What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I'm looking to pick up Aquaman. I've got a few basic combos down for him, but what do you guys use as the most damaging BnB's?

Also, what is a good general strategy with Aquaman? I've found myself playing a bit more of a keep away game with ground tridents until I have the upper hand to move in to footsie range to strike with his reach.

I'm looking to pick up Aquaman. I've got a few basic combos down for him, but what do you guys use as the most damaging BnB's?

Also, what is a good general strategy with Aquaman? I've found myself playing a bit more of a keep away game with ground tridents until I have the upper hand to move in to footsie range to strike with his reach.
Hey! I'm the only wv aquaman! I

If you come by I can show you what I know.

My bnb is b12 db2 b12 db2(mb) b12(I don't remember if 22 works here) scoop f21+3

Anyone I've been using him about two weeks or so... HGTV Soapboxfan is more knowledgeable

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.

Love the signature by the way.

BnBs that I like to use
B3, J3, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
F3, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
B12, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
B12, From the Deep, B12, From the Deep MB, 22, From the Deep
D1, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
F1 ~ 3, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3

When using Aquaman I prefer to use a mix between keep away and rush down. Pressure with F1 followed by B12. Aquaman's mixup game with B2 ~Trident Scoop is deadly when used properly.

I hope this helps.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Hey! I'm the only wv aquaman! I

If you come by I can show you what I know.

My bnb is b12 db2 b12 db2(mb) b12(I don't remember if 22 works here) scoop f21+3

Anyone I've been using him about two weeks or so... HGTV Soapboxfan is more knowledgeable
That would be great. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but I'll be down next.

Love the signature by the way.

BnBs that I like to use
B3, J3, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
F3, 22, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
B12, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
B12, From the Deep, B12, From the Deep MB, 22, From the Deep
D1, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3
F1 ~ 3, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep (Normal or MB), F2 ~ 1+3

When using Aquaman I prefer to use a mix between keep away and rush down. Pressure with F1 followed by B12. Aquaman's mixup game with B2 ~Trident Scoop is deadly when used properly.

I hope this helps.
I shot you a message on XBL asking the same haha Thanks on the sig, Animated Series Batman is the best

I use the B12, trident scoop combo. It gets some good damage. I saw Tom Brady use a combo that went up to around 40 yesterday. Do you have any B2 starters?

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
That would be great. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but I'll be down next.

I shot you a message on XBL asking the same haha Thanks on the sig, Animated Series Batman is the best

I use the B12, trident scoop combo. It gets some good damage. I saw Tom Brady use a combo that went up to around 40 yesterday. Do you have any B2 starters?
I like to use B2, Trident Scoop, 22, From the Deep, F2 ~1+3

You can also mix in some MB to From the Deep as well to extend the combo.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
My BnB are anything into FTD mb, b3, j3, 22scoop, fwd2 1+3 or 223 depending on corner. My no meter is anything into FTD, b12 scoop, fwd2 1+3/ 223.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
SO interesting point of discussion. I heard tom say on stream at evo that he does not believe in the "trident rush Aquaman", where you end your strings in rush. He would rash b12 and be able to hit confirm into FTD if it hits, since it is not practical to consistently hit confirm into FTD and block confirm into rush. What are your guys thoughts? I want to wait to share my opinion after I see what other Aquaman players say, because my answer is pretty complicated.

dabuz

Noob
SO interesting point of discussion. I heard tom say on stream at evo that he does not believe in the "trident rush Aquaman", where you end your strings in rush. He would rash b12 and be able to hit confirm into FTD if it hits, since it is not practical to consistently hit confirm into FTD and block confirm into rush. What are your guys thoughts? I want to wait to share my opinion after I see what other Aquaman players say, because my answer is pretty complicated.

It depends on the player and MU. I like to test my opponent's reactions with a couple B12 scoops, F13 scoops, and B2 scoops. If he/ she is having trouble with the mixups or punishing scoops I'll keep doing it. If he/ she blocks, I opt to end any non punishment B12 with trident rush, and mixup my F1 with either F13 xx Scoop/ Rush or F1 xx Scoop/ Rush for the 50-50s. I'm not a big fan of rush since without MB, it's not a large amount of chip damage and it puts Aquaman at a frame disadvantage, with MB that chip is nice and in the corner it's actually really strong pressure, but mid screen a couple hits seem to whiff and overall it's not an efficient way to spend bar unless you have a lot. However Aquaman needs to use rush in order to not get blown up and still have threatening strings. 8% chip 3 or 4 times a match is equivalent to one full combo.

Simpler version: Scout the opponent's ability to block mixups/ crossups, if they can block I rush for b12 unless I have a punish or a specific frame trap (MB water shield in the corner for EX). I mix it up with F1 starters to create solids 50-50s or safe pressure. Not a fan of rush but it applies pressure and AM needs that pressure. MB rush in the corner.

With that said, F1 is an infinitely superior string for AM compared to B12 IMO. At the cost of less damage output and slightly less reach it's a 7F move that can always be 50-50ed into a full combo or safe on block. Also, F132 is completely safe against every character and has nice pushback on block.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It depends on the player and MU. I like to test my opponent's reactions with a couple B12 scoops, F13 scoops, and B2 scoops. If he/ she is having trouble with the mixups or punishing scoops I'll keep doing it. If he/ she blocks, I opt to end any non punishment B12 with trident rush, and mixup my F1 with either F13 xx Scoop/ Rush or F1 xx Scoop/ Rush for the 50-50s. I'm not a big fan of rush since without MB, it's not a large amount of chip damage and it puts Aquaman at a frame disadvantage, with MB that chip is nice and in the corner it's actually really strong pressure, but mid screen a couple hits seem to whiff and overall it's not an efficient way to spend bar unless you have a lot. However Aquaman needs to use rush in order to not get blown up and still have threatening strings. 8% chip 3 or 4 times a match is equivalent to one full combo.

Simpler version: Scout the opponent's ability to block mixups/ crossups, if they can block I rush for b12 unless I have a punish or a specific frame trap (MB water shield in the corner for EX). I mix it up with F1 starters to create solids 50-50s or safe pressure. Not a fan of rush but it applies pressure and AM needs that pressure. MB rush in the corner.

With that said, F1 is an infinitely superior string for AM compared to B12 IMO. At the cost of less damage output and slightly less reach it's a 7F move that can always be 50-50ed into a full combo or safe on block. Also, F132 is completely safe against every character and has nice pushback on block.
I dont want to be a dick, but there is some misinformation here. First thing..... if your opponent isn't blocking scoop correctly, you're playing the wrong people. That stuff should be getting blocked because there is no other option, it can all be fuzzied. B1 is better than fwd 1 because of the range. It out ranges pokes and hits low so it limits your opponents options tremendously, it literally makes aquaman so hard to fight. Fwd132 has at least a 9 frame gap in between the last 2 hits, so that is pretty much useless. Trident rush doesn't whiff midscreen, just dash forward. The frame disadvantage is not a big deal because if it is spaced correctly, you just go back into footsies which you once again dominate with b1. You talk about Aquamans 50 50s which are great, but they have nothing to do with scoop. The mixup with fwd 1 is fwd13 or fwd1, b12. And then even if they block 12 you just rush and get chip meter, and space.

dabuz

Noob
I dont want to be a dick, but there is some misinformation here. First thing..... if your opponent isn't blocking scoop correctly, you're playing the wrong people. That stuff should be getting blocked because there is no other option, it can all be fuzzied. B1 is better than fwd 1 because of the range. It out ranges pokes and hits low so it limits your opponents options tremendously, it literally makes aquaman so hard to fight. Fwd132 has at least a 9 frame gap in between the last 2 hits, so that is pretty much useless. Trident rush doesn't whiff midscreen, just dash forward. The frame disadvantage is not a big deal because if it is spaced correctly, you just go back into footsies which you once again dominate with b1. You talk about Aquamans 50 50s which are great, but they have nothing to do with scoop. The mixup with fwd 1 is fwd13 or fwd1, b12. And then even if they block 12 you just rush and get chip meter, and space.

I said trouble dealing with the mixups, not JUST scoop, but the mixups. Learn to read better because i'm not saying just scoop, it's obvious someone who can't deal with just scoop even is a threat or w/e.

There are def. some people who can fuzzy the stuff if they are familiar with Aquaman, but that's not nearly everyone even on a competitive level. Even then, that's why i'm testing their reactions, to see how they block, if they fuzzy, ect.

I find F1 to be much more useful since it 50-50s (big thing B1 does not do) and that 7 frame startup is amazingly useful. I use both but in most situations I like F1 when I have the choice unless it's a free punish with B1.

F132 is a 9 frame gap, WHOOP DEE DOO, by the time someone reacts to that hit in that string they aren't going to be punishing unless they are supes with super or have a hard read on it. A hard read on a string which isn't used much if at all anyway.

Said MB trident rush whiffs midscreen even if dashed forward, which is true. (not the last hit though, just a couple hits in between).

Frame disadvantage is kind of a big deal because going into a neutral game compared to momentum out of a 50-50 sucks. And that frame disadvantage means your opponent gets to do what they want before you, making it not even a true neutral situation, even if it's "safe" from punishment, that's not exactly good.

50-50s have a lot to do with scoop when the scoop is a 50-50 in the F1 string, or hell, out of a few things.

Also, you said yourself it's not practical to consistently hitconfirm into FTD or rush so it's not as easy as "if they block, just rush", unless you're talking about predicting the block but that's kind of obvious.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I said trouble dealing with the mixups, not JUST scoop, but the mixups. Learn to read better because i'm not saying just scoop, it's obvious someone who can't deal with just scoop even is a threat or w/e.

There are def. some people who can fuzzy the stuff if they are familiar with Aquaman, but that's not nearly everyone even on a competitive level. Even then, that's why i'm testing their reactions, to see how they block, if they fuzzy, ect.

I find F1 to be much more useful since it 50-50s (big thing B1 does not do) and that 7 frame startup is amazingly useful. I use both but in most situations I like F1 when I have the choice unless it's a free punish with B1.

F132 is a 9 frame gap, WHOOP DEE DOO, by the time someone reacts to that hit in that string they aren't going to be punishing unless they are supes with super or have a hard read on it. A hard read on a string which isn't used much if at all anyway.

Said MB trident rush whiffs midscreen even if dashed forward, which is true. (not the last hit though, just a couple hits in between).

Frame disadvantage is kind of a big deal because going into a neutral game compared to momentum out of a 50-50 sucks. And that frame disadvantage means your opponent gets to do what they want before you, making it not even a true neutral situation, even if it's "safe" from punishment, that's not exactly good.

50-50s have a lot to do with scoop when the scoop is a 50-50 in the F1 string, or hell, out of a few things.

Also, you said yourself it's not practical to consistently hitconfirm into FTD or rush so it's not as easy as "if they block, just rush", unless you're talking about predicting the block but that's kind of obvious.
Well when you list canceling multiple things into scoop, I am going to assume that is what you are using. Is it really worth it to potentially be full combo for "checking their reactions"?. Why would you risk losing your offense to a full combo with fwd132? Since the block stun is so long is the 3 and the 2 is really slow, its not exactly hard to see and get out of. I mean I guess you could cancel fwd13 into something else to trick them into blocking, but is that really worth giving up your neutral on block string? Anyway.... aquamans 50 50s are solid, but why would you bother with anything that is going to be punished unless you have to take risks to make up some serious health, when you could just do a blockstring into trident rush, get some good chip, meter, and putting yourself pretty much at aquamans perfect range? The negative 8 doesn't matter when they can't touch you. There are only a handful of characters that can get any offense off of a blocked rush since they would have to move forward to touch you. Okay on f1 versus b1. f1 is a great string on offense, I mostly just use f1 to get my plus 3 and then b1, or I can mix up with f13. However in the neutral game, b1 is a lot better. It is a low so your opponent has to stop moving to block it, it out ranges almost every normal in the game, and it has stagger string potential, which is very very very rare in this game. On MB trident rush whiffing, let me test it and get back to you on that.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Anyone else have any input on the trident rush ? I want to get a fair amount of opinions on it if possible. Reptile Orion GGA Dizzy Tom Brady (worth a shot lol) michaelangelo Treadmill @all aqaman players I don't feel like looking up everyones tag. Let's get some discussion here, there is no reason this forum should be dead
I'm assuming your looking for input on B12, Trident Rush. I like to use primarily use B12 Trident Rush for chip damage and mind games purposes. You can get an opponent comfortable and then unless B12, Trident Scoop and play the mixup game.

I agree its character dependent. I'll chip the Hell out of superman if I can just to dome damage for example. I feel like it needs to be done grime time to time regardless just to keep ppl afraid of it and its mb.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I agree its character dependent. I'll chip the Hell out of superman if I can just to dome damage for example. I feel like it needs to be done grime time to time regardless just to keep ppl afraid of it and its mb.
Wait its a bad bad idea to use it against superman because he punishes it for full combo.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
hey you guys I just wanted to say, this coming week I will be out of town to compete in the Soap Box Derby World Championships (basically my evo). I came in second last year, so the pressure is high and I will be very focused.... and therefore not on TYM. So, if there are any questions or topics to discuss, don't be insulted if I don't answer, i will surely get to it as soon as I get back. I urge, no beg you guys to keep the discussion going in here, let's push this character to his limits, and I will talk to you when I get back.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
I main Aquaman. Heck he's been one of my favorite superheroes since the Super Friends but his in game model looks like what I picture a life sized sea monkey to look like...

dabuz

Noob

So, was there anything else you had to add regarding trident rush?

Also, I see where you're coming from and you have a solid mindset about the low risk - low reward style. It's really just a difference in preference where I like the high risk - high reward situations.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
So, was there anything else you had to add regarding trident rush?

Also, I see where you're coming from and you have a solid mindset about the low risk - low reward style. It's really just a difference in preference where I like the high risk - high reward situations.
When I get back from vacation I will make a huge post and tag you.

coolwhip

Noob
Just a couple of questions:

The frame data says Aquaman's D2 is -3 on block, but I'm sure it's more, as I can punish it with Batman's B1. I've tested this out quite a few times actually. I'm guessing this is another case of the frame data being off?

Another question, why does Aquaman's low scoop sometimes beat armored moves (say MB B3)?