What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

Tweedy

Noob
How is that BS? Please give an example of who got carried in MK9. I'm curious, and I'm sure everyone else reading that is as well

I never said alien was unbeatable. I just said he is braindead. Yes I saw Evo and yes, alot of aliens didn't make it to top 8. But Alien STILL won Evo. Sonic did what he had to do. Dragon did what he had to do for his placings. Scar did what he had to do in his esl placings. The character is braindead man lol. Nothing you say or do is gonna change my mind on that
How did Foreverking get multiple EVO top 8s in MK9, yet he couldn't make top 8 with turn your brain off Alien?

It's not like he had to play versus Alien.

Alien won just the last match of EVO. Sonic picked Acidic vs Blood God, because that's a favorable match. Just like how he picked Unstoppable vs Takeda, Gunslinger vs War God, Cassie vs D'vorah. Alien was just one of Sonic's counterpicks. The idea that Sonic didn't try until the Alien pick and needed specifically Alien to win, is bananas. If Tekken Master started with Blood God and switched to War God, it would have been Alien and then Erron Black. Sonic plays to the match up. There are also many other characters that do well vs Blood God.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
My point is actually that no one is carried by their character choice.

So I don't understand your post.

Besides that, I think you're being extremely biased. I hear all the time that the game had Cyrax who could kill in one hit, bad balance, player 1 advantage. Why didn't you mention those things?

I could mention a lot of good things about MKX and leave out safe 50/50s, neutral armor, some jump ins. It would sound baller, no? lol
The title of this thread is "what makes mk9 stand out" not what is bad about Mk9.
Btw, if people are saying that MK9 was perfect they are obviously wrong. But lets be honest, we all know both games have broken characters and their share of bullshit.
Alien, jailing cancels etc for MKX. Kuhbawl, Cyrax, overall lack of balance, p1 advantage, meter drain for MK9 (just to name a few).

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Shaming people into playing a game ain't gonna work brah... that's not how you go about things
I could care less who plays it. That's not my goal.

I'm just trying to understand the disconnect between people who like MK9 as NRS' best fighter and the fact that no one plays it today.

Logistically, there's no reason why they can't.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Sonic plays to the match up. There are also many other characters that do well vs Blood God.
I think Sonic didnt want to jump into Alien at all. But when nothing was working and he got heated up to the point where he took down his sonic hat we all knew whats coming next. And to be clear, I Am not downplaying foxboy nor saying that he is somewhat lucky.

Back to point:

MK9 may still return...who knows. Over all its one the best Edd's game up to date along with MKX.

Tweedy

Noob
Tweedy, you said so yourself, you never played mk9. We're used to mkx now, we've gotten better at managing safe 50/50's and vortex's, jailing block strings, safe armor, half screen normals, depleting health bars, and broke jump ins. There are stupid characters in both games, yes, but what drives players to make threads like this is the sheer difference in tact used to deal with the stupid characters in both games. What was the most threatening thing about kabals pressure? His tick throws and his overhead hooks and low saw both of which did not lead to a combo. His zoning? Neutral duck, dash block inch your way forward, maybe even counter zone, wait for him to approach you and wiff punish. Sonya? Zone that bitch, wait for her to approach, wiff punish. Point is, with the right spacing, footsies and DEFENSE, you were rewarded. Does this exist in mkx? Sure. Does the offensive reward ratio greatly and unfairly surpass defensive tactics? Hell fucking yeah
The games have different archetypes I suppose.

MKX is a very offensive game. The neutral, rather TYM wants to believe it or not, does play out pretty well. It's just that when you get hit one time, it could be over, due to the offense. It has issues like neutral armor, some safe 50/50s that remain in the game, a couple jump ins that honestly aren't even that big of a deal if you alter your method of anti airing. We all know that you can't just D2 or S1 to anti air every character, you have to mix it up. I don't know if that's a bad thing. There are a couple characters that could use nerfs, like Alien/Sonya/Mileena/Cutthroat.

Before you question the neutral being the most vital part of MKX, compare the top tier to Jacqui. What are Alien's mix ups in comparison to her? Same with Takeda and Mileena. Mileena's mix ups are trash. Neutral wins on this game, it's just that once hit, the offense can sometimes end the match. The risk/reward is very high and the game is very fast. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

MK9 is idk because I hear different stories.

Tweedy

Noob
I think Sonic didnt want to jump into Alien at all. But when nothing was working and he got heated up to the point where he took down his sonic hat we all knew whats coming next. And to be clear, I Am not downplaying foxboy nor saying that he is somewhat lucky.

Back to point:

MK9 may still return...who knows. Over all its one the best Edd's game up to date along with MKX.
He got mopped by Pnut when they played Acidic vs War God.

Get real, this isn't an anime. Sonic doesn't care what people think about his character choice.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Can we be real here? Kabal is just like Kang in Mkx. All be it the zoning is toned down some, the pressure is very similar. That said, Kabul would only be A or A+ tier in MKX.

It's just a different game where the meta doesn't revolve around pressure, footsies or zoning...it simply revolves around pressure into 50/50 for full combo.

Such a shitty design overall
I'm surprised REO hasn't put in work with DF liu he is pretty much a watered down kabal.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The games have different archetypes I suppose.

MKX is a very offensive game. The neutral, rather TYM wants to believe it or not, does play out pretty well. It's just that when you get hit one time, it could be over, due to the offense. It has issues like neutral armor, some safe 50/50s that remain in the game, a couple jump ins that honestly aren't even that big of a deal if you alter your method of anti airing. We all know that you can't just D2 or S1 to anti air every character, you have to mix it up. I don't know if that's a bad thing. There are a couple characters that could use nerfs, like Alien/Sonya/Mileena/Cutthroat.

Before you question the neutral being the most vital part of MKX, compare the top tier to Jacqui. What are Alien's mix ups in comparison to her? Same with Takeda and Mileena. Mileena's mix ups are trash. Neutral wins on this game, it's just that once hit, the offense can sometimes end the match. The risk/reward is very high and the game is very fast. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

MK9 is idk because I hear different stories.
I've said this stuff before, but was blown up by old MK9 Heads that say, "but footsies!"

"Footsies," as I've learned from being on this site for awhile, is used to service the agenda of anyone who wants to shit on a game they don't like.

Tweedy

Noob
I've said this stuff before, but was blown up by old MK9 Heads that say, "but footsies!"

"Footsies," as I've learned from being on this site for awhile, is used to service the agenda of anyone who wants to shit on a game they don't like.
I doubt MK9's neutral game is comparable to MKX's if the anti airs lack depth and there's player 1 advantage.

Don't get me wrong there are still dumb jump ins, like the ones that don't need to auto correct and Alien's jump 2. Besides that people just confuse having to use all of their tools, with "anti airs don't exist".

That's just my 2 cents.

A game is not a good "footsie" game if it has player 1 advantage. You're delusional if you think that.

Edit: It might be so dank that it's still all right, but no trades is a huge fundamental flaw in the neutral, and just period.

Tweedy

Noob
Something that really needs to be said so I gotta make another post.

When Dave or someone else says "well one more patch could have fixed the balance, player 1 advantage, etc".

Replace that with "the few jump ins that are too strong, safe 50/50s, neutral armor", for MKX.

MK9 is actually over. It doesn't get another patch. MKX could, so why isn't that excuse used for MKX?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So I don't understand your post.

Besides that, I think you're being extremely biased. I hear all the time that the game had Cyrax who could kill in one hit, bad balance, player 1 advantage. Why didn't you mention those things?

I could mention a lot of good things about MKX and leave out safe 50/50s, neutral armor, some jump ins. It would sound baller, no? lol
I didn't mentioned nothing bad about MKX either, those things in MK9 aside from cyrax were just bugs, it wasn't fixed because they just couldn't so we had to deal with it.

Some people also blow things way too out of proportion, while cyrax could kill for sure with 2 combos, touching you to do it it wasn't that easy and there was still breakers, P1 advantage was there, but blaming a loss over this its practically the same as SFV players blaming 8f of lag.

In MKX it doesn't have those bugs, but the game still failed to deliver on the general gameplay rules, some concepts just do not pan out with the general balance at all, while in MK9 we had to deal with P1 advantage and Cyrax, it was a very manageable game most of the time and some things you had better response over MKX.

For example, the super blockstuns on some moves MKX has on some specials that are obviously minus, do not existed in MK9.
No d1 low profiled highs and were -2 on block, no one would get block infinited with d1 mashing as we saw jason video.
There was no disjointed hitboxes. And fullscreen advancing strings.

In general without too much detail, it wasn't a game sided to offense or defense only, it was a balance of the two, where mostly every character had its own strengths and weakness, the general gameplay, variety of play, neutral game strategies and so on.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Dealing with a mixup with a resource required to keep safe > incessant resource-less 0 on block or better staggers that some people apparently don't remember they were so inept at dealing with that they somehow convinced themselves were also 'randomly advantage on block'.

In fact, PL was streaming MK9 the other day and claimed Jax's F413 string was a block infinite (and it clearly wasn't in jest). Like, what?

But I guess since the 'guessing game' wasn't tied to concurrent overheads and lows per se MK9 was all Queensbury rules right?

shura30

Shura
How did Foreverking get multiple EVO top 8s in MK9, yet he couldn't make top 8 with turn your brain off Alien?
not everyone loses to someone else's pocket character

also, you lot still give value to a character off tournament results
and I don't really know what to add more to the fact that current patch alien is just a mashup of the worse of this game pre and post patches

also, foreverking isn't shining in mkx as he did in mk9, even before alien dlc

The idea that Sonic didn't try until the Alien pick and needed specifically Alien to win, is bananas.
lmao
until sonicfox comes here and tells otherwise, he did try his best to not go Alien at evo
I firmly believe he was trying to prove a point but failed

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Some people talk about P1 advantage i wonder if they really know what it was.
P1 advantage only affected trades, something MK9 didn't had, so paulo removed on MKX and added trades in the game, so when both characters are at neutral and press the exact same startup frame at the exact same time both move hits and the trade happens.

if you were on a plus frame advantage coming from P2 there was no P1 advantage that would help you escape or overthrow frametraps.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Also, MKX has everything to be set right with the infamous final patch, what needs to be done is just add defense in general mechanics to be more evident, a defensive player should be able to win by playing defense just as much one wins playing offense, a few tweaks in and there and the game will be infinitely better, problem is that if these changes will actually happen or not.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Also, MKX has everything to be set right with the infamous final patch, what needs to be done is just add defense in general mechanics to be more evident, a defensive player should be able to win by playing defense just as much one wins playing offense, a few tweaks in and there and the game will be infinitely better, problem is that if these changes will actually happen or not.
Have you seen foxy play?

Tweedy

Noob
not everyone loses to someone else's pocket character

also, you lot still give value to a character off tournament results
and I don't really know what to add more to the fact that current patch alien is just a mashup of the worse of this game pre and post patches

also, foreverking isn't shining in mkx as he did in mk9, even before alien dlc

lmao
until sonicfox comes here and tells otherwise, he did try his best to not go Alien at evo
I firmly believe he was trying to prove a point but failed
What quality of Kobu Tanya or release Raiden does Alien have, outside of 50/50 armor. Leatherface also has that btw and I admit that it could be tweaked. Don't say "lol they have rekkas", because Alien's are way different.

What do you mean "until Sonicfox comes here and tells otherwise", it's the other way around. This is a competition, not a fairy tale or anime. Sonic played to the match ups. He lost to War God at Final Round with Acidic, switched to Gunslinger and won. Do you even know the specifics of Acidic vs War God? Gunslinger does way better.

And Jason does way better than Alien vs Takeda. He lost to Takeda at Combo Breaker with Acidic and Gunslinger. He used Jason this time and with much greater success.

If he would have played Scar, he would have went Gunslinger, because he couldn't get a game vs Scar with Acidic at CEO, and had to switch to Gunslinger to run it back.

Blood God was the only match he ran into, where Acidic was his best character in the match, in top 8.

So who is delusional here?

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
being able to play proper footsies by cancelling dashes with blocking and many characters having great anti-air jabs or d1s to make jumping very risky. you didn't have to read jumps and njp to anti air you can just see the jump happen and press a button. you see it now with SFV how many characters there have great anti-air jabs so even characters without traditional dragon punches can still stop a jump in.

even though the game was unbalanced, some of the best fighting games ever made were horribly unbalanced. 3rd strike, marvel games, UMK3, etc. that didn't take away from how fun the game was to play when you played against people (offline) and could just enjoy the game for the mechanics.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
anyone that says there is no footsies and no defensive game in MKx is just so wrong it is laughable. I mean how can you take someone seriously who says that. It is like arguing with someone about who stared in mad max and them bringing up a interesting point about street lamps.