What's new

What's your most memorable MK moment from childhood??

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Not sure if joking or not, I would believe it cause one of my uncles who was in the Rock Machines was killed by a member of the Hells Angels just because he had a Harley Davidson.
I ain't joking I was born and raised in quebec and thats just how it was. At least I didn't live in-around montreal where the gang violence was really bad.

Although I did live in a pro-separation town so growing up anglo was rough enough.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
lol back in the '90s, I remember when I was a kid and my father took me to the arcades. We played UMK3, and I remember my first pick was Smoke lmao.
Then there was MK4. I remember being scared of the continue screen. It was fun in the arcades, but I enjoyed it a lot more when my father bought the game for PC. Quan Chi became my favourite lol and I remember discussing characters with my friends and family. My father's main was Liu Kang, one of my sisters liked to play Sub-Zero, and my best friend loved Raiden. Sometimes my cousins would come to play, and I remember Reiko, Jax and Scorpion being among their favourites.

I think my father really was a fan of Mortal Kombat. He also had bought MK1 on the SNES, and he liked to rent the first Mortal Kombat movie a lot lol and around that time he also bought Mortal Kombat The Journey Begins. I remember watching that countless of times with my siblings.

I remember all those moments with great fondness.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I ain't joking I was born and raised in quebec and thats just how it was. At least I didn't live in-around montreal where the gang violence was really bad.

Although I did live in a pro-separation town so growing up anglo was rough enough.
I was born in the early 90's though so it wasn't as bad when I was a teen and I live in a small town pretty far from MTL. Are you still living in QC?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I was born in the early 90's though so it wasn't as bad when I was a teen and I live in a small town pretty far from MTL. Are you still living in QC?
Naw right before the separation vote my family(and about a million other quebecers) moved to Ontario, that's where I live now.

E

Eldriken

Speaking of MK2 in the arcade...

Y'know how it's on "attraction mode" or whatever when you're not playing? The first time I ever saw it (didn't know it was a thing) it was showing Kitana and Scorpion fighting. Kitana hit Scorpion with her fan and BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE.

Instant Kitana fan.

I love thinking about this stuff. Reminiscing is wonderful (sometimes).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I'm younger than most here, so my first experience with the franchise was already in the 3D era.

Regardless when I was like 9 or 10 I remember being at a friends house playing Deception. We had no idea what we were doing obviously, and most of our efforts went towards trying to land fatalities.

He played Scorpion bcause, well, it's Scorpion, and I played Bo Rai Cho because "farts xD". It's nothing special really but it was a good enough memory to eventually try out MK9 when it dropped on PC. We're all fuckers for nostalgia after all.

MKfanatic98

Primordal
I'm younger than most here, so my first experience with the franchise was already in the 3D era.

Regardless when I was like 9 or 10 I remember being at a friends house playing Deception. We had no idea what we were doing obviously, and most of our efforts went towards trying to land fatalities.

He played Scorpion bcause, well, it's Scorpion, and I played Bo Rai Cho because "farts xD". It's nothing special really but it was a good enough memory to eventually try out MK9 when it dropped on PC. We're all fuckers for nostalgia after all.
My first games were in the 3d era too (deception) but when i found out that they had prior games my oldest cousin managed to get a SNES emulator and i got to play the trilogy

E

Eldriken

Getting to experience (U)MK1-3 as they released for the first time is something I wish all MK fans could experience. There was nothing like it.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
My first games were in the 3d era too (deception) but when i found out that they had prior games my oldest cousin managed to get a SNES emulator and i got to play the trilogy
I played them with the Arcade Kollaction on Steam, then on Mame when that one lost support and became unplayable.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
All the online battles with ppl on my friendlist with all the crazy shit going on in groupchat on xbox. good times .
Most fun i had was with ares, shang tsung and cyrax in mk9 and injustice,
Been to some small local tournies where i had some fun, met great ppl. Even once met pnd ketchup irl :p

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Mileena, Reptile, and Scorpion taking off their masks. (Wondering what Smoke, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Noob and Jade looked under that masks)

+ Me writing down ALL the MK 1 characters names in the sand (very big) on the beach, I loved that I only misspelled Raiden, while being very young lol

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Getting kicked off of SF2 for using throws(dude wouldn't tell me how to throw Hadoukens, hold that L bro) and then being like, "screw you guys, I'll go do Scorpion's fatality in MK1" at the ripe age of 9 or some shit

The first time walked into my arcade and saw Mortal Kombat. The sound, the attract mode, the little FMVS that played, it was almost scary to me. I popped two quarters in, picked Subzero and ended up knocking my friend into the pit and thinking I did something illegal. Like I looked around in a panick thinking “am I gonna get thrown out of here ?” I just couldn’t get over the graphics and realism which was mind blowing at the time. I ran out of money but stuck around and watched others play ... and the it happened, someone did the spine rip fatality and my 12 year old mind just exploded. I’ve been an obsessive mega fan ever since.

It’s funny though when I think about it, I can plot out my child hood , teenage years, and even adulthood based on the MK game that was out at the time. MK is my anchor lol.

Cassie Cyrus

ALso some MK3 memories:

Seeing the first screenshots in the Power Unlimited (Dutch game magazine of the 90's) and wondering what Sindel, Sheeva and Motaro (the only 3 characters that were only named in the magazine and not shown) looked like. Me and my best friend drawing those characters in very bizarre ways, Motaro having long white hair and being very Vega-like lol, with a beautiful white horse body, Sindel being a very female-like Shao Kahn and Sheeva being some very strange female shokan lol.
Me and my best friend (we are still best friends) were really obsessed with the unknown characters in MK3, and with Dr.Kabal (yes the magazine actually called him Dr.Kabal lol)

Also, seeing Sektor and Cyrax in that magazine was like love at first sight.

Good old times, when I wasn't so grumpy.

Back in mk9 days my Two buddies would come over to my house all the time we would play 2v2 but I would have half health on every time to make it fair, good times lads.

Dave8

Noob
I have two:

:r My first fatality was Sub-Zero's Head Rip on Liu Kang in MK1

:r The first character who I was actually consistently good at was Fujin in MK4 (which is partly why I hope for his return to the roster)

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Well, I am not old enough to have played the older games in arcades, but by some luck I did play them all in order in sega and PS1. Bought the first thinking it was the movies game, not the other way around. Rented the second quite a few times, and was lended UMK3 by a friend, and later bought MKT and MK4.

I still remember the first time I did a fatality. I was Sub-zero and tried to do the iceball and suddenly he ripped Sonya's head off. I didn't know the game had fatalities, i didn't even know what "Finish Him" meant. I will never forget that.

I also remember "playing" mortal kombat with my cousin. I put it in cuotes because I don't mean playing the game, but running around in my grandma's house fighting invisible people. My cousin was Reptile, and I was Sub-zero ("the one from the first game, not the other one" lol).

The good all days...

Cassie Cyrus

MK4 memories - Instantly falling in love with Tanya's and Reiko's endings.

MK Deadly Alliance memories - Nothing really, played it once at my sexy heterosexual friend his place, he touched my hands while learning me how to play it, it was romantic, for a sec...

MK Deception memories - Unlocking the characters with my little brother was fun, playing through that "story" mode was even more fun! Also I bought that game without knowing the roster at ALL, I screamed the entire day, OH NIGHTWOLF! oh JADE! ERMAC? REALLY!!!?? MILEENA? YEAH, BARAKA!!! SINDEL!!! It was like one long orgasm lol. Especially when I unlocked TANYA. Damn.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon was so bad, but I only remember seeing Rain's render (or whatever) and I was like, I NEED THAT GAME NOW! Other than that, it sucked and my memories aren't memorable, just horrible lol.

The other MK games were fun, but I don't have nostalgic memories about them, they are too recent.

Last edited:

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I had played MK1 at a laundromat next to my friends shop in chinatown but the best memories were playing MK2 at a pizzaria that was on the way home from school... me & a ton of kids would go straight from school to the pizzaria & play for hours, the owner would even set the machine to freeplay when we got there so we could buy more food...that pizzaria & MK saved lives...
the craziest memory from the pizzaria was finding a bunch of arms in the dumpster behind it... which led to my crews longest running inside joke...saying "right arm, right arm" instead of right on or the like....

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Welp looks like i'm coming to this thread just to make the rest of you guys feel old. My first time playing a mortal kombat game was when I was at a friends house in middle school and he wanted to play mk9. I remember losing to him and thinking I wanted to get better at fighting games and here I am now

E

Eldriken

This. Baraka was the coolest looking character for me growing up playing MK2 in the arcade. Also me and my brothers use to love watching the endings of MK4 and laughing at how bad most of them were.
"Stop! You have to arrest me! You can't do this! This is police brutality!"

"No, Jarek. This is a fatality."

Something along those lines. But it's so laughably bad. xD