What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
No he's dead serious. Kabal Kenshi and cyrax didn't carry anyone. If you picked them up and expected them to do the work for you, you got embarrassed.

This game isn't MKX when you can just pick up alien and turn your brain off
how many aliens really have results, though?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Remember this match? Huge upset and a Heartbreaker, yet it was so hype and exciting at the same time. Have we had a match like this in MKX yet?
oh man i remember that set.. poor blake so close. There was hella hype matches in MK9 imo Off top of my head DJT vs REO, REO vs xSMoKEx / PL vs Curbo / CDJR vs Tyrant / Wafflez run at Final Round .. so many sick things

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i like mkx far better than mk9. mk9 was pretty stingy with giving decent mids to characters. Mkx kinda went overboard but at least there here. mkx also feels more polished as well as opposed to mk9. I won't lie tho, mk9 storymode was awesome.

Tweedy

Noob
I could just say that you could pick Kabal or whoever and turn your brain off.

Me, not being someone who played MK9, can provide 0 examples of Kabal resulting in silly upsets because of how good and braindead he was. It's the same case for all of you with Alien. Sonicfox and Dragon would get the same placements regardless of Alien/Tanya/whoever.

Tweedy

Noob
You could but you wouldn't because you can't do that in mk9 at all lol
You could say that you can turn your brain off to beat people with Alien but you can't at all.

See, I can say the same thing back to you, and there's no "omg wtf Alien", evidence that you can provide. He's been out for 5 months and hasn't caused a significant upset in any tournament.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
The movement stands out in MK9. It's what people pointed to most often for what they liked about the game. Meter system was probably next most mentioned.

That movement was like a modified version of the 3d games, which also felt great. Movement was drastically different in MKDC and it felt like shit. It changed again for MKX and is probably the single most complained about aspect. It just looks prettier.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Mortal Kombat 9 plays like a traditional 2D fighting game. Mid range control (i.e., footsies and anti-aerial attacks) is strong and prevalent. No vortexes exist, but offensive options remain powerful. The game's meta is diverse and nonlinear. Cyrax is a predominately combo character, Johnny Cage is a rush down character, Freddy is a traditional full screen zoning character, Kabal is a high execution character who is versatile, Kenshi is a mid range zoning and defensive character, Kitana is a mid range zoning and offensive character, Kung Lao is a mobile rush down character with great defense, Smoke is an anti-zoning, footsies character, Sonya is a footsies-based rush down character, etc. These aforementioned characters are all top tier characters with varied abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. A gameplay style exists for all types of players, which results in the game being enjoyable to play and watch. The superior player, even among the best of the best, always wins in Mortal Kombat 9, with no exceptions other than the game's poor balance, which leads me to discuss the negative aspects of the game.

Unfortunately, the game is profoundly unbalanced, mostly because of Kabal and to a lesser extent Cyrax and Kenshi. The game is also plagued with some peculiar glitches such as the infamous input bug and the frustrating meter drain glitch. If Mortal Kombat 9 had received one or two more patches, I sincerely believe that nobody would be playing Mortal Kombat X right now.
Quoted because anything i say would just be repetitive at this point. BRING BACK MK9!!!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
You could say that you can turn your brain off to beat people with Alien but you can't at all.

See, I can say the same thing back to you, and there's no "omg wtf Alien", evidence that you can provide. He's been out for 5 months and hasn't caused a significant upset in any tournament.
Him causing an upset isn't the point I'm trying to make.

Dragon himself said he picked him up because he's top tier, the same reason why he used Tanya. He tried ermac and Kitana and got 0 results anywhere while Tanya and Alien got him to where he is. This isn't shade because he legit said he picks top tier to win. He even went on to say that he felt bad playing someone at Evo because he didn't even feel like he outplayed them. He said he won based on his opponent guessing wrong.

You couldn't do that in MK9. Yea Kabal was fucking stupid but you couldn't just pick him up and be carried. You actually had to think.

Tweedy

Noob
Him causing an upset isn't the point I'm trying to make.

Dragon himself said he picked him up because he's top tier, the same reason why he used Tanya. He tried ermac and Kitana and got 0 results anywhere while Tanya and Alien got him to where he is. This isn't shade because he legit said he picks top tier to win. He even went on to say that he felt bad playing someone at Evo because he didn't even feel like he outplayed them. He said he won based on his opponent guessing wrong.

You couldn't do that in MK9. Yea Kabal was fucking stupid but you couldn't just pick him up and be carried. You actually had to think.
There's a disconnect when you go from picking top tier to win, to not having to think.

Those two things don't go together, as you stated with Kabal. If anyone could pick up Alien and place without thinking, why don't they do that to get some of that pot bonus? IIRC Alien dominated early on at EVO and got shut out before top 8, outside of Dragon and Sonic. Players like Foreverking and Dab couldn't even make top 8 versus C tier Shinnok and honest Sonya, with a top tier that doesn't require thinking? Damn.

Oh and Dragon never went to a tournament and didn't place because he used Ermac/Kitana. This is his first competitive fighting game. So what if he dicked around with Ermac or Inferno Scorpion right when the game dropped. That's not damning evidence for Alien being braindead. lmfao

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I could just say that you could pick Kabal or whoever and turn your brain off.

Me, not being someone who played MK9, can provide 0 examples of Kabal resulting in silly upsets because of how good and braindead he was. It's the same case for all of you with Alien. Sonicfox and Dragon would get the same placements regardless of Alien/Tanya/whoever.
No top characters carried anyone at the highest level, not even cyrax, or Kabal or Kenshi.
MK9 didn't had long reaching normals, or disjointed hitboxes.

D1s were -13.
Special highs were a sort of high attack that would it anyone unless they neutral crouch, mashing or crouch blocking would make the move reach, MKX lost special highs.
Anti-airs were extremely reliable
No interactables
No 50-50s that were super plus
no horrendous walkspeed across the board
No long reach advancing strings that could hit airbone (except cyrax ghost hitbox on 1,2 string)

The game general rules were so well defined that with enough work you could probably win most matches without guessing too much and too often, aside from some heavy imbalance, like kenshi vs jade, the game was pretty fun and there was diversity of play.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Those two things don't go together, as you stated with Kabal. If anyone could pick up Alien and place without thinking, why don't they do that to get some of that pot bonus? IIRC Alien dominated early on at EVO and got shut out before top 8, outside of Dragon and Sonic. Players like Foreverking and Dab couldn't even make top 8 versus C tier Shinnok and honest Sonya, with a top tier that doesn'
Lol that was mean. I wasn't even trying to go there lol
Oh and Dragon never went to a tournament and didn't place because he used Ermac/Kitana. This is his first competitive fighting game. So what if he dicked around with Ermac or Inferno Scorpion right when the game dropped. That's not damning evidence for Alien being braindead. lmfao
Idk who dragon used before tanya but I never heard of him before Tanya at all. After Tanya got nerfed, he was using ermac and Kitana alot. I didn't see too much of his ermac but his kitana was mentioned alot and was even hyped up to being one of the best. He even used Kitana at a tourney, got bopped and switched to alien with the quickness. I forget what tournament that was but it's the one where sonic met him in GFs and won (with alien).

Alien is pretty braindead man lol. I understand that's your character and all but when the best player for that character is saying he doesn't even really have to outplay his opponent to win, that says alot

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Can we be real here? Kabal is just like Kang in Mkx. All be it the zoning is toned down some, the pressure is very similar. That said, Kabul would only be A or A+ tier in MKX.

It's just a different game where the meta doesn't revolve around pressure, footsies or zoning...it simply revolves around pressure into 50/50 for full combo.

Such a shitty design overall