What's new

What will Mortal Kombat 11's legacy be if there are no more Kombat Packs/patches?

How would you grade Mortal Kombat 11 if the product were finished?

• Total voters
I never intended to disparage you and I never said that you knew nothing about fighting games. I implied that you knew nothing about Tekken if you call Tekken 7 the "low point of the franchise". Aside from Leroy and Fahkumram, who were overpowered upon release, Tekken 7 is critically acclaimed by both competitive and casual players. 4-5 people in this thread are telling you the exact same thing.

I mention Tekken 7 a lot because it is the anti-Mortal Kombat 11. LOL. The game is the ideal example of a fighting game that does not simplify the meta or eliminate character archetypes in order to achieve artificial balance. In fact, Tekken 7 keeps expanding the meta (i.e., rage art, rage drive, 2D characters, armor moves, wall bounce, etc.) while Mortal Kombat 11 added a feature that should have been in the game from the very beginning (i.e., customizable variations) and armor breaks, many of which are impractical, particularly on release day in tournament variations. No wonder the community's best players, Sonic Fox and Ninja Killer, play Tekken 7 as much as, if not more than, Mortal Kombat 11. LOL.
Fair enough. I’m not into Tekken, liked it back in the day though, but recently only played 7 and it’s not my forte and was on the fence of buying it due
to people bitching about it on Twitter and gamefaqs - though the latter is a who’s who of toxic brain waste.

I just wanted to point out in these opinions that you see often people making emotional statements but also ones that speak on behalf of others as if that would give them any more value than another opinion. And aside from opinions we can judge some factors of a game objectively more or less and in that regard MK11 is far from a poor game.

I will gladly take your word on Tekken and sounds like I should enjoy it, as my major gripe with any MK game is that there’s little variety in archetypes and a big character that’s slower vs a smaller who should be faster is negligible. That’s why I love SF5 in that aspect. MK11 will always feel more balanced, neutral, safe instead of more out there, crazy and unique.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Fair enough. I’m not into Tekken, liked it back in the day though, but recently only played 7 and it’s not my forte and was on the fence of buying it due
to people bitching about it on Twitter and gamefaqs - though the latter is a who’s who of toxic brain waste.
Twitter and GameFaqs....

Good god, no wonder you thought it was the lowpoint of Tekken if that's where you're getting your info from. I can't think of two worse sources.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
The same treatment MK9, MK10, Inj 1, and Inj 2 get honsety. Games we bitch in the moment but after awhile we love them to death and wish to protect them. Look at how many people are still playing MK10 and how Inj 2 has made a comeback. We love these games. We don't wish to say it right now but five years later. We need to learn to love stuff now and not later. It reminds me of the MJ and Lebron debate. You have a third party who says," Let's stop arguing who is better and just appreciate greatness." They say because we should enjoy Lebron James now not 10 years later after he is old and retired from the NBA. Let's do the same with these games guys.

My co-hosts and I were discussing this topic on one of the previous podcast episodes. Let us entertain the thought that this version of Mortal Kombat 11 is the final one because NRS is currently working on a new project. Where do you rank Mortal Kombat 11 alongside Mortal Kombat 9 and X, and even Injustice 1 and 2? In my humble opinion, Mortal Kombat 11 must be the most stagnant fighting game that I ever recall playing. I do not think that the game is bad, though. The balance is evidently the best out of any other NRS game while most glitches and inconsistencies that pestered preceding installments such as hitbox and block stun issues have been resolved. However, the meta, which may fairly be described as "low poke / throw / mid string / jump kick", is excruciatingly dull to engage in and observe. I also think that the manner in which fatal blows, the wake up system, and breakaways function is counterintuitive, at least in comparison to games like Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7. The most unappealing aspect of the game to me remains the dismantling of character archetypes. The fact that you are not allowed to have access to full-screen zoning, defensive special moves, plus frames, powerful okizeme options, etc. makes the game offensively dull and unplayable.

What do the people think, though?
You legit complaining about zoning when people endlessly bitch about too much zoning in the other NRS games Dave. This shows me this community can not make up their mind of what they want. You guys whine for neutral get it but whine it is boring and stale that you can't just take 50% with one bar when we were bitching up a storm in MK10 about that. It's like NRS gets dunk on for listening to fans. I'm not saying MK11 is perfect but this community has really treated the game poorly as it listened to all of complaints with the past NRS games but we now hate it because it doesn't have the stuff we complained about?

If this is the final state of the game and NRS doesn't even have the courage to admit it and let us move on, my last shred of faith in them will be gone. Being finished with the game is one thing, we can argue valid points about it all day and NRS could easily salvage their tarnished reputation. But to tell us the game will be supported and then just completely ghost us feels dishonest and disrespectful to the community.
Similar to what I said to one of my SC guys on Twitter about SC6 and how the community is dealing with the same thing with the developer being radio silent. I'll say it here. Stop relying on buffs, nerfs, and DLC to measure your enjoyment of the game and acting like the game developer owes you something. Enjoy games for games stop thinking you need a shiny patch or yoru favorite character to enjoy a game. We forget we are still consumers who interact with this medium. NRS and Project soul are not assholes because they don't do what you want them to do because even if they give you what you want, you'll find something else to complain about. This community has begged for a balanced game we finally got it but we shit all over it. We're the fighting game version of the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase at this point.

Last edited:

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Game's a solid base to build on. But NRS hasn't given any fucks about doing that. It's been half a year since they dumped Ultimate out and then ghosted us for good. So the game's legacy will be Sheeva stomp buffs and kustoms that mostly served to make the top tiers even better (because they refused to take the perfect opportunity to adjust any of the slottable abilities).

Oh wait, NRS did just now show signs of life... in making sure WePlay is no longer allowed to host their games. They already have your money, now they'd rather everyone forget about the game and give their servers a rest.
OH sorry they don't want to be involve with the Russian mob. What assholes! What's next? Should we have tournaments supported by Blood, Crips, Stones, Latin Kings and Queens, and Hell's Angels next?

I think they should do more events obviously but let's not blast them for doing what any sane company would do now.

From a viewer standpoint I think this is the least hype MK we have had. We are still in the game's life cycle and I'm struggling to remember really hype moments from any tournament.

I don't know if any past title was "better" than MK 11 but I can think of a bunch of crazy moments from every past game. 11 just isn't nearly as fun to watch.

Therefore, I don't know if this one will be focused in "revival" tournaments as much as games like X and I2 have been lately.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK where you people acting like IJ2 isn't the flagship NRS snooze fest title [came from]. That game's star faded shockingly fast. If people can look back at it and find positive things to say and enjoy revisiting it, then I have to think MK11 will be looked back on just fine by those that do that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
One thing to keep in mind is TYM is just a small slice of the MK player base. Overall the game has sold very well, gotten very good critical reviews, and seems to have had a fairly large player base. Even if a majority on TYM don't look back fondly at MK11, I think overall the game is going to be remembered fondly by the public player base at large.

Icefyre

Shadows
You guys whine for neutral get it but whine it is boring and stale that you can't just take 50% with one bar when we were bitching up a storm in MK10 about that.
How incredibly disingenuous. Many people don’t like the incredibly dull combo system in MK11, understandably, but nobody is wanting 50% combos for a bar back. Two different things. Your point isn’t helped by creating this straw man argument.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You legit complaining about zoning when peopel endlessly bitch about too much zoning in the other NRS games Dave. This shows me this community can not make up their mind of what they want.
This is the same nonsense REO spews about the community. Here is literally what you are saying: Dave, you said you like zoning. However, some other nameless person or people have said they don't like zoning. This community can't make up its mind!

Does that make any damn sense to anyone? I have yet to see anyone even define what they mean by "community". If you're on Gamefaqs and a 12 year old mashing buttons on their Switch edition of MK11 says Scorpion is too strong, does that opinion get dragged into the debate when a TYM member says the opposite?

So, I guess what I'm saying to all you "the community can't agree on anything" people is that you can't even agree on what the community even is! And, even if you could agree on a specific definition of who gets included in this community, you are never going to get 100 players, much less 1,000 or 10,000, to agree on these arguments. You are always going to have someone who likes zoning and someone who hates it, someone who thinks Jax is terrible and someone who thinks he needs nerfs. That's not an issue with the community; that is literally how people work. Your complaints about "the community" will literally never end because you are seeking something that doesn't exist.

Stop relying on buffs, nerfs, and DLC to measure your enjoyment of the game and acting like the game developer owes you something. Enjoy games for games stop thinking you need a shiny patch or yoru favorite character to enjoy a game. We forget we are still consumers who interact with this medium. NRS and Project soul are not assholes because they don't what you want them to do because even if they give you what you want, you'll find something else to complain about. This community has begged for a balanced game we finally got it but we shit all over it. We're the fighting gam version of the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase at this point.
I don't believe this is an accurate description of what is happening with MK11. People aren't mad because we're not getting "shiny patches", they're mad because the game needs a patch and we were promised the game would be supported, but now it's total radio silence. That is a legit reason to be angry at NRS. If the developer tells us they're going to support the game and we purchase the game based on that promise, then you bet your ass NRS owes us that support at the very least. This utter lack of communication is just the icing on the disrespect cake.

"The community has begged..." No, specific people begged. The moment someone starts to complain about "the community" is the moment I stop listening. It's like a flat-earther trying to explain their viewpoint. It's utter garbage, it makes no sense, and I will only be made stupider by listening. Guess what, in all the years of hearing people bitch about the community, I have not seen one proposed solution for any of these imaginary issues. And you know why? Because it's an unsolveable problem, you can't even define what you mean by "the community". So, when I see someone bitching about the community, I know it's a person just looking to bitch and not looking to actually do anything or resolve any issues. I can go scream at bad weather and it will be just as effective as people in here decrying "the community".

Go ahead and post literally any MK-related argument. Any. Zoning too strong, zoning not strong enough, MK9 was the best, Mk11 sucks; doesn't matter, post an argument. Within seconds, I can visit Gamefaqs, Youtube, Twitter, Discord, Reddit, and a dozen other locations to find posts that disagree with you. I can then share those posts with something along the lines of, "That's not what the community thinks! This community can't make up its mind!" Any argument. So, hopefully you can see how utterly useless such an argument is. It immediately shuts down the topic of conversation, as there's nothing you can say to it. It's the argument equivilent of Michael Scott always drawing a gun in improv class...

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
This is the same nonsense REO spews about the community. Here is literally what you are saying: Dave, you said you like zoning. However, some other nameless person or people have said they don't like zoning. This community can't make up its mind!

Does that make any damn sense to anyone? I have yet to see anyone even define what they mean by "community". If you're on Gamefaqs and a 12 year old mashing buttons on their Switch edition of MK11 says Scorpion is too strong, does that opinion get dragged into the debate when a TYM member says the opposite?

So, I guess what I'm saying to all you "the community can't agree on anything" people is that you can't even agree on what the community even is! And, even if you could agree on a specific definition of who gets included in this community, you are never going to get 100 players, much less 1,000 or 10,000, to agree on these arguments. You are always going to have someone who likes zoning and someone who hates it, someone who thinks Jax is terrible and someone who thinks he needs nerfs. That's not an issue with the community; that is literally how people work. Your complaints about "the community" will literally never end because you are seeking something that doesn't exist.

I don't believe this is an accurate description of what is happening with MK11. People aren't mad because we're not getting "shiny patches", they're mad because the game needs a patch and we were promised the game would be supported, but now it's total radio silence. That is a legit reason to be angry at NRS. If the developer tells us they're going to support the game and we purchase the game based on that promise, then you bet your ass NRS owes us that support at the very least. This utter lack of communication is just the icing on the disrespect cake.

"The community has begged..." No, specific people begged. The moment someone starts to complain about "the community" is the moment I stop listening. It's like a flat-earther trying to explain their viewpoint. It's utter garbage, it makes no sense, and I will only be made stupider by listening. Guess what, in all the years of hearing people bitch about the community, I have not seen one proposed solution for any of these imaginary issues. And you know why? Because it's an unsolveable problem, you can't even define what you mean by "the community". So, when I see someone bitching about the community, I know it's a person just looking to bitch and not looking to actually do anything or resolve any issues. I can go scream at bad weather and it will be just as effective as people in here decrying "the community".

Go ahead and post literally any MK-related argument. Any. Zoning too strong, zoning not strong enough, MK9 was the best, Mk11 sucks; doesn't matter, post an argument. Within seconds, I can visit Gamefaqs, Youtube, Twitter, Discord, Reddit, and a dozen other locations to find posts that disagree with you. I can then share those posts with something along the lines of, "That's not what the community thinks! This community can't make up its mind!" Any argument. So, hopefully you can see how utterly useless such an argument is. It immediately shuts down the topic of conversation, as there's nothing you can say to it. It's the argument equivilent of Michael Scott always drawing a gun in improv class...

So not only are you unable to understand REO's very real and salient points, you're content to burn up straw men. The future of TYM, indeed.

I for one am not stuck in "the cycle". I doubt I'll ever like MKX, but it is fun to watch. I think MK11 will be remembered as "Good".

Everything seems meticulously over-designed to avoid another Cyrax/Kabal. Ideally, the characters would allow for more creativity. But I prefer not having another Cyrax/Kabal vs having them.

The auto-regen meter was done to avoid imbalance resulting from meter building. Ideally, there would be a greater sense of meter management (and really it's fine if some characters build meter faster than others). But I prefer auto-regen vs disparity in meter building that leads to imbalance.

They removed armor to avoid another MKX situtation. Ideally, armor would be implemented where reasonable. I'm thinking Shao Kahn would benefit from some armor. But I prefer no armor vs unreasonable armor.

Breakaway was implemented to avoid common complaints of Breakers. Ideally they could combine the best of Breakaway and Breaker. But I prefer Breakaway vs Breaker.

I can keep going with along these lines. The point is that while MK11 is still not ideal, for the most part it's on the "right side" of history and that's how it will be remembered. They took steps to avoid the pitfalls of previous titles, and while there are over-corrections, they over-corrected in a better direction. MK11 is a solid foundation as a result. It's the most solid foundation they've ever had. You can build on this. I'd build my house on MK11. I think MKX would require more tearing apart than building to get it to an ideal state.

The real crying shame is that they were unable to build on MK11 in MK11 which is what prevents me from choosing Exceptional. I can only hope that they iterate on this game in the future instead of trying to reinvent the wheel yet again.

trufenix

bye felicia
they'll be like
and they had good dlc people asked for like MILEENA and SPAWN and FUJIN
and Flawless block and delayed wake up made footsies HONEST.
Fatal blows and krushing blows weren't bad cause you only see them once a match.
And Oh man, there were SO MANY MORE ANTI AIRS.
Erron Black was unnerfed top tier the whole time.
Cetrion wasn't REALLY that bad.
Jacqui was so high execution that it was okay she was top tier.
After they patched in customs, nobody played anymore, no hype, no tournaments, no support from NRS. We HAD to drop it.
Rain was nice, but nobody played him. Same with Mileena.
Kitana was bad, the whole time. 3-7s all over.
Jade was in that game? Nobody played her.
Nobody played Rambo or Terminator though, wasted slots, no hype, no mains.
Geras was a hype character, its a shame they didn't bring him back.
We'll just not reply when people bring up Sheeva.
Sonic was carried by Joker, who was actually top tier. If he'd used any other characters, he wouldn't have won anything.

trufenix

bye felicia
For the record, I'm old as shit, I remember when y'all did this to poor Mortal Kombat: Deception and people started saying Corpse Drop and Bo Rai Cho throw loops was "fun to fight against" because Armageddon was a huge disappointment. When an infinite into a death trap suddenly became cool tech instead of some crap no human being should ever have to suffer online. When some of the worst fatalities and harakiris ever dreamed up became iconic because the MKA kustom fatality system was truly utterly bullshit.

Y'all keep complaining about how far MK has fallen off though from whenever you started playing. At my age its fun going down this weird inverted memory lane.

Quick, somebody say something good about MK Gold. That game didn't even fucking boot on launch.

trufenix

bye felicia
Interestingly, though not formally a NetherRealm Studios title, the disappointment and dislike of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe never abated, or lessened as the years went on, despite that title laying the ground work for some of the style and mechanics of future titles.
pfft, we were hype and we still are and rest assured if even the slightest hint of kombat rage or klose kombat makes it into the next injustice we will be hype.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
For the record, I'm old as shit, I remember when y'all did this to poor Mortal Kombat: Deception and people started saying Corpse Drop and Bo Rai Cho throw loops was "fun to fight against" because Armageddon was a huge disappointment. When an infinite into a death trap suddenly became cool tech instead of some crap no human being should ever have to suffer online. When some of the worst fatalities and harakiris ever dreamed up became iconic because the MKA kustom fatality system was truly utterly bullshit.

Y'all keep complaining about how far MK has fallen off though from whenever you started playing. At my age its fun going down this weird inverted memory lane.

Quick, somebody say something good about MK Gold. That game didn't even fucking boot on launch.
MK Gold has the robots! We like those right?

DeftMonk

Noob
Here's the problem with this logic, though: NRS has backed themselves into a corner where a single patch is extremely unlikely to address all notable concerns. Unless they drop an MKX-style patch nuke which hits anything and everything (which I doubt they will considering their current soft touch approach for MK11), there's too much of a backlog of needed balance for one patch to be truly satisfying. Will it help? Hell yeah. Will it be enough? Probably not. Let's take a look.
  • Sheeva
  • Kabal
  • Cetrion
  • Jacqui
  • Joker
  • Liu
  • Fujin
  • Shao Kahn
  • Rain
  • Rambo
  • Skarlet
  • Robocop
  • D'Vorah
  • Kitana
  • Mileena
  • Frost
  • Literally the entire variation system because each character has 2-4 good moves at most while the rest are extremely niche or never worth picking
  • Some pokes escaped unscathed through the poke patch, still allowing ease of mashing or back dashing after to punish any attempts at the opponent taking a turn back despite having blocked the poke
  • Janky hitboxes
  • Hurtboxes during aerial normals, especially kicks
Not to mention the fact that even if they addressed everything in one patch, it would likely result in more needed balance after as there's no way in hell they're going to get everything "right" on the first go.
This is painfully obvious. They just enabled customs and peaced out effectively.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Correct, it's not. And if you start watching it from when Obi-Wan goes got Kamino (about halfway through), it's actually pretty good.
tbh, I think AOTC is both genuinely entertaining but also genuinely funny bad (any Anakin scene, but most infamously NOT JUST THE MEN, BUT THE WOMEN AND THE CHILDREN TOO) and should be watched from its entirety.
...I also like RLM and Plinkett heh. I'm pretty much a weird fuck when it comes to my taste in the prequels.

DeftMonk

Noob
So not only are you unable to understand REO's very real and salient points, you're content to burn up straw men. The future of TYM, indeed.
Wtf was Reo's point? lol MK11 is the farthest deviation from NRS style gameplay ever so (not so shockingly) amongst people bitching as they tend to do with nrs titles... you get bitching that actually makes sense with this game. Not only is it far from the typical mortal kombat we have known to love since mk3...it is boring with no archetypes to speak of, everything offensive neutered out the ass, hella defensive options and a comeback mechanic that a 10 year old likely came up with. On top of all this.... it has the absolute worst marketing campaign / community outreach of ANY nrs game. Advertised customs...sure we will give you that after 2 years even tho we advertised on launch...but it's ok cuz we are gonna support this game for a looooong time! Oh nm bye.

If you can't see that is wildly different than any other nrs title and Reo can't see it either...I dunno what to tell you other than -if you like mk11 just go play sfv its basically the same thing with actual support and all around a better title at this point in development cycle.

Reactions: Zgf

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
MK11 will not be fondly remembered and looked back upon like the games you mentioned.

It just won't. For all the reasons people have already stated in here.
I doubt it. This community reminds me too much of the Sonic community. That community has people who defend Sonic 06 of all things my guy.

How incredibly disingenuous. Many people don’t like the incredibly dull combo system in MK11, understandably, but nobody is wanting 50% combos for a bar back. Two different things. Your point isn’t helped by creating this straw man argument.
I can pull up a number of comments from dudes jerking off MK10 when people were ready to dip from that game as it was too fucking crazy. They didn't like how aggressive the game was. They didn't like the braindead 50/50s. Don't sit up and kiss MKX's butt now while you and others were bitching about it.

LOL my man bring up my boy Jax. Well for me honsety I am lowkey. I am known by some but just like playing NRS games. I like all the ones I have played. I missed out on MKX and Injustice 2 due to not having money or a PS4 at the time. I plan to make up for that though. Glad to see both have solid player bases still. I say this to say I'm not super new. I have bene around a block and have seen this community grow and developer over the years. Despite the flaws, we're loyal as fuck to this company and series of games. This amount of loyalty is on the level of the Chicago Cubs fanbase. Now with all that said....

This community from known players to Kitanafan69 contradict themselves constantly and blame NRS for everything when it may be their fault. You can't say you want neutral and then whine the game is stale and boring. The other NRS games neutral hasn't been the best until MK11 showed up. Next similar to the SC community I'm a part people ready to flip tables and fight and call the developers liars because they're not constantly updating them if they take a shit or not. This same shit is going on in the Sonic fanbase right now with people man that Sega hasn't drop any hints of the new major Sonic game. We call these people lazy and lairs when they are working difficult job that not many of us want. So like I say to SC and Sonic fans, I will say to you and others. Chill the fuck out and be patience. There is an update coming. Fuck the guy who played Jax in the MK movie 2021 movie confirmed they got scan for the game. So there is an update coming. Just relax my man.

Also for the record, I lvoe Dave and his podcast. He's a great guy. I met him before. We're not friends but I got a lot of respect for him and REO.REO is actually my favorite content creator for NRS Stuff. Also the other people who complain about zoning are other known players. There are jokes and memes about it.

TLDR: Take a breath. MK and NRS is fine. Everyone needs to chill.