What's new

What's YOUR "true skill" rank, and do you take it seriously?

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
I feel like it's actually a pretty decent overall gauge of someone's ability as a player, almost always.

When I see someone roll up with a 24 true skill I know it's going to be a slaughter. When someone is low 30s generally it's going to be at least a competitive fight that they at least know block strings and their characters and everyone elses. If someone who has a higher true skill than me comes up, which I've never ran into, I'd expect to lose a few at least.

I feel it's a lot more accurate than someones record, as you see MANY people online with great records/win% but like a 27 trueskill rank so you KNOW they are dodging good players and only beat bad players... and every time they pop up, surprise, DECLINED!

Is this about how everyone sees the true skill rank system, overall and generally speaking? Do you feel yours is accurate to yourself as a player, skill-wise?

Mines 35 right now.

Cobra

Noob
It's real. It shows a ballpark guesstimate on how the opponent's skills compare to another of different true skill.

TS is xbox only it tracks ranked and player matches. Mine is around 33 or 34 in ranked not sure in player. Survivor was pretty high for me because I've got almost no losses.

My TS on mk vs dc was 38-41 and there were only a handful of people who could beat me. So its a fair estimate of online skill at least.

Playstation uses a points thing that I've never bothered to really look into.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
OP: No, people who play online play a different game, where everything is safe and shit that shouldn't work does. 99.9% of those people don't really know how to play the game, and when they play offline against someone who actually knows what they're doing they get blown up to the moon. Never trust online as a measurement of skill.

Question: how does the point system on PS3 works? What's the highest and what's the minimum?

OP: No, people who play online play a different game, where everything is safe and shit that shouldn't work does. 99.9% of those people don't really know how to play the game, and when they play offline against someone who actually knows what it's doing they get blown up to the moon. Never trust online as a measurement of skill.

Question: how does the point system on PS3 works? What's the highest and what's the minimum?
The online can be very stupid with randoms on ranked. The highest I saw was like 2016, and the lowest was maybe 990~1020

OP: No, people who play online play a different game, where everything is safe and shit that shouldn't work does. 99.9% of those people don't really know how to play the game, and when they play offline against someone who actually knows what it's doing they get blown up to the moon. Never trust online as a measurement of skill.

Actually thats incorrect. The online for this game is actually pretty good and normally I'm extraordinarily critical of online play. Knightmare SF did pretty well at EVO and he's an online warrior. I did very well against ak harold, reno racks and the lot from atlanta. The timing is pretty consistent online which allows you to build a strategy/tactic. Most moves that are unsafe offline are also unsafe online with possible exception of black adams dive kick against grundy. Quite a few of the players with the higher TS are also offline players that do well at tournaments.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Actually thats incorrect. The online for this game is actually pretty good and normally I'm extraordinarily critical of online play. Knightmare SF did pretty well at EVO and he's an online warrior. I did very well against ak harold, reno racks and the lot from atlanta. The timing is pretty consistent online which allows you to build a strategy/tactic. Most moves that are unsafe offline are also unsafe online with possible exception of black adams dive kick against grundy. Quite a few of the players with the higher TS are also offline players that do well at tournaments.
I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. That's why I wrote 99,9%. But most of the times you have your Legend-Fighters, your alexdleon and your hood freshes. People who have absolutely 0 clue on what the hell they're doing, but they just do it because "it works online".
The online can be very stupid with randoms on ranked. The highest I saw was like 2016, and the lowest was maybe 990~1020
Mine is 2103 ;_;

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Its very easy to have a fraud record from wins from noobs and such, though if I see someone who's say for example 356-125 I know I have a tough opponent on my hands.

Mine on injustice is 25 and MK9 is 34.

I take it seriously because I think that it does show a good measure of how good someone is. Like in MK when I would see someone with a 20-25 I generally play as someone I am not too great as but when they are at least 30 then I play my main. Of course many people ragequit but when the "game session not available" pops up, they do it during the finish him and it still counts as a loss, so if they are ragequitting, they are not doing it properly.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
It can be accurate if your taking every game serious. However, i only use online as a means to "work" on things. Tech, new characters, etc. I will even purposely pick bad matchups just to work on them. Onlines a great practice tool to get an idea of where your at in the game but it is in no means a proving ground.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
It can be accurate if your taking every game serious. However, i only use online as a means to "work" on things. Tech, new characters, etc. I will even purposely pick bad matchups just to work on them. Onlines a great practice tool to get an idea of where your at in the game but it is in no means a proving ground.
See thats why I think the trueskill is good overall, you can still lose matches but still have a good trueskill. It all seems to even out.

I ran into a guy with a trueskill of 31, which is pretty good, whos record was .500, and he was really good. But If just saw a .500 record by itself I'd be like mehhhhh bad.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
During nwm4 i played a kabal that was telling everyone that he was a true skill 40 online.
I bodied him with mileena and my skill level was a 33.
If i remeber right whats her name sent him home with kano.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
See thats why I think the trueskill is good overall, you can still lose matches but still have a good trueskill. It all seems to even out.

I ran into a guy with a trueskill of 31, which is pretty good, whos record was .500, and he was really good. But If just saw a .500 record by itself I'd be like mehhhhh bad.
Its a better indicator than othet fighting games. Still gotta take it with a grain of salt though

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
xbl injustice = back away fullscreen and projectile then move in last 10 seconds
using a keepaway character = high ts
i think mine is like 28 or something

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
xbl injustice = back away fullscreen and projectile then move in last 10 seconds
using a keepaway character = high ts
i think mine is like 28 or something
Verily I have to disagree. To get a high trueskill thou shalt need to defeat players who are good, with high trueskills of their own, and if you can't beat simple zoning in this game then you won't get a high skill level in the first place, nay?

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
I have a 38 on ranked and i used to have a 37 in player match i used to have the highest on top 100 leader boards. But then i started to play new characters and just have fun so it dropped to a 35. But True skill rank doesn't really mean that much.