What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Fuckery is fuckery, doesn't matter if you put a dress or thorns on it.
Dude, in some aspects that logic may apply but not in this case. Look at Kano CT or Alien and Look at Kabal / Cyrax. Now lockdown a casual player for two weeks with both consoles, what do You think will happen ? How this will play out ? Blake, I've been playing MK9 till almost end of 2014 and I've seen very few people who were able to bring Kabal, Cyrax or even Kenshi to an outstanding level. My point is, yeah fuckup is a fuckup but in one scenario matters less and in other more. It's just like Mikemetroid said.

And on the record, I like MKX now even more when I picked a top character.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I feel like in Mk9 you legit needed to use good fundamentals. There were actual difference in playstyles. Not everyone was so 50/50 reliant and those that were didn't have safe options for them. People like the idea that in Mk9 you have to commit to the mix-up. Yeah Cyrax, Smoke, and Kabal,were broken but it was never not fun to deal with. Even then if they even slightly messed up it was game over. I mained Scorpion all of Mk9 and never felt that there wasn't a way i couldn't outplay my opponent. MkX is not fun to me bc I feel the game is one dimensional. 50/50 rdid I hit? ok your dead. 50/50 did I hit? Nope let me end it safely. Even breakers feel underwhelming bc they can just run up continue the same pressure.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Dude, in some aspects that logic may apply but not in this case. Look at Kano CT or Alien and Look at Kabal / Cyrax. Now lockdown a casual player for two weeks with both consoles, what do You think will happen ? How this will play out ? Blake, I've been playing MK9 till almost end of 2014 and I've seen very few people who were able to bring Kabal, Cyrax or even Kenshi to an outstanding level. My point is, yeah fuckup is a fuckup but in one scenario matters less and in other more. It's just like Mikemetroid said.

And on the record, I like MKX now even more when I picked a top character.
My opinion still stands. Dress it up or sling tomatoes at it, fuckery is fuckery.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
MK9 is a weird and strange game that will forever be lost in time because NRS is never going to come back to it, nor will they try and recapture what made it enjoyable for some.

It's a right place, right time kind of game.

I won't say that it is just rose tinted glasses, or that it was some peoples first competitive game so they look back on it fondly compared to the new games, because in a handful of ways MK9 is better then it's successors.

However with that said, even if Injustice never came out, MK9 was a dead end. Even with all the stuff people liked about it, there was bunch more bullshit that drove everyone crazy. A final patch would not have saved it, they were limited to what they could do with 9, and they couldn't fix a lot of the bugs that were hard coded into the game.

The only hope it ever had was MKX being a continuation of 9, which didn't happen(for several reasons).
Ironically it is Injustice 2 that ends up being the legacy game lol.
Wise words, man. It's all true, sad but true. MK9 had to many problems, it was going to die regardless of what happened, and it was a surprise and a sad moment seeing MKX was not the legacy game the comunity was waiting for. Not that it is bad, in a lot of ways it is the better game, but at least to me is not even remotely as fun to play as MK9 was.

Now that they are going legacy with Injustice 2, I wonder what will they do with MK11. Will it be a legacy game? If so will it take from MKX or MK9? Or will we get something in between? Or something new? I am sad I'll have to wait soooo loooong to know any of this.

The Abbot

Unit LK-52O
In my experience winning in Injustice was more challenging than MK9. I required more match up knowledge, superior fundamentals, and I found the competition to be stronger.
You made Cat look top tier. Injustice was definitely a great game and you had to know your match ups but did you have more fun playing MK9 or Injustice?

Saltea Moonspell

I mained Scorpion all of Mk9 and never felt that there wasn't a way i couldn't outplay my opponent.
Bro, I mained Scorpion for about a year, I've modified the entire Gameplan. I was able to take down Cage's on The Pit, wipe the floors with Kabals. I've mained Hattrick Kung Lao for 7 months and up against some character completely helpless. Besides in MKX character gives way too much to the player. I dare to say in some cases You don't really have to think about your commitment because there is no consequences, LOL.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I hope my memory serves me well, didn't almost everyone combo off (even if with obvious damage reduction) an un-aa-able jump-in kick?
Characters with air specials usually could, but if I remember it right, for the rest it had to be a deep jump kick, and those could be anti aired.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
MKX its a great game, it really is, its more polished and the training mode is far superior the shit we had with MK9, its just that there are things in the game that i think NRS went overboard with them, and that is where starts to not pleasing a few.

Those are things that can be easily fixed with a patch, but those things are there since launch, and not even sure if its going away or not, i may play the game but there are just aspect of the mechanic that i really don't like it.

There's a disconnect when you go from picking top tier to win, to not having to think.

Those two things don't go together, as you stated with Kabal. If anyone could pick up Alien and place without thinking, why don't they do that to get some of that pot bonus? IIRC Alien dominated early on at EVO and got shut out before top 8, outside of Dragon and Sonic. Players like Foreverking and Dab couldn't even make top 8 versus C tier Shinnok and honest Sonya, with a top tier that doesn't require thinking? Damn.

Oh and Dragon never went to a tournament and didn't place because he used Ermac/Kitana. This is his first competitive fighting game. So what if he dicked around with Ermac or Inferno Scorpion right when the game dropped. That's not damning evidence for Alien being braindead. lmfao
Tweedy, you said so yourself, you never played mk9. We're used to mkx now, we've gotten better at managing safe 50/50's and vortex's, jailing block strings, safe armor, half screen normals, depleting health bars, and broke jump ins. There are stupid characters in both games, yes, but what drives players to make threads like this is the sheer difference in tact used to deal with the stupid characters in both games. What was the most threatening thing about kabals pressure? His tick throws and his overhead hooks and low saw both of which did not lead to a combo. His zoning? Neutral duck, dash block inch your way forward, maybe even counter zone, wait for him to approach you and wiff punish. Sonya? Zone that bitch, wait for her to approach, wiff punish. Point is, with the right spacing, footsies and DEFENSE, you were rewarded. Does this exist in mkx? Sure. Does the offensive reward ratio greatly and unfairly surpass defensive tactics? Hell fucking yeah

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
WHAT MAKES MK9 STAND OUT?
because after 10 years MK community finally have a good game that can be considered an "esport" to be played at high competitive level, instead of all the button mashing scrub fighting games from MK4 to MK vs DC. People just feel nostagic and the first impression is just too strong

Last edited:

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
The main things I liked much more about MK9 were definitely the movement and the fact that you had to work much harder to open up your oponent. It was much more rewarding to win without 100000 low/oh mixup possibilities. Dave mentioned character "archetypes" like anti zoner, zoner etc which was also excellent.

Saltea Moonspell

As much as we all would like to keep it simple, soon or later that is to be expected. And it happens bacuse MKX has tones of BS that lies in depths of our consciousness. I play and like MKX because of the frenchies and the entertainment that the game brinds. I travel, get to know knew people, visit places Ive never been before. Party hard and have hella good time. But it is what is it. Some will deny it, some wont.

Lets hope that we see another patch that puts to bed some of the bulls*it thats surfaced in recent months. Its good that so many of us is able to distinguish whats better and whats not, regardless how good a victory feels with pocket Alien or Kano :D

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What top MKX players are carried by their characters?

Also: At every regional/major I've been to, there are always side tournaments for older games. Always. They may not be officially supported by the TO, but people play these games regardless.

Sooo...if the community likes MK9 so much, why don't they keep playing it? Why did they stop?

The Smash Community didn't have EVO for a long time, if I remember right. They supported it themselves. Why don't all the MK9 Heads do the same?

Do you NEED a fancy pot bonus to travel and play a game you love?

Saltea Moonspell

o you NEED a fancy pot bonus to travel and play a game you love?
The money was never a factor brother. I think the reason is that most of us were on the "wow, MKX" expression for very long and just rolled with the flow. I recently started to eat at this new chinese restaurant by my work because my colleagues kept going there everyday and while the food looks great, and I like the venue I am starting to miss my local restaurant, its not fancy but its way better - but I needed time to realize that my self....You fell me ? :)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The money was never a factor brother. I think the reason is that most of us were on the "wow, MKX" expression for very long and just rolled with the flow. I recently started to eat at this new chinese restaurant by my work because my colleagues kept going there everyday and while the food looks great, and I like the venue I am starting to miss my local restaurant, its not fancy but its way better - but I needed time to realize that my self....You fell me ? :)
Instead of talking about how cool MK9 was...play it.

At CEO, someone brought an MK9 set up. In a room full of former MK9 players, barely anyone touched it.

Tweedy

Noob
No top characters carried anyone at the highest level, not even cyrax, or Kabal or Kenshi.
MK9 didn't had long reaching normals, or disjointed hitboxes.

D1s were -13.
Special highs were a sort of high attack that would it anyone unless they neutral crouch, mashing or crouch blocking would make the move reach, MKX lost special highs.
Anti-airs were extremely reliable
No interactables
No 50-50s that were super plus
no horrendous walkspeed across the board
No long reach advancing strings that could hit airbone (except cyrax ghost hitbox on 1,2 string)

The game general rules were so well defined that with enough work you could probably win most matches without guessing too much and too often, aside from some heavy imbalance, like kenshi vs jade, the game was pretty fun and there was diversity of play.
My point is actually that no one is carried by their character choice.

So I don't understand your post.

Besides that, I think you're being extremely biased. I hear all the time that the game had Cyrax who could kill in one hit, bad balance, player 1 advantage. Why didn't you mention those things?

I could mention a lot of good things about MKX and leave out safe 50/50s, neutral armor, some jump ins. It would sound baller, no? lol