in spare time.

If you've only been able to find 5 good players in Player Match, you either have the absolute worst luck in the world, or you just have a cynical and highly negative view of everything that prompts you to greatly exaggerate toward the worst possible outcomes.
Did you even read the post you quoted?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
This is 100% untrue.

Damnit there was more to that last post but it never lets me edit anymore.

For the 2nd part I never run into anyone good in player matches either.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Damnit there was more to that last post but it never lets me edit anymore.

For the 2nd part I never run into anyone good in player matches either.
Aw man, that sucks. Yeah, I've added more than a few friends from player match, to go along with the tourney players I already knew. Some of the best versions of certain characters I've come across, have also been in player match.

Which was surprising to me, because in MK9 you had to go to the rooms to find anyone decent most of the time.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Mine was 32, but it's gone down to 27 since I've started learnin' Lobo.
True skill means shit all, same as level.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
This is 100% untrue.

5 people in the player match top 100. 3 in ranked top 100.

And yeah I rarely find any good people in player matches that aren't either my friends or well known from here. I found that WhiteLantern guy that was very legit, SidTheHaze but he is from here, a KF player who I can't even remember his name and... yeah that's pretty much it. Out of 2000 matches, only 3 people. If I want a challenge I just go for the people I know.

Of course I'm not including the WoundCowboys, the Pigs, the SonicFoxes, the RunwayMafias and the Mr Mileenas, because oooobviously they're people I know have strong careers in FGs since forever.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Mine is really low... but that's because i don't take online seriously. If I'm playing online, I'm just relaxing, because I've already done my training for the day. The advantages of having offline sparring every day :)

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Mines 29 while Maining Mr. Bane. So I get a lot of Batman, Superman, Batgirl headaches.. every day of life. And I can't take it seriously because I run into TS 32-34 Superman all the time who just "Eye beam into eye beam into f23 breath" WITHOUT KNOWING when its the best time for the adjustments. So they get blown up. Then I don't take a superman seriously and when I don't it turns out its a rather decent Supes. So its online what can ya do? Also do disconnects (from lag or opponent quitting) mess up TS?
I just think quitting messes your own up. I've never seen disconnects change my skill, one way or the other. Im kind of OCD about all this, I check after every match.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Mine was 32, but it's gone down to 27 since I've started learnin' Lobo.
True skill means shit all, same as level.
Well it means you've been losing a lot lately, but for at least a legit reason. Won't take long for you to get it back up to 32 once you either start getting the hang of him, or go back to your mains, it all levels and equals out relatively quickly, but yeah learning a new guy can disguise your trueskill for a short time I agree.

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
OP: No, people who play online play a different game, where everything is safe and shit that shouldn't work does. 99.9% of those people don't really know how to play the game, and when they play offline against someone who actually knows what they're doing they get blown up to the moon. Never trust online as a measurement of skill.

Question: how does the point system on PS3 works? What's the highest and what's the minimum?

even though there are people that dont even go to tourneys period and show up for evo and make top 32-8? just saying it happens in alot of fighting games including injustice

Cobra

Noob
I see a lot of scorned dudes here who got rocked online talking about 'dont listen to true skill, it's online only.' Yeah, that's the point, the factors are the same for both players so the true skill is a good ballpark estimate of their skill. Never said shit about offline.

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
Actually thats incorrect. The online for this game is actually pretty good and normally I'm extraordinarily critical of online play. Knightmare SF did pretty well at EVO and he's an online warrior. I did very well against ak harold, reno racks and the lot from atlanta. The timing is pretty consistent online which allows you to build a strategy/tactic. Most moves that are unsafe offline are also unsafe online with possible exception of black adams dive kick against grundy. Quite a few of the players with the higher TS are also offline players that do well at tournaments.

Im glad you pointed that out... alot of real good players dont have the bread to spend on going to every tourney

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
even though there are people that dont even go to tourneys period and show up for evo and make top 32-8? just saying it happens in alot of fighting games including injustice
Yeah, people seem to have pretty shitty reading skills here Espio.

Those are the .1%. And it's very rare to see them.
Obviously you're not in that .1%. Oh yeah I remember you my Filthy Casual.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I guess lol.... perhaps a better hint of sarcasm would of help next time?
I remember you and your constant bitching about the game in these forums buddy, I really don't care about anything you have to say.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
PSN noobs don't know about True Skill ;). But yea, generally people with a TS of around 34 or 35 are at least decent. Some of them are really good.

Cobra

Noob
PSN noobs don't know about True Skill ;). But yea, generally people with a TS of around 34 or 35 are at least decent. Some of them are really good.
The point system in PSN is the same as true skill on XBOX. Except it's points compared to 'true skill.' By the way, who has the highest points on mk9 ranked solo/tag match for PSN right now and record? I used to play on PSN but I sold it and been playing on XBOX since.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I remember you and your constant bitching about the game in these forums buddy, I really don't care about anything you have to say.
Im with you on this, i still remember him dissing on a godlike ares video because he dont like metal. Fuck that im like a dawg, i never forget

True Skill is pretty good at ranking opponents online. There is a clear difference between someone who is at TS28 and someone at TS32. You can absolutely feel the difference. When I get matched up against someone who is TS32+, I know it's most likely going to result in some good matches.

I wish they would have a solid matchmaking system that used TS or something to match you against equally skilled opponents. I hate when get people who are like TS18 with <200 matches or something stupid like that. I don't turn down matches, but it's basically a waste of time. It also reinforces poor habits because stupid shit works against these people who don't know what to do.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, that's the point, the factors are the same for both players

The factors are not always the same for both players. There's often one sided lag and/or delay online. Aside from that, there could be other unknown factors such as controller issues, TV issues, people walking in front of them, it being too cold, etc. All seem like lame excuses, but the point is there's entirely too many random variables that even if you wanted to take online seriously, you really just can't.

All you should be doing online is trying to improve. Get that MU experience, and just try and get better. If you're playing online to "prove" yourself, you're fighting a losing battle, because the only person you're proving anything to is yourself.

The factors are not always the same for both players. There's often one sided lag and/or delay online. Aside from that, there could be other unknown factors such as controller issues, TV issues, people walking in front of them, it being too cold, etc. All seem like lame excuses, but the point is there's entirely too many random variables that even if you wanted to take online seriously, you really just can't.

All you should be doing online is trying to improve. Get that MU experience, and just try and get better. If you're playing online to "prove" yourself, you're fighting a losing battle, because the only person you're proving anything to is yourself.

You play fighting games live to "prove yourself" to other people?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You play fighting games live to "prove yourself" to other people?

I'm saying prove yourself as in prove you're better than your opponent. You cannot do that online. I don't care how badly you beat someone online, the only way you can prove you're better than him is in an offline setting with preferably something on the line.