What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

Hey, so I'm pretty new to aquaman and finding a little trouble with this characters and need some questions cleared up.
1. Is his main pressure the b12 when up close? Because I find that most people just block low when I get in their face.
2. Is their a better chain than going into b12 or b2 into scoop, because since the scoop isnt safe anymore, the opponent gets a free combo if it's blocked.
3. What is up with his b2u3 combos? Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. I'm assuming it has to do with the range around where you hit the opponent with the b2
I'm new to aquaman but f13 is mid to overhead IIRC. So you can mix it up like f1 scoop, or f13 scoop. Or do rush if you want to be safe.

Also you can hit confirm b2 with b12 scoop.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey, so I'm pretty new to aquaman and finding a little trouble with this characters and need some questions cleared up.
1. Is his main pressure the b12 when up close? Because I find that most people just block low when I get in their face.
2. Is their a better chain than going into b12 or b2 into scoop, because since the scoop isnt safe anymore, the opponent gets a free combo if it's blocked.
3. What is up with his b2u3 combos? Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. I'm assuming it has to do with the range around where you hit the opponent with the b2
B12 and fwd13 are his main pressure strings. Fwd1 is plus on block. Fwd13 is neutral. If you want to mix up with that overhead, go fwd 1, b12. Against a majority of the cast you can cancel into trident rush for chip, meter, space and safety. If your opponents are just holding down to block b12, just abuse them with b12 rush all day long until they have to do something else. I would refrain from using b2u3, it's kind of dumb tbh. B2 is only negative ten so at range it's safe, or if you want you can just cancel into rush. If you use just b2 you can juggle off if it with b12.

B12 and fwd13 are his main pressure strings. Fwd1 is plus on block. Fwd13 is neutral. If you want to mix up with that overhead, go fwd 1, b12. Against a majority of the cast you can cancel into trident rush for chip, meter, space and safety. If your opponents are just holding down to block b12, just abuse them with b12 rush all day long until they have to do something else. I would refrain from using b2u3, it's kind of dumb tbh. B2 is only negative ten so at range it's safe, or if you want you can just cancel into rush. If you use just b2 you can juggle off if it with b12.
Oh yea, I forgot about the f13. I really like the idea behind the f1b12 though. But about his scoop... My bnb is b12 scoop. If they block it, its free combo for them. How do i get around this?

Oh yea, I forgot about the f13. But about his scoop... My bnb is b12 scoop. If they block it, its free combo for them. How do i get around this?
Hit confirm it. You can't just throw it out all the time. You need to mix them up. People block low on aquaman a lot so doing b2, f13, or 223(IIRC) will make them think twice about holding down and let you mix them up with scoop and b1

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hit confirm it. You can't just throw it out all the time. You need to mix them up. People block low on aquaman a lot so doing b2, f13, or 223(IIRC) will make them think twice about holding down and let you mix them up with scoop and b1
He may not be able to hit confirm that, it's a tough one. Shazoo757 just cancel into rush. You lose damage but it's better to be safe. If you are punishing it should be b12 FTD anyway.if you need the damage, meter burn.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Ok guys, superman....the Hell am I supposed to do?
He needs meter to zone you, so just stay patient, if he tries to air laser you without meter burning, FTD punish. If he tries to use that slow startup laser (db3, idk what it is called) you can FTD interrupt. Make him come to you. His only tool for attacking you is fwd23, so bait it with a backdash and whiff punish, or out space him with b12, push block if necessary, d1 or d2 interrupt, etc. If you get a blockstring, do not end in trident rush, he will full combo punish. Its a footsies based matchup and your fundamentals have to be on point.

He needs meter to zone you, so just stay patient, if he tries to air laser you without meter burning, FTD punish. If he tries to use that slow startup laser (db3, idk what it is called) you can FTD interrupt. Make him come to you. His only tool for attacking you is fwd23, so bait it with a backdash and whiff punish, or out space him with b12, push block if necessary, d1 or d2 interrupt, etc. If you get a blockstring, do not end in trident rush, he will full combo punish. Its a footsies based matchup and your fundamentals have to be on point.
I would also suggest to block low against his rushdown. His overhead strings are hella easy to see and block high, also blocking low makes it easier to poke out of the f23 and backdash.

And if his is stupid enough to try an air laser from mid range, you can jump in 2 interrupting it and full combo punish him.

Very good stuff. I just discovered u could punish air laser with ftd moments ago lol.

So can I interrupt f23 with d2? I tried a few times but online....

I found keeping him within b2 range really kept him in check as I could catch him out of a jump a lot

Very good stuff. I just discovered u could punish air laser with ftd moments ago lol.

I found keeping him within b2 range really kept him in check as I could catch him out of a jump a lot

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

You can interrupt the fwd23 breath loop with d2. I wish I could tell you more about the matchup, but both characters are so well equipped everywhere on the screen that the matchup is kind of freestyle, if that makes sense. It is more about exploiting the players weaknesses than superman's.

dabuz

Noob
I found a pretty nasty corner setup for Water Shield with 1 meter. When you get your opponent in any corner combo end the combo with b123 xx Water Shield and just hold it. From there you get put into these situations:

1. Opponent did wakeup attack, MB Water Shield OR drop shield and full punish/ go for 50/50 on their block (Wakeup dependent). *Results in reset of situation*

2. Opponent blocks on getup, MB Water Shield for +6 on opponent's block leading to AM's 50-50 game. AM is immediately at B1 range so unless the opponent has a 3 frame option (b1 has 9f startup), pressing buttons with give AM a full combo, along with not reading the low. AM is 1 step away from being in F1 range, IDK the frame data on taking 1 step then canceling into F1, but considering F1 is 7F on startup, if the opponent presses any buttons it should result in a full combo punish on opponent and if they block it's a free 50-50. *Results in 50-50 that if successful gets a reset and if it fails can be used for trident rush chip or cancelling into water shield MB for another 50-50 reset*

In both situations Aquaman gets some free damage and forces the opponent to play on the defense. (Except against a few specific wakeups.)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I found a pretty nasty corner setup for Water Shield with 1 meter. When you get your opponent in any corner combo end the combo with b123 xx Water Shield and just hold it. From there you get put into these situations:

1. Opponent did wakeup attack, MB Water Shield OR drop shield and full punish/ go for 50/50 on their block (Wakeup dependent). *Results in reset of situation*

2. Opponent blocks on getup, MB Water Shield for +6 on opponent's block leading to AM's 50-50 game. AM is immediately at B1 range so unless the opponent has a 3 frame option (b1 has 9f startup), pressing buttons with give AM a full combo, along with not reading the low. AM is 1 step away from being in F1 range, IDK the frame data on taking 1 step then canceling into F1, but considering F1 is 7F on startup, if the opponent presses any buttons it should result in a full combo punish on opponent and if they block it's a free 50-50. *Results in 50-50 that if successful gets a reset and if it fails can be used for trident rush chip or cancelling into water shield MB for another 50-50 reset*

In both situations Aquaman gets some free damage and forces the opponent to play on the defense. (Except against a few specific wakeups.)
I've messed around with this setup and it's pretty good. I just never got around to testing it more in depth. I'll take it to the lab again.

This seems like a interesting set up if you have the meter (at least two bars imo one for the combo and one for this set up) but i also question the damage youre gonna lose going for this set up

When you have youre opponent cornered AM's corner bnb's and this set up are

B12: 44% bnb / 36% set up
22: 47% bnb / 39% set up
F13: 38% bnb / 30% set up
B2(into b123): 43% bnb / 33% set up

So yeah the damage dips about 8% sometimes more but still agaisnt some characters this set up may be worth it if you have te meter
It needs to be explored vs the cast

its active and i cant meter burn. i was just in water shield holding and pushing mb but nothing.
If you push anything while in watershield like 1, 2, 3, throw etc. (idk if directionals affect it cant test rn) you wont be able to MB later so youre probably hitting another button before you MB it w/o knowing it

If you push anything while in watershield like 1, 2, 3, throw etc. (idk if directionals affect it cant test rn) you wont be able to MB later so youre probably hitting another button before you MB it w/o knowing it
youre correct sir. thank you. lol