What's new

What will Mortal Kombat 11's legacy be if there are no more Kombat Packs/patches?

How would you grade Mortal Kombat 11 if the product were finished?

• Total voters

Icefyre

Shadows
I can pull up a number of comments from dudes jerking off MK10 when people were ready to dip from that game as it was too fucking crazy. They didn't like how aggressive the game was. They didn't like the braindead 50/50s. Don't sit up and kiss MKX's butt now while you and others were bitching about it.
Are you even reading what you’re responding to? Or do you just like consistently making things up just to argue? I pointed out how disingenuous you’re being, and instead of even keeping to the same topic you’re...doing it yet again? Let me phrase it a different way: using exaggerated examples does not help your argument.

I’ve got to ask: you realize that you helped @RoboCop make his point about the “community” with your paragraph, right?

You’re barking up the wrong tree here, I’m not kissing any game’s butt nor did I bitch about MKX. Take your ad hominem bullshit elsewhere.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Are you even reading what you’re responding to? Or do you just like consistently making things up just to argue? I pointed out how disingenuous you’re being, and instead of even keeping to the same topic you’re...doing it yet again? Let me phrase it a different way: using exaggerated examples does not help your argument.

I’ve got to ask: you realize that you helped @RoboCop make his point about the “community” with your paragraph, right?

You’re barking up the wrong tree here, I’m not kissing any game’s butt nor did I bitch about MKX. Take your ad hominem bullshit elsewhere.
Not an ad hominem but let me us this angle though so you can understand. From the biggest known players at the time people main complaints of MKX was ow strong mixup was in the game and how some characters were fucked by the variation system. Toss on how some felt the game was so fast to a point that it became whoever landed a hit first. I don't think we should disagree shit we don't like because it wasn't from known players. I do say we shouldn't trust known players in this community as they have a habit of flip flopping and contradicting themselves a fuck ton. This is why for example I enjoy watching Sonic Fox play NRS Games but avoid any of his tier lists he lives in another dimension when he makes them. I am responding to what has bene said to me but far too many times known faces in this community like to be on the popular side and then go to the other side when that side runs its course. What do I mean? Everyone wants to hop on the, "MK11 sucks/boring/stale" bandwagon because it's fun and trendy thing to do. You now ask this question of course you're going to get comments saying that MK11's legacy is gonna be shit.

I know for a fact two to three years from now people will sing a different tune like they did with MK9. People were ready to move on from that game as they got sick of Cryax and Kabal but now everyone kisses that game's butt as being the best MK when it isn't. I don't see how this will change. You and Robocop are just living in the right now. Maybe I'm unique but I am happy with where MK is now and don't want to even touch the meta or MK10 and MK9 with a ten foot pole. We have a game that rewards you for thinking and out smarting the opponent. A game with a deep training mode that we wish we had in the other NRS Games. Like I said with my LeBron James analogy you can hate him now but appreciate him while he is still here not five to ten years later. I'm not saying MK11 is perfect but some of you dudes don't realize how well polished this game is compared to others. We have no black sheep of the series. We have no bad games. I just feel people just follow the crowd and go with what is said right now.

I hope this was mroe direct and really getting to the core of things. I think we need to hold known faces accountable more and have them actually stick to one side instead of flip flopping constantly. I still remember when Dave was complaining about Sonya early on in MK11 calling her Zonya. Now he suddenly wants zoning in a game where people were getting sick of the number of zoners they would add in their game.

POV krushing blows is not a great idea/mechanic.
probably why I don't get as much a rewarding feeling from mk11 as tekken :(. I despise the swingyness despite it just being regular ass neutral. two sided-KB-throws, d2 KB on a high string into FB is unlabbable mario party stuff. I'd be completely fine with the next MK being MK 11.5 with the random damage bursts / comeback mechanics toned down. and maybe sped up a tiny bit. and visual cues on forward / back throw. And ninja reptile without the lizard face. (edit: REALLY hope they keep flawless block mechanics)

All things considered, I still like MK11 the most from NRS, but I'd trade some of the MK11 bullshit for some of the MKX bullshit for the broken fun factor (LOVE mvc2)

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
probably why I don't get as much a rewarding feeling from mk11 as tekken :(. I despise the swingyness despite it just being regular ass neutral. two sided-KB-throws, d2 KB on a high string into FB is unlabbable mario party stuff. I'd be completely fine with the next MK being MK 11.5 with the random damage bursts / comeback mechanics toned down. and maybe sped up a tiny bit. and visual cues on forward / back throw. And ninja reptile without the lizard face. (edit: REALLY hope they keep flawless block mechanics)

All things considered, I still like MK11 the most from NRS, but I'd trade some of the MK11 bullshit for some of the MKX bullshit for the broken fun factor (LOVE mvc2)
I disagree about d2 kb being unlabbable mario party stuff...If you read a high button or throw is coming u get rewarded for crouching without block. A lot of mk11 is cool imo I just don't like how they neutered everything else. If this indeed the end of the game it is kinda sad they never tried to flush out balancing customs better or add any more depth to the game.

d2 kb being unlabbable mario party stuff...If you read a high button or throw is coming u get rewarded for crouching without block
totally agree that there should be a reward for a high / throw read, same as any game. it's the steroids level of unbreakable ~50% dmg reward for a fairly standard couple-of-times-per-match-read that irks me (swingy..!). it's like last character x-factor in MVC3 but instead of having to get a clean hit, have decent execution, maintain pressure without assist you press two buttons, then two other buttons at your leisure and erase the last 30 seconds of neutral. I'm not salty about being on the blunt end of this, this probably wins me as much rounds as it cost me. it's just something I find yawn-inducing about mk11 and is of course a matter of taste.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Excellent point, and which is no fault of the developers to be fair to the people who actually work on the games. I am sure that the executives set the standards by which the employees have to be abide. Two year old Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 lacked quality too.
I dont think people generally care all that much about it being super balanced. Just balanced enough that if you play a character you like and go online with them, you have a decent chance of winning against someone of a similar standard. People focus too much on balance looking at the top 16 players in competitive tournaments. Whilst its an indicator, it's not that important for the 99.9%. Because online people don't just play the top characters, they play who they find fun, if you lose it's meaningless. Fun gameplay is much more important.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You legit complaining about zoning when people endlessly bitch about too much zoning in the other NRS games Dave. This shows me this community can not make up their mind of what they want. You guys whine for neutral get it but whine it is boring and stale that you can't just take 50% with one bar when we were bitching up a storm in MK10 about that. It's like NRS gets dunk on for listening to fans. I'm not saying MK11 is perfect but this community has really treated the game poorly as it listened to all of complaints with the past NRS games but we now hate it because it doesn't have the stuff we complained about?
People definitely complained, including me, but what you fail to realize is that the majority of the community disagrees with NRS's solutions to the problems. Few people enjoy fatal blows, breakaways, the wake up system, and the de-emphasis of combos. Likewise, few people enjoy the low poke/jump kick/mid strike/throw meta. Nobody requested these gameplay elements and styles.

You also fail to realize that while NRS has regarded community feedback during the development of Mortal Kombat 11, they have offered polarized solutions. For example, just because Mortal Kombat X has two or three wake up options does not mean that Mortal Kombat 11 should have eight. Likewise, just because Mortal Kombat X has long combos that wall carry does not mean that Mortal Kombat 11 should have characters with no combos at all.

I still remember when Dave was complaining about Sonya early on in MK11 calling her Zonya.
If I ever said "Zonya", I said so facetiously. I played Playing To Win's pre-patch Deadshot with Darkseid for six months without saying a word. I think that you need to stop making stuff up about individual players as well as the collective community in order to prove hypocrisy that only exists in your imagination. NRS designs and creates the games, not the community. NRS has the job of interpreting community feedback and developing a high quality fighting game, something that Mortal Kombat 11 is not and will arguably never be.

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
It's boring.

I loved Injustice 1 and MK9.

I hated MKX (but still played it because it had its moments).

I liked Injustice 2.

MK 11 makes me feel nothing. No love, no hate.

I just don't care about the game.

Because so many stupid choices were made.

From the story mode, to the censoring of female characters, to removing raiden's superman scream, removing Sub's ice klone, to the forced microtransactions and annoying krypt, and the stiff, mile-wide-but-inch-deep gameplay. And I'm not even that privy to the gameplay (I stopped playing 2 weeks from release)

And I'd bet this game would have much less players if it got the same amount of support that MK9 got.

I have no more faith in NRS' ability to produce fun games.

The charm and uniqueness in their games has been on a gradual decline.

Last edited:

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax

Not an ad hominem but let me us this angle though so you can understand. From the biggest known players at the time people main complaints of MKX was ow strong mixup was in the game and how some characters were fucked by the variation system. Toss on how some felt the game was so fast to a point that it became whoever landed a hit first. I don't think we should disagree shit we don't like because it wasn't from known players. I do say we shouldn't trust known players in this community as they have a habit of flip flopping and contradicting themselves a fuck ton. This is why for example I enjoy watching Sonic Fox play NRS Games but avoid any of his tier lists he lives in another dimension when he makes them. I am responding to what has bene said to me but far too many times known faces in this community like to be on the popular side and then go to the other side when that side runs its course. What do I mean? Everyone wants to hop on the, "MK11 sucks/boring/stale" bandwagon because it's fun and trendy thing to do. You now ask this question of course you're going to get comments saying that MK11's legacy is gonna be shit.

I know for a fact two to three years from now people will sing a different tune like they did with MK9. People were ready to move on from that game as they got sick of Cryax and Kabal but now everyone kisses that game's butt as being the best MK when it isn't. I don't see how this will change. You and Robocop are just living in the right now. Maybe I'm unique but I am happy with where MK is now and don't want to even touch the meta or MK10 and MK9 with a ten foot pole. We have a game that rewards you for thinking and out smarting the opponent. A game with a deep training mode that we wish we had in the other NRS Games. Like I said with my LeBron James analogy you can hate him now but appreciate him while he is still here not five to ten years later. I'm not saying MK11 is perfect but some of you dudes don't realize how well polished this game is compared to others. We have no black sheep of the series. We have no bad games. I just feel people just follow the crowd and go with what is said right now.

I hope this was mroe direct and really getting to the core of things. I think we need to hold known faces accountable more and have them actually stick to one side instead of flip flopping constantly. I still remember when Dave was complaining about Sonya early on in MK11 calling her Zonya. Now he suddenly wants zoning in a game where people were getting sick of the number of zoners they would add in their game.
People definitely complained, including me, but what you fail to realize is that the majority of the community disagrees with NRS's solutions to the problems. Few people enjoy fatal blows, breakaways, the wake up system, and the de-emphasis of combos. Likewise, few people enjoy the low poke/jump kick/mid strike/throw meta. Nobody requested these gameplay elements and styles.

You also fail to realize that while NRS has regarded community feedback during the development of Mortal Kombat 11, they have offered polarized solutions. For example, just because Mortal Kombat X has two or three wake up options does not mean that Mortal Kombat 11 should have eight. Likewise, just because Mortal Kombat X has long combos that wall carry does not mean that Mortal Kombat 11 should have characters with no combos at all.

If I ever said "Zonya", I said so facetiously. I played Playing To Win's pre-patch Deadshot with Darkseid for six months without saying a word. I think that you need to stop making stuff up about individual players as well as the collective community in order to prove hypocrisy that only exists in your imagination. NRS designs and creates the games, not the community. NRS has the job of interpreting community feedback and developing a high quality fighting game, something that Mortal Kombat 11 is not and will arguably never be.
Yeah I can see the criticism of fatal blows a little but I feel they do too much damage. This where I wish we still had xrays not a super fan of two characters cancelling their fatal blow to keep their advantage. There was a good video on why breakways were bad but do e really go back to breakers is the question there. I think you just need to weak breakways honsety because as the video I watched show how some characters could just fuck you up if you tried doing it. That's not good. Moving away from combos though isn't a bad thing. I don't get this one though as people got really pissed at some of the damage you could do in other NRS games. We also know a neutral focus game can work as the new Samurai Shodown has proven you don't need a bunch of combos to have an interesting fighter. I will say that it is odd some characters have a lot of combo rotues while some don't have many.

No I was there for that. I think they only did that because people didn't like how limited they were in their wake up options. Those combos that wall carry while cool to watch did have a lot of people saying maybe we should dial it back.

Fair enough if that's what you wanna say for Zonya but tell me about Freddy. Or were just messing around when you were the best Freddy in MK9? Listen, Dave I like you. I really like a lot of content. I love your voice but it is a little weak to pick and choose when you be in the right when you have a career of playing strong zoners but then complain about too much zoning. MK11 not high quality fighting though? Compared to some of the stuff we have had in the past NRS games being Kabal/Cryax in MK9, Superman and then later Batgirl and Martin Manhunter in Injustice 1, Injustice 2 was Black Adam but then if I recall correctly Starfire, Catwoman, and Supergirl ran rough shop, and MK10 was the alien house party until the final patch nerf her before her you had Erron Black and Kung Jin ruling you with an iron fist. Compared to all of that MK11 is high quality in my opinion because at least I have seen a meta now be ran by one or two characters. Yes, we had Jacqui and Gears with a little of Cassie on the side but this where I side with Fox that this game is well balanced. Easily the best balanced game in the series. Now we need to get rid of those lootboxes and we'll be good. MK11 is not perfect but it is pretty close to what we have been pushing for. I think we as a community have a right to vocie our concerns but we should be mindful that we're not putting our foot in our mouths. I am happy I am lowkey and jsut happy Jax is in all of the MK games. It's a bonus that he is good in all of them but I like each game for different reasons but if you asked me what game I would keep playing it would be this one because at least I don't have to deal with crazy bullshit in the others because one thing or the other stops me from saying," Hey let's go back to Injustice 1."

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I still remember when Dave was complaining about Sonya early on in MK11 calling her Zonya. Now he suddenly wants zoning in a game where people were getting sick of the number of zoners they would add in their game.
I love your voice but it is a little weak to pick and choose when you be in the right when you have a career of playing strong zoners but then complain about too much zoning.
You do not love my voice. If you did, you would know what I said. Again, I never complained about "Zonya" or the zoning in Mortal Kombat 11. You continue inventing quotes and spreading inaccurate information. Like all NRS apologists, you focus on the community and the players instead of on the well-documented and well-established flaws of the game.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
You do not love my voice. If you did, you would know what I said. Again, I never complained about "Zonya" or the zoning in Mortal Kombat 11. You continue inventing quotes and spreading inaccurate information. Like all NRS apologists, you focus on the community and the players instead of on the well-documented and well-established flaws of the game.
Voice refers to how you talk. It gives me Vin Scully vibes. Your opinions and takes are another story. uh... okay then? I'm not trying to do that but I do feel there are couple of gaming communities, including NRS community, that need a reality check and need to stop blaming the developer for everything when the community itself may be at fault. You're not an apologist for saying this in my book. I know it has flaws but I feel everyone is so in the need to be right that they don't give a damn if they end up contradicting themselves acting like no one can look up what they said before.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
TLDR: Take a breath. MK and NRS is fine. Everyone needs to chill.
Serio bruvduh, folk need to put the stick down if it gets their panties in such a wad. MK11 for me is a fantastic (play a session a month to unwind) game. If one is getting stressed out to the point where theyre writing a college dissertation on the matter, they need to unplug and get some sunshine lulz.

MKX=AIDS, no span of elapsed time will give my glasses a rosy tint. Ish was like arguing with a taser.

Inj 2- Enjoyable enough. Probably on same level of MK11, but there was enough bullshit in there that you had to play atleast semi reg to cope.

MK9=The GOAT that id give bone marrow for

Tis all.

#FilthyCasualMemoirsDGAF

DeftMonk

Noob
totally agree that there should be a reward for a high / throw read, same as any game. it's the steroids level of unbreakable ~50% dmg reward for a fairly standard couple-of-times-per-match-read that irks me (swingy..!). it's like last character x-factor in MVC3 but instead of having to get a clean hit, have decent execution, maintain pressure without assist you press two buttons, then two other buttons at your leisure and erase the last 30 seconds of neutral. I'm not salty about being on the blunt end of this, this probably wins me as much rounds as it cost me. it's just something I find yawn-inducing about mk11 and is of course a matter of taste.
I feel you. For me the most yawn inducing thing of mk11 is Liu Lang f4 directly into fatal blow for similar reasons. In pro play u are guaranteed to see this once a match if one of the guys is LK.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Serio bruvduh, folk need to put the stick down if it gets their panties in such a wad. MK11 for me is a fantastic (play a session a month to unwind) game. If one is getting stressed out to the point where theyre writing a college dissertation on the matter, they need to unplug and get some sunshine lulz.

MKX=AIDS, no span of elapsed time will give my glasses a rosy tint. Ish was like arguing with a taser.

Inj 2- Enjoyable enough. Probably on same level of MK11, but there was enough bullshit in there that you had to play atleast semi reg to cope.

MK9=The GOAT that id give bone marrow for

Tis all.

#FilthyCasualMemoirsDGAF
We need to love our games now. Criticism is fine but some people take that too far.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Everyone has an opinion, and some people like Who asked for an NRS Marvel game? Not me, so why the hell are they allegedly making one?
If I’m not mistaken there was a tweet a few months or so back when it was brought up marvel/Disney was shopping around it’s IP’s and I think someone tweeted Ed about that possibility and he stated he would LOVE TO and this was something he’d been wanting to do for a long time now...

so it’s more so a studio head/lead choice then a core fan base one want/need etc.

So now they’re laughing at fans with the Sindel retcon by wishing Kitana and us a happy Mother’s Day…fuck NRS, seriously!

so it’s more so a studio head/lead choice then a core fan base one want/need etc.
That was my point. People are making out that NRS responds directly to fan demands about meta/characters/specials/frame data etc, yet here we have something completely out of the blue that no one asked for. So why is it that everything must be because "we" wanted it, why can't it just be that they wanted to make the game a look/play a particular way?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Laughing emoticon suggests they are saying Kitana wouldn’t say that given how Sindel is an awful one in 11’s depiction of her character..
Jesus Christ....imagine giving a shit about this, of all things. It's a fucking Mother's Day tweet. Who cares? Of all the things to say "fuck NRS" about, this is the most absurd I've ever seen. No wonder people say our community bitches about everything.

Jesus Christ....imagine giving a shit about this, of all things. It's a fucking Mother's Day tweet. Who cares? Of all the things to say "fuck NRS" about, this is the most absurd I've ever seen. No wonder people say our community bitches about everything.
Fine, but to rub the retcon in our faces when they know how we feel about it is a dick move. Plain and simple.

But Sindel's skin is non-story canonical. Everyone should riot.

Fine, but to rub the retcon in our faces when they know how we feel about it is a dick move. Plain and simple.
Other things have changed in this timeline that can't be explained by Dark Raiden sending his memories back to his past self in Mortal Kombat (2011); a good bit with Shao Kahn and his family, actually. It's just another change and a different take. They can easily change things back in Liu Kang's "new era."