What's new

Question What is the general consensus on the patches? And what should be added/removed?

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Given that MK9 can be modded, what would be necessary to make MK9 more balanced?(like the MK2/UMK3 Tournament Edition hacks)
IMO, Kabal's NDC, hell, himself, breaks the game.
Kano would pretty much need a big buff to be worth playing. He's pretty darn slow.
But I'm not a pro player, that's why I'm asking you guys, I would like to mod the game to make it more balanced. (for the record, I know how to mod it,the question is what to fix,as stated earlier)

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Oooh I wanted to mod the game and balance it myself. I'd rather you do it though, this is awesome! It'll come out a lot sooner than I'd be able to do it (years). I'm not a pro and I haven't thought this stuff out fully, but initally this is what I'm thinking.

Here's something for Kabal, by THE Kabal himself:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/kabal-nerfs-file.40279/

For Smoke, remove his resets. Allow Smoke Bomb to connect after 214. That's all.

For Cyrax, I'd say to fix the whole reset issue just do not allow two nets to come out in the same combo and/or allow one EX bomb and one bomb to come out per combo. Also add more damage scaling to bomb and EX bomb, he has the ability to do way too much damage and those specials before net in a combo do so little scaling, either that or increase the gravity on them.

For Kenshi. Ugh. Remove him. Nah but seriously without trying to kill him, I'd say make EX spirit charge -5 on block and pushback less. EX Rising Karma should be -11 on block. His meter building is tad high, but if he gets the nerfs I suggested then his meter building should be changed a little too but not that drastically:
On Block only.
Specials
- EX Spirit Charge, reduce it from 18% down to 13%
- Ex Teleflurry, reduce it from 27% down to 15%

I'm sorry, I can't remember all of the meter building numbers for all of the cast or all of Kenshi so I won't be commenting much on it really anymore or in depth at all. Didn't realise how much I had forgotten in this game lmao. It's a shame, because some characters really just need meter building to be improved to become a lot better and I can't even give you that information :/

For Sonya, her EX Cartwheel is now -12 on block and has only 2 hits of armour (I'm not crazy, I removed the super armour however EX cartwheel isn't active until 24 or 23 frames iirc so 1 hit of armour would easily get broken. She is very unsafe now remember). Military stance -> Overhead is now -11 down from -3, low is now -5 down from +1.

For Sub Zero, standing 2 should be a true mid. Start-up of ice puddle should go from 55 down to 30. Ex Ice Puddle should re-gain its properties from before the patch ;) Standing 4 should have its startup reduced from 20 frames down to 14. D2 startup should be reduced from 12 to 8. The recovery on slide, oh my god, I can't remember the frame data for it but just take a massive chunk of it away so he doesn't die on whiff compeletly.

I really can't be bothered typing anymore at this point, I still have Jade to do. She needs a frame data overhaul. There's a bunch of frame data that needs to change on the low tiers and of course some adjustments to be made to the top tier. I'll hopefully get back and update this post with more characters. I need sleep, that's all haha.

Last edited:

NSR

For the record, this is possible on both PS3 and PC. Technically possible on X360, but there are no script extractors for that version, IIRC. It would definitely take longer to figure out the character's variables on that version.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Sub-Zero:

Reduce the recovery frame on ice puddle & increase its start-up

Increase the start-up frame on Iceball

Cyrax:

Increase the recovery frames on Net

Decrease the hitbox on Net

Increase the recovery frames on Bombs

Make D4 neutral on hit

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
what about Cyber Sub? his Iceball is quite slow(not the ball itself, the startup, I mean) should it be buffed/speed increased?)
Cyber Sub is one I unfortunately miss lol but yea his start-up on his iceball definitely needs a buff and also his ice bombs need to be fix so it can able to freeze consistently instead of randomly.

Error

DF2+R2
Kano:

remove the gaps in literally all of his strings
choke is a special mid
kano ball input changed to BF4
less recovery frames on whiffed air kano ball could be cool

Jade:
Increased damage on overhead staff
Increased damage all around like fuck lol
12 now has more cancel advantage so you can now link overhead staff.
12 is plus 5 on hit.
Reduced recovery on all boomerang by 20 frames
Removed gaps in strings 21F2, 342.
Decreased startup frames on overhead staff by 5 frames.

Scott The Scot

Jade:
Increased damage on overhead staff
Increased damage all around like fuck lol
12 now has more cancel advantage so you can now link overhead staff.
12 is plus 5 on hit.
Reduced recovery on all boomerang by 20 frames
Removed gaps in strings 21F2, 342.
Decreased startup frames on overhead staff by 5 frames.
Meter building. She needs better meter building dude lol.

Scott The Scot

Updated my post. I will come back an edit in some more characters and work my way around most of the cast eventually, just really tired atm lol.

NSR

guys, sorry for my noobness, but with gaps in combos, what do you mean exactly? you mean, opportunities where the opponent can break that character's combo?
also, if you don't mind, and I'm being downright serious with this: Goro, Kintaro, Shao Kahn and Kratos. Anybody who has played as them(likely in the case of Kratos, not too sure about the bosses)
I do know Kahn has an insanely easy infinite with the Hammer Throw, that will be fixed by accelerating the recovery of the opponent/ slowing down Kahn's throw(slightly) not to mention, his 100% combos with the Shoulder Charge move.
If I can get this project off the ground (gonna do some POCs soon, with 1.01 MK9, that's the version I have, I'll get KE soon,though, and the mod will be released for that specific version) , I'll balance these characters as well.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
guys, sorry for my noobness, but with gaps in combos, what do you mean exactly? you mean, opportunities where the opponent can break that character's combo?
also, if you don't mind, and I'm being downright serious with this: Goro, Kintaro, Shao Kahn and Kratos. Anybody who has played as them(likely in the case of Kratos, not too sure about the bosses)
I wouldnt bother with the bosses, honestly. Spend the effort balancing the rest of the game first.

"Gaps in combos" people actually mean gaps in strings. You'll need to adjust the frame data so that opponents cant poke out of strings in the middle of them.

Scott The Scot

1.01 MK9, that's the version I have
Damn man. I've been making nots based on the latest version of the game. They are veeery different. Kabal wasn't even a pain back then iirc. DLC wasn't out. If your project is for 1.01 then I can't help you, sorry! :(

NSR

oh,I see. thanks man.
True, i'll focus on the rest of the cast, besides, Bosses are whole different deal, given that they can't jump nor have normal attacks like most characters: thing is, it may be really easy to nerf them, but there's a risk I'll end up nerfing them too much and they'll end up useless in competitive play.
guys, any suggestions for Sheeva?
Scott, i'm going to use that version as POC, but the final version will be based off the Komplete Edition.

NSR

also, for the record, with a modded PS3, it's possible to use 1.01 MK9 (hell, even 1.00 IIRC) with the DLC.
The reason i'm going for the KE(outside of that being the only version available for PC) and not MK9 1.05 is because the mkos(those files that have the balance changes) are directly incorporated into a character's script, rather than being separate (might seem more logical to edit the mkos, but remember, those only affect certain parts, not the entire character, this is precisely why I prefer the KE, since you can have complete control of a character)

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
A lot of people talked about modding, but nothing more impressive than reskins and camera mods were ever done. I thought it was due to a lack of dev tools but I dont know much about that shit. If anyone is serious about this though, I'd even be tempted to donate some money to the project. Give me a great reason to reinstall MK9 so I can uninstall MKX before I blow money on tri-borg.

NSR

don't need money man, and for the record, project is being developed first on PS3, that's currently ther only version I have of MK9,but it will be ported over to PC eventually (I'll talk to Unclefestor, he can probably help out)

Error

DF2+R2
I just double checked his frame data just now, by "literally all", you mean three? lol
I don't really literally remember all of his literal strings, I only literally vaguely remember a video pointing out that most of his literal main strings had armorable gaps in them. -shrug-

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I don't really literally remember all of his literal strings, I only literally vaguely remember a video pointing out that most of his literal main strings had armorable gaps in them. -shrug-
That was kind of the thing though, "armorable" gaps, not everybody had armor in MK9. Not to mention his main mid normal was still relatively OK by itself IIRC. (which is far more than what could be said about Stryker)

Don't get me wrong, Kano was almost certainly still a bottom 10 character whatever way you slice it and could do with adjustments, but if someone was really enthusiastic and informed enough to go ahead with stripping down MK9 and completely ironing out the issues, it's probably best for us not to just give out information on a whim lol.