What's new

TYM's Injustice 2 at E3 2016 Thread

Here are some less gross Superman costumes.
Still not perfect, but I'll take anything over what was shown in the very first gameplay trailer.

Anyone else think he looks like Ray Liota?
Based on screens like these: I genuinely think there will wind up being at least one configuration that everyone can enjoy for their main....at least aesthetically. My biggest fear though is that you'll wind up having to use an armor piece you can't stand looking at because it gives you +5 meter building.....but nobody panic yet. Lets see how NRS explains it.

EDIT: I mean lets be serious here though guys...assuming everything turns out fine with the gear stat system....the *IDEA* of having a unique avatar for your main is *GOLD*.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Either I'm going crazy, or it looks like every returning character has the same moves from the first game
Some people have been critical of that and calling them lazy but i think its a good thing. It rewards people who have been loyal to the series. A lot of other games do this like tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soul Calibur to an extent. Also I think if they focus less on balancing new moves, and just tweaking the old ones we'll get a better balanced game as they'll have more time to focus on other things.

btw i wasnt saying you were calling it bad, i was just giving my two cents lol

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
I'm not sure how I feel about the re-used movesets. On one hand, it's not a new thing for me, seeing as how Smash does this with every release, but I was really hoping to see less 'janky' moves, like Batman's straight grapple for example. On the other hand, less development time is used on the returning cast, allowing for a bigger roster (theoretically) and a more expansive experience, which I'm all for.

PSA: They really need to change Batman's idle pose, if nothing else.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I really worry about this armor thing and hope it just adds special moves/certain passives and not actual crazy stat things. I want to have a unique sleuth of characters and not the obviously best armor that everyone will be forced to wear or ugly pieces that don't fit but give the best stats

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Idk if it's been said before but the moves don't have to be EXACTLY the same from injustice 1 to 2. They can add or remove a few moves as well as just change moves. Injustice 1 could just be a new step 1 in designing batman

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
If returning characters do retain some of their old moves and BnBs, I wonder how significant the gap in known tech will be between them and the new characters.

Is it me, or do the graphics look like a huge step backward in quality from MKX? Frankly, it looks exactly like Injustice 1... Maybe the video is just low quality.

MK_Al

Noob
Returning moves are a godsend. Whenever NRS starts over with a brand new formula that is when we get a shit show of balance at release because they dont know how everything works together yet. NRS is going to actually understand how at least half the characters play now, they dont have to guess. The vanilla game might end up being as balanced as a typical last patch NRS game and we might actually be able to play the game out for a while with no patches. It also means more time and resources for new characters. This is incredible, its a win-win scenerio
Like you are reading my mind

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Having the same moveset doesnt exactly mean having the same animations or BnBs... they can make a move / string look different, while keeping the same proprieties or frame data.. for instance, Reptile of course has his forceballs, but they looked and animated different in MKX, wich is refreshing for the eyes.

I'm cool with returning moveset, but i dont wanna see the same Injustice 1 batman / aquaman BnB or moves animations with just updated graphics..

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
Ohh...that's a subtle thing with potentially big implications. Too early to tell at this stage obviously, but rushdown characters getting a closer clash distance versus zoning characters would be really interesting.
OMG I didnt even notice that at first. THANK GOD. One thing I hated about the clash system was being pushed full screen from each other. It rewarded zoners too heavily. Getting in on sinestro, zod, and raven was already a pain, then they would just burn clash to push me back.

On a side note, will GL have a decent dash:DOGE

J.K. prolly not even playing GL this time. Black canary is who Im really interested in, if the rumors are true

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Is it me, or do the graphics look like a huge step backward in quality from MKX? Frankly, it looks exactly like Injustice 1... Maybe the video is just low quality.
Looks great to me, especially colors. Looking at the character models and faces, animations, it looks at least as good as MKX to me, or better.

The thing you have to account for is that Youtube's compression always creates artifacts. That's why color banding was so bad in the CG trailer.

Thefish

One Drink, Two Drink, Three Drink.. More.
Clash system looks tidy. I finally got to see the cat in action! Super girl looks like she's going to be a hassle to handle. Grodd and atrocitus look like they have command grabs! I'm so keen!!!

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Superman's cape looks like cheap plastic.

They better explain the gear system, whether it gives characters new moves or not. Watching returning characters using same moves was disappointing.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It's not just Tekken, though. This is something a majority of fighting games do, actually. NRS is just known for going a different route than literally every other fighting games. But if you have a background in other fighting games, this is pretty standard.
I didn't say it was just Tekken, I said a game LIKE Tekken. I acknowledge that other fighting games do this.
We've learned a ton about Injustice over the years. All that knowledge can be applied to a years worth of prerelease adjustments, and then anything post release. If we get to discuss it after, it's on the backbone of many things already discussed in 2015 and 2014 and 2013. On Legacy, they should have already listened, so say MMH would have a punishable teleport on release date. We've already progressed years worth of discussion as opposed to talking about a "new fish summoning 10F normal of Aquaman" Day 1 because everything has been revamped and we're trying to fix so many things.
I mean you're assuming Martian's teleport would be punishable on release. As I said at one point, if they didn't do it before why would they now? The number of things needing fixed won't matter if they actually fix them.
Bro, you just said Raiden wasn't "broken in any capacity" lol. I think you should revisit that statement.

You say MKX is more balanced than before. I agree. Mainly due to extended support is the game more and more balanced with time. Legacy gaming is pretty much a deeper version of extended support into the next game, which helps with overall balance. I can't even think of a game that has gotten worse with balance when continuing off of previous games.
Raiden wasn't broken, there were only a few characters who couldn't poke out of F12 into F12. Getting out was a guess but it didn't mean Raiden was broke, just very strong, so no I don't think I need to revisit anytinhg.

The thing is the game has new mechanics and new characters anyway with entirely new movesets so whether it's half the cast or the whole cast there's still a lot of new stuff to balance.
Can't say in fact, but I'm pretty confident that if MKX was legacy game from MK9 he wouldn't have released with a game breaking mid.
Well 1. "game breaking mid" is an overstatement, it was just a very strong offensive tool, and 2. I wouldn't say lack of legacy is the reason he came out with a mid as strong as that as much as testers not seeing how strong that was before release.
From exactly that, having learned from the last game. I've been critical of some of the decisions before, but there is just noooooo way they can release Inj2 with the exact same MMH teleport, the same Batgirl antics, the same Trident Rush on block, the same Zod trait, the same MMH uber damage OTG's, the same Green Arrow uselessness, the same Cyborg trait, etc. There's no way possible these guys aren't changing the way these tools operate, or changing them altogether, to go with the core character. So I might not be in love with their balancing, but at least it already starts out with some positives from the last game to build on, rather than Superman with a new F32 to replace the old F23 lol.
You're assuming they'll have properly balanced their tools this time around though. It just seems contradictory for you to criticise their balancing decisions but also then suddenly decide they can balance tools properly. Assume Injustice 2 was like Super Injustice 1, with Super Injustice 1 being something like the 1.06 Injustice patch. Could you honestly tell me they'd fix Martian's teleport? They didn't do it in the actual 1.06 Injustice patch, in fact they actually buffed his teleport at one point or another. I can see where you'd be coming from if Namco were balancing it that we might not see this issues but NRS aren't Namco when it comes to balance I'm afraid.

Thefish

One Drink, Two Drink, Three Drink.. More.
I think returning moves is the best option to go with. They'll know where they went wrong last time and adjust frame data, speed, reach etc. was one of the highlights of the video for me to see a lot of moves return. I bet flash has his running man stance or whatever back! Can't wait.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
How would they listen to the community if the game was redone from scratch though? Games like SF4 were muchhh more balanced in the final version than the vanilla version. Because they weren't revamping, they were playing over a long period of time and then adjusting with each new game for better balance. I'll give you a better example. MK9 to MKX. Regardless of the opinion on either game.

-In MKX, it was released with things like RaidenLolMidStarter, KungJinWinsLol, FtierKitana, etc etc. Highly broken stuff either too strong or too weak. Throughout patches they try to fix and adjust soooo many characters, compensating for sooo many variations, which is very likely an impossible balance job to where we're left with a "kinda balanced to a certain extent but not really" game Game was redone from the ground up while also adding 3 variations.

-Now on the flip side of the coin, imagine if MKX was a semi updated MK9. There would have been no RaidenLolMid in the first place, because they would have taken the MK9 version, adjusted him better to the current game, and then moved on to the next with no variations over complicating things. Or Balanced Kenshi, who has changes that would've worked in MK9 but makes him crap in MKX because the game/chars are so different from what was MK9. All the time not spent on redoing every single character could've went to guys like Kung Jin, who then don't come out as insane on release, Takeda, who doesn't come out getting hit with infinites, Etc. Then all the time not spent patching that stuff after release could be spent on patching the rest of the stuff. 2-3 games later balance is near perfect.

Back to Tekken. Known for its godlike balance. But in the entire series, the most imbalanced Tekken game was Tekken 4, the game where they decided to "revamp" it and do it completely different. When they went back to the legacy formula it regained its balance.

As you already know, I've been superrrr outspoken on NRS balance decisions in the past. Some they get right, some they get wrong, some make no sense. But using the last game as a template will help them balance it better than ever. The easiest way to look at it is "if NRS has to balance a game for a year, is it easier to do it with an existing model adjusted after years of release, or a brand new from scratch model?"
I think there's value to going with an incremental improvement, and building on a foundation, but I think a lot of people are missing a critical element to this decision, and that is appealing to a larger audience. I didn't play Injustice, not once. Yet, I would like to play I2 (Enjoyed MKX, and have played MK since MK1). I know for someone like me, I'm discouraged at the thought of an entire community of people being so far ahead of me. With a new system, new movesets, etc., everyone learns together and no one really has a massive leg up. Why do I want to jump into a game with essentially a 5 year latestart? I think going with the legacy format severely limits casuals or people like myself trying to get involved with the community, while it may simultaneously be more appealing to players of the first game.

I don't know....it's a game that original came out on the last gen systems (tho it was ported...), why wouldn't you rebuild? I could see if it was the third injustice on current hardware or something going legacy, but a jump in hardware to me makes systemic and large scale changes not only ok, but almost mandatory.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
The only negative I have with Injustice going the legacy route, a lot of the Injustice cast was pretty straight forward and boring to play.

Like Batman and Aquaman need some tweaks to diversify their gameplay, but Superman? They need to heavily rework that mother fucker.
He needs a whole new set of normals and a few new specials.
That dude was just so bland to play in that game.
Dude Superman was GODLIKE

I hope they don't touch him at all, I loved playing him in Injustice. Maybe some trait stuff to save the Inj2 Grundys and Doomsdays from the bodying that comes with trait breaking armor

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Who is complaining about moves returning?
No one is complaining about them having the same specials or similar moves we expected that but it's literally all the same normals and same combos, like for batman nothing has changed at all, if it's a base move set that changes with gear that's cool but if these reused animations that are exactly the same as IGAU are all people will be understandably pissed. No mortal kombat game has ever done this. EVER.