What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Lol that was mean. I wasn't even trying to go there lol

Idk who dragon used before tanya but I never heard of him before Tanya at all. After Tanya got nerfed, he was using ermac and Kitana alot. I didn't see too much of his ermac but his kitana was mentioned alot and was even hyped up to being one of the best. He even used Kitana at a tourney, got bopped and switched to alien with the quickness. I forget what tournament that was but it's the one where sonic met him in GFs and won (with alien).

Alien is pretty braindead man lol. I understand that's your character and all but when the best player for that character is saying he doesn't even really have to outplay his opponent to win, that says alot
no use talkin about it to someone who never played mk9.. not throwing shade, just saying its a pointless arguement seeing as he didn't play.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
For God's sake, TYM, stop pretending that Mortal Kombat 9 is everything Mortal Kombat X should have been. It isn't. And this is coming from someone who did not think highly of MKX at first when it came out over a year ago.

More I want to say, but I'll bite my tongue.

Remember this match? Huge upset and a Heartbreaker, yet it was so hype and exciting at the same time. Have we had a match like this in MKX yet?
I oughta banhammer you right now for sharing this match...

Too bad I can't since I made it public myself. -_-

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
For God's sake, TYM, stop pretending that Mortal Kombat 9 is everything Mortal Kombat X should have been. It isn't. And this is coming from someone who did not think highly of MKX at first when it came out over a year ago.

More I want to say, but I'll bite my tongue.

I oughta banhammer you right now for sharing this match...

Too bad I can't since I made it public myself. -_-
Lol Blake I know you hate that match but man it was one of the hypest sets in MK9 ever.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Lol Blake I know you hate that match but man it was one of the hypest sets in MK9 ever.
I understand that, just that with me being on the receiving end of the Tyrant Virus (that's what I call all of Tyrant's comebacks), and trying to forget that I mained Sonya in the first place, that's a clip I really wish people would just forget about.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
No he's dead serious. Kabal Kenshi and cyrax didn't carry anyone. If you picked them up and expected them to do the work for you, you got embarrassed.
That is just BS... and I think you know it.

This game isn't MKX when you can just pick up alien and turn your brain off
Funny... I saw a LOT of Aliens at EVO and they ALL got their ass beat to hell apart from 2.. out of the 100s there. The Alien hate is complete crap and the people that talk about just expose themselves as not really having any idea of what is going on.

xKhaoTik

That is just BS... and I think you know it.
How is that BS? Please give an example of who got carried in MK9. I'm curious, and I'm sure everyone else reading that is as well
Funny... I saw a LOT of Aliens at EVO and they ALL got their ass beat to hell apart from 2.. out of the 100s there. The Alien hate is complete crap and the people that talk about just expose themselves as not really having any idea of what is going on.
I never said alien was unbeatable. I just said he is braindead. Yes I saw Evo and yes, alot of aliens didn't make it to top 8. But Alien STILL won Evo. Sonic did what he had to do. Dragon did what he had to do for his placings. Scar did what he had to do in his esl placings. The character is braindead man lol. Nothing you say or do is gonna change my mind on that

Jynks

How is that BS? Please give an example of who got carried in MK9. I'm curious, and I'm sure everyone else reading that is as well

I never said alien was unbeatable. I just said he is braindead. Yes I saw Evo and yes, alot of aliens didn't make it to top 8. But Alien STILL won Evo. Sonic did what he had to do. Dragon did what he had to do for his placings. Scar did what he had to do in his esl placings. The character is braindead man lol. Nothing you say or do is gonna change my mind on that
So just to be clear... Sonic counter picking alien in MKx is "brain dead and lame somehow" but DJY counter picking Cyrax in the EXACT same way in nearly the exact same situation at EVO finals is not?

xKhaoTik

So just to be clear... Sonic counter picking alien in MKx is "brain dead and lame somehow" but DJY counter picking Cyrax in the EXACT same way in nearly the exact same situation at EVO finals is not?
Let's not compare alien to cyrax lol. Alien is far more easier and one dimensional. Yea, Cyrax was FUCKED up but that's on a whole completely different level and scenario. And he isn't as easy as alien when it comes to execution.

Still waiting to see who was carried in MK9. I have a feeling who you're about to say and the character as well. If it's that, I'm so ready to blow that up bad lol

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
What carries people in MKX isn't characters, it's full combo safe 50 50s. That should be braindead obvious.

People dickride MK9 because there wasn't instances were people lost a tournament match cause "OOPS I FORGOT THE STRING WENT OVERHEAD LOW LOW OVERHEAD" and I have 50% life left. But it doesn't matter cause combo doesn't scale at all. Ggs man you outplayed me :DOGE

You can't deny countless people lost because of guesses. I don't even need to prove it. People use alien as a scapegoat but everyone in the cast can do it (maybe except kitana lol).

That's why people use the word braindead. Tom said is perfectly on stream. The most random guy can pick up MKX and still have a 50% chance to hit you and win. Of course Johnny donuts over here ain't winning the tourneys, but still affects the scene and the games.

I don't agree with the MK9 top tiers needed work thing. I feel like if smoke and cyrax had 100% combos then I'm sure getting one or two hits is easy enough.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MK9 is a weird and strange game that will forever be lost in time because NRS is never going to come back to it, nor will they try and recapture what made it enjoyable for some.

It's a right place, right time kind of game.

I won't say that it is just rose tinted glasses, or that it was some peoples first competitive game so they look back on it fondly compared to the new games, because in a handful of ways MK9 is better then it's successors.

However with that said, even if Injustice never came out, MK9 was a dead end. Even with all the stuff people liked about it, there was bunch more bullshit that drove everyone crazy. A final patch would not have saved it, they were limited to what they could do with 9, and they couldn't fix a lot of the bugs that were hard coded into the game.

The only hope it ever had was MKX being a continuation of 9, which didn't happen(for several reasons).
Ironically it is Injustice 2 that ends up being the legacy game lol.

Jynks

Let's not compare alien to cyrax lol. Alien is far more easier and one dimensional. Yea, Cyrax was FUCKED up but that's on a whole completely different level and scenario. And he isn't as easy as alien when it comes to execution.

Still waiting to see who was carried in MK9. I have a feeling who you're about to say and the character as well. If it's that, I'm so ready to blow that up bad lol
ok.. I get it.. when you have zero response to my point you just choose to ignore it... your one of those.. guess I should have expected it.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I'm talking about the evo final where he lost and switched to Cyrax.
What are you talking about .. that never happened? lol

Maybe, You're thinkin of 2011 with REO .. He just went to cyrax cuz he conceded and didn't know what to do so he just picked cyrax for last game

xKhaoTik

ok.. I get it.. when you have zero response to my point you just choose to ignore it... your one of those.. guess I should have expected it.
No. Your point was lame. You tried to compare alien to cyrax. There isn't even a comment for that because that looks so foolish.

STILL WAITING ON THE CHARACTER WHO CARRIED SOMEONE IN MK9. And you wanna talk about ignoring something lol

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Mortal Kombat 9 plays like a traditional 2D fighting game. Mid range control (i.e., footsies and anti-aerial attacks) is strong and prevalent. No vortexes exist, but offensive options remain powerful. The game's meta is diverse and nonlinear. Cyrax is a predominately combo character, Johnny Cage is a rush down character, Freddy is a traditional full screen zoning character, Kabal is a high execution character who is versatile, Kenshi is a mid range zoning and defensive character, Kitana is a mid range zoning and offensive character, Kung Lao is a mobile rush down character with great defense, Smoke is an anti-zoning, footsies character, Sonya is a footsies-based rush down character, etc. These aforementioned characters are all top tier characters with varied abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. A gameplay style exists for all types of players, which results in the game being enjoyable to play and watch. The superior player, even among the best of the best, always wins in Mortal Kombat 9, with no exceptions other than the game's poor balance, which leads me to discuss the negative aspects of the game.

Unfortunately, the game is profoundly unbalanced, mostly because of Kabal and to a lesser extent Cyrax and Kenshi. The game is also plagued with some peculiar glitches such as the infamous input bug and the frustrating meter drain glitch. If Mortal Kombat 9 had received one or two more patches, I sincerely believe that nobody would be playing Mortal Kombat X right now.

I Couldnt agee More.

I am kind of softcore version of Tom, where I was traveling from Arcade to Arcade, City to City just to play others and learn, dominate, have fun player. Started with SF, through Tekken and later on got into MK9, got where I wanted to be. Back then I gathered some youngsters who loved MK9 and offline play but it was by the end if it's life spawn. When MKX was out I said on the facebook group "This looks great but it's stupid as Fuck" - more less. Everyone thought I was a hater. Everyone loved the game, those who couldn't win shit in MK9 finally after 2-3 years of playing were actually winning and couldn't be stopped. Now it's almost two years since day MKX is out ... and in last 2 months I heard several suggestions to set up MK9 and get into that game, I hear how much more fun the game, more rounded , despite the Cyrax bullshit.

I still have my American Metal gear Sold 4 PS3 80Gb console and planing on rebooting the game and bring it back to life. To me and some people MK9 will live and breath just like UMK3 dose.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I Couldnt agee More.

I am kind of softcore version of Tom, where I was traveling from Arcade to Arcade, City to City just to play others and learn, dominate, have fun player. Started with SF, through Tekken and later on got into MK9, got where I wanted to be. Back then I gathered some youngsters who loved MK9 and offline play but it was by the end if it's life spawn. When MKX was out I said on the facebook group "This looks great but it's stupid as Fuck" - more less. Everyone thought I was a hater. Everyone loved the game, those who couldn't win shit in MK9 finally after 2-3 years of playing were actually winning and couldn't be stopped. Now it's almost two years since day MKX is out ... and in last 2 months I heard several suggestions to set up MK9 and get into that game, I hear how much more fun the game, more rounded , despite the Cyrax bullshit.

I still have my American Metal gear Sold 4 PS3 80Gb console and planing on rebooting the game and bring it back to life. To me and some people MK9 will live and breath just like UMK3 dose.
Honestly i'm thinkin about reviving it in my scene as well... i don't care if it's not played on main stages or w/e.. it was just a fun game that i enjoyed using my free time on

shura30

Shura
Anti-Airs
(i.e., footsies and anti-aerial attacks).
I hope my memory serves me well, didn't almost everyone combo off (even if with obvious damage reduction) an un-aa-able jump-in kick?

If Mortal Kombat 9 had received one or two more patches, I sincerely believe that nobody would be playing Mortal Kombat X right now.
I believe people is confused about what mk9 actually was to the fanbase and the whole franchise
and it's real value in the world of competitive fighing games

MKX is better in all aspects BESIDE the constant guessing, mkx's top tiers are as stupid as the mk9 were
game balance is comparable between the two, few characters with all purposes moveset, some with one broken tool that if removed/normalized would make the char unviable and a few others with barely the strings to enter a match