What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

OtteNx

Banned
I honestly don't understand why Ermac is not on the list. I know he is not a Top Tier char, but he have no 3-7 match-ups(If u tell that he have a 3-7 is because u played a bad Ermac player).
Just don't think people can talk about tournament viable chars just checking tournament results, since Ermac is not a popular char :/
But, i really liked the iniciative. Gratz Pig :)

AssassiN

Noob
She is everything i've got, so i'm targeting some things that will come a handy there.
If MK makes EVO2014, there is a huge possibility I'd try to make that.
Only reason why I'm not going now is because there is a I will not have enough money in time + need more time to level-up as a general player which takes a lot longer due to no offline activity here and almost no free time.

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
I honestly don't understand why Ermac is not on the list. I know he is not a Top Tier char, but he have no 3-7 match-ups(If u tell that he have a 3-7 is because u played a bad Ermac player).
Just don't think people can talk about tournament viable chars just checking tournament results, since Ermac is not a popular char :/
But, i really liked the iniciative. Gratz Pig :)
I know kenshi beats him 7-3 or worse but Idk about anyone else i don't really play him

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
No Rain or Sub-Zero?

How can they not be tournament viable and Smoke can?
Smoke can take your entire health bar in a combo, has good pokes, and an amazing overhead. So basically if you don't respect his pokes he gets a combo that you're forced to break. Sub and rain have multiple 3-7s, and i know sub has an 2-8. With those match ups i would say pretty confidently that they aren't tournament viable.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Smoke can take your entire health bar in a combo, has good pokes, and an amazing overhead. So basically if you don't respect his pokes he gets a combo that you're forced to break. Sub and rain have multiple 3-7s, and i know sub has an 2-8. With those match ups i would say pretty confidently that they aren't tournament viable.

Im like one of the few smoke players who has always said he has good and can win any matchup, no matter how bad he is- just based on the reset/breaker/meter management factor alone.

Rain doesnt have any 3-7's im sure, hes just downplayed too hard and not appreciated.

Sub maybe has hard matchups but someone who knows their bad matchups and how to go about controlling them, instead of getting controlled, he will win.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Every matchup is winnable unless it's a 10-0. Even then, there's a chance the player could outplay his opponent.

I really don't understand this North American mentality of "If I have a haard matchup, I'll counter-pick instead of levelling up my main". Like I have a hard time vs Kenshi with Sonya but do I run to Kabla? Fuck that! I work Sonya's heart-shaped ass until she can beat Kenshi :p
You play Sonya so your view on this topic is very biased. Evry matchup is winnable if your opponent is an idiot. If I as a Baraka player play an equally skilled Kenshi player, I will not win. The only way I can beat them in a set is if I am just a much better player, and even then they can still one just because of how bad the matchup is. I dont counterpick any MUs because it almost never works out for me, and I have taken games from a few kenshis and kabals. But seriously, if people travel to play in tournament and go up against a 2-8 MU, why would they not counterpick? I mean you mention Sonya and Kenshi, that matchup is 3-7 at worst. 3-7s are a pain but are still manageable. 2-8 and on are almost impossible to win at the highest possible level.

The ONLY way ever character is viable is if they have a perfect bracket where they only have 4-6s and maybe a 7-3. If Kano goes up against Kenshi or Kabal, he no longer becomes a tournament viable character.

All that being said Pig's original intention of this thread was to show how many characters have made top 5 recently. So according to his rulese every character is indeed not viable.

NKZero

Noob
I completely disagree with that statement.
I think there's more to this character than is on display at the moment...why would you disagree? I would go as far to say that Kung Lao isn't played to his full potential, and he's been discovered and excavated thoroughly and has more representatives than Sektor. This has as much to do with the fact that the game is 'young' as well as there not being that many Sektor players as anything.

I'm not trying to disrespect you or Kizzle or any other great Sektor players but I don't think anyone has played the "perfect" Sektor yet.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I think there's more to this character than is on display at the moment...why would you disagree? I would go as far to say that Kung Lao isn't played to his full potential, and he's been discovered and excavated thoroughly and has more representatives than Sektor. This has as much to do with the fact that the game is 'young' as well as there not being that many Sektor players as anything.

I'm not trying to disrespect you or Kizzle or any other great Sektor players but I don't think anyone has played the "perfect" Sektor yet.
I still don't think that makes any sense considering all the shit that I do, but ok.

NKZero

Noob
I still don't think that makes any sense considering all the shit that I do, but ok.
To be fair I haven't seen you play in a while...perhaps you have elevated your game idk. Anyways until I see iaTU used with a greater success rate, even going as far as punishing stuff on block, better use of homing missile etc. then I cannot confidently say this character is fleshed out and 'X' is his level. You never know we could find some more about him in the future.

PND_Ketchup

To be fair I haven't seen you play in a while...perhaps you have elevated your game idk. Anyways until I see iaTU used with a greater success rate, even going as far as punishing stuff on block, better use of homing missile etc. then I cannot confidently say this character is fleshed out and 'X' is his level. You never know we could find some more about him in the future.
I'm really surprised to see you saying this. I'd better stop replying.

NKZero

Noob
I'm really surprised to see you saying this. I'd better stop replying.
If there's something you wanna show me please do. I'm desperately not trying to disrespect you man and you know it. I respect your game and I hold you in high regard, but I just think because of the lack of character representation and general breakthrough there is more to him than is currently shown. That's all. Please don't take it the wrong way.

PND_Ketchup

If there's something you wanna show me please do. I'm desperately not trying to disrespect you man and you know it. I respect your game and I hold you in high regard, but I just think because of the lack of character representation and general breakthrough there is more to him than is currently shown. That's all. Please don't take it the wrong way.
If I could go to tournaments as frequently as everyone else there would have been a "breakthrough" long ago.

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
Im like one of the few smoke players who has always said he has good and can win any matchup, no matter how bad he is- just based on the reset/breaker/meter management factor alone.

Rain doesnt have any 3-7's im sure, hes just downplayed too hard and not appreciated.

Sub maybe has hard matchups but someone who knows their bad matchups and how to go about controlling them, instead of getting controlled, he will win.
Rain definitely loses bad to kenshi, and how would you control the kenshi match up with sub?