What's new

What features/balance changes/5th char would you like to see in USF4?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
What is it about Ultras that are scrubby, or 'not about skill', as you would put it?

VS Ryu, you have to watch out for shoryus when he has 2 bars, so you have to just bait it out, then he can't ultra you outside of a focus crumple or anti-air LP shoryu.

As much as you may dislike it, a game that is interesting to watch will have a better following. Better following = more sales for Capcom. It's in their best interest to create a game that has a large following.

They've already put in a few measures against overpowering Ultras. An ultra that is combo'd into will never do 100% of its original damage; after a focus crumple, an ultra will only do 70%. They've also toned down Ultra damage from vanilla to super, and in USF4, they've noticed that Rufus' Ultra netted him too much damage, so they're nerfing the damage slightly. Actions have also been taken against Abel's ultras, Bison's U2, etc. through the series.

*Edit*

Also, they have a system in place to help the attacker. Stun.
The scrubby part of ultras are that you are rewarded for losing. That's dumb. The part about sales is true, but it is a sad reality. I will also agree that they have done a good job of minimizing the random comeback factor. That doesn't mean it's not there.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I hate all of those mechanics except super. Because you build that by initiating offense also. And don't you think you should be rewarded for being in the lead? If I get a 70 percent health lead, I shouldn't have to work as hard, because I already have done most of work, and at that point It's up to you to beat me.
If that's your logic, then modern games are not for you. Old school games had no meter in it and super moves, so the comeback factor was much harder. I imagine you also didn't like super turbo as well?

The scrubby part of ultras are that you are rewarded for losing. That's dumb. The part about sales is true, but it is a sad reality. I will also agree that they have done a good job of minimizing the random comeback factor. That doesn't mean it's not there.
did you see any japanese players losing because of an random ultra?
u say ultras are scrubby but only a scrub would eat them.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
If that's your logic, then modern games are not for you. Old school games had no meter in it and super moves, so the comeback factor was much harder. I imagine you also didn't like super turbo as well?
I am only 16 so I have only really played newer games. I just stick to games with lesser come back factors which are at this point mortal kombat, injustice, and admittedly street fighter (I'm not contradicting myself, ultras are a come back mechanic but I agree that they are not game breaking). However, games like marvel aren't for me. I really should try out some old school games though, shouldn't I?

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student

Yeah, but you're also rewarded for winning, thanks to stun. It works both ways.

Say you're Ryu and you're at 600+ stun. If I'm Dan and I get a HP xx Koryuken combo on you, that's 235 damage, and you're stunned. If I follow up with j.HK, Cl.HK, Cl.MP xx HP Koryuken, that entire stun combo has done 494 damage. To put that into perspective, Dan's Ultra 1 does 465 raw.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yeah, but you're also rewarded for winning, thanks to stun. It works both ways.

Say you're Ryu and you're at 600+ stun. If I'm Dan and I get a HP xx Koryuken combo on you, that's 235 damage, and you're stunned. If I follow up with j.HK, Cl.HK, Cl.MP xx HP Koryuken, that entire stun combo has done 494 damage. To put that into perspective, Dan's Ultra 1 does 465 raw.
Yeah but being rewarded for winning makes a lot of sense doesn't it? I mean I don't love the idea of stun but it makes a lot more sense than being rewarded for getting hit

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I just stick to games with lesser come back factors which are at this point mortal kombat, injustice, and admittedly street fighter (I'm not contradicting myself, ultras are a come back mechanic but I agree that they are not game breaking)
Um...

-Injustice has respawning interactables that take off huge damage and you can only use a breaker once. Comeback factor is crazy in that game

-MK has safe supers that can be spammed over and over. Need meter for combo breakers as well, but w/no meter, you are fucked for the round badly. This is also the same game that has a char w/a 90% reset

-SF, which game specifically are you talking about?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Um...

-Injustice has respawning interactables that take off huge damage and you can only use a breaker once. Comeback factor is crazy in that game

-MK has safe supers that can be spammed over and over. Need meter for combo breakers as well, but w/no meter, you are fucked for the round badly. This is also the same game that has a char w/a 90% reset

-SF, which game specifically are you talking about?
Learn to dodge interactables. Use them in your spacing game. Mk has broken down a lot, and I hate cyrax so much you don't even know. However, the meter system makes comebacks more difficult, not easier, because you either get a breaker or your ultra.What supers are you talking about? And there was a huge thread about come backs being very hard in injustice. For street fighter, I don't play any of them seriously but I'll be picking up ultra

elegie

Noob
There is no random comeback factor, as I said before, ultras are the easiest attacks to block/avoid and punish in the game. If you throw out a random ultra you are handing your opponent the round. It does take skill to successfully set them up, you don't just get instantly rewarded for losing.

If you are dominating someone the opponents ultra isn't likely to change that, if the round is close you will both end up with access to an ultra. I don't think they are even remotely scrubby and they do NOT enable less skilled players to overcome better opponents. You may not ever like them, but right now you don't seem to have an accurate view of how they actually effect the flow of a match.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Learn to dodge interactables. Use them in your spacing game.
You think it's easier to dodge interactbles than bait out an ultra? The fact you said you don't play SF a lot means you aren't familiar w/how to bait it out yet. Practice more, put more time into it and ultras aren't nearly as scary.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Why do you not already respect wakeup shoryukens then? (Assuming you don't already)

Ultras just mean a wakeup MP shoryu from Ryu does roughly 375 damage instead of 130.
I do but wake ups are necessary because games would become one hit massacres without them. There does have to be some balance. I get where you are coming from though

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You think it's easier to dodge interactbles than bait out an ultra? The fact you said you don't play SF a lot means you aren't familiar w/how to bait it out yet. Practice more, put more time into it and ultras aren't nearly as scary.
I'm not saying they are actually scary! Its that they only come into play when I am winning... interactables are always in play and we both have access to them. It's more the principle of it.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'm not saying they are actually scary! Its that they only come into play when I am winning... interactables are always in play and we both have access to them. It's more the principle of it.
All chars have an ultra and that ultra is very unsafe to punish and if you YOLO it, you can possibly die. Ultras also works as anti airs (some) as well, so there is strategy involved.

Interactables, not all chars can use them the same way and there are many, many situations where you cannot get out of it. Interactables are unblockable, ultras are not.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
All chars have an ultra and that ultra is very unsafe to punish and if you YOLO it, you can possibly die. Ultras also works as anti airs (some) as well, so there is strategy involved.

Interactables, not all chars can use them the same way and there are many, many situations where you cannot get out of it. Interactables are unblockable, ultras are not.
Yeah but both players have the same access to interactables from the beginning of the match to the end. Ultras are earned by losing. Regardless of their effectiveness, they still make the match easier for the loser

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Dude, that's crazy logic. If you are in a bar fight and beating some guys ass, you think he will just give up? No, he's going to look for a bottle to smash you w/ or a weapon, or something drastic. Why are FGs any different? You fight to the end, period, no matter what, you don't get credit for winning 85% of the match, only 100%

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Dude, that's crazy logic. If you are in a bar fight and beating some guys ass, you think he will just give up? No, he's going to look for a bottle to smash you w/ or a weapon, or something drastic. Why are FGs any different? You fight to the end, period, no matter what, you don't get credit for winning 85% of the match, only 100%
I'm not saying he is going to give up, but if I have the advantage because I've beaten the shit out of him, the fight is easier for me from then on. And lol the bottle didn't magically appear cuz he was losing did it