What's new

TYM's Injustice 2 Discussion Thread (Harley Quinn & Deadshot Official Announced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I predict 1 trait per character, and 3 variations per as well.

Or, each character has 3 traits they can choose like Ultras in SF4.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Do you predict the trait to change according to the variation, or to be universal amongst variations?
Universal. I made an edit as well. Either that, or 3 traits you can choose like variations in MKX or ultras in SF4.

Tweedy

Noob
I predict that the gears system will either do nothing for or hurt the competitive scene. It just seems too complex. In order to have good balancing and to operate well at tournaments, I would think that games need to be simple. Variations went about as far as you could go without over-complicating it imo. Thinking that NRS will be able to keep a feature like this under control, balance wise, is more than wishful thinking.

Obviously this is just a speculation thread and i'm doing just that; speculating. However, from what we've read so far, I don't see any positives coming out of it for serious players. Maybe they'll end up having a ranked mode without it and an ability to turn it off, where you can just use bare bones characters. There's no way it'll just be single player only. NRS has good story modes but they didn't implement a huge feature like this for single player only. We're talking about a 2D fighting game, not an open world RPG. Something this big will definitely be online.

With the way Goro was handled, easy fatalities, being able to buy the Krypt, what if they've decided to make it all about micro transactions? What if they think or maybe know(I don't know, again just speculating) that that will make them more money and they just abandon the competitive scene.

Think about what a system like this would mean for tournaments, even if you somehow believe that they'll somehow balance the characters out, with all of the customization. Will everyone have to download their account at each set up at majors, in order to get their specific character? Everyone will take turns leveling up their character the day before pools.

"I only lost because I didn't get enough XP."

Negative speculation rant over.

Edit: To add to the last paragraph, what if a player only plays on xbox and the event is using ps4s. He won't be able to download his profile and get his character. Lol

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Edit: To add to the last paragraph, what if a player only plays on xbox and the event is using ps4s. He won't be able to download his profile and get his character. Lol
Good question, maybe they could implement an Injustice exclusive multiplataform profile.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I just wanna know if 4 is a button for character trait powers or for Gear activation or none of the above now.

I hope stuff like MB B3 returns though. I loved having a meter burn armor tool on every character as well as standardized moves for things like wall bounces , AA, wakeup and combo extenders.

shaowebb

What would be interesting is if alongside of all the other universal stuff NRS does (like D2, B3, etc)is if there was some sort of universal tool for canceling strings. If it was tied to meter or the same bar as breakers (if they go that route or making a seperate bar for breakers like Stamina or whatever) it'd be really interesting. Imagine sacrificing your meter for a combo extension via canceling a string or using a cancel to force someone to block incorrectly and go low on them. This would be very exciting for me.

trufenix

bye felicia
What would be interesting is if alongside of all the other universal stuff NRS does (like D2, B3, etc)is if there was some sort of universal tool for canceling strings. If it was tied to meter or the same bar as breakers (if they go that route or making a seperate bar for breakers like Stamina or whatever) it'd be really interesting. Imagine sacrificing your meter for a combo extension via canceling a string or using a cancel to force someone to block incorrectly and go low on them. This would be very exciting for me.
sad that you've forgotten Injustice already had this.

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
So, I had this idea in the confirmation thread, and it seems like a couple of you guys though this would be cool so I wanted to share! (Bear with me, it's very long but I think it's pretty interesting)

First and foremost, we all know we're 99.99% getting both a classic NRS Story Mode (3-4 hours cinematic story mode) and an arcade ladder mode like in every other fighting game. Also, we now know we're getting loot drops, in the form of Gear upgrades for our superheroes, that are said to give bonus stats, greatly change aesthetics and ''alter the way you play'' (going off what we have so far). We don't have much details about how this is all gonna work, both for online and competitive play, but that's not the subject here. What we DO know is that we're getting this Gear System and it's here to stay.

Personally, I think this sounds like a great idea to give a lot of longevity to the game, add a great aspect of customization and give NRS a way to do a lot of free updates by adding more gear. The only thing that worries me a little is that traditionally, after clearing Story Mode, ladder for every character and completing whatever challenge mode we're given, I see very little incentive to go and play single player, and this has been true so far for every NRS game (for me). If I'm simply going to play 1v1 matches, playing against real opponents is just a much more satisfying experience than playing with the CPU.

So, let's say that you unlocked a bunch of armor pieces throughout this single player experience and want to actually use what you worked for. I think it is very unlikely that ranked matches will allow full customization with stat changes, we'll probably be limited to vanilla characters or at the very least a couple of presets. Granted, they might allow us to keep our aesthetics, but there's no way they'll just throw 30+ characters with 1000+ variables each and claim the game'll be balanced. While the aesthetic aspect would be pretty cool, people are still going to want to feel rewarded when they get that Legendary Kryptonian Plate of Hope with max stats, so I had an idea for a game mode that could let you use your full gear.

Call it Adventure mode or whatever (yeah that's Diablo 3 speaking), start by creating a couple of pre-made chapters where you fight through a bunch of fighters of various universes (GL world, Krypton world, Arkham world, etc. etc.) until you reach a boss fight. No cinematics or anything like that, but don't just give us standard 1v1 fights. First, let us use our full gear. Create a couple of generic NPCs (Arkham inmate, Brainiac bot, Parademon), add cameos by cool DC characters (Kilowog as a skin for Grodd with GL specials, I don't know stuff like that). Let's have endurance matches, tag team battles, boss battles, battles with modifiers, battles with fully geared up CPUs. Add in co-op support so you can go through fight after fights with your favorite friends and you take turns fighting enemies, or maybe you all each start a fight at the same time and if your friend loses his enemy gets tagged with yours with whatever HP he has left.

Then when you're done with the pre-made chapters and have defeated whatever final boss the game has (Ulra Anti-Monitor Sinestro Apokolips Superman-whatever), give us randomly generated encounters like Diablo does it with the Nephalem Rifts. You can have exclusive loot for this mode (aesthetic only if it scares people too much), you can periodically add weekly-monthly updates to create a couple more pre-made challenges and even use this mode to promote new DLC chars. All of this combined could create a never-ending game mode that gives you a good incentive to hunt for loot, to want and equip loot with cool stats and most importantly gives more casual players a mode where they can grind as much as they want and feel ''better'' for it, even if they don't have execution skills. Sure, if they hop on ranked they might get bopped, but at least people who don't want to put 300+ hours into hitting the lab with their oh so favorite Batman can experience feeling powerful in a fighting game and maybe they can even play with us FG afficiandos without having to play AGAINST us for once. Be honest, how many of your regular non-FGC friends actually continue playing with you after the first two weeks of the game's release? Give us local and online co-op and I can promise you NRS, you will be making a shitton of money.

I know that this is just one big TL;DR brainstorm, but I think this sort of never-ending adventure game type could be VERY appealing to the masses and to players that want to exploit this RPG aspect Inj2 is pushing, without threatening the core competitive play that can still thrive on its own. Who knows, maybe they can create a sort of tournament zone in this mode where the top players can go and try to fight the powered up RPG players with their vanilla mains. There are just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

EDIT: While you're at it, throw some kind of guild system and have people fight each other guild v guild just like MKX did it with these 5v5 fights, but with all their super OP loot that makes them feel awesome.

Last edited:

shaowebb

sad that you've forgotten Injustice already had this.
What you mean special cancels and bounce cancels? I mean empty canceling outright. Not into another move. That way its dealers choice of strings and offensive moves afterwards. Even empty cancel into backdash mid string. Its something I thought of when considering string gaps in MKX. What if you could empty cancel backdash and force a whif off an attempt to punish a string gap? Its less predictable and plays some heavy mindgames.

Last edited:
I predict interactables are still a thing because they are stupid and injustice is stupid. They'll be less stupid and actually make throw teching 1+3 like MKX should have been. They'll have a static dashing distance that isn't cancellable because back will still be block. There won't be a run button. They might have variations, but it's going to suck.

trufenix

bye felicia
What you mean special cancels and bounce cancels? I mean empty canceling outright. Not into another move. That way its dealers choice of strings and offensive moves afterwards. Even empty cancel into backdash mid string.
You could dash cancel your bounce cancel and do whatever you wanted after it. Unfortunately it was a meter hungry technique with marginal gain for a scant few characters so nobody cared.

Ironically, it is literally the exact same mechanic (even the same input) that people are now decrying has turned MKX into 50/50 town, just slower (less advantage) and more expensive.

shaowebb

You could dash cancel your bounce cancel and do whatever you wanted after it. Unfortunately it was a meter hungry technique with marginal gain for a scant few characters so nobody cared.

Ironically, it is literally the exact same mechanic (even the same input) that people are now decrying has turned MKX into 50/50 town, just slower (less advantage) and more expensive.
They'll more than likely just have non universal cancels like jump cancellable strings here and there special cancellable stuff , dash cancellable stuff, etc. Sad though. An empty cancel to neutral would let me go for throws mid pressure string and as a Bane player I'd go ham with this.

trufenix

bye felicia
I think the dream would be a Konquest style mode that allows you to "tour" different areas of the DC U and battle against the ghosts of other players, similar to dbz xeno and the old dead or alive lobbies.

trufenix

bye felicia
They'll more than likely just have non universal cancels like jump cancellable strings here and there special cancellable stuff , dash cancellable stuff, etc. Sad though. An empty cancel to neutral would let me go for throws mid pressure string and as a Bane player I'd go ham with this.
Don't lose hope. If they are taking the stage stuff "to the next level" that to me seems like b+3s and f+3s are coming back, and that I assume would re-open the door for the old bounce cancels. The only issue is meter. If they're free like MKX, you'll see a ton of it. If its tied to the same bar that makes armored specials and breakers happen, its still doomed to combo videos at best.

shaowebb

Don't lose hope. If they are taking the stage stuff "to the next level" that to me seems like b+3s and f+3s are coming back, and that I assume would re-open the door for the old bounce cancels. The only issue is meter. If they're free like MKX, you'll see a ton of it. If its tied to the same bar that makes armored specials and breakers happen, its still doomed to combo videos at best.
I honestly hope we see multiple meters in this game. I liked that mobility and breakers were tied to the same bar in MKX. I think if some kind of cancel system was tied to a meter shared with some stuff it'd be good...just so long as its not tied to the same bar as allllllll the other stuff.

Building a meter balance for MB, cancels, breakers, and other tools is pretty crucial. Its the thing I am probably the most eager to see in a gameplay reveal trailer. Gear is neat and all but thats more of a "Mode" announcement for me. I want to know about meter so I can start figuring out meta and how I should handle my gameplan out there in regards to combo length and asset management.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
While is been a flurry of news for Injustice 2 today there was one article that i Felt slipped under the radar here on TYM @Pig Of The Hut actually tweeted pics from said article on twitter as well!

Rolling Stone put out and interview article featuring DC head Geoff Johns and Ed Boon and there are a few things to take away from it:

• Injustice was a surprise success for NetherRealm, DC and Warner Bros. The game was expected to do well on consoles, but it also spawned a mobile hit and a bestselling line of comic books. "The goals for the sequel," says NetherRealm creative director Ed Boon, "are to do something unexpected and long-term."
  • I'm not sure how unexpected it is now that he's telling us about it, but Boon's goal is to bring the ideas that have infused multiplayer shooters over the past several years – things like personalization, character creation, loot, leveling up – into a fighting game. "Kind of like what Destiny did with shooters," he explains.
  • Every character in Injustice 2 will have "a vast, vast array of what we're calling gear" – costume pieces and equipment that are used to upgrade your abilities – according to Boon. The superhero you start controlling at the beginning of the game won't have the same skills as the one you end with. Players will determine whether they want more speed, more health, more strength, and the like.
  • "There are thousands and thousands of pieces for, let's say, the Flash," he says. "You are in the constant process of making your version of the Flash.
  • "The plot for Injustice 2 will continue the storyline from the first game, a kind of Star Trek mirror universe in which Superman has become a tyrant in the name of world peace. Unlike Marvel, DC doesn't insist that all of its storylines intersect into a single "canon."
  • "DC has this great infinite multiverse concept," Boon says. "That allows us to do really creative stuff, and it doesn't break the DC lore.

• Some fans – I'm one – saw the influence of Arkham and Injustice on the visual style and even the plotting of Batman v. Superman. "Some of it's true, and some of it might be coincidence," Johns says. "But yeah, absolutely." At the same time, Johns cautions fans not to examine Injustice 2 for hints into the future of the DC extended universe. "They're separate completely," he explains.
I guess this gives a peak into the mindset of what they are going for...

Discuss away!

(Pullet Points Pulled from source: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/injustice-2-dc-comics-coo-ed-boon-reveal-game-secrets-20160608?page=2 )

shaowebb

Kind of sounds like a test your luck ladder mode but instead of things like "Headless Kombat" you end up with different gear loadouts on an opponent each time. I kind of see this as something that would happen already with ladders anyhow.

Touring the DCU and battling user ghosts sounds like a deeper extension of this as Trufenix mentioned. I know in games like Marvel Puzzle Quest you setup your team and when you enter a bracket all it does is leave a "ghost" version of your team with your exact stats and tools that the AI uses against folks during their player matches . I could see an Adventure mode that uploads your loadout, stats and whatever of gear into itself for folks to take on. Maybe like a battle for territory like a Splatfest in Splatoon with team Regime, and team Insurgent competing for Metropolis or whatever. If adventure mode updated with different events where you had to choose to play only certain characters or certain gear it'd be really cool. Sort of like when folks would do Ratio tournaments for KoF where each character had a point value and you only had so many points to spend to choose your team. Ratio matches in adventure mode events could be like certain gear only or certain cast only. We've seen them do heroes only/villains only arcade ladders so this isn't too far fetched...just don't know if they'd go full ratio style and assign point values to gear and characters in an event and give you only so many points to build a character to compete as in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.