What's new

Question What is the general consensus on the patches? And what should be added/removed?

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Well, from what I've checked, the changes they made were primarly to a few of his attacks, namely, the colsize aka collision size (in other words, the hitboxes), they slightly reduced the hitbox of these attacks. (I'm reading this directly from the tweakvars: attack1, attack1down, attack2, attack2away, attack3, attack3towards_2, attack3towards, attack4, attack4away, attack4towards_1n2, attack4towards. It's easy to guess the numbers of the attacks correspond to the traditional 1234 button layout used in this game.)
They also tweaked attack1_1_4away_3_allow2in1: it originally was 00 00 00 01, before it was changed to 00 00 00 00.
From what I've found, he originally had a couple of block infinites that were patched out. I'm guessing this is how they did it.
Outside of mostly adjusting the collision sizes (there were some bugfixes with the air blasts, but the tweakvars don't show any signs of them having been modified, most likely it was a bug present in another part of Kabal's script that wasn't the variables) they didn't do much with his tweakvars. Given how ridiculous his pressure can get, I'm amazed, honestly, how NRS didn't fix him.
Ok guys, If I don't come back in a couple of hours or more, that's because I fell asleep from exhaustion, often have trouble sleeping at night lately, haha. I'll try to make a mod out of Kabal: namely, I'm going to remove the armor from the spindash, reduce the damage from the gas blast, and tweak the cancel speed of the spindash, to make it slower, and hopefully, far more punishable than before.

sorry havent read every page but just wanted to notice that there was a good thread floating around and it was about THAT LAST PATCH mk9 needed, maybe someone will post link.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@Eddy Wang has a very comprehensive list that the community agreed to a while back.

Here's mine though:

Jade:
1. BF3 makes her immune to all zoning without exception including but not limited to:
Freddy's claws
Kenshi's spirits (Ex spirits still hit since otherwise the character would be pretty helpless with this change)
Sektor's flame thrower, etc
2. Ex BF3 no longer takes additional damage.
3. Standing 3 gains additional reach.
4. Standing 12 natural combos into all of her specials.
5. U3 hits mid again.
6. Damage scaling adjusted by -3% so that she does not outdamage most of the cast with 12 into staff overhead
7. 342 launches to immediate height and it combos into itself three times.
8. Staff Overhead hits for the whole duration of the move, the staff is a hitbox, the body is a hurtbox so that it does not grant invincibility.
9. EX Staff Overhead launches to immediate height for a true reset.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang has a very comprehensive list that the community agreed to a while back.

Here's mine though:

Jade:
1. BF3 makes her immune to all zoning without exception including but not limited to:
Freddy's claws
Kenshi's spirits (Ex spirits still hit since otherwise the character would be pretty helpless with this change)
Sektor's flame thrower, etc
2. Ex BF3 no longer takes additional damage.
3. Standing 3 gains additional reach.
4. Standing 12 natural combos into all of her specials.
5. U3 hits mid again.
6. Damage scaling adjusted by -3% so that she does not outdamage most of the cast with 12 into staff overhead
7. 342 launches to immediate height and it combos into itself three times.
8. Staff Overhead hits for the whole duration of the move, the staff is a hitbox, the body is a hurtbox so that it does not grant invincibility.
9. EX Staff Overhead launches to immediate height for a true reset.
good times

NSR

well guys, got some bad news: wasn't able to find the value for the gas blast damage, however, I was able to remove the armor from the EX spindash.(and as a result, it no longer acts as a true wakeup, I was able to cancel it by simply spamming d3 over and over)
as for the cancelling, well, I edited this tweakvar called spindash_cancel_speed, thinking this was the culprit behind his NDC...it instead controls that little animation that sometimes occurs when you cancel the spindash where Kabal stands there and moves his two hands(like REO described in his Kabal nerf file) Yeah, it controls THAT animation.
However, I believe it is possible to change some of the pad info(inputs, but only dpad moves, no punch/kick/block) for the special moves, and there is a specific file in the script(not part of the tweakvars) that handles the cancel: Theoretically, it would be possible to outright disable the cancel by changing the input to be either Up or just writing 00 all over it.
But I reckon that would be too extreme, thing is, I'm still checking out whether or not is it possible to delay the cancel. If it isn't possible, should I outright disable the cancel?

Last edited:

NSR

Well, I have disabled the NDC. for now, until I can find the proper frame data, this will do(after all, Kabal still has other tools to work with, like the gas blasts, for instance, he's not entirely crippled IMO) and the EX spindash armor has also been removed. Couldn't find the gas blast damage variables yet (I found the non EX buzzsaw ones, though, but not for blocking damage, these were previously undocumented).
I'm going to work on Kano now, after he's done, I'll post a video demonstrating the changes, with a link to download the modded files. btw, I know this is late, but Merry Xmas to you all!

I believe Kabal should lose the Gas Blast and keep the NDC, because it is what makes Kabal unique and fun in MK9. Despite how ridiculous his pressure can get, I think it is the combination of great zoning and great pressure that enabled Kabal to be so dominant. If he loses the zoning, then he is not as much of a scary force from all ranges. Kabal losing the NDCs and having to rely a lot more on instant air Gas Blasts would make him pretty boring to watch, in my opinion. I imagine that more people find him fun primarily for the NDCs, not the iaGB zoning.

NSR, thank you for the work you are putting into this mod! You may disregard this post of mine for now, since everything is a work-in-progress and you are still looking around the files for the settings and value stuff.

NSR

removing the gas blasts? IDK man. I thought about slowing them down, but thing is, I don't want to make Kabal the next Kano, ya know.
Speaking of which...Kano,man, you need some buffs ASAP.
anyways, I'm happy you are liking this man, and you are (and everyone else) absolutely welcome. For the record, the Kabal tests were conducted on 1.01 MK9(the only Kabal data that was patched doesn't affect my hacks, so it's all perfect) and, the KE files work on the non KE PS3 version of MK9. This is actually very good, because this would allow the creation of a PKG that contains the modpack that you can install to the hdd: I'm gonna explain this a little more. See, MK9's non KE PS3 editions install it's assets to the HDD and not only that, but also the patches + DLC(this is why the patches were called compatibility packs, the DLC was on the patch) and thing is, back in 1.00 and 1.01 MK9, you could add any file to the DLC folder (make sure to create a folder there first) and it would override the file in the disc/backup (barring a few files like Announcer SFX, the Startup file, you could replace characters, fatalities, etc). Possibly a bug not recognizing DLC properly, but still odd. It was patched out in 1.02, and only certain files would be recognized (namely character files, but even then, you had to add a DLC ini, mimicking that of the other DLC characters for the game to properly recognize it). This could be awesome, as it would allow the creation of a custom patch for the non KE editions(it would definitely make the game's install size bigger,though) without tampering with the files of the disc/backup. KE PS3 users however, will have to replace files in their disc/backup.
I know I'm spoiling myself a little here, but it's possible to add arenas in the game via cloning and modifying the arenas present(yes, you read that correctly). I wouldn't be surprised if Arena DLC was planned, but cut, for...IDK really what reasons. There are references in the game's scripts and ini files towards costumes that never made it to the retail version (Cyberzero_b, Cyber Zero only has _c costume, which stands for the classic MK3 costume, then there's Rederma and Rederma_b which is Beta Skarlet, and finally, Mileena_C, aka MK2 Mileena. Apparently, she wasn't planned from the get go as a Vita exclusive.)
Who knows, maybe some extra stuff outside balancing will be added into the modpack...

NSR

well, I've been buffing Kano, and I've come across the following facts: the "startframe" hashes for several attacks seems (I need further testing) to affect at what frame the attack becomes active, rather than affecting the startup, for that, you need to alter the speed hashes. (I've been taking notes from the Rainbown Edition thread, btw)
Speaking of speed...I've been also looking at the Knife throw(knifetoss in internal game files)'s speed: it's handled by 3 speed hashes + projectile velocity hashes.
I've been modifying the first hash, and it seems to affect BOTH Knife moves (EX and non EX, there's no EX toss speed hash in the variables, curiously enough) and, get this, I was able to speed up both of them to the point that if you are at fullscreen, as soon as the knife toss animation is over... you can throw another one...AND THE PREVIOUS KNIFE WILL COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR. Even more noticeable with the EX version, where it's even faster (I'm convinced speed2 handles the non EX version, and speed3 handles the EX version. But I need to test it)
Seriously, NRS, what the hell were you thinking with Kano when you made him?
As for the 112 combo and the Choke hitting Mid (Choke being mid is a frequent request), I've succesfully been able to make them hit Mid, but Choke has a rather nasty habit of whiffing if the opponent crouches, unless you are in the corner (thanks to a pathetically small colsize/hitbox) and even then it tends to whiff.
112 occassionally will whiff in the corner as well, but generally tends to connect in all situations.
EX Ball(horizontal) has had it's armor duration slightly increased, but thanks to how MK9 handles the frame data, it's a pain to tell exactly how many frames does it last now.
Finally, regarding the inputs: It's possible to alter the dpad/movement sections, but it's unknown how to add Punch/Kick/Block to the moves(this applies to finishers as well, even Xrays) thing is, MK9 handles it's input data strangely: there's a couple of hashes that handle generic direction inputs (up,down,away, towards) but nothing in regards to Punch,Kick or Block, or anything, really, and the input data for the moves only contains the directional inputs, but no punches, kicks, nothing. It's really bizarre.
That's the only thing preventing me from changing the Ball input to BF+4, to match the MKX input (not to mention, a far better input than what we got in MK9)
I'll keep you updated. BTW, should I upgrade some of Kano's damage? his F3,3 combo does too little damage IMO.

NSR

Okay, for now, these are the changes in a nutshell. (no frame data because all I have is floats and hex values which can't be accurately translated by just reading them. Sorry!) I've been taking notes of the Rainbown thread and other suggestions I've seen online, and these have been implemented:
Kabal
-NDC removed.
-EX Nomad Dash armor removed.

Kano
-Slightly increased the duration of EX Ball's(Horizontal) armor.
-B2 is faster.
-F3 is faster.
-Knife Throw and it's EX counterpart, the Knife Toss have faster startup.
-112 (specifically the last hit, 2) now hits Mid. Hitbox has been slightly adjusted so it does not whiff on crouching opponents.
-Choke and it's EX counterpart now hit Mid. Hitbox has been altered so it does not whiff on crouching opponents.

However, I'm not done yet, I'm planning to edit 4 other characters, and then release the first demo to the public. (It will be koming soon, next week)
Next characters: Kenshi, Cyrax, Noob Saibot and Sub-Zero.
Kenshi and Cyrax will be nerfed, Noob and Sub will be buffed.

Last edited:

NSR

Injustice does have, thankfully, moddable tweakvars...but only on PC as far as I'm aware.
Why? because they encrypted the PS3 scripts. That's actually one of the main reasons I didn't play IGAU all that much. I knew I wouldn't be able to mod it on PS3 as much as the PC version. I also do not know how much of the tweakvars were documented for IGAU.
I think I should get this out of the way: guys, I have no interest in modding Injustice. At all. Sorry.
As for engine bugs, well the startup xxx(that's the file extension) archive does contain a lot of gameplay related stuff (like AI, PlayerSelect, Story mode script, gamelogic, etc) but in regards as to HOW to fix that, well, you got me. It may require some advanced coding and I'm really not that experienced, if that were the case.
As for new frames, I only have the hexadecimal values. I would need to manually calculate the frame data, and I really don't know how to do it. Besides, I'm looking at Kano again, gonna change the Knife Throw: It's a little too easy to spam, and the EX version,while this is hard to time now, is subject to the same bug I discovered earlier (namely, Kano's programmed to have only one of each type on screen, if he tries having a second non EX or EX Knife on screen, the other one of the same type will disappear if it hasn't connected with the opponent yet). I'm holding off on upgrading the projectile velocity, but it may be necessary on the EX version. Should Kano receive a damage boost as well? some of his combos don't do that much damage.
another thing: I've seen many people go all over the place with this, should Reptile's Elbow Dash be nerfed or not? another thing, a user requested the distance of the normal dash being extended: as it stands, the values are unknown, possibly undocumented or related to data1 files (in other words, not a tweak var) but it is possible to speed up his dash.
In fact, it is possible to speed up, slow down, dashes, walk speed, whether it's first couple of steps or the general walk cycle, as well as ducking or going to ducking animations.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Injustice does have, thankfully, moddable tweakvars...but only on PC as far as I'm aware.
Why? because they encrypted the PS3 scripts. That's actually one of the main reasons I didn't play IGAU all that much. I knew I wouldn't be able to mod it on PS3 as much as the PC version. I also do not know how much of the tweakvars were documented for IGAU.
I think I should get this out of the way: guys, I have no interest in modding Injustice. At all. Sorry.
As for engine bugs, well the startup xxx(that's the file extension) archive does contain a lot of gameplay related stuff (like AI, PlayerSelect, Story mode script, gamelogic, etc) but in regards as to HOW to fix that, well, you got me. It may require some advanced coding and I'm really not that experienced, if that were the case.
As for new frames, I only have the hexadecimal values. I would need to manually calculate the frame data, and I really don't know how to do it. Besides, I'm looking at Kano again, gonna change the Knife Throw: It's a little too easy to spam, and the EX version,while this is hard to time now, is subject to the same bug I discovered earlier (namely, Kano's programmed to have only one of each type on screen, if he tries having a second non EX or EX Knife on screen, the other one of the same type will disappear if it hasn't connected with the opponent yet). I'm holding off on upgrading the projectile velocity, but it may be necessary on the EX version. Should Kano receive a damage boost as well? some of his combos don't do that much damage.
another thing: I've seen many people go all over the place with this, should Reptile's Elbow Dash be nerfed or not? another thing, a user requested the distance of the normal dash being extended: as it stands, the values are unknown, possibly undocumented or related to data1 files (in other words, not a tweak var) but it is possible to speed up his dash.
In fact, it is possible to speed up, slow down, dashes, walk speed, whether it's first couple of steps or the general walk cycle, as well as ducking or going to ducking animations.
Reptile's elbow dash is -15 on block. Everybody can punish it. The people complaining are the online warriors. This is why we have stupid block stun in MKX...

I say leave it the way it is. Easy to punish, people just need to practice.

NSR

oh, now that you just mentioned online, guys, I think it goes without saying STAY OFF THE SERVERS/ONLINE MP IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL THIS MOD.
If you install this mod and go online, you are on your own. If I can figure out how the main menu works, I may replace the online option. Either way, I've heard the netcode is broken as hell, is that true? Never really played MK9 online before.

NSR

If I can find a way to replace the online option, would anyone mind?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
well guys, got some bad news: wasn't able to find the value for the gas blast damage, however, I was able to remove the armor from the EX spindash.(and as a result, it no longer acts as a true wakeup, I was able to cancel it by simply spamming d3 over and over)
as for the cancelling, well, I edited this tweakvar called spindash_cancel_speed, thinking this was the culprit behind his NDC...it instead controls that little animation that sometimes occurs when you cancel the spindash where Kabal stands there and moves his two hands(like REO described in his Kabal nerf file) Yeah, it controls THAT animation.
However, I believe it is possible to change some of the pad info(inputs, but only dpad moves, no punch/kick/block) for the special moves, and there is a specific file in the script(not part of the tweakvars) that handles the cancel: Theoretically, it would be possible to outright disable the cancel by changing the input to be either Up or just writing 00 all over it.
But I reckon that would be too extreme, thing is, I'm still checking out whether or not is it possible to delay the cancel. If it isn't possible, should I outright disable the cancel?
I wasn't really aware you were patching the game, here is my old patching list if it helps, besides i don't think all should be considered as well, just the ones that makes them functional, also some of those ideas are already in MKX

Do not remove the invincibility of the moves either, MKX already has that and no one liked as well.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/mk9-patch-rainbown-edition.46589/